The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

15 hours ago, troph said:

Best day of a boat owners life? That day she’s Ms Cranky Britches and then gets out on the water when everyone else is leaving, rides a few waves then rides back after dark, clear skies, dark skies, smooth water, man the water is more my home than any dwelling I’ve ever known. Turns my mood like nothing else I know. The day I sell my last boat is gonna be a shitty day.

No such thing as a last boat, only the next boat in that scenario.

1 hour ago, troph said:

ha - my ashes are supposed to be scattered on Pfeiffer Beach in Big Sur.  but burned at sea, especially there would be bad ass.

Pfeiffer-Beach-Big-Sur-CA-California-usa-Sunset-time-Large-650x433.jpg

My wife already knows to just take me offshore, tied a big anchor around me, and toss me overboard.  I'd rather go in whole than as ashes, so I can be chewed up and distributed around the sea/food chain.  Of course I told her to please make sure I'm actually dead first.

My wife already knows to just take me offshore, tied a big anchor around me, and toss me overboard.  I'd rather go in whole than as ashes, so I can be chewed up and distributed around the sea/food chain.  Of course I told her to please make sure I'm actually dead first.

The ocean already tried to do that to me once, we both decided I belong on top of or near but not in the water. I actually want to be part of the beach. Maybe some naturally growing succulent can feed off my carbon residue mixed in the sand, I’m fine with that. But one moment of death in the water was enough for me.

26 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

"Are we sure he's dead?"

Small splash.

"He is now."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Brew said:

Fuel filter and bad gas/water could also be an issue. Does it do it more at certain fuel levels or is it all over the board? Have you noticed at random RPM levels or does it kick in at higher RPM’s primarily? Is it an outboard where you can easily hook up an auxiliary fuel tank and run it and see if it does it?

I may have missed it, but what kind of boat and motor? Is it carbureted or fuel injected? If it has newer plugs, I would pull one and see if they are clean still. Check all plug wires and connections at the same time.

It's an early 2000s Chaparral 230 SSI with a big as 7.4L Volvo Penta engine (so inboard obviously). It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it does it at all RPMs greater than idle. I'll idle/limp back to dock. It'll sit overnight and then will be find the next morning. No f'ing rhyme or reason. Can't replicate it and can't make it happen or not happen. Definitely not gas. If it were the plugs, it would happen all the time. Only happens when it wants to be a bitch. It'll run beautiful until it doesn't and then run beautifully again.

Is the engine turning off, or losing power and slowing down?

I’m guessing efi and not carbed. I would strongly lean toward fuel issue. Clogged filter, blocked line, idle air control valve, intermittent fuel pump.

If it’s turning off. Electrical problem. Ecm, coils, faulty kill switch/wiring.

Gonna have to step up my boat food game to compete with Bruin and landomatic. 
Don't care. Had wake surf.
496441-B1-9-D36-46-EA-A1-D9-0-CE285-B49-B6-F.jpg

Or go the other direction. We are a no food allowed boat. But props for putting it out there, that dog looks terrible. Glad you got out there though, was wondering when you’d represent.

1 minute ago, troph said:

Or go the other direction. We are a no food allowed boat. But props for putting it out there, that dog looks terrible. Glad you got out there though, was wondering when you’d represent.

We usually save our more "elaborate" meals for when we are out on the pontoon. A little more manageable situation, but tough to compete with the guys with a galley. We mailed it in today with some hebrew nationals. Usual fare is more along the lines of grilled venison onions and peppers, and maybe some lettuce wraps.  Today there were some chicarrones out of the shot though. 

We usually save our more "elaborate" meals for when we are out on the pontoon. A little more manageable situation, but tough to compete with the guys with a galley. We mailed it in today with some hebrew nationals. Usual fare is more along the lines of grilled venison onions and peppers, and maybe some lettuce wraps.  Today there were some chicarrones out of the shot though. 

Shit bro you’re down right legit! I make them scarf a pb&j before we go and grab whataburger on the way home.
  • Hook 'Em 2

yall are doing it all wrong. a bucket of popeyes fried chicken is the only meal allowed on the boat. when done, throw bones overboard for the catfish.

If one is eating on a boat without a galley I must agree, fried chicken or GTFO.

