The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1996-MasterCraft-ProStar-205-Excellent-for-sale-Port-Clinton-Ohio-115343.aspx

Still my favorite hull made. I’ve had multiple variations of 205’s with no complaints. Just to show the craziness of this market, this was around a $12k boat 6-7 years ago. I’ve had 3 92-96 models and always bought/sold under $15k.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

BobLives said it pretty well for the family types:  can always make more money, can't make time with the family when the kids are of a certain age.

Youth is wasted on the broke. I could have been thrifty and probably easily retired at 50 to spend my days hanging out with my wife doing who knows what. Probably could have gone out earlier if I would have skipped the wife part. We’ve had a pretty good time instead, kids have seen and done a lot, and I’m still in good shape to do what I want. Hell, I may be dead tomorrow and all that saving and being thrifty would have gotten me nowhere.

• Like 1

That's one big reason I'll spend bank on this shit.  It keeps me moving.  Keeps me young.

Hell, I went out on Canyon the other day and, according to Ye Olde Apple Watch, I burned nearly 1700 "active' calories.  Just driving the boat, swimming a bit, and running back and forth to the truck/trailer a few times.  I have to force myself to eat extra during boat season just to keep from looking like one of Jessie Pinkman's posse.

Vitamin D BABY!!!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Brew said:

Buddy that just picked up a new Mastercraft texted me earlier and wants to go ride Friday morning. Looks like I’m going to break the wakeboard out of mothballs and ride some. I’ve been the driver for so long now, this may end badly.

let us know when you plan to be back so we can be worried if you don't post within a few minutes of your time to be home, I mean back on line.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

My parents' former next-door neighbor, who makes a shit ton as a senior director at Alix Partners, carried lots for builders in the Park Cities and Preston Hollow and took a hefty share of the profit.  Each lot probably requiring 500-700k financing.

When he was my parents' neighbor, their house (first McMansion on the block) was worth $850k, and they didn't make a ton when they sold because it was prior to everything exploding.  He has moved at least twice and now lives in one of the "100 most expensive houses in Dallas" carried on the tax rolls at $12M and probably worth twice that.  In fewer than 20 years.  His wife was an appellate star at Haynes & Boone and flat quit her job.

Good business if you got the balls for it.

ton of stress.  we are starting our third spec-design/build round of projects and I can say many of our doozy fights are directly related to the rollercoaster, risk, exposure of it all.  the cash goes rolling out and comes crashing back in.  the swings are intense.  it is worth it.  I haven't quit my day job though, I like it and have other things I want to do.  I can't imagine the spec builder model as my only source of income, that would be wild.

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

True enough.  In my case, the toys are for me and the wifey in our "golden years."  So I'm watching this thread and the RV threads to kind of see what's what.  The RV notion may fall by the wayside based on what I'm learning and I'm thinking it's probably a pontoon boat and a PWC or two for the go-fast fun with less potential for physical injury.  I spent most of my lake time on Lake Austin in my mid 20s, which seems like yesterday, and I have a hard time acknowledging that I have physical limitations now (good health but 50 year old bod).

Bob Lives said it pretty well for the family types:  can always make more money, can't make time with the family when the kids are of a certain age.

the RV stuff is hard but we like to rough it right now (as much as RV camping can be roughing it) but a lot of that is because we are in the last 10-15 years that we can do it that way.  It's already exhausting.  the push button generators, large motorhomes, RV parks instead of dispersed camping is something you do when you're of an age that you just can't muster the energy to work your ass off to camp. 

and that's kind of the theory I have for anything. 

do what you can do now while you can do it because you'll wish you had later when you have the time or money.  I go play with my kids tired all the time.  It suuuuucks.  but what's my alternative?  I go do their activities with them even when work says get your shit done.  It suuuuucks. but what's my alternative?  much worse.  we have our boat and our rv because I've got 2 years left with one kid and 4/5 years left with the other two.  and God knows I wasted a lot of time when they were young with bullshit.  so for anyone thinking I can't afford to buy that rv or boat?  what's your alternative?  might be a better decision for your life to make the unwise one financially. 

3 minutes ago, troph said:

ton of stress.  we are starting our third spec-design/build round of projects and I can say many of our doozy fights are directly related to the rollercoaster, risk, exposure of it all.  the cash goes rolling out and comes crashing back in.  the swings are intense.  it is worth it.  I haven't quit my day job though, I like it and have other things I want to do.  I can't imagine the spec builder model as my only source of income, that would be wild.

Spec building is great when it’s great, it royally sucks when it goes bad. A large portion of spec home builders (including almost all my clients in the business) went under in 08-09 because they rode the high too far and got hung with too much inventory. It feels like we are in a similar place in a lot of ways, but the inventory is so tight right now that it should limit the risk. I’ve got guys that have been sitting on lots for years that have sold out this summer with new builds starting.

Spec building in the hoods I mentioned isn't all that risky from a "will it sell" standpoint, but it takes a huge capital outlay.  I think he only did 1 or 2 at any given time.

Also, I think these were more "here's a lot, we'll build to suit" spec homes, not pure spec.

