The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Just now, Bob Lives! said:

You want to watch a massive shit show, go check out the 360 ramp on a Saturday night at 8pm. Drunk idiots who can barely do that shit sober. Add in fuckheads on the water who think they need to idle right in front of the ramps for some reason, and pontoon rental drivers in a huge hurry to get their asses home for the night. It isn’t pleasant. I definitely don’t want my wife and kids caught up in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir, I fish POC.  The "best kept secret on the Coast". 

Seriously though, I would spend 10x amount of time on the water with the family if my wife could learn to back up a fucking trailer.  I can't do it all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, that wouldn't bother me at all.  I prefer keeping my boat off the water, though we are talking apples/oranges (saltwater).  Public ramps tho...can't believe they don't make you pass a class or something first.  

The private ramp makes it reasonable. I’m 50 minutes from the lake house though not counting time to run out and get the boat from my shop and take it back and put it up. If it was on the water I might be more inclined to run up late afternoon for an hour that I am now. However, with a 15 and 12 year old, those days are about gone anyways. They have something school related most days.

At the beach I would rather have something in the water or at a dry stack I think. I’m debating that now though and may end up going Freedom Boat Club or renting over owning. 

However, with a 15 and 12 year old, those days are about gone anyways. They have something school related most days. 

Mine are 5 and 7 and your post is a reminder of just how urgent the wake boat purchase really is. I can make more money. I can’t make more time.

3 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

My wife also can’t back up a trailer. That’s my job. She drives the boat up on there, which barring a fleet of drunken idiots blocking the ramp while they wait their turn, is really fairly easy to do.

My boat is difficult to load/unload.  I can back down, apply emergency brake, get in boats, and have it off the trailer and idling around in less than 90 seconds. She can't manage any of that.  But it's OK, we've decided that weekday trips are more our style when the family is with us.  No rush at the ramp on weekdays.  And we'll stay on the water so we can stay docked for as long as possible and only load/unload once.  

4 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Mine are 5 and 7 and your post is a reminder of just how urgent the wake boat purchase really is. I can make more money. I can’t make more time.

Also, this.

37 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

No doubt, from probably 1 up through the oldest being 11-12 they were at the lake every weekend even when it was colder than I wanted to get wet. After that school stuff started getting in the way and now friends are just as big an issue. They would rather go with others for the weekend to the lake than with their parents. It’s part of the reason I sold earlier in the year, but I would still rather go out myself or with a couple guys than not have a boat. If I was smart I would just buy a newer pontoon or bay boat, but I’m going to be stupid and buy another wakeboard boat. I can already tell.

My wife can’t back the trailer and I’m not letting her near the boat with a trailer nearby, so she or the kids get to hold it at the dock.

52 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

For something like that, do you have to have the rope up high?  Asking for someone who has to use the stern rings to tow anything with several kids in that age group.

No, we grew up stern towing everything. The height comes in handy on wakeboards when you need the upwards pull rather than straight ahead and when jumping for leverage. However, we’ve pulled wakeboards behind a jetski with the rope at water level, so anything can be ridden from any position.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

No, we grew up stern towing everything. The height comes in handy on wakeboards when you need the upwards pull rather than straight ahead and when jumping for leverage. However, we’ve pulled wakeboards behind a jetski with the rope at water level, so anything can be ridden from any position.

Awesome.  I think next year we are going to get into the tubes, and maybe something like @686 has up there for my oldest.  Right now, my youngest is just a bit too young for the tube.  Next year  2 of the 3 will definitely be ready.  My oldest right now would love that Zup, but she's a lot more athletically gifted than the middle one.  I've never done anything more than a tube, and even then that was only a few times.  We didn't have many lakes where I grew.

For something like that, do you have to have the rope up high?  Asking for someone who has to use the stern rings to tow anything with several kids in that age group.

No, you don’t have to have the rope up high, I just run it off the tower for convenience.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Awesome.  I think next year we are going to get into the tubes, and maybe something like [mention=2146]686[/mention] has up there for my oldest.  Right now, my youngest is just a bit too young for the tube.  Next year  2 of the 3 will definitely be ready.  My oldest right now would love that Zup, but she's a lot more athletically gifted than the middle one.  I've never done anything more than a tube, and even then that was only a few times.  We didn't have many lakes where I grew.

