The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

It is impossible to do now but I wish we could nuke the lake for a winter and let it start again. We have so many dumbasses coming and going it is a waste of time anyways. Common theme it seems. Fuck these assholes.b948578f1a4c90e46cab88ff95ad1043.jpg

Damn. Haven’t been out there in a while and had no idea it was that bad.

Every small rock you see is completely covered and the boulders are 50% covered or more. It is depressing but the new norm. The only hope with all the sickness going around is that the 'rona will somehow kill them.

Edited by HOOKEM4

Yeah we were out tonight and with the typical late summer water use and evaporation the rocks are exposing a foot or two more per week and the zebra mussels are everywhere and they stink as they die. The damage to the ecosystem is what pains me the most. That and my kids can’t just go bare foot as easily anymore. Living life barefoot in the summer is a thing all kids should be able to do. Now you have to be careful or you’ll slice your foot on a decomposing zebra mussel. It’s infuriating.

This kid has gone from huh? To carving waves epic style. One proud queer momma here.

a5d6db369b4e7f3748c0f5cc6c3496e4.jpg

This was after his absolute last run. He was up, over and in the waves with rope dropped every time, at least 10 solid runs with some epic carves tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This electrical project has taken on a life of its own, and will result in essentially and entirely retired boat stem to stern, with new charger, inverter, monitor, regulator, battery switch, and the entire new electrical panel.  It is going to end up being god awfully expensive.  The result will be awesome, but the band aid rip will be painful.  BUT fortunately when he was installing the new regulator in the engine compartment, he notice the alternator tensioning arm had completely snapped.  I guarantee I would have noticed this when I went to check the oil and coolant levels, and could have ended in utter disaster (overheating leading to blown head= fried engine= $10-11k).  Removed it and tried to get a replacement, but on a Saturday I was SOL.  Found a muffler shop to weld it back together, so I should be good to launch to Catalina tomorrow. Always fucking something, but a million times better to have it happen at the dock than on the water.  

6AD8D609-B18A-4F3D-9C46-34482EF170CC.thumb.jpeg.c29d9d2ef0f4d77facd71ae8a6ac723b.jpeg

c87d8cc7e64dc65a46d3d6c777165324.jpg

So had to jump in the dinghy to call the fam since I have no signal on my mooring. Electrical panel work is done (to the tune of a shitload of money). And then had my fastest run to Catalina ever. Wind was piping and averaged probably 7+ knots (yes@g650 I know that's slow, but not by my standards). Super chill at Hen Rock Cove, Catalina Island. And wife and kids don't come until Wednesday (I have a shot load of vacation I haven't been using). I'm in a good place.
1cece702a3c319c4380fcd9550fd0321.jpg
6d7a188f4a35c11a988bcece75938285.jpg
96a3c4f1a66eae96e578a6660d86ba1a.jpg
30f76143f5c658984bafa201c848eca5.jpg
62647109e7bc80c509771428ba67462f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

Looks like a bomb.

man I hate seeing wiring like that. Good on you for getting it corrected.

Yeah, but now I’m sitting here with a depleted house bank that can’t seem to charge with either the engine or the generator.  I may be fucked and have to head home.

Well fortunately I was able to determine that there was a flaw in the monitor wiring. It's not seeing the charge input and only seeing the discharge so it assumes the batteries are depleted. But volts are good. FaceTimed with the electrician and he walked through the whole thing.

So now it's chill time at White's Landing
939eedb29d64f663b7da548cf1755d6f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I should buy a McGregor 1d5f1db750be4a4593e0b009c1d366ca.jpg

Those things are a joke. They recommend a 50hp engine for a 26 foot boat. Buy a powerboat if that's your objective. Hell, I may move over to the dark side when I age out of sailing, which hopefully isn't for a couple of decades.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Those things are a joke. They recommend a 50hp engine for a 26 foot boat. Buy a powerboat if that's your objective. Hell, I may move over to the dark side when I age out of sailing, which hopefully isn't for a couple of decades.

I am pretty sure that dude doesn't know how to sail. Always rolling around at top speed. There used to be a McGregor 65 that just looked absurd on our small lake. It seems people that own those are all a few crayons short of a full box.

Edited by HOOKEM4

I am pretty sure that dude doesn't know how to sail. Always rolling around at top speed. There used to be a McGregor 65 that just looked absurd on our small lake. It seems people that own those are all a few crayons short of a full box.

I get a nice large cabin cruiser or a sizable sailboat. Travis is a rough lake a lot of the times and those can really make it nice. But the yachts? I don’t get it. I mean go for it but if I could afford one it’s in FL, Southern California, maybe Texas coast but unlikely, México even, just anywhere but lake Travis.

not a lesbian, wish she was. she's my girlfriend's type though (duh) so I certainly could convince her to extend an invite to join us for sure.  no doubt she likes handsome boys though so no one here is getting any action with that Brie, not even our Catalina Bruin.

Edited by troph

Wear your mask properly man. So I’m done with the boatyard again and in addition to fixing those issues I think I’ve got more coats of wax on the boat than I’ve ever seen. The guys are bored. And I still can’t go fish. Or go to the country at all. They are trying to get something together that would allow boat owners into the country, but I doubt that gets anywhere. The marinas there are nationally owned and they want to prevent an exodus. I already know a couple of boats that have left for Mexico.

D9487CDE-8B46-4706-9967-C529614A1B94.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

Also in addition to the bearings in rudders and shafts we replaced all the batteries. Bottom paint was last year so we just got a Tico bottom job while we were hauled out. Everything else is in very good shape except now one a/c  unit is on life support. It needs to be replaced. The other 2 are good. In the meantime paying a Tico to recharge it once a month. The math is heavily in my favor.

Next will be new screens for the radar/gps/sounder but can work with what we have for now. This could be done really cheaply, but we are still running on tech so old you can’t even find them anymore. Three screens @ 300ish  each if you find them on EBay but they just aren’t there anymore. Our radar unit is commercial grade (we can see birds from a few miles away) so it is still good but probably need to throw a new transducer in when the screens get replaced. On the bright side all of my fishing tackle is still good to go.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/19/2020 at 9:24 PM, Brew said:

The Nautique G25 and it’s starting price of $310k or so would like a word with you.

Actually that's the Paragon, regular G25 starts around 200K.  M & the Paragon are top of the line.  Sail & Ski has sold a crap load of the Paragon's, they are all over Lake Travis

6 hours ago, Brew said:

Is that a 226? It’s one of the few Nautique models I haven’t ridden, but it looks like the interior layout. I looked at one when I bought my 220, but you don’t see them very often around my area.

Good eye!  Yes, it's an '05 Air Nautique 226.  Here's a better view...

17861780_10155089100212348_5481887402346475816_n.jpg

18341708_10155163622782348_1346830997490148104_n.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2