The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

21 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't know a lot about boats but I have watched this video a couple of times. The two men, Riva and Lamborghini got together and had a boat built in 1968. This is video of the boat being restored.

Stunning.

I keep threatening to get a Riva one of these days. Fucking gorgeous boats.

2 minutes ago, G650 said:

I keep threatening to get a Riva one of these days. Fucking gorgeous boats.

My boss owns 2- the classic wood ones.  About 12 years ago he was in Italy on Lake Cuomo and saw a few of them and fell in love.  He owns an absolutely unreal house in Tahoe- we visited it some years ago and it's mind-blowing- and he decided to buy one in Italy and ship it back.  So he does, but they stay in Italy for a month and cruise Cuomo, have it trucked to Venice and cruise that, and he decides "no, I'm going to keep this in Italy and come back in the summers and use it when I'm here."   He comes home and decides he still wants one for Tahoe and buys the absolute nicest one he can find.  No idea what he paid but a shitton no doubt.  Mind you he's mid-70's at this point and has made it, so time to enjoy it.  The thing is so nice that they have a Riva Boat parade and contest in Tahoe, and his wins first place.  There are a LOT of Rivas in Tahoe.  We rode in it and it was incredible.

19 hours ago, Cajun said:

Man, I really love the look of that rig.

I just watched this and drooled all over my keyboard...

Came super close to putting in a order for the Ri245, but Ski Dock was high on the price and while I was deciding what to do about it I stumbled across the deal on that Ri237.   They wanted $180k for an Ri245 w/ a sticker of $210k.  I found people getting boats with higher stickers for >$10k less than that.  Even had a  SANTE friend get me an offer a new G25 for $170k.  Ski Dock's only explanation for their price discrepancy with their competitors out of state is that Austin is a hot market.  I don't know why that should matter when you can haul a boat from anywhere in the country at just $1.25/mi.  Anyways, I feel like I was being super thrifty with what I ended up buying, like when your wife comes home and tells you about how much money she saved on discounts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I would say that the one you ended up with is just fine, but that wouldn't be giving it justice.  It's way beyond that.  I'm very envious.  Love the lines and the color.  I've never seen that scheme before and there's a lot to be said for not looking like every other boat out on the lake.

• Like 1

If I ever bought a Centurion, I would have to spring for some name stenciling on the stern.  People on Lake Austin would have to deal with "Biggus Dickus" rolling up and down from Hula Hut to Emma Long...

Edited by Cajun
I'd have to get me one of those fuzzy helmets while driving or surfing too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

What are yall paying for fuel at the dock?

My marina changed from 93 to 87 octane because they are the only game on the lake. 87 non ethanol for 4.50. My 'bu requires 92 or 93. If i fill up, I need to add $75 worth of additives. This summer I would get 20ish gallons to finish the weekend, and then when going back to the lake I would take the boat out of the water and fill up in town. Monster PITA. With a 80ish gallon tank it makes sense to spend 90 minutes loading and unloading.

Just curious if any of you have docks with only 87 at four fucking fifty a gallon.

Canyon Lake Marina was $3.00/gal last weekend for 87 octane.

However, since I trailer mine and keep it in dry storage I usually fill up at the Valero in Startzville for about $1.79ish/gal.

And GOTDAMN an 80ish gallon tank?  My NXT22 has a 50 gal tank and I thought that was a bit much.

Damn.

Edited by Cajun

Canyon Lake Marina was $3.00/gal last weekend for 87 octane.
However, since I trailer mine and keep it in dry storage I usually fill up at the Valero in Startzville for about $1.79ish/gal.
And GOTDAMN an 80ish gallon tank?  My NXT22 has a 50 gal tank and I thought that was a bit much.
Damn.
Yea it is child rape at our lake. 1 marina.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

You know what the owner on that type of boat does for a living?

Not what I do for a living.

Heh, a friend of mine puts it this way.

"At some point back in the history of our youth, that guy's to-do list, and my to-do list, diverged significantly."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

LMAO.

That was my Grandfather's boat.

He used to take it fishing down in the cuts around Rockport and Aransas Pass.

Always wore a one piece jump suit with the zipper down about 3 inches below the Adam's Apple.  You know, for the ventilation.

Shit, we might actually be related

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Always wore a one piece jump suit with the zipper down about 3 inches below the Adam's Apple.  You know, for the ventilation.

My dad’s after work and weekend attire was short sleeve dickies coveralls and laceup redwing boots.  Working at the farm, going fishing, painting the house, didn’t matter.   I remember one year my sisters softball team had a parents and coaches vs the kids games after the season and dad caught 1/2 the game and hit a wearing that attire.  Pretty funny seeing someone running the bases wearing work boots.

• Hook 'Em 2

I found an old pair of coveralls that were my grandfathers. They are up at the family lake house. I wear them when working up there, same as him, but no where near as good at the work part. That said - I’m learning and it’s nice to see pictures of me with my son and of him with me as a kid - both in coveralls.

My grandfather worked in a refinery all his life and lived in coveralls and jumpsuits. He had one "dress" jumpsuit that was hounds tooth with bell bottoms and a big ass collar that he wore well after such things were no longer in style. One July 4th, we were setting off fireworks and he lit a jumping jack that went right up one leg of the jumpsuit. Burned the shit out of his leg, but also burned a huge hole in the jumpsuit from ankle to just above the knee. My step-grandmother said that at least he'd have to throw that ugly thing away, but nooooo.....He cut the legs off into nut-hugger length shorts, cut the sleeves out of it, and it was his wade fishing attire (along with a big ass straw hat with a Budweiser hatband) until he got too old and sick to wade fish. (mid-80s)  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I'm too polite to run up on them and gawk, but im pretty sure this couple strapped a trolling motor to a cauldron or bathtub.

Of course, thats perfectly functional at the Keith Lake cut.

Still, I dont think its been properly surveyed.

They are not of Anglo descent, and it made me reflect upon ingenuity and resourcefulness of fishers the world over.

2e2fb10f1e5ef297524ad231c311b19f.jpg

19eda4b88dbb9e59a46e643b54228b76.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1