The nice thing about the Zup is, a grownup or other kid under about 250lbs can ride on it with them to get them more comfortable with it. You only need to run about 10-12mph with kids on, so it doesn’t hurt if they fall, and I take about 15’ out of the tow rope so they’re closer to the boat.

ccb7d88423d9e788a55e09dfa3407740.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Sir, I fish POC.  The "best kept secret on the Coast". 

Seriously though, I would spend 10x amount of time on the water with the family if my wife could learn to back up a fucking trailer.  I can't do it all.

I have a buddy with a place on Conejo, across the street from the car wash. Entertainment is a yeti full of beer and a short golf cart ride to Froggies. I once watched two older women (both easily in their 60s) both try to back down F250s with big trailers, and hit the trailers not once, but 3 times before they both got out and started screaming F bombs at each other across the parking lot. Their husbands were both out in the ICW on their big cat boats screaming at each other, and the peanut gallery at Froggies was egging them on. I fucking hate all the POC ramps. Only way I would have a place there is a private ramp like the Sanctuary, or a way to keep my boat in a lift, which isn't ideal for all the reasons you already know. 

16 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I have a buddy with a place on Conejo, across the street from the car wash. Entertainment is a yeti full of beer and a short golf cart ride to Froggies. I once watched two older women (both easily in their 60s) both try to back down F250s with big trailers, and hit the trailers not once, but 3 times before they both got out and started screaming F bombs at each other across the parking lot. Their husbands were both out in the ICW on their big cat boats screaming at each other, and the peanut gallery at Froggies was egging them on. I fucking hate all the POC ramps. Only way I would have a place there is a private ramp like the Sanctuary, or a way to keep my boat in a lift, which isn't ideal for all the reasons you already know. 

A close friend of mine's (family) owns the fishing center.  Many a day has ended on that bench, watching people come back in Saturday evening.  Best part is when the locals start chanting, HOUSTON.  HOUSTON.  HOUSTON. whenever someone fucks up, or has to reload, or whatever other 1000000 of the possible things go wrong at the ramp.  I believe in Karma so I'm wasn't one to join, but damn. That said, half those people are half cocked coming back from fishing, so that's probably half of it. 

Edited by fattyflattie

Watching the ramp is a favorite pastime of mine.

This one was a couple years ago, may have already posted it. Shitty quality because zoomed in to the max. Dude was extremely lucky boat remained on trailer. I’m sure all kinds of shit was fucked up on it though.
0efdb2c6699b51c7b731382a4879f45c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 686 said:

The nice thing about the Zup is, a grownup or other kid under about 250lbs can ride on it with them to get them more comfortable with it. You only need to run about 10-12mph with kids on, so it doesn’t hurt if they fall, and I take about 15’ out of the tow rope so they’re closer to the boat.

ccb7d88423d9e788a55e09dfa3407740.jpg

I was in that same spot on Saturday around 3pm.  It was a bit rougher.

How early were y'all out?

I watched the whole thing go down, captain and his buddy were most likely intoxicated. Buddy gets dropped off to back down trailer, does not do well and trailer is not only way too deep, but off the ramp(check photo and tou can kind of see water drops showing line trailer came out of water on. Captain wasn’t paying attention to buddy’s poor back down and didn’t realize trailer was off ramp, pulls boat straight on behind tow vehicle and leans over bow and straps boat on. I knew at this point he was def not on trailer and I was about to see some action! I was actually in the water with a noodle floaty and beer and yell to wife to get the phone out. Sure enough he signals to pull the boat out and it start to tip off trailer toward port, captain realizes his predicament and dives to starboard side and saves boat from tipping off. He stays in this position while tow vehicle driver is completely unawares anything is wrong. A few good samaritans on ramp start pointing and gesticulating for driver to back it down and get the boat floating again. They finally did get it on correctly with help.

I was in that same spot on Saturday around 3pm.  It was a bit rougher.

How early were y'all out?

We were out from 10:30-2:30 or so. Water was nice/ok until about 1, by 2 it was rough.