I went and looked and the guy pays 200 grand annually in property taxes!!11!!!  

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 minutes ago, Brew said:

Spec building is great when it’s great, it royally sucks when it goes bad. A large portion of spec home builders (including almost all my clients in the business) went under in 08-09 because they rode the high too far and got hung with too much inventory. It feels like we are in a similar place in a lot of ways, but the inventory is so tight right now that it should limit the risk. I’ve got guys that have been sitting on lots for years that have sold out this summer with new builds starting.

there's a reason we bought an axis and not a new centurion, hahaha. we don't go above 3-4 at a time.  right now we have one lot that we are building on and think we will be ok with it timed perfectly for next summer selling.  but right now that's it.  we just sold one this summer that returned a tidy profit for everyone involved but even that profit was cut in half due to Covid related price drops.  June was a bit stressful with a $2m home hanging out there fully built with a seven figure loan, but we had already resolved to march the price lower until it sold.  cash call from the bank was set for October and while we could pay it, we would have been cash broke after it.  I think being disciplined about carrying a small inventory, managing debt with equity/investors and selling into the market forces instead of stubbornly betting against them is critical.  being willing to pause to wait out the lull is important too. we won't ever get to big for our britches and we try to keep a lot of cash on hand to handle the worst.  she and I both lost everything in 08-09 and we aren't up for that again and it just doesn't take a lot of volume to make really good money.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Spec building in the hoods I mentioned isn't all that risky from a "will it sell" standpoint, but it takes a huge capital outlay.  I think he only did 1 or 2 at any given time.

I went and looked and the guy pays 200 grand annually in property taxes!!11!!!  

we've thought about outskirts subdivisions but probably won't.  we like building homes (who am I kidding I'm just the finance part I don't build shit) we wished we could buy and that means bespoke designs in cool, desirable locations. 

Edit - similar neighborhoods in Austin. Risk is lower if you know what you’re doing, but if you don’t provide a quality product you can still get crushed.

/spec building talk not going away.

Edited by troph

Just now, Anastasis said:

I am open to slum lording if it means I can buy a big boat. 

Slum lording sucks. I’m in a small group that had upwards of 200 residential properties at one point covering all areas of town. We have pretty well sold off now because of the colossal pain in the ass it was and moved primarily over to commercial at this point. Much simpler. There was a guy on an old wakeboarding site that built a pretty large portfolio of rentals in Houston one at a time. He was late 40’s, retired with a big boat, and just dealt in property at that point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

But how many boats do you have?

Currently, I’m running low and just have the pontoon and jet skis. That needs to be rectified, but the right opportunity hasn’t presented itself. I need some of these guys that finance boats to get in trouble and need to dump one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Brew said:

but the inventory is so tight right now

Understatement. This is literally as hot a market as I've seen since 2007. I hate to even invoke that ghost, but its the only comparison I have. The difference is we are not in a bubble now, its actually supported by supply and demand. I'm doing a 350 lot subdivision right now where our sales estimates are mid teens!!! per month.

13 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Man, this Ski Nautique is clean af.  Someone has spent a ton of time and effort keeping this thing so spotless.  I had a buddy's family that had one on Lake Travis back in the mid 90's when I was in high school.  Lot's of good times and memories tearing around in that thing.  It lived over the water in a slip and looked much more worn out than this one after a few years.

32 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Man, this Ski Nautique is clean af.  Someone has spent a ton of time and effort keeping this thing so spotless.  I had a buddy's family that had one on Lake Travis back in the mid 90's when I was in high school.  Lot's of good times and memories tearing around in that thing.  It lived over the water in a slip and looked much more worn out than this one after a few years.

That's what I was thinking.  I don't think you could take a funky one and get it back to that condition, for that price tbh.    Not at the way everything boat related is right now.   I've been seeing this old ski/wake boat on the way to the deer lease. Pretty rough shape.  Several times, I've thought about stopping and offering next to nothing for it.  But if 15k can get you something that's been cared for like that, definitely resets the math.  And I'm a fan of the old school rides like that.  Probably a better idea when everything is not at peak prices.  Kids will have to do behind the bay boat for now.

Well what a bummer.  I’m about 8 miles out on my way to Catalina.  A ship is head3d at me, so I throttle up to cross in front of him.  All of the sudden my engine starts to power down.  Not sure why.  But I look and the cabin is full of exhaust and there’s no raw water discharge happening.  Fuck.  Pull all of the engine hatches to make sure I’m not taking on water through the exhaust.  No.  So that’s the good news.  Bad news is I had to call towboat us to tow me back in.  Mechanic said he’d meet me at the dock to try to salvage the trip.  But I’m not optimistic. 

That's what I was thinking.  I don't think you could take a funky one and get it back to that condition, for that price tbh.    Not at the way everything boat related is right now.   I've been seeing this old ski/wake boat on the way to the deer lease. Pretty rough shape.  Several times, I've thought about stopping and offering next to nothing for it.  But if 15k can get you something that's been cared for like that, definitely resets the math.  And I'm a fan of the old school rides like that.  Probably a better idea when everything is not at peak prices.  Kids will have to do behind the bay boat for now.

