The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

205 hull is the best all around hull ever made and the V is the best wake for my style I’ve ridden.  I’ve owned 4 of them, 2 V’s and 2 DD’s and every time I go a different direction I end up going back. I’ve run them through many a slalom course, pulled wakeboards the same day, and pulled for jumps until the lake police made us remove it. I’m probably done with them now that no one slaloms and we just ride the wakeboards, but never say never I guess.

Edited by Brew

On 5/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, Sbbruin said:

Came down to prep for the first open weekend at Catalina next weekend.  Had a great zoom call with some high school buds, and now chilling on my favorite place ever, my boat.

I saw the news that Catalina was open for bidness and thought of you instantly hauling ass tothe marina and prepping the boat to go.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

About 130-145k.  But as any boat owner would tell you, the purchase price is the starting point.  My wife is under the delusion that it will be cheaper to own a newer boat than an older boat.  I’m not sure if I should wake her up on that or not.

Mrs. Bruin: But honey if we had a bigger boat the whole family can spend more time and get more enjoyment from the boat, not just you staying on the boat by yourself. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, G650 said:

This is a crime.

The bigger crime is that there is rarely a wakeboard back there any more either. 80%+ of the hours on my boat the last 4 years with a rope behind it involved 2-5 tubes. The other 20% was heavily weighted towards surfing.

Running the course on the slalom was never my thing, it was my Dad’s deal. I wakeboarded heavily up until my knees couldn’t take it and the risk of injury outweighed the enjoyment. Really, it was probably more that the guys I rode with and the girls that were constantly around slowly disappeared as they got married and I had my kids that were coming with me. I moved over to the skate then, but I would rather pull the kids than ride anything at this point. Getting older sucks.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, G650 said:

Your pops was my kinda guy.

He’s pretty much everyone’s kinda guy. At 63 he still jump starts on the slalom from shallow water, knee boards over his homemade ramps, rides it off the dock when he wants to show off, barefoots from a pole off my wakeboard Tower, pretty much only eats meat off a smoker, and has a never ending supply of Budweiser and Jack Daniels. He is only good for one run a weekend now but he still gets out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Mrs. Bruin: But honey if we had a bigger boat the whole family can spend more time and get more enjoyment from the boat, not just you staying on the boat by yourself. 

It's part of the reason I still fish out of a 16' Hell's Bay and not an 18' HB or East Cape...if I get a bigger boat, more people are going to want to come. 

Speaking of bigger skiffs...Chittum just rolled out a 21' poling skiff. Will be the first production skiff to break $100K. 

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's part of the reason I still fish out of a 16' Hell's Bay and not an 18' HB or East Cape...if I get a bigger boat, more people are going to want to come. 

Speaking of bigger skiffs...Chittum just rolled out a 21' poling skiff. Will be the first production skiff to break $100K. 

That's why I want to add a Sabine to my fleet. People.......not a big fan.

He’s pretty much everyone’s kinda guy. At 63 he still jump starts on the slalom from shallow water, knee boards over his homemade ramps, rides it off the dock when he wants to show off, barefoots from a pole off my wakeboard Tower, pretty much only eats meat off a smoker, and has a never ending supply of Budweiser and Jack Daniels. He is only good for one run a weekend now but he still gets out.

giphy.gif
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So where is that?  Looks chill.

Lake Travis just west of Austin. Flood control lake in the highland lakes chain that runs through Texas and ultimately down to the coast. Nice little cove with a couple mooring points, one side of which has not been developed and the other side only lightly developed. One of our go to spots when we just want to chill and swim off the back.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Lake Travis just west of Austin. Flood control lake in the highland lakes chain that runs through Texas and ultimately down to the coast. Nice little cove with a couple mooring points, one side of which has not been developed and the other side only lightly developed. One of our go to spots when we just want to chill and swim off the back.

Been on Lake Travis.  Nice.  Down on the boat now, fam coming in the am and headed to Catalina.  Weather looks to be pretty perfect.

• Like 1

Just now, troph said:

Which cove is that?

Third one back towards main body, on opposite side as you come out of the marina.  Just don't tell anyone else about the two buoys back there.  I hate having to throw out an anchor when they are taken.   

• Haha 1

Third one back towards main body, on opposite side as you come out of the marina.  Just don't tell anyone else about the two buoys back there.  I hate having to throw out an anchor when they are taken.   

Nice !

We aren’t at the marina anymore we moved our boat to our neighborhood marina on the south side of bee creek / north of rough hollow right at that 90 degree bend - forget the name of it. We still gas up at the marina bc I’m loyal AF and love love love Jodi and Michelle. Anyway we will take a look but we usually end up father west. That looks like a nice spot though!

12 minutes ago, troph said:

Nice !

We aren’t at the marina anymore we moved our boat to our neighborhood marina on the south side of bee creek / north of rough hollow right at that 90 degree bend - forget the name of it. We still gas up at the marina bc I’m loyal AF and love love love Jodi and Michelle. Anyway we will take a look but we usually end up father west. That looks like a nice spot though!

