The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

10 minutes ago, KuЯdt said:

Mastercraft NXT vs Moomba vs Axis?

Our boat club has had all three + Tige.  I've spent more time with the Axis than the others, but I'd rank them Tige > Axis > NXT > Moomba based primarily on the wake that I can set. And I would rate the cobalt bow rider above all the wake boats to be totally honest.

ETA: I haven't been able to set a good wake with the NXT to be honest, but only have a few runs with it. @Cajun if you do the test drive be sure the fill the tanks and get some guidance on settings to set a good wake. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Our boat club has had all three + Tige.  I've spent more time with the Axis than the others, but I'd rank them Tige > Axis > NXT > Moomba based primarily on the wake that I can set. And I would rate the cobalt bow rider above all the wake boats to be totally honest.

ETA: I haven't been able to set a good wake with the NXT to be honest, but only have a few runs with it. @Cajun if you do the test drive be sure the fill the tanks and get some guidance on settings to set a good wake. 

Surf wake or wakeboard wake? I assume surf as I can’t see a Cobalt matching the others on wakeboarding wake. Also was that a 19 or 20 NXT? The 20 NXT moved to the next gen surf system. 

15 minutes ago, Brew said:

Surf wake or wakeboard wake? I assume surf as I can’t see a Cobalt matching the others on wakeboarding wake. Also was that a 19 or 20 NXT? The 20 NXT moved to the next gen surf system. 

22' with the 373hp. Surf wake. And to be clear the cobalt aint matching anything in terms of wake production, just talking a general preference for a bow rider as an all around boat but that wasn't clear in that post. 

Edited by Anastasis

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

22' with the 373hp. Surf wake. And to be clear the cobalt aint matching anything in terms of wake production, just talking a general preference for a bow rider as an all around boat but that wasn't clear in that post. 

That makes sense, I read it differently but see that now. I’ve heard the R5 throws a good surf wake, but I’ve never been behind one. The 2020 NXT moved to the next gen surf system, the 2019 would still have the original. I wasn’t clear on that, left off the apostrophes.

Tige being number one on your list is interesting. They are probably going to be a level or two up (maybe more) from the others on your list in terms of features, but I would have expected the Axis/MC to have been higher still but that could just be getting the wake dialed in.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Our boat club has had all three + Tige.  I've spent more time with the Axis than the others, but I'd rank them Tige > Axis > NXT > Moomba based primarily on the wake that I can set.

You bring up another option that I'd been considering - a boat club.  Are you in Austin by chance and if so, any recs?  I'd considered doing the boat club thing for the next year if for no other reason than to get water time in different brands, plus not having the hassles of boat ownership is appealing.  The last boat I owned was in the early to mid-aughts, and it was 20 years old by then...so wasn't the most reliable vessel. 

Just now, KuЯdt said:

You bring up another option that I'd been considering - a boat club.  Are you in Austin by chance and if so, any recs?  I'd considered doing the boat club thing for the next year if for no other reason than to get water time in different brands, plus not having the hassles of boat ownership is appealing.  The last boat I owned was in the early to mid-aughts, and it was 20 years old by then...so wasn't the most reliable vessel. 

Yep, out of lakeway marina. 

Pros:

Relatively low cost of entry (4k one time membership fee, 6k annual dues (split membership with BIL, so my cost is 3k), older pricing, current may vary). 

The annual rate is basically what you woudl pay for slip fees

No maintenance

No maintenance

No maintenance

Cons:

You have restrictions on availability and timeframes

We have flexibility to do all out our outings during the week and don't have to fight over weekend slots, so it works out really well for us. We can rotate between wake boats, tritoons, a double decker, and bow riders based on what we want to do on the lake that week. It works well for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Dumb question - do all of the towers on these boats collapse down?  It looks like some of them do - I can see what looks like a pivot joint on that Wakesetter above.

They do, the cheaper models are manual, the more expensive models are electric. Even going back into the 2000’s, they would fold down over the windshield typically although it was cumbersome.

I don’t know shit about wake/ski boats, but I know that is a helluva lot sexier than the first one.  

It’s sexy, but I hate the wake. Same with Tige - cool looking boats, but I’ve never liked the wake. Supra and Natique are my favorite wakes to hit, along with EPIC (no longer made).