Where is it? I may go take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

36 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Well what a bummer.  I’m about 8 miles out on my way to Catalina.  A ship is head3d at me, so I throttle up to cross in front of him.  All of the sudden my engine starts to power down.  Not sure why.  But I look and the cabin is full of exhaust and there’s no raw water discharge happening.  Fuck.  Pull all of the engine hatches to make sure I’m not taking on water through the exhaust.  No.  So that’s the good news.  Bad news is I had to call towboat us to tow me back in.  Mechanic said he’d meet me at the dock to try to salvage the trip.  But I’m not optimistic. 

It's a sailboat right?  Why not just use the sails?  

Did Christopher Columbus have diesel engines and tug boats to drag his ass around the New World? 

• Like 1

I’m a sucker for a classic.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1997-Correct-Craft-Ski-Nautique-SALE-PENDING-for-sale-Indianapolis-Indiana-115413.aspx

This would work.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/1999-Supra-Comp-Great-Ski-Boat--for-sale-Austin-Texas-115510.aspx

This would work too.

That’s all I need. And they never break.

That Natique is right up my alley. My small lake can’t handle much more than that. Throw on a Skylon pole and a small fat sack and I’d be set.

51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

NL643Impeller_small.JPG

Hopefully a quick fix.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

It's a sailboat right?  Why not just use the sails?  

Did Christopher Columbus have diesel engines and tug boats to drag his ass around the New World? 

A) wind is really light

B) can’t grab a mooring without an engine

c) I would be an idiot to try.

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Not the raw water pump.  Something with the exhaust system.  Yes, hoping it’s minor.  Rarely is on a boat though.  Mechanic will be here in a few.

Exhaust system indeed.  Exhaust riser snapped in half.  It’s a common recurring problem on this model boat.  I replaced it about 6 years ago, so it should have been fine.  But no.  Custom item so it needs to be fabricated and shipped.  Out of commission at least a couple of weeks.  Can’t see it under the thermal wrap, but that pipe is snapped and exhaust and raw water just fills the boat if the engine is running.  So I have a boat full of food and booze, and it’s supposed to be 105 at home this weekend.  I’ve taken today and tomorrow off.  So I will be vacationing in my slip for a few days.  Fucking boats, man.

1234827E-0B1C-4576-A6AE-FAB0B7CEB497.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

I was thinking the very same.  Put in an email to the guy they listed.  If it checks out and they'll do me solid on my current Nautique, I'll write them a check on the spot and take it straight to the lake before this summer's done.

I had targeted 2015 or later, but that was because I didn't think it would be likely to find an earlier year with under 300 engine hours.

Glad I was wrong.  That said, we'll see.  Many a slip betwixed a cup and a lip.

11 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I have a friend that bought a G25. Few weeks later he entered a raffle and the grand prize was a G25.

He won. So he had 2 in his driveway. Nice.

Sold the new one. So in the end he got a free G25.

There are very few people who I've never met that I hate.

Your friend is the exception.

😉

Been waiting for someone to post on the Trump parade on Lake Travis today - Supposedly 4 boats sunk. I know of 2 . There were craploads of boats out there & the waves were like the ocean. If you had a small boat & didn’t know what you were doing, it can happen real fast, one or 2 big waves over the bow & you are done.

c1e0273d84a12b4a35266b14c6b27aa3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my bet, because I've seen it before on Lake Austin, just not a bunch of boats on the same day - Dudes who don't hit the lake much (or don't hit Lake Travis) when the ramps are Class 7, Free Roaming Goat Rodeos due to a surge of people all trying to get on at the same time.  It's rush rush, and a lot of pressure to get the rig off the trailer and over to the dock "while there still a spot to tie up!!!".  No routine, no checks, none of the normal checklist type stuff, just hurry and get goin'.  

What could have possibly have been forgotten?

Perhaps the plug?

Dipshits whoop and holler whilst engaging in the whathaveyou, boat slowly takes on water and gets a little lower by the minute, frog doesn't notice that the water in the pot is getting hotter, a wave or two breaks over the bow, and voila!  You make the papers.

Edited by Cajun

1 minute ago, bigshark88 said:

Were there weather conditions that caused the waves?

Weather was pretty calm out this way today.  Wasn't on the lake to witness dumbassery, but sat under the dock yesterday morning while the storms passed through.  Felt right, cracked a pop, listened to the rain hit the cover while the kids ran around the dock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That dude deserves to go down for having bumpers out without reason.

All joking aside. Looks like he was at anchor in rough conditions. My guess is rough water over the stern(probably too many on swim platform) flooded overcrowded boat to begin with. I’ve seen two go down because overloaded in bow +ballast+big wave over bow. So many ways to go down though.

No weather, just a bunch of boats all taking off at the same time. I don’t think he was anchored. I think he just took a couple big waves over the bow ( possibly the stern) & that was the end of it. The waves were some of the biggest I’ve seen out there. 4 damn boats sunk, big waves, not knowing how to keep your bow up & not knowing what you are doing, ends bad. Don’t think it was plug left out for all of them.

We had friends who came out of Lakeway, took one wave over the bow & turned back around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk