The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

2 hours ago, troph said:

that's better than our house.  we make the stupid purchases together.  ended up with a fifth wheel this past monday after first discussing on saturday.  having aligned interests is a very dangerous thing.

Well, now we need a bigger truck! Agreed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Well, now we need a bigger truck! Agreed!

haha.

the phrase "we probably can't afford an F350 right now" was said a couple of times at the RV lot.  funny how we both said "probably" as we tested each other's weakness.  thankfully we didn't go that direction, that would have been stupid.  

3 hours ago, troph said:

thankfully we didn't go that direction, that would have been stupid.  

I think I’m on friend 6 or 7 now that started with a half ton and a camper, then had a new truck within a season.  I’d have to really crunch the #’s but I’d guess they averaged 3 trips before the switch. One or two local, then a nice long one that drives the upgrade.  Just like a boat, you tend to fight the wind both ways on every trip, because why not.  

FIL has a 350 for around that time that he has put 600k miles on. The thing is bulletproof.

Back to boats. I finally got the old lady in the water and took the kids for a sail. Still havent settled on the winch pad build but am still thinking of trying carbon. My biggest issue now is getting parts. Seems if it doesnt come from west marine, it isn't being shipped. I ordered from a few random shops and it is just crickets. Everything is just to update blocks and cam cleats but until I get the parts, I am basically stuck in main only mode. We shall see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

FIL has a 350 for around that time that he has put 600k miles on. The thing is bulletproof.

Back to boats. I finally got the old lady in the water and took the kids for a sail. Still havent settled on the winch pad build but am still thinking of trying carbon. My biggest issue now is getting parts. Seems if it doesnt come from west marine, it isn't being shipped. I ordered from a few random shops and it is just crickets. Everything is just to update blocks and cam cleats but until I get the parts, I am basically stuck in main only mode. We shall see.

What exactly do you need? I can probably get it for you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

To add to my post, most of those guys had come out of 3/4’s, tired of driving them in Houston. So it didn’t take too much convincing to go back.  @troph need to start an RV thread. Someone on “help” forum suggested it not long ago. 

i'll start it now.

9 hours ago, G650 said:

What exactly do you need? I can probably get it for you.

I actually went and talked to our local hole in the wall fiberglass and painting shop and the guy had all sort of shit stockpiled for some reason. I think I actually got everything I need today. Rebuilt all cam cleats, jib track stops installed, 2 new ratchet blocks and some shock cord I needed for billy blocks among other random bolts etc. Only thing I am short is a new tiller extension but I have a shitty old one I can deal with since there is no racing now. I may have to hit you up for halyards if i cant get them in the next month. But it is pure vanity. I have new halyards already, but the guy bought some pure shit and not the top notch gp shit. Zero creep or gtfo! Also minimal weight aloft son!

Craziest thing the guy had was new plastic spreader tips. The mast is up and fine but one of the tips I had was slightly cracked somehow. I might go take the stick down tomorrow and replace both of them.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

two notable searches on her phone and computer today:  F250 and Toyota Tundra engine replacement.  deep trouble. and not the John Lewis kind of trouble either.

Ha! Make sure you get the seats with massage feature.

One of those things is not like the other. Guarantee if you upgrade tundra motor to 800hp you will still be in a 3/4 ton within a year. First time you pull that trailer to the coast with wind or rain and you’ll be white-knuckling that thing at 45mph tops.

My biggest worry is if the wife sees the credit card bill. I dont need her to see how much a quick trip to buy some parts ends up costing. I spent all my slush fund on the boat so she didnt know the amount. Sails will have to wait because she will kill me if I spend that much right now. A full set of sails cost a batten for your boat but still 🤣.

• Like 2

I will get into the whiskey one night and order them. Last I looked it is $6500 for what I need since I have a new chute already. I wonder how long that storm will take to blow over if I pull the trigger. Honestly I think it may cost me a new car. She is already floating that idea. Fml

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Texaus said:

One of those things is not like the other. Guarantee if you upgrade tundra motor to 800hp you will still be in a 3/4 ton within a year. First time you pull that trailer to the coast with wind or rain and you’ll be white-knuckling that thing at 45mph tops.

Listen to this man, he’s obviously some type of med.  Remember, anything can get it moving forward, it’s about control, and stopping.  

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Awesome. Got the 1500lb shipping now. 

