The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Anyone else get caught up in the wormhole of Haulover Inlet videos?  There seems to be 2 or 3 different guys that post these.   Lots of nice boats running out of that inlet and lots of idiots along with them.

That cat at 1:29 makes it look so easy

What kind of boat? Is it turning over or is it dead?

Now is the absolute wrong time to be buying a boat it looks like. Pricing is stupid and decent ones are gone quickly. Emailed an offer on an X-30 the other day after the dealership posted it and they responded it sold a few minutes after posting. May be sitting the summer out for the first time in a long time.

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

I agree but I still can’t wrap my head around dropping close to 1,000,000 on a center console. Give me a sportfisher with a salon, multiple bedrooms, and full kitchen.

Who needs a bed when you can throw a bean bag on the deck? I’m with you though. The stability of them in rougher seas is a huge plus, but I’m probably not going out those days. I have been intrigued by the Calcutta 263 lately though.

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

I agree but I still can’t wrap my head around dropping close to 1,000,000 on a center console. Give me a sportfisher with a salon, multiple bedrooms, and full kitchen.

I’m with you, but the ability to get out there and back with speed is important to some. And they do that well.  Buddy’s neighbor has one with quads at their place in POC. Such a sick boat. 

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m with you, but the ability to get out there and back with speed is important to some. And they do that well.  Buddy’s neighbor has one with quads at their place in POC. Such a sick boat. 

Oh no doubt. But I’m old -49 - and I’d rather run out at 30 knots and then spend a night or two or four out there comfortably. If I was 35, fuck yeah I’m all in on a Freeman. Give me a beanbag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brew said:

Who needs a bed when you can throw a bean bag on the deck? I’m with you though. The stability of them in rougher seas is a huge plus, but I’m probably not going out those days. I have been intrigued by the Calcutta 263 lately though.

A/C inside where we keep it around 71 but yes. For daytrips, you want a cat as opposed to any deep v center console.

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Oh no doubt. But I’m old -49 - and I’d rather run out at 30 knots and then spend a night or two or four out there comfortably. If I was 35, fuck yeah I’m all in on a Freeman. Give me a beanbag.

Shit I’m mid 30’s and I prefer a sf too. Just things I’ve read when discussed. Comes up on THT somewhat often. But I’ve read that some of the folks with that type of $$$ just don’t have the time.  So 50knt cruise out and back is big timesaver. Pullouts, OB vs IB. List goes on and on.  

The one jimmy buffet built with a pilot house would be ideal ($$$$$).  Can’t remember who built the pilot house but it was a Spencer or Jarrett Bay type.    But in general I’m a couch > beanbag guy.   Or an AC > mister at 1300 after a big tuna fight guy.  Especially if I’m spending someone else’s $$$. 

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Shit I’m mid 30’s and I prefer a sf too. Just things I’ve read when discussed. Comes up on THT somewhat often. But I’ve read that some of the folks with that type of $$$ just don’t have the time.  So 50knt cruise out and back is big timesaver. Pullouts, OB vs IB. List goes on and on.  

The one jimmy buffet built with a pilot house would be ideal ($$$$$).  Can’t remember who built the pilot house but it was a Spencer or Jarrett Bay type.    But in general I’m a couch > beanbag guy.   Or an AC > mister at 1300 after a big tuna fight guy.  Especially if I’m spending someone else’s $$$. 

Merritt Boatworks did the pilot house setup on it. Best of both worlds although I think that cabin setup was pretty minimal if I remember the design. They could have easily enclosed a much larger interior section though if he would have wanted it that way. There is no telling what he has invested in that boat starting with an empty Freeman hull and going up from there.

20 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

If anyone reading this has a boat that they're lukewarm about; now is THE time to unload.  

That seems so counterintuitive.  Softening economy typically means discretionary items like boats would be the first things to go, or not buy.  I would think it’s a terrible time to sell.  

That seems so counterintuitive.  Softening economy typically means discretionary items like boats would be the first things to go, or not buy.  I would think it’s a terrible time to sell.  
For the next 30-60 days it seems the market is still strong. By fall i think things will look differently.
  • Like 1

I think boats, or any other recreational vehicle, is the exception this time around. There is not shit else to do really. I have pondered selling mine now and upgrade once things settle down, but not sure I want to be without right now.