Are you in a marina or what ramp do you use? I like to use the Cranes Mill park Corp ramp, but they shut it down so much I usually end up at ramp 6.

I've been using Turkey Cove (Ramp 3, I think), but now that I have storage right in between 6 and 7 I'll most likely be using one of those.  I think I'm 7/10th of a mile from ramp 7.  I'll be out there Monday VERY early before the crowd.  Like 7am early.

I like running alone before my guests arrive for the day.  Good time to anchor, put on some Floyd, go for a swim, inflate whatever needs to be inflated, etc.  Also a good time to sort, store, and wipe down the interior.

And usually no goat rodeo at the ramps.

Usually.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

A close friend of mine's (family) owns the fishing center.  Many a day has ended on that bench, watching people come back in Saturday evening.  Best part is when the locals start chanting, HOUSTON.  HOUSTON.  HOUSTON. whenever someone fucks up, or has to reload, or whatever other 1000000 of the possible things go wrong at the ramp.  I believe in Karma so I'm wasn't one to join, but damn. That said, half those people are half cocked coming back from fishing, so that's probably half of it. 

I hate all those ramps that launch you straight into the ICW. Wind/Tide/barge traffic/boat wakes can play havoc on you loading, and as you've noted...the peanut gallery gives no quarter if you fuck it up. I will say, I was down there at my buddy's place on Canejo for a father/daughter weekend once. All the girls wanted to go to Sunday Beach one evening, so we all headed over to launch the boats. I pulled up to Froggies and jumped out to start the process of launching the boat and was dreading every minute of it because the idiots were out in force. Boats zipping all over, boat wakes running up the ramp, the whole deal. As soon as the welcoming committee saw it was just me and my 10 year old daughter, they all jumped off their lawn chairs and came over and offered to help. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I've been using Turkey Cove (Ramp 3, I think), but now that I have storage right in between 6 and 7 I'll most likely be using one of those.  I think I'm 7/10th of a mile from ramp 7.  I'll be out there Monday VERY early before the crowd.  Like 7am early.
I like running alone before my guests arrive for the day.  Good time to anchor, put on some Floyd, go for a swim, inflate whatever needs to be inflated, etc.  Also a good time to sort, store, and wipe down the interior.
And usually no goat rodeo at the ramps.
Usually.

How do you launch solo at 6/7 with no courtesy dock? Launch the boat, anchor a little ways off and swim back and forth from the ramp? I’m new this year to Canyon Lake, the lack of courtesy docks at most of the ramps adds a layer of difficulty. I’m paranoid about scratching my fiberglass on the rocks around the ramps

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Awesome.  I think next year we are going to get into the tubes, and maybe something like @686 has up there for my oldest.  Right now, my youngest is just a bit too young for the tube.  Next year  2 of the 3 will definitely be ready.  My oldest right now would love that Zup, but she's a lot more athletically gifted than the middle one.  I've never done anything more than a tube, and even then that was only a few times.  We didn't have many lakes where I grew.

Just get a harness that hooks to both rear tow eyes. Sometimes they will have a float at the Y that keeps them from being able to drop down into the prop if you’re not paying attention. Tubes are an easy way to get kids used to being on the water. The Zup is easy to get them used to being pulled independently and standing. There are a ton of different things after that kneeboards, wakeboards, skates, etc. Mine still prefer the tubes after all these years over everything else. They like to beat the crap out of each other on individual ones 3-4 tubes/riders at a time.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Just get a harness that hooks to both rear tow eyes. Sometimes they will have a float at the Y that keeps them from being able to drop down into the prop if you’re not paying attention. Tubes are an easy way to get kids used to being on the water. The Zup is easy to get them used to being pulled independently and standing. There are a ton of different things after that kneeboards, wakeboards, skates, etc. Mine still prefer the tubes after all these years over everything else. They like to beat the crap out of each other on individual ones 3-4 tubes/riders at a time.

That's the plan.  My biggest deal is trying to turn smooth enough to keep the stern rope (Y) from getting into the outboard leg.   But definitely a float for the prop.

I'm thinking about getting something like this.  That way the wife can calm the younger ones into it, getting them introduced.  The oldest is good to go. 

https://zup.com/products/zoom-three-tube?variant=31579258290238

39 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

What do you do if you are picking up a group? That's odd, no dock at all. 

