The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I'm too polite to run up on them and gawk, but im pretty sure this couple strapped a trolling motor to a cauldron or bathtub.

Of course, thats perfectly functional at the Keith Lake cut.

Still, I dont think its been properly surveyed.

They are not of Anglo descent, and it made me reflect upon ingenuity and resourcefulness of fishers the world over.

2e2fb10f1e5ef297524ad231c311b19f.jpg

19eda4b88dbb9e59a46e643b54228b76.jpg

Ain’t gonna hate. What ever it takes to get out on the water. 

I would imagine they also run triples to add stability/braking capabilities with a lot of people running around with them behind tow vehicles that aren’t really equipped for 10k+ pound loads. Plus, it’s more money they can make off the guy writing the check and we all know 3 axles is better than 2. I bet that thing would be fun to move around in the shop and also up a slick ramp.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, Sbbruin said:

Exhaust system indeed.  Exhaust riser snapped in half.  It’s a common recurring problem on this model boat.  I replaced it about 6 years ago, so it should have been fine.  But no.  Custom item so it needs to be fabricated and shipped.  Out of commission at least a couple of weeks.  Can’t see it under the thermal wrap, but that pipe is snapped and exhaust and raw water just fills the boat if the engine is running.  So I have a boat full of food and booze, and it’s supposed to be 105 at home this weekend.  I’ve taken today and tomorrow off.  So I will be vacationing in my slip for a few days.  Fucking boats, man.

1234827E-0B1C-4576-A6AE-FAB0B7CEB497.jpeg

So epilogue on this bitch.  Finally got the new one installed.  Turns out the prior owner, when he replaced the engine (maybe 20 years ago), the new install didn’t allow for a stock replacement, so I ended up having a custom one fabricated (I.e. $$).  But I’m finally back in business.

3D9B8D80-05D8-4C65-B128-7AC877B1F6F2.jpeg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 10/1/2020 at 7:39 AM, G650 said:

Some crappy FB pictures from the RC this weekend. Actually got to sail against a similar older generation Carkeek which was excellent practice and good fun.

120305610-4768122013212824-7708072451938

120348716-4768121489879543-9015671022293

120351850-4768122143212811-1818127395463

120356983-4767057026652656-2807857828222

120550819-4768122106546148-2358418786358

Ok @G650you have us all beat.  But badly.  Those are SERIOUS sailboats.  Insane sailing in those pics

14 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So epilogue on this bitch.  Finally got the new one installed.  Turns out the prior owner, when he replaced the engine (maybe 20 years ago), the new install didn’t allow for a stock replacement, so I ended up having a custom one fabricated (I.e. $$).  But I’m finally back in business.

3D9B8D80-05D8-4C65-B128-7AC877B1F6F2.jpeg

The stock exhaust elbows on these small diesels are such shit. Custom is the way to go and your's looks great.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Ok @G650you have us all beat.  But badly.  Those are SERIOUS sailboats.  Insane sailing in those pics

Appreciate it man, was lots of fun. We are decidedly middle management in the race scene, the big players are fucking big!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, G650 said:

Appreciate it man, was lots of fun. We are decidedly middle management in the race scene, the big players are fucking big!

That’s mind boggling.  Your sled is sooooo legit.  You no doubt do greater speed than wind speed.  Which is crazy to us cruisers.  Would love to do a day aboard.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That’s mind boggling.  Your sled is sooooo legit.  You no doubt do greater speed than wind speed.  Which is crazy to us cruisers.  Would love to do a day aboard.

The big boys are like Comanche. We are about 4 or 5 rungs down the ladder.

why-choose-southern-spars.jpg

As I said, if we make it to the West Coast you are going for a spin if you like it or not!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Wife gave the go ahead to get a boat.

Would like to stay $75k or below. Boys are 10 and 11 and have love tubing and would like to learn to wake/ski. My hood has a private boat ramp to Lake Austin so I'm going to be trailering it around.

I've pretty much read the entire thread. Leaning towards axis or nxt. I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the choices available.

Anyone want to point out some links of examples of ads for boats I should be looking at?

Better to buy a new/1-2 year old boat or a nicer 3-5 year old boat?

Is this a good deal?

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/austin-excellent-malibu-axis-t-hours/7205206845.html

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Would like to stay $75k or below. Boys are 10 and 11 and have love tubing and would like to learn to wake/ski. My hood has a private boat ramp to Lake Austin so I'm going to be trailering it around.

I've pretty much read the entire thread. Leaning towards axis or nxt. I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the choices available.

Anyone want to point out some links of examples of ads for boats I should be looking at?

Is this a good deal?

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/austin-excellent-malibu-axis-t-hours/7205206845.html

Focus more on hours than vintage would be my first thought.  You should be able to find a nice NXT or Axis at that price point.  For context, I bought this 2019NXT22 about a month ago for $74k at 160 hours.  

IMG_1589.jpeg

119465597_10158436340627348_601439049235614477_n.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

thjs one up thread work a look if still on market, which is doubtful. 

honestly if you can slow play the urge I’d wait to see what happens to the market coming out of this winter. 

This is terrible advice.

You absolutely need to spend through the pain of 2020.  

COVID is a shitshow.  Texas football is a shitshow.  Eddie Van Halen just died.

SPEND.  THROUGH.  THE.  PAIN.

(Author's note: My advice may not be right for all people.  Or any people.  But it's 2020 and I'm sticking to it.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Once the air temp is below 75 it can get down right chilly on the water. There’s tons of discussion on this but basically the kids may be down but you and the wife won’t. The point there is, without squabbling over 75 or 70, the temps falling makes boating season near its end. October is fabulous but it’s really over by November. So buy over the winter for the beginning of next boating season that way you don’t feel rushed.

Is this a good deal?

Dude, we’ve already hashed this shit out. No Mastercraft. Cajun got the last one lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, blacklab said:

Is this a good deal?

There were some really good buys on new 19/20’s out there sitting on lots still if you want to go new. They will be the base level boats like the MC NXT series or the smaller Axis line. Go back a few years and you can get more options for the same dollars, so it’s really all about what you want. Used NXT’s and Axis boats are selling for basically new prices, so new is the better buy right now in those lines in my opinion.

Wake boat preferences are worse than any car/truck discussion, everyone has their preference and they are right. I would lean towards the entry levels without all the crap you don’t need. I have seen some new NXT 22’s out there for mid 80’s. I don’t know that I have seen any ‘20 Axis boats though, but I haven’t been looking at them. There are some 21 NXT’s advertised pretty cheap right now also. TX MC had some XT’s in the 90’s a couple weeks ago which were really good buys, but they may be gone now. If you look on onlyinboards, there are production slots for NXT 20’s for mid 80’s plus a trailer.

Edited by Brew

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

This is a cool looking Master Craft, I would think that black interior would be hot as shit though, not to mention the water spots.789d07a283166b4be8f60dc09fb747b6.pngb336dfc9152517d7f9a9d94feca6342b.pngd1123a66155eb264f9c113ba4b0dd7f3.png

That looks like a detailing nightmare, a hot sun nightmare, and just nuts for any kind of real use in my opinion (although MC does say their higher end vinyl in dark colors does not get hot like it used to.) I can live with the exterior color, but I don’t get these interior colors and deck colors that people are ordering. Red, green, black, blue, purple, etc make zero sense to me and I’ve seen them all on some expensive boats like that $200k+ one above.

It’s kind of like this $200k used masterpiece. It’s the boating version of a mullet, business on the outside party on the inside.

5271B803-48F7-4AFA-8833-D811E3ADBC9E.jpeg

As Wesley Snipes would say, always bet on black.

Except with a boat,  then you're a dumbass.

My boat's vinyl is mostly white, with a slightly tan strip of upholstery along the sundeck.  Hey, guess what's 100 million fucking degrees in an Austin summer?  A slightly tan strip of upholstery.

As an owner of a black boat, with gray and black upholstery, the above example is insane.  Hot doesn’t begin to describe it.  My upholstery is only black accented (and a fishing boat so seating is only used to get to A, B, dock) and there’s no way I’d do what they did there. Seriously. That’s useless between May and November.