The lake has been insanely crowded. Weekdays are weekend crowded and weekends are like holiday crowded.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have read your boating posts and I will say that I come from a different list of life experiences.  I am from the Florida, fishing-based, outboard, center console, mainly trailer boat school of boating.  I keep up with used boat prices that are relative to my situation and, in my garden, maybe not yours, those prices are SKY HIGH right now.  So from my perspective it's a good time to unload IF YOU ARE LUKEWARM ABOUT YOUR SLED. 

I was in my current boat owners environment back in 2008 when we had the Florida real estate meltdown and you could NOT unload a boat essentially even for the hit that the owner would take on it in a bankruptcy.  So I have that traumatic (not to me) time period mixed into my lived experience of boat ownership.  I am now a 2-boat owner.  I have sold one boat and bought two in the past five years FWIW.  It is completely okay if you disagree with my selling advice posted above.  I am just typing this to let you know where I am coming from. 

As a personal philosophy; I try to run the other way on everything.  Stocks are way high?  Sell or hold and amass cash.  Gun prices crazy low?  Buy guns and collect what you want.  Market looking unjustifiably enthusiastic?  Unload what you've got and sit on cash or put together purchase equity for something you (now) want more. 

If you love what you have now (and I think that SB: you do) I have no problem with you keeping it.  I was just suggesting that if you were lukewarm on keeping or selling it'd be a good time to unload.         

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

I have read your boating posts and I will say that I come from a different list of life experiences.  I am from the Florida, fishing-based, outboard, center console, mainly trailer boat school of boating.  I keep up with used boat prices that are relative to my situation and, in my garden, maybe not yours, those prices are SKY HIGH right now.  So from my perspective it's a good time to unload IF YOU ARE LUKEWARM ABOUT YOUR SLED. 

I was in my current boat owners environment back in 2008 when we had the Florida real estate meltdown and you could NOT unload a boat essentially even for the hit that the owner would take on it in a bankruptcy.  So I have that traumatic (not to me) time period mixed into my lived experience of boat ownership.  I am now a 2-boat owner.  I have sold one boat and bought two in the past five years FWIW.  It is completely okay if you disagree with my selling advice posted above.  I am just typing this to let you know where I am coming from. 

As a personal philosophy; I try to run the other way on everything.  Stocks are way high?  Sell or hold and amass cash.  Gun prices crazy low?  Buy guns and collect what you want.  Market looking unjustifiably enthusiastic?  Unload what you've got and sit on cash or put together purchase equity for something you (now) want more. 

If you love what you have now (and I think that SB: you do) I have no problem with you keeping it.  I was just suggesting that if you were lukewarm on keeping or selling it'd be a good time to unload.         

In the wakeboard boats, there are a lot of $80k-$100k+ boats sitting not moving right now from what I’ve seen. The levels below that are stupid and boats are gone in a day or two and selling for significantly more than several years ago. I’m pricing Nautiques that are selling for more than I sold my exact same model for 6-7 years ago. Barring something changing or coming across a deal, I’m out for this summer. I can’t justify $50k+ for a 10 year old wake boat that didn’t sell for much more than that new. Plus the color patterns out there are ludicrous. I looked at a lime green interior X-Star today. Just shook my head.

I think in the salt water boats the cutoff is higher, but there is a still a distinct difference in trying to move a higher price boat. The market is just dead in those upper levels from what I’ve seen.

It seems like a lot of people deciding to take up boating because their other hobbies are on hold. We’ve just been renting at the beach the last few weeks and every place we normally go out to has been stupid busy. I’ll wait for the inevitable crash when people start unloading them I guess and try then. 

Not a boat, but a jet ski issue. Anyone have a SeaDoo with an IBR that failed? I’m replacing the battery and fuses. If that doesn’t work, I’ve been quoted $1500 to fix the system, if it’s the actuator failing. Anyone deal with this?

On 6/6/2020 at 1:02 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Saw the SS Aggy yesterday and Tillman’s boat as well (no pic)

“General Rudder” lol

49975242842_8e6b3fafd3_b.jpg

Every time I venture into the Galveston ship channel, I wish I had an Exocet mounted on my boat.