I did too. Was just going to order a handle, the swap is simple. But after 11 years, figured the extra $40 was worth it.   Noticed today that my winch is from the same brand. It’s going strong as well.  They’ve both held up pretty good for a saltwater rig, tbh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texaus said:

Ha! Make sure you get the seats with massage feature.

The Tundra is like a 5/8 Ton truck. Definitely beefier than a 1/2 ton, but not quite a true 3/4. I'd be comfortable pulling any bumper pull trailer with mine. I tow my skiff (admittedly not that big) to Cocoderie several times a year, and I just set the cruise to 80 and go. Doesn't even downshift going uphill. Stops fine, too. I've towed 3 cows in a stock trailer from Llano to Mason once, and it didn't push it too bad when braking. I had an F150 with the 5.4 Triton prior to the Tundra and a Silverado Z71 prior to that and the Tundra is more truck than either of them. 

That said, if you've got the means nothing tows like a big diesel. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 1

I agree and think the modern 1/2 ton is good for 90% of time. A travel trailer is a whole different animal than a boat though. The wind load on them can shake a 3/4 ton easy whe it’s just right. A big bumper pull is on a 1/2 ton is scary as fuck at times.

20 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The Tundra is like a 3/8 Ton truck. Definitely beefier than a 1/2 ton, but not quite a true 3/4. I'd be comfortable pulling any bumper pull trailer with mine. I tow my skiff (admittedly not that big) to Cocoderie several times a year, and I just set the cruise to 80 and go. Doesn't even downshift going uphill. Stops fine, too. I've towed 3 cows in a stock trailer from Llano to Mason once, and it didn't push it too bad when braking. I had an F150 with the 5.4 Triton prior to the Tundra and a Silverado Z71 prior to that and the Tundra is more truck than either of them. 

That said, if you've got the means nothing tows like a big diesel. 

Ummm....

3/8 Beefier than 1/2???

The Tundra is like a 5/8 Ton truck. Definitely beefier than a 1/2 ton, but not quite a true 3/4.

My fishing partner says the same thing about his ecoboost, but can’t hold 6th at 75 with a very sleek bay boat.  I’ll agree the tundras are beefier than many of the older half tons, and probably some of the new ones (I don’t follow them) but they are still a far cry from any brand 3/4. 1/2, 5/8-ton whatever aren’t going to handle these type of loads. The first two are every day, the last one, lulz. Maybe a few miles limping along, but won’t be long before something breaks.
66bfb8c91b93355c7e329767f3efaa4e.jpg

9317eef5503c0586c1dd119ba7e5a961.jpg
14 bales at 1500#.
9d4b901bc4a93762dec4295c10995d7c.jpg
26 bales on a ~40’ with tandem duals. Overloaded af, bet his steering is light light light.

Got to the boat today and did all the hubs, got the tires back to 50 even, new tags on boat and trailer, cleaned down the grooves and greased jack plate, got the batteries topped off on charge while there, and put in a new extinguisher (which of course needed a slightly different bracket than the original). New console upholstery comes back from POC tomorrow and can’t wait to get it on. Brand spanking new 26” Bravo 1 tracking says it’ll be here Wednesday. Having boat 5 mins from house for first time ever has been a great experience, so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

wonder how long that storm will take to blow over if I pull the trigger. Honestly I think it may cost me a new car. She is already floating that idea. Fml

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who cares. Just do it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, troph said:

How close are you to water?

West Houston.  But boat stayed in a barn I built for it in Brazoria.  So it was 1:15 to it each way just to get it. For shakedown trips and whatnot the San Bernard and ICW is only 10 mins for where it was stored.  Or Matagorda harbor 45 mins away.  It was just a pain to get down there, do work, then get back.  Now I stop by a few times a week for a half hour at a time and tinker with shit. Idea was to get it back to new (I keep it as close as possible, open checkbook) and then maybe take it back down in a few months. But I’m thinking it is going to stay up here.  

a typical trip to POC would be head down and get it, head back to Houston so I can detail and make ready.  Take to POC for a weekend, drag back to houston so it can be post detailed.  Drag back to Braz then back home.  So an extra 6-8 hours of driving because I’m OCD about putting it up right.  

• Like 2

So the wife is pressing for a bigger boat.  I am the one resisting because a) I have a boat that suits my needs, and B) I don’t want to spend  the dough on a next level boat.  It’s weird that I am fighting against it,  but I really like the boat we have.  And the money that this would command is not something I’m Down with.  But I would be stoked.  If I did, I’d be in the market for a Beneteau 423 I think.  This 3 cabin is what I outdoor get. I guess at some point this is why we work.

• Like 2

Well, I got the ignition switch replaced on the old 1998 Ski Nautique.  Simple job, but my family thinks I am a rock star of a real man.  Kudos to the design engineers at Correct Craft back in the day, who decided that the entire dash pod should be held on with four thumb screws  So tremendously easy to get it removed and get under there as opposed to my old MasterCraft, which had four Phillips head screws that liked to sink through the vinyl.

Obligatory picture, which shows nothing relevant to the post.

ACt-C-3f0tq-Js-NLUj-Lmm-L63h2kb-Flv0z-b-

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

That's bad ass. How much for something like that?

About 130-145k.  But as any boat owner would tell you, the purchase price is the starting point.  My wife is under the delusion that it will be cheaper to own a newer boat than an older boat.  I’m not sure if I should wake her up on that or not.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

About 130-145k.  But as any boat owner would tell you, the purchase price is the starting point.  My wife is under the delusion that it will be cheaper to own a newer boat than an older boat.  I’m not sure if I should wake her up on that or not.

You should scope out something like a Dufour 44

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/dufour-dufour-44-performance-3663615/

• Like 2

1 minute ago, G650 said:

You should scope out something like a Dufour 44

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/dufour-dufour-44-performance-3663615/

Not a bad option. The part that kills me is ditching the boat I own.  I love this thing.  Not to mention the price.  But I can pull the trigger for the right boat.  We shall see.  Order of operations is to sell this first,  then buy.  I don’t want to be a two boat owner.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Considering the price of a new wakeboat that seems pretty reasonable.  I would have guessed 200k. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Order of operations is to sell this first,  then buy.  I don’t want to be a two boat owner.

Oh no. I can’t imagine you without a boat.  

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Considering the price of a new wakeboat that seems pretty reasonable.  I would have guessed 200k. 

So closer to 66% of a new wake boat?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

20% down payment on a decent-sized center console?

These days about right. I’m not a skier/wake guy, but I remember when a nice one was 100k.  Then this year at boat show I saw some for 300k.  Where the hell did 200k go?   Sort of like bayboats.  Mine almost doubled in price 18 months after I bought it.  Crazy. 

I remember when the SANTE came out and it was around $70k. As far as wakeboard go, that one stock with 1000 lbs of lead threw one of the best wakes I’ve ever ridden.

With all the wakesurfers now, boats have gotten bigger and the tech has gotten insane.

Still plenty of reasonable options out there in the wakeboarding industry. I’m trying to decide whether to go newer or older again and there are plenty of good options well under $100k even on newer boats. One thing that the high priced ones have done is to keep the used market inflated. I looked at an ‘07 SANTE 220 recently that was more expensive than what I sold mine for probably 7-8 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

I remember when the SANTE came out and it was around $70k. As far as wakeboard go, that one stock with 1000 lbs of lead threw one of the best wakes I’ve ever ridden.

With all the wakesurfers now, boats have gotten bigger and the tech has gotten insane.

Yeah, I looked at what a standard SN costs now, and it's close to $70K.  Paid $16,300 for mine in 2007 and probably could get pretty close to that now, but won't because the TSC1 hull is the best 3 event hull for the money ever built (and I only do one event poorly).

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

Yeah, I looked at what a standard SN costs now, and it's close to $70K.  Paid $16,300 for mine in 2007 and probably could get pretty close to that now, but won't because the TSC1 hull is the best 3 event hull for the money ever built (and I only do one event poorly).

You’re talking to the best Men’s Beginner Wakeboard champ in Houston (2004ish). I’ve landed an flip. I do not flip or spin. I quit trying 12 years ago after I turned 30. Crashes really started hurting. I still love to ride, though.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

You’re talking to the best Men’s Beginner Wakeboard champ in Houston (2004ish). I’ve landed an flip. I do not flip or spin. I quit trying 12 years ago after I turned 30. Crashes really started hurting. I still love to ride, though.

Bet you could do it all behind an old 205v, too.  I'm no wakeboarder, but I always heard that old 205 MC hull was the end all be all of wakeboard hulls for the money.

One of my boat's better days was pulling a junior international skier and his dad through 38 off.  They were coming through town and I was available (aint' I a whoore). 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1