The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

So I was about to pull the trigger on a new bottom job, topside, genoa and trailer repaint when this weekend I was talking to our next door ranch owner. He is looking to sell. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the cash together to buy that. Fml. I need to stick to one thing. Boats and hoes, or ranches and does....

giphy.gif

So I was about to pull the trigger on a new bottom job, topside, genoa and trailer repaint when this weekend I was talking to our next door ranch owner. He is looking to sell. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the cash together to buy that. Fml. I need to stick to one thing. Boats and hoes, or ranches and does....

But if it's gotta be one or the other, I think we all know the answer
giphy.gif

Lol, was this the old GCWA days?  I never could flip for control freak reasons but managed to get several huge bruises in the process.  I did finally learn the spin after breaking a knuckle.  At 43, my knees, ribs, and everything else say honey bunches of nopes to those things.  

Yep. I forgot what year I won Beginner men’s. The club is still around and having two events a year. Not a lot of old timers are left though.

Quick questions for boat fanatics. I've never owned a boat in my life. I am a boat idiot. I'm old 50+. However, I'm seriously looking at buying a boat for fishing and skiing/tubing for family. We'd have 6 people in the boat at any one time, max, usually 2-4. I think we are interested in either fish & ski or a deck boat.  Here are the questions:

1. Cost vs MSRP - how much does it cost vs MSRP. I'm very well-versed in negotiating on cars but have no clue about boats. 

2. Brands and models - any recommendations? I think we only need the smallest size, like 19', and I like the ones that look more like ski boats than fishing boats.

3. Features - no clue at all on critical features to have, including inboard vs outboard, etc.  I've started researching but it's overwhelming. Can't someone just tell me what to buy? While I'm very picky about my car research, I just don't feel like doing it for a boat.

what else should I know?

giphy.gif

This is ideal but understand the dilemma. I only want to own the land that connects to mine and to paraphrase Kenneth Grahame: there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.

But honestly, based on your experience level and wants. Boat club membership first before you buy.

This is great advice. Take the summer to figure out what you like and don’t like, what size boat works best, etc.

Figure out what your kids want to do then gravitate towards that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If that’s the budget, I say two boats. 30k on gently used 21’ I/o bowrider (chaparral or cobalt if you find a good deal). 20k on used 18’ center console for fishing.

This is a really good idea. I found a 27 foot 2001 Colbalt for my first boat. Man it was awesome. Picked it up for $20k. Only thing it really needed before I sold it was new upholstery which I replaced. Smooooth ride.

And fishing boats are some of slickest rides out there, especially a gently used center console.

But one thing is certain, those are two entirely different boats for different reasons.

Pick one or other or get both.

But honestly, based on your experience level and wants. Boat club membership first before you buy.

This is too. That’s how we started. Woulda stayed until I figured out how much access I required and how much I enjoy late evening boating and realized the boat club didn’t work for me the way I needed it to. But by then I knew exactly what I wanted and found it.

We were out tonight. The smell of the lake when the sun is retreating is a smell I might remember in my dying days. The sight of the swells rolling out in front of the boat with the sun reflecting and shadows forming is something I hope I remember in my last breaths. Man it was one of those perfect Texas Spring evenings.

• Like 5

Location? Fresh or salt water? What kind of fishing? Bass fishing on a lake? Bay fishing for trout and reds?

6 adults or 2 adults and 4 kids?

Great advice. We are going to try a boat club first. Fresh water fishing only, 4 to 6 adults.

11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Quick questions for boat fanatics. I've never owned a boat in my life. I am a boat idiot. I'm old 50+. However, I'm seriously looking at buying a boat for fishing and skiing/tubing for family. We'd have 6 people in the boat at any one time, max, usually 2-4. I think we are interested in either fish & ski or a deck boat.  Here are the questions:

1. Cost vs MSRP - how much does it cost vs MSRP. I'm very well-versed in negotiating on cars but have no clue about boats. 

2. Brands and models - any recommendations? I think we only need the smallest size, like 19', and I like the ones that look more like ski boats than fishing boats.

3. Features - no clue at all on critical features to have, including inboard vs outboard, etc.  I've started researching but it's overwhelming. Can't someone just tell me what to buy? While I'm very picky about my car research, I just don't feel like doing it for a boat.

what else should I know?

Don’t buy a new boat. Find a gently used boat. Thank me later.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:57 PM, dcbc said:

Yeah, it's the recreational version of a racing ski.  All wooden.  7' long.  Side cut is about 1.5" or so.  150' line and 45 or mph.  Big carving turns.  You barely can hear the boat.  Chop is not really an issue either.  Bought it back when they were a lot cheaper from the looks of his website.  Whole lot of fun.

What lake are you on?  We’d probably be carving from shore to shore on my stretch of LBJ with that line.  Sounds like a lot of fun though.

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Don’t buy a new boat. Find a gently used boat. Thank me later.

This is where to start if you don’t go the boat club route. There are so many ways to damage a boat until you learn the lake you’re on, learn how to load/unload, etc. As someone that has been on/around boats for all of my 41 years there is still something that pops up and kicks me in the nuts most years. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, but it’s a constant learning process that can teach very expensive lessons. I’m moving over to salt water now and damn if it’s not almost like starting over.

If you decide to buy and not go the boat club route, I would go outboard for my first boat with a decent newer model 20-21 foot fish and ski / dual console type. They are easier to get worked on, easier to control, easier to deal with in bad situations, etc. An I/O would be my next choice. No way would I recommend an inboard to a first time boat owner.

Another option would be to just rent a few times to get your hands around operating a boat without spending what you spend for a boat club.

Make sure to take a boater’s safety course. Too many people on the water don’t know shit about being on the water.

Edited by Brew

7 hours ago, Clackles said:

What lake are you on?  We’d probably be carving from shore to shore on my stretch of LBJ with that line.  Sounds like a lot of fun though.

Around here, I've ridden it on Lake Tyler.  I've ridden it on the Llano arm of LBJ years and years ago (early in the morning).  You have to find a time when things aren't crowded.  And 40+ mph in our Ski Nautique when it's choppy is a bit of a beating on the folks in the boat.  So keeping it a bit slower or using a regular line is an option.

21 hours ago, troph said:

We were out tonight. The smell of the lake when the sun is retreating is a smell I might remember in my dying days. The sight of the swells rolling out in front of the boat with the sun reflecting and shadows forming is something I hope I remember in my last breaths. Man it was one of those perfect Texas Spring evenings.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.  I hope...

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 6:51 PM, Sbbruin said:

BTW I blew my main along the leech at the first reef point.  I think it can be repaired.  Replaced the Genoa a couple of years ago, and the main is otherwise in decent shape.  But it’s always something on this motherfucker.

Follow up- took it to the loft today.  $380 for the repair and a bunch of other minor stitching repairs and one new slide.  Not bad at all.  So now time to chill while my daughter is having four 14 yo girls in our backyard for a social distancing campfire and reconnect. 

07174FE7-B8CC-49A7-AFDE-7F7DD9431B44.jpeg

This is where to start if you don’t go the boat club route. There are so many ways to damage a boat until you learn the lake you’re on, learn how to load/unload, etc. As someone that has been on/around boats for all of my 41 years there is still something that pops up and kicks me in the nuts most years. I wouldn’t trade it for anything, but it’s a constant learning process that can teach very expensive lessons. I’m moving over to salt water now and damn if it’s not almost like starting over.
If you decide to buy and not go the boat club route, I would go outboard for my first boat with a decent newer model 20-21 foot fish and ski / dual console type. They are easier to get worked on, easier to control, easier to deal with in bad situations, etc. An I/O would be my next choice. No way would I recommend an inboard to a first time boat owner.
Another option would be to just rent a few times to get your hands around operating a boat without spending what you spend for a boat club.
Make sure to take a boater’s safety course. Too many people on the water don’t know shit about being on the water.

Ok this is so concerning that I’m gong to just go rent boats for the next six months. If I get hooked, then I’ll think about a combo fish and ski boat like Tahoe or Chaparral.

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Ok this is so concerning that I’m gong to just go rent boats for the next six months. If I get hooked, then I’ll think about a combo fish and ski boat like Tahoe or Chaparral.

Better yet, pull the equivalent of Wulaw Horn and go buy a $100k inboard and start trying to throw backflips immediately. After a rental of two, you’ll know whether it’s for you or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Teaching these three a sense of adventure and curiosity about the world in the age video games and smart phones may be my only objective.

I’m so grateful for having the chance to enjoy living so close to such an amazing lake.

dd635e5efe8c0171500c1a609996b3de.jpg

• Like 1

what are people's thoughts on outboard motor vs inboard/outboard if we ended up going with a Fish & Ski type boat? Also, how big of a deal is a livewell for the casual fisherman? Ive noticed there are many bowriders or deck boats that might be good enough for casual fishing but don't have livewells or bait boxes.

Personally, I don’t care for the aesthetics of a bowrider with an outboard. Also, one of the main hangout areas is the swim platform and the outboard kinda fucks that up. I’m certainly not dogging on outboards, they are marvels of engineering and I’ve owned several on fishing boats. The I/o will also give you a bit more maintenance hassle at end of year having to drain engine block of water. But there is nothing quite like the rumble of a v8 motor under the cowl.

I wouldnt sweat the livewell on a non fishing boat. If you want it just for bait on the few times you need minnows, just use a bait bucket and toss it over the side every so often.

Giving this a second thought and it seems the fishing is a big component to your wants. A bowrider is not a serious fishing boat. You can certainly post up somewhere and drop a line or bobber fish with the kiddos, but trolling and casting to fish are kinda not what it does. Just fyi

what are people's thoughts on outboard motor vs inboard/outboard if we ended up going with a Fish & Ski type boat? Also, how big of a deal is a livewell for the casual fisherman? Ive noticed there are many bowriders or deck boats that might be good enough for casual fishing but don't have livewells or bait boxes.

I/O all the way. Outboard if you’re swimming etc sucks. Also towing kids on toys you’ll want an I/O for that too. Depends on what you mean by casual fishing. You don’t even need live bait if you fish casually.

Couldn’t disagree more if you’re planning on doing any significant fishing. With an I/O you would be severely limited on where you are going to be able to fish or risk destroying an out drive. People swim around outboards all the time in salt water and on pontoons without issue.

With an I/O you’re going to be limited to trolling or throwing an anchor and fishing away from structure. Buy an I/O and a cheap fishing boat if you like the I/O. More boats is always a good answer.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 2

He said casual fishing. I’d actually say if you casually fish, don’t have a boat for fishing at all. My first boat I thought I wanted a fish and ski but was thankfully talked out of it. Fish at ponds, creeks, rent a boat, hire a guide, or buy a skiff or a cheap fishing boat. Don’t sacrifice everything great about recreational boating so you might go fishing 3-4 times a year.

This is my response to a post from Brew last year regarding a dual console boat for bay and lake use. This type of boat has worked out well for our needs.

DC's are definitely a compromise boats but great for boating with kids. Mine's not new but I have a 2005 Key West 2020DC with  Yamaha F150.  I've had it 30 miles out of Freeport on a Saturday fishing for snapper and kings and towed the kids on tubes and skis at the lake on Sunday.  I can fish 3 pretty easy and we take 5 or 6 out for watersports.  We have towed the boat up to Arkansas to Lake Ouchita and DeGray,  down to Corpus, over to Destin and a bunch of lakes in  East and Central Texas.  Most of our family vacations centered around taking the boat somewhere we hadn't been before.
Came real close to buying a Robalo R227 about 6 or 7 years ago and it or the R247 would be on my shortlist for upgrading.   If I had Surly 1% money, I would have a Grady Freedom 275 with twin 250s.

17afd783-1.jpg
3526dcb5-1.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=223535&stc=1&d=1250519294

attachment.php?attachmentid=163365&stc=1&d=1216672145
attachment.php?attachmentid=313885&stc=1&d=1282577779
attachment.php?attachmentid=313884&stc=1&d=1282577779

61a598f6-1.jpg

1 hour ago, troph said:

He said casual fishing. I’d actually say if you casually fish, don’t have a boat for fishing at all. My first boat I thought I wanted a fish and ski but was thankfully talked out of it. Fish at ponds, creeks, rent a boat, hire a guide, or buy a skiff or a cheap fishing boat. Don’t sacrifice everything great about recreational boating so you might go fishing 3-4 times a year.

My first boat was an 89 Ebbtide 180 with a 150 Johnson. We slalomed, wakeboarded, pulled 3 tubes, kneeboarded etc behind it and it was the same setup as their fish and ski just with no trolling motor. You could do everything with it and it worked great until we really went hard core on wakeboarding and I upgraded to a PS 205. 

The next person I see really fishing off an I/O and not just getting a line wet will be the first. You can’t put an I/O in places you can put an outboard at least in the lakes where I am. You’re also not putting a trolling motor on pretty much any I/O out there (looks like Chapparal makes an I/O version of their fish and ski so they may have a setup.) Again, if it’s dropping the kids off on the bank and letting them fish then whatever. If you’re going to fish from the boat with any sort of frequency, don’t get an I/O in my opinion Hell, even a pontoon would be a better purchase and honestly it can be a great do it all lake boat for most people. I’m not an I/O fan in general though. They are cruisers and I don’t cruise. We pull all day which only an inboard excels at and then hang out on the pontoon as a party barge setup. Sometimes fishing from the pontoon is better than any fishing boat made. Everyone has space.