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t know shit about wake/ski boats, but I know that is a helluva lot sexier than the first one.  

It is, but it's also a helluva a lot more expensive with a helluva a lot more hours on the engine and a helluva a lot older.

Trade-offs.

27 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

It’s sexy, but I hate the wake. Same with Tige - cool looking boats, but I’ve never liked the wake. Supra and Natique are my favorite wakes to hit, along with EPIC (no longer made).

I don’t mind the 23, it’s their big boat I really don’t like. However, the wakes are all too wide for my liking. It is the main reason I prefer the 20-22 foot boats, they typically have a more narrow beam which results in a more narrow wake with a better ramp. The surf wake usually suffers some. It doesn’t much matter to me any more since I haven’t been riding, but my kids and nephews do and I don’t want them going wake to wake on the big boats.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

It is, but it's also a helluva a lot more expensive with a helluva a lot more hours on the engine and a helluva a lot older.

Trade-offs.

Interior and gelcoat are the main things that suffer with age. If you can find one with a decent interior especially I wouldn’t worry as much about an older boat under 400-500 hours. Change the plugs, fluids, and impeller and go. Be ready to change the ballast pumps as well. I don’t know anything about all the dash electronics now, but I would expect that to be an issue at some point. I’ve stayed away from owning one with major dash electrical components.

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Well, did the lake test on the MC and am gonna throw down.  I will not argue against any of the criticisms (except the tacking, which was better than my Nautique), as it's not my favorite looking boat, but everything else, given the price, is right in my sweet spot.  There were a significant number of upgrades that I wasn't aware of including full WetSounds system with dual subwoofers, touch screen Fusion head unit with additional controls at the wheel and on the aft swim deck, Rev 10 Wetsounds Tower speakers, underwater LED array, cabin LED setup, SeaDek throughout, and a few other items.  Power and wake vs. my Nautique wasf far and away superior.  Gen 2 surf system, yada yada yada.  Oh, and 4 more years on the factory warranty doesn't hurt either.

Commitment was made, deal is being done, all that.

Congrats. That’s a good buy in today’s market. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a simplicity guy too.  I love my Nautique, but I'm at 570 hours and I'm tired of replacing things.  That's just part of it.  But an answer to that is to trade those problems away for one with a lot fewer hours/more current year.  This rig won't need all that shit for a good while and Cuz is making sure that everything on it that does need that kind of attention will get it before I pick it up in a week to 10 days.

Bottom line was that the kids (daughters) loved it.

Exhibit A...

IMG_1546.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'm a simplicity guy too.  I love my Nautique, but I'm at 570 hours and I'm tired of replacing things.  That's just part of it.  But an answer to that is to trade those problems away for one with a lot fewer hours/more current year.  This rig won't need all that shit for a good while and Cuz is making sure that everything on it that does need that kind of attention will get it before I pick it up in a week to 10 days.

Bottom line was that the kids (daughters) loved it.

Exhibit A...

IMG_1546.jpeg

I’m with you on the simplicity. It’s one of the reasons I’m looking for that model along with a couple of others. I would rather have newer, low hours, nice interior, over a dash full of electronics and the over the top interiors on the current models. Just can’t find a color/price combination I like yet. May end up just going back with a 10-15 year old boat again, I’m just not going to pay newer boat prices for it.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

One thing I found odd was that it had no depth gauge.  I mean, I didn't notice until my cousin pointed it out, but WTF?

Apparently, the owner felt he had no use for one and didn't buy the option because he only boats Lake Austin and "Knows it so well".

I just thought it was strange that it wasn't standard with the package.  Owner is paying for that to be added before pickup btw.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Trade-offs.

I understand that better. That would still be pretty new one to me. Hell, even 350 hours isn’t crazy to me but I’m an outboard guy. And of course, the $$$ delta.  Congrats on the new ride. 

350 hours isn't bad at all.  I bought that Nautique with 340hrs on it.  This may not be the case with all, but it's when I hit 550ish that shit started going bad.  I initially wanted to have a mechanic do a full meal deal on it, but after being told by one after another, "Sure, I'll be glad to do it, but it'll be 8 to 10 weeks before I can even look at it", the worm turned for me somewhere in that experience.  

A switch flipped and I said to myself, "Nope, ain't gonna play that game.  I'm going to hit the 'reset' button and let someone else deal with the Fetzer Valves".

So, now my issue is dealing with a broker to see how much I can get out of the Nautique whilst waiting for Boat Town to make all the fine tune fixed to this new one, and write a check (no gotdamned payment) in about a week to ten days with plenty of time left to surf out the season.

Everyone's in a different situation, but that is where my sweet spot is right now.  

I had the shot.  There was no danger. So I took it.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

350 hours isn't bad at all.  I bought that Nautique with 340hrs on it.  This may not be the case with all, but it's when I hit 550ish that shit started going bad.  I initially wanted to have a mechanic do a full meal deal on it, but after being told by one after another, "Sure, I'll be glad to do it, but it'll be 8 to 10 weeks before I can even look at it", the worm turned for me somewhere in that experience.  
A switch flipped and I said to myself, "Nope, ain't gonna play that game.  I'm going to hit the 'reset' button and let someone else deal with the Fetzer Valves".
So, now my issue is dealing with a broker to see how much I can get out of the Nautique whilst waiting for Boat Town to make all the fine tune fixed to this new one, and write a check (no gotdamned payment) in about a week to ten days with plenty of time left to surf out the season.
Everyone's in a different situation, but that is where my sweet spot is right now.  
I had the shot.  There was no danger. So I took it.

Congrats man. The 2 most important thing about boats is floatability and availability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

35 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

The 2 most important thing about boats is floatability and availability.

This hits at the heart of it.  I needed an affordable (to me) set-up that will answer the bell 10 times out of 10 when I haul the kids and their friends up to Canyon Lake on a Saturday/Sunday.  In the salad days, when I lived in ATX and the ramp was 10 minutes from my front door, a breakdown wouldn't fuck up the entire day for 8 to 10 people.  Different dynamic when that drive converts to a 2hr round trip (Thanks for nothing Stone Oak!).  That boat needs to start and run all day w/o me having to climb into impossibly tight spaces with a headlamp, a pair pliers, and little chance of figuring out a solution.  That shit was happening 5 out 10 outings once I hit 550hrs on the 226.  

Sorry old gal, but this is where we say "So long".

Or, as they said in Sicario Day of the Soldado - "I've been ordered to cut ties".

Edited by Cajun

On 9/14/2020 at 10:51 PM, troph said:

Congrats Cajun!

She's being delivered to me friday down at Canyon Lake.

Hoping for less traffic than usual out there as I figure out the surf system gadgetry.  Seems straight forward enough, but I can fuck up a wet dream sometimes.

Boat Town installed a depth finder so, hopefully I'll be able to avoid what's pictured above.  For awhile, at least.  Until I decide to go to LBJ and claim my guaranteed bent prop.

She's being delivered to me friday down at Canyon Lake.
Hoping for less traffic than usual out there as I figure out the surf system gadgetry.  Seems straight forward enough, but I can fuck up a wet dream sometimes.
Boat Town installed a depth finder so, hopefully I'll be able to avoid what's pictured above.  For awhile, at least.  Until I decide to go to LBJ and claim my guaranteed bent prop.

I know we all pretty much shit all over your purchase but congrats!

• Hook 'Em 1

Just signed a purchase agreement. Being delivered from South Carolina...

33e9a0e6755e2e652c0c46d3bdace047.jpg

c39c5fa5d3090d93cd21377736db0fc1.jpg

Dog not included, but I already have my own.

Anyone have experience shipping a boat? I’m hiring someone through the Centurion dealer, so presumably a reputable professional. Things I should look out for? I figure I’ll get it on my insurance policy before it heads this way. Should I have it wrapped for shipping or is that unnecessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Anyone have experience shipping a boat? I’m hiring someone through the Centurion dealer, so presumably a reputable professional. Things I should look out for? I figure I’ll get it on my insurance policy before it heads this way. Should I have it wrapped for shipping or is that unnecessary?

Nice!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

That is a good looking boat.  The color scheme is both badass and unique.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

I know we all pretty much shit all over your purchase but congrats!

I was expecting much worse and I was counting on you A-Holes ripping the filter off.  Buncha nautical Simon Cowell prodigies.

This sucker will do till I can find a SANTE that rings my bell.

I think of it as David Ash with gelcoat.

• Hook 'Em 1