I jump out and hold the boat in a foot and a half water.  They get their shins wet, but with the swim deck at water level on the stern it's easy to get in.

Either that or I send them to Turkey Cove, Ramp 1, or the Marina where there are docks.

IMG_1475.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
The pic is looking back at my truck and trailer from the boat to the ramp at Turkey Cove. If you look at the right edge of the pic you can see the ramp heading down to the dock. There's also a sandy bottom where that boat to the left is beached.

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

I jump out and hold the boat in a foot and a half water.  They get their shins wet, but with the swim deck at water level on the stern it's easy to get in.

Either that or I send them to Turkey Cove, Ramp 1, or the Marina where there are docks.

Yeah I assumed you had it figured out.  Was just kind of thinking out loud; I'm not familiar with the lake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What do you do if you are picking up a group? That's odd, no dock at all. 

From what I’ve seen, people walk down the ramp , the boat picking them up noses up to the ramp and people start climbing on, without slipping on the wet ramp. While trucks/trailers are trying to load/unload, etc. The anticipation of fiberglass contacting scored concrete like fingernails on a chalkboard gives me anxiety. It’s a mess.

Yeah, I don't do that.  Too much fuckery going on.  Better to put it in idle, jump off the back into waist deep water and walk it up where nothing touches the bottom.

Added bonus:  If they're not lake types it gives you that Crocodile Dundee aura.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

Once or twice a summer, I take the family to Lake Houston to swim and sandbar, just generally having a good time type deal.  Something wrecked all the docks since last year at Duessen, and they are all roped off.  I chunked the kids in the boat, backed the truck down to where it needed to be, and switch with the wife.  I bump it off and idle out, while she parks (and likely curbs my shit).  Now the tricky part.  Come on honey, jump on while I almost just barely almost kiss this bulkhead...you made it!!!  Let's go party!  We don't have rocks here, and I'll put my bow up on whatever.  Same for Sunday Beach, I'll lightly put the bow down and that's all she wrote. 

Yeah, I don't do that.  Too much fuckery going on.  Better to put it in idle, jump off the back into waist deep water and walk it up where nothing touches the bottom.
Added bonus:  If they're not lake types it gives you that Crocodile Dundee aura.

I’ve been getting my wife to back the boat off and pull out into the channel and then pull back to about 30yds away and to the side of the ramp, and then I swim out after parking the truck. That keeps us clear of ramp traffic, especially if there is a stiff crosswind.

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

That's the plan.  My biggest deal is trying to turn smooth enough to keep the stern rope (Y) from getting into the outboard leg.   But definitely a float for the prop.

I'm thinking about getting something like this.  That way the wife can calm the younger ones into it, getting them introduced.  The oldest is good to go. 

https://zup.com/products/zoom-three-tube?variant=31579258290238

I've got the Academy brand that is very similar to this.  Great for young ones and for parents riding with the very little ones, but it can be a bit boring for the older kids that like to be tossed around.  It's so wide and stable that I have to drive like a maniac to really throw someone off of it.  I got a smaller one that two kids can lay on their belly for the older ones that want to take the gnar level up a bit.

And holy crap at that $2mm boat dock on Lake Austin - I knew it was spendy out there, but that is bonkers.  I live on an east Texas lake and there is an ~18 acre waterfront tract that you could buy twice for less than that.  I keep my boats in slips on the water and can attest to how quickly they get funky from spider poop/pollen/bugs, etc.  The more frequent cleanings are a trade I'm willing to make to avoid the trailer every time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brew said:

We have used one of these ski yokes for years pulling our kids on tubes, ski's, hydroslide and wake board with our Key West.  It does drag the water some time and can get tangled with the outboard during stops but it has provided a means for water sports without the expense of adding a dedicated tow bracket.    Also, for younger kids get one of the tubes that you sit in side.  It takes less effort for them to stay on/in than one of the flat ones you lay down on top of.

51HBBzWHzSL._AC_.jpg

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Also, for younger kids get one of the tubes that you sit in side.  It takes less effort for them to stay on/in than one of the flat ones you lay down on top of.