Agree with Davidg on the DC’s, the only problem I’ve had and the reason I still haven’t bought one is the lack of a trolling motor setup on newer ones and the high freeboard for lake use. I’m still leaning towards another wake boat and buying an older 22 foot bay boat to fish out of.

Edited by Brew

I agree with everything there, but his question was an outboard or an I/o on a bowrider.

I agree with troph and am assuming he is talking about lake use. I/o all the way if fishing is a secondary/casual use and his choice is outboard or I/o. All else being equal, outboard is just going to get in the way.

If he wants to fish primarily, bowrider is not the boat, I/o or outboard. He would have same experience fishing from an I/o or outboard powered bowrider, but much better experience with an I/o bowrider doing everything else on the lake.

My original suggestion was an I/o bowrider and center console for fishing. I have a v-drive wake boat and center console fish boat. There is no boat that does both well.

Rather than completely edit my last post, I’m going to add that after looking at the Tahoe and Chapparal fish and ski’s (if that’s the style you decide to go with) I may consider the I/O too. They run the same hull setup on both models, so the draft is the same with either setup. They are really more hybrid than a true I/O that I’m picturing. I’ve never even seen one in the area of the country I am on a lot or on the water, but it’s an interesting setup.

Edited by Brew

13 minutes ago, Texaus said:

I agree with everything there, but his question was an outboard or an I/o on a bowrider.

I agree with troph and am assuming he is talking about lake use. I/o all the way if fishing is a secondary/casual use and his choice is outboard or I/o. All else being equal, outboard is just going to get in the way.

If he wants to fish primarily, bowrider is not the boat, I/o or outboard. He would have same experience fishing from an I/o or outboard powered bowrider, but much better experience with an I/o bowrider doing everything else on the lake.

My original suggestion was an I/o bowrider and center console for fishing. I have a v-drive wake boat and center console fish boat. There is no boat that does both well.

They both make a fish and ski model that I think he is looking at. They are much more DC than true bow rider. The front cushions come out and turn the front into a casting platform with a seat. It’s actually a pretty interesting amalgamation of a fish and ski / DC with the benefits of an I/O. The Chapparal version looks to be a better setup. If you’re not hard core on any of the different sports, it probably works pretty well.

As far as the outboard getting in the way, I don’t see it. We never had an issue with it as it had the same size back deck as an I/O to hang out on and you’re not going off the back middle of either one. At least with the outboard everyone knows where the motor/prop is at all times. Like everything, it’s all personal preference.

Edited by Brew

I haven’t looked at those models. Convertible front casting deck sounds very cool.

I’m more speaking to the extended swim platform on an I/o. Definitely more room to hang back ther with no outboard

Edit:

And chaparral is miles better quality than a Tahoe

Really appreciate the input. I have been looking at the Chaparral and Tahoe Fish and Ski’s. We haven’t fished much over the years for a thousand reasons and I’m not sure how much we will fish now, but I’ve been wanting to find time to try it for year. I used to fish Travis and LBJ a lot when I was a kid.

The wife wants to cruise around the lake periodically, let the adult kids take it out for skiing and swimming periodically. Wife and I can’t ski anymore because of health challenges. We could tube or kneeboard.

2 minutes ago, baboso said:

I am still trying to picture 4 to 6 people fishing at the same time from one boat.  Things got cramped when we had 3 people fishing from the Champion bass boat I used to own.  

Back when I was a kid, my family contributed 3 lures to the wall of shame at the ER in Durant, OK.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 10:35 PM, troph said:

But one thing is certain, those are two entirely different boats for different reasons.

Pick one or other or get both.

All kinds of this.  I guess it depends on what "casual" fishing means, but I'd get one for cruising, and use guides for the fishing, or a cheap version of both.   Please note I use a very specific type of fishing boat built for specific purposes.  I still take the family out on rare occasion, and it works - so opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.  That said, it only works because they've never been in a purpose built cruiser/ski/wake, and don't know any better.  

On 5/30/2020 at 8:27 AM, Brew said:

Too many people on the water don’t know shit about being on the water.

Understatement of the entire thread.