• Like 1

Met a guy a few months ago who was waxing and detailing a nice motor yacht down the way from me.  Asked him for a bid to wax the hull, polish all of the metal (which I had let slip pretty bad), and clean and oil all of the exterior teak.  $1,500.  Pretty good deal for the scope.  Told him let’s do it right before summer so it looks good for prime time.   He came last week and called and asked how I felt about varnish?  My exterior wood used to be varnished when I bought it, but the previous owner didn’t keep it up and I needed to strip it all.   I chose to go with oiled teak instead just for ease of maintenance and I always liked that look anyway.  But I asked him how much more for varnish?  He said another $300 and that was for 7 coats.  I thought he was going to say at least $1,000.  I said go for it, and just drove down to meet him and pay him.  Soooo stoked I went for it.  Looks beautiful.  

B52FB588-56DC-4AC2-B0CA-BAEFF2A8B795.jpeg

F1F72C67-D871-41AB-B620-CD4EC20A8015.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Viking said:

That looks nice. How often do you polish the stainless?

I think we do it about twice a year and pretty quick at that.. there's just so fucking much of it.

Exactly.  I do it about once per year.  But fuck it’s a beating on a sailboat.  It’s everywhere.  That’s why I paid someone to do it. And will from now on.  Until I retire at least.

• Like 1

Had console seats reupholstered. Came out nice, it thought. Lady had them out in a week, and was about 1/2 the price of others around Houston. My driving seats will make it this season but likely drop them off in January to get similar treatment.

68075f17f2d967c1230369f420b17d81.jpg

6945a295c840bca0f13c3232a9f74bab.jpg

Tried several times to give Simmons the work on whole kit (front seats, new drivers seats/base with his upholstery, and rear bench), about 5k in work on his specs, and couldn’t get a return call or email for a month. Basically reaffirmed my feelings on them, needed a reminder anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Anyone spent much time on lake Austin during the pandemic? More or less crowded than usual for this time of year?

Drove by the bridge last weekend and there were trailers all the way back up to 620.  I've been going out on Lake Travis weekday afternoons and traffic is light.  Have heard weekends are a shit show though. 

So I’m meeting a buddy who I’ve known since 1st grade tomorrow to look at a boat.  He’s been up with me numerous times and has the bug.  But doesn’t want to a) get anything too big and b) spend too much.  He’s pretty green but he’ll figure it out. We’re going to look at this tomorrow.  He wants to lean on me to ask the right questions and look for the right things.  Engine looks a little rough but that doesn’t mean it is.  People spray out snotty engines that look great, and others that look like this are solid.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1982-catalina-30-7249357/

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So I’m meeting a buddy who I’ve known since 1st grade tomorrow to look at a boat.  He’s been up with me numerous times and has the bug.  But doesn’t want to a) get anything too big and b) spend too much.  He’s pretty green but he’ll figure it out. We’re going to look at this tomorrow.  He wants to lean on me to ask the right questions and look for the right things.  Engine looks a little rough but that doesn’t mean it is.  People spray out snotty engines that look great, and others that look like this are solid.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1982-catalina-30-7249357/

Damn. Seems like a lot of boat for 19k.  *note - I do not know a single thing about sail boats. But I do know you aren’t even getting a beat up pos cc bay rig for 19k these days. 

Drove by the bridge last weekend and there were trailers all the way back up to 620.  I've been going out on Lake Travis weekday afternoons and traffic is light.  Have heard weekends are a shit show though. 

We saw the same thing on 360 a couple of weeks ago. And weekends on LT ARE a shitshow. Weekdays are still fine especially late evenings as the sun goes down.

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn. Seems like a lot of boat for 19k.  *note - I do not know a single thing about sail boats. But I do know you aren’t even getting a beat up pos cc bay rig for 19k these days. 

The purchase price is just the starting point in sailboat ownership.  It will suck money out of your wallet day after day from this point forward.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:51 PM, Sbbruin said:

BTW I blew my main along the leech at the first reef point.  I think it can be repaired.  Replaced the Genoa a couple of years ago, and the main is otherwise in decent shape.  But it’s always something on this motherfucker.

Motherfucker.  I just reinstalled the main, which was a hemorrhoid to do solo, tied it down and was proud.  Then realized I didn’t re-run the reefing lines.  Fuck.