I was wondering about that. I’m think I’m stuck right in the middle. Older kids would like the flat top, and young one would be better for the sit inside. Was thinking with the flat top I could just send the wife back there with the tepid one(s).  I’ll reevaluate over the winter I guess.  

I was wondering about that. I’m think I’m stuck right in the middle. Older kids would like the flat top, and young one would be better for the sit inside. Was thinking with the flat top I could just send the wife back there with the tepid one(s).  I’ll reevaluate over the winter I guess.  

I have kids as young as 6 laying on top of a two person tube. They are fine, as I don’t sling them around. Just moving them back and forth across the wake is enough.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Goofyboy said:

I have kids as young as 6 laying on top of a two person tube. They are fine, as I don’t sling them around. Just moving them back and forth across the wake is enough.

That's what I figured.  You have to keep in mind, It's super difficult for me to even throw a wake. Maybe with a ton of trim.  I can't add any "ballast" to the stern as I'm "motor heavy" by design.   So low speed pulling, back and forth a bit, etc.     I figure it's not too hard to please 5-8 yo's who didnt grow up on a legit ski/wake boat.

That's what I figured.  You have to keep in mind, It's super difficult for me to even throw a wake. Maybe with a ton of trim.  I can't add any "ballast" to the stern as I'm "motor heavy" by design.   So low speed pulling, back and forth a bit, etc.     I figure it's not too hard to please 5-8 yo's who didnt grow up on a legit ski/wake boat.

I pull behind my SeaDoo WakeSki or my fishing boat.

We have 4 single O’Brien LeTubes, 2 double LeTubes, 1 of the flat doubles, 3 of the flat singles, and 2-3 of the different 3 person varieties. My kids and nephews tube through the middle of the day nonstop while the water is rough typically with 3-4 tubes behind the boat or 2 behind the jet ski. The flats get ridden 90% of the time now. You can pull them straight with a little back and forth and it’s easy on newbies. You can also crank it up and hurt someone with them which is what my kids prefer. The LeTubes get ridden the rest of the time because they are like big bumper boats and can really hurt someone which again they prefer. The 3 person sitting varieties never come out unless the littlest nieces/nephews are out.

You also don’t need a wake. You need to be able to turn tight for the more adventurous kids and they’ll get enough speed to keep them engaged.

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

We have 4 single O’Brien LeTubes, 2 double LeTubes, 1 of the flat doubles, 3 of the flat singles, and 2-3 of the different 3 person varieties. My kids and nephews tube through the middle of the day nonstop while the water is rough typically with 3-4 tubes behind the boat or 2 behind the jet ski. The flats get ridden 90% of the time now. You can pull them straight with a little back and forth and it’s easy on newbies. You can also crank it up and hurt someone with them which is what my kids prefer. The LeTubes get ridden the rest of the time because they are like big bumper boats and can really hurt someone which again they prefer. The 3 person sitting varieties never come out unless the littlest nieces/nephews are out.

You also don’t need a wake. You need to be able to turn tight for the more adventurous kids and they’ll get enough speed to keep them engaged.

TBH,  kids don't care what they are riding as long as they get a turn in the water.    My son first tried  the learner skis that are strapped together at the front when he was  7or 8 and it finally came together on a trip to Arkansas with the boat when he was 9.  

DSC-2604.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

26 minutes ago, davidg said:

TBH,  kids don't care what they are riding as long as they get a turn in the water.    My son first tried  the learner skis that are strapped together at the front when he was  7or 8 and it finally came together on a trip to Arkansas with the boat when he was 9.  

DSC-2604.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

How old are your kids, because that’s definitely not mine? The preteens/teenagers in the group want the tubes that can sling the hardest and go the fastest. They will not get on the 3 person side by sides any more. They will wakeboard nonstop morning/late, but I can’t get them on a surf board regularly. They would rather tube when the surf board comes out mid day. They are always looking for something that ups the ante just like me and my buddies did 20+ years ago. Their options are more limited with no wake boat at the moment, but they have still been able to tube and wakeboard.

If the kids aren’t there, the tubes rarely come out though. Variety is better.

2B7E0972-96D3-4E7D-8992-4DF8805C48FB.png

Edited by Brew