Fajitas at rough hollow and pimento burger at 512 are our favs. Recall the Gar with peel and eat shrimp? Def a worthwhile experience.

The Gar has the best locations / views,but we’ve decided the worst food of the options on the lake.
  • Hook 'Em 1

No food allowed boat? What’s the reasoning for this nonsense?

Kids and I’m the one left cleaning it all up. Anything crunchy turns to a mush mess plus we don’t go out all day we are usually on the water from 6pm until sunset in the summer.

• Like 1

We are a dried deer sausage/cheese cube/cracker/peanut butter pretzel type rig.   But mines self bailing and a bit easier to clean up the messes than yalls. 

I’ll bring some banana bread!

Have at least 2 stained fishing shirts from your partner. Not from fish guts, blood, or matagorda mud, but coffee.

05:30: “Hey T, let me know when your going to hit it so I can chug this coffee and ditch the cup.”

aa1d3bd0a005775985735af784b87198.gif

1 minute ago, Llano Estacado said:

I’ll bring some banana bread!

Have at least 2 stained fishing shirts from your partner. Not from fish guts, blood, or matagorda mud, but coffee.

05:30: “Hey T, let me know when your going to hit it so I can chug this coffee and ditch the cup.”

aa1d3bd0a005775985735af784b87198.gif

Lol. Yeah he’s still got some time to put in if he ever wants to get that 6-pack.  Or we can just say he does it on purpose...

That no food rule is pretty tough. Probably the main reason I didn’t get the snap in carpet option on my boat. Just hit anything down with the wash down hose and out the scuppers it goes.

When hitting the lake we usually do sandwiches ahead of time and throw them in a food/drink cooler along with a lot of fruit, summer sausage and cheeses. Another bag with chips, crackers/pretzels, cookies etc along paper towels and hand sanitizer.

Going out offshore, I’ve got one buddy that’s pretty much the fried chicken guy. Huge bag of cold spicy from Popeyes goes hard.

2 hours ago, troph said:

When you can walk to your boat and go out often for 4 hours or less - as many days of the week as you want - a no food policy isn’t that hard. Eat before, eat after, boat stays clean. Sorry those are momma’s rules.

I’m with you, no food on the boat. With carpet and and a lot of vinyl, it’s a no go for me. If we’re going to be out a while or we’re going out on a different lake, they can pack sandwiches and I’ll pull in somewhere. Usually they just eat on the way up and the way back home. Sometimes they only want to go to the lake just so they can stop at DQ on the way home I think.

None if that applies if we’re only using the pontoon that day. I don’t care what they do on that floating dock.

Edited by Brew

Freeze dried chili mac and a Jetboil is the savior on day 3 offshore. Vacuum bagged breakfast burritos too are insanely good. Toss in the Jetboil for a few then serve.

But day tripping, sandwiches all the way. Fried chicken was the ticket back in the day, but gets so much grease on everything.

But day tripping, sandwiches all the way. Fried chicken was the ticket back in the day, but gets so much grease on everything.

If only there was a way to wash your hands off when you’re in the boat.

And that MH chili mac looks the same coming out as it did going in.

Yeah, my 6 yr old twins wouldn’t go without snack. Troph, didn’t see you go by this evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kids this weekend, lady friend had to go take care of her parents (they’ll probably be in assisted living by year end) so I was alone tonight. Still thought about going out and just anchoring but didn’t. How was it?

On 7/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Texaus said:

Is the engine turning off, or losing power and slowing down?

I’m guessing efi and not carbed. I would strongly lean toward fuel issue. Clogged filter, blocked line, idle air control valve, intermittent fuel pump.

If it’s turning off. Electrical problem. Ecm, coils, faulty kill switch/wiring.

Could be picking up some water in the fuel also.  But definitely a fuel issue of some sort.  Start at the tank and work up to the injection point/carb.

So moved my buddy’s just acquired ‘83 Catalina 30 from Marina del Rey to San Pedro today.  His new slip is just a few hundred yard from mine.  It was awesome to see how excited he was.  He’s very green, but he was a sponge trying to ask questions and taking lots of notes.  Stoked for him.  And looking forward to buddy boating to Catalina.  Boat needs some work though.  But it’s a good vessel.

045F7565-825C-4436-A32B-E0C617A76433.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2