I know where you are talking about.  We cruised that small cove today too.  Also made a little run up around and past the reserve before turning back to moor up and swim. 

1 hour ago, Texaus said:

I just got off water too. Took the inflatable sups out. Gonna go tomorrow too. Weather turns to shit for awhile.
b07d7ee47b9bc716cae32fb9a6007d36.jpg

we have a Bali inflatable SUP and its pretty legit.  Plus 3 kayaks.  one guy last year said we looked like we were on safari.  I smiled and said "fuck you" under my breath.  His "yacht" was pristine but boring.  they had a teen close to my kids age and he looked bored stiff while my kids were kayaking, fishing, snorkling, etc.  so what if I look like a hippie hobo boat relative to these Newporter kooks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I have no idea where you keep your boat at the start of your post....but from your description, and the pic, I know exactly where you are in the pic. Life long lake rat. We used to go back there in HS and chill. Your secret is safe with me.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 3

On 5/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, Goofyboy said:

You’re talking to the best Men’s Beginner Wakeboard champ in Houston (2004ish). I’ve landed an flip. I do not flip or spin. I quit trying 12 years ago after I turned 30. Crashes really started hurting. I still love to ride, though.

Lol, was this the old GCWA days?  I never could flip for control freak reasons but managed to get several huge bruises in the process.  I did finally learn the spin after breaking a knuckle.  At 43, my knees, ribs, and everything else say honey bunches of nopes to those things.  

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 8:39 PM, T-shirt Sip said:

I’m not ballin like some of you fools so my little boat is really going to bring down the value of this thread. I picked her up a couple of weeks ago and am really happy so far. 

spacer.png

Avatar checks out for some good motorboatin' 

I’m not ballin like some of you fools so my little boat is really going to bring down the value of this thread. I picked her up a couple of weeks ago and am really happy so far. 
49921333531_c60a0b43ab_z.jpg

Any boat that gets you on the water is a great boat. I mean, did you see the motor and transom pic of my shitty catfish jon boat? There’s a reason I didn’t post a pic of the whole thing
  • Like 4

On 5/18/2020 at 11:10 AM, utee94 said:

I still slalom.  I'm probably the only person I ever see out on the lake doing it these days.

We're still slalom skiers, too.

When it's rough, this Maherajah lonboard is fun on a 150' line.

MahaGSTop%255B1%255D.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Texaus said:

What am I missing? Is it wrong to anchor up and let the womenfolk and kids pump up paddle boards and get the fuck off the boat and give me some peace?

Just throw them over the side and see if they sink or swim.

I'm just prejudiced against SUPs because there is always some kook in the lineup on a SUP who is paddling in from a mile out and fucking it up for the rest of us. Actually using them on lakes and in anchorages and stuff is what they are intended for.

Mostly I just want to give Bruin shit.

Just throw them over the side and see if they sink or swim.

I'm just prejudiced against SUPs because there is always some kook in the lineup on a SUP who is paddling in from a mile out and fucking it up for the rest of us. Actually using them on lakes and in anchorages and stuff is what they are intended for.

Mostly I just want to give Bruin shit.

I'd expect nothing less.

Kayak fun with my baby girl.
69886d247f05c06b7d12eef8ec51d56d.jpg
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

BTW I blew my main along the leech at the first reef point.  I think it can be repaired.  Replaced the Genoa a couple of years ago, and the main is otherwise in decent shape.  But it’s always something on this motherfucker.

Dacron?

12 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

BTW I blew my main along the leech at the first reef point.  I think it can be repaired.  Replaced the Genoa a couple of years ago, and the main is otherwise in decent shape.  But it’s always something on this motherfucker.

That sucks. Will you be able to sail back with the 2nd reef in?

That sucks. Will you be able to sail back with the 2nd reef in?

On our way back now.  Pretty glassy so under power.  Had headsail up for a bit but wind died out.  Have had a pod of about a thousand dolphin following us for the last 20 mins

7f344029f8825d2f9cf203740d873257.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, markstanco said:

150 foot line?

Mynigga.jpg. that's awesome. We are old.

Yeah, it's the recreational version of a racing ski.  All wooden.  7' long.  Side cut is about 1.5" or so.  150' line and 45 or mph.  Big carving turns.  You barely can hear the boat.  Chop is not really an issue either.  Bought it back when they were a lot cheaper from the looks of his website.  Whole lot of fun.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

So I was about to pull the trigger on a new bottom job, topside, genoa and trailer repaint when this weekend I was talking to our next door ranch owner. He is looking to sell. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the cash together to buy that. Fml. I need to stick to one thing. Boats and hoes, or ranches and does....

54 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

So I was about to pull the trigger on a new bottom job, topside, genoa and trailer repaint when this weekend I was talking to our next door ranch owner. He is looking to sell. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the cash together to buy that. Fml. I need to stick to one thing. Boats and hoes, or ranches and does....

Talk about an awesome problem to have.