The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

7 minutes ago, troph said:

oh man what was her name? she was one of the classy ladies on the old site.  don't think their together anymore btw.

Classy lady you say?  Was she by any chance Jewish?

If so, Iconoclast is interested in having Christmas dinner with her...

9 hours ago, Lat22 said:

It sounds filter related.  Might be the VST filter. Could also be the anti siphon valve on top of the fuel tank.  You might need to have your injectors cleaned.  From the "maintenance matters" brochure that Yamaha puts out.

1. Primary On-Engine Filter. This is typically on the front, side, or rear of the powerhead, and is usually made of plastic you can see through. It filters fuel coming into the outboard. This “primary” filter usually features a small water trap at the bottom of the cup. This is the first filter after the 10-micron filter; so if there’s water in here, it’s time to change your 10-micron. On Yamaha outboards, there may be a red ring visible inside this filter. Don’t ever remove it. If it’s floating, you’ve got water in this filter’s trap. Time for a change.

2. Vapor Separator Tank (VST) Filter. Attached to the electric fuel pump in the Vapor Separator Tank (VST), this filters gas again just before it’s pressurized into the fuel injection rail(s). The VST is a prime spot in your fuel system where deposits and gum can form, particularly if fuel is untreated, and the VST filter is the most difficult to access and usually the most expensive to replace. Help protect it by consistently treating every tank of fuel, and regularly inspecting and servicing the first two filters in the fuel line.

3. In-Line Filter. Some models have an in-line filter between the primary fuel pump and the VST (vapor separator tank) and/or in the fuel line between the VST and the fuel rail, located along the top of the outboard. Refer to your service manual or contact your dealer for the exact location for your model.

4. Fuel Injector Screen. These are built into each fuel injector. They’re very fine-mesh screens and are not user-serviceable. If debris somehow makes it here, the fuel injectors must be removed and professionally cleaned, or replaced—reason enough to inspect and/or change your fuel filters regularly.

VST Filter confirmed replaced last august. One down...

On 10/23/2020 at 9:35 AM, Armybrat said:

NSIAP, but these launch ramp shenanigans make mine look pretty tame... except for the woman involved.

Summer of 1962 i was at Walsh Landing putting my little 15’  Glasspar ski rig in the water. Got it launched without incident and had girlfriend Elaine pull it over by dockside with the bow rope to await my return from the parking lot.

Walking back down the driveway I noticed something askance... gf in her small white 2-piece suit looked distressed and my boat was almost 1/4 down in the water by the stern. Forgot to insert the gottdam drain plug.

Tied the boat up, put the drain plug in, and we both started to bail the water out with what was at hand. Luckily I got it started, then when out on the water and up to enough speed, pulled the plug to drain the remainder. Would’ve made a mildly amusing Youtube video.

To satisfy Surly Rule #1, here is Elaine:
(sorry, no bikini pics)

6BFE6551-16FF-4FAE-B761-8FED8B188F51.jpeg

I would very much like to see Elaine in that bikini.  Very much.

Gal had some sticks, that's for sure.

On the submarine we used to joke to make sure number of dives = number of surfaces.

With my boat I'm going for number of launches = number of recoveries.

So far 1 for 1. 

Need to go find a big parking lot and practice backing up  Looked like a complete idiot trying to get boat into the water.

Boys were shivering but had huge smiles on their faces. Also determined my circle drive in front of my house is not compatible with the boat. Will be renting a space at the storage place around the corner on Monday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On the submarine we used to joke to make sure number of dives = number of surfaces.

With my boat I'm going for number of launches = number of recoveries.

So far 1 for 1. 

Need to go find a big parking lot and practice backing up  Looked like a complete idiot trying to get boat into the water.

Boys were shivering but had huge smiles on their faces. Also determined my circle drive in front of my house is not compatible with the boat. Will be renting a space at the storage place around the corner on Monday.

Some advice - Take your wife with you to said parking lot and teach her to back the trailer as well. It’s always better to have plenty of people that can back the trailer. If you’re ever hurt, she may need to back the trailer.

9 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Some advice - Take your wife with you to said parking lot and teach her to back the trailer as well. It’s always better to have plenty of people that can back the trailer. If you’re ever hurt, she may need to back the trailer.

Teach her how to drive the boat and load/unload the boat off the trailer.  It’s pretty hard to sink a boat and I always figured a little gelcoat scratch was better than a jackknifed trailer or submerged truck.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davidg said:

Teach her how to drive the boat and load/unload the boat off the trailer.  It’s pretty hard to sink a boat and I always figured a little gelcoat scratch was better than a jackknifed trailer or submerged truck.

I went with the teach her to properly hold the boat at the dock method. No jack knifed truck and no gel coat scratches, win/win. She does pull the truck out after unloading though. We did get caught in a storm one time and she couldn’t hold the boat, luckily she conned some other guy into backing the trailer down.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

One lives in Alpine, TX, one is only 15, and the other is moving to London.

No point really.

My son started unloading/loading the boat when he was about 12 or so.  Wife is usually in the boat and he kept asking if he could do it.  TBH, a trailer with guide on poles is pretty easy to load unless there is a strong cross wind. 

Another issue - All 3 girls are vampires, stay up all night sleep till noon, especially weekends.

I like to be up at the crack of the ass to put the boat on the water as mornings on the lake when it's calm and the ramps are Stage 7 Goat Rodeos.

tldr/girls have the ability, but not the availability.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, davidg said:

My son started unloading/loading the boat when he was about 12 or so.  Wife is usually in the boat and he kept asking if he could do it.  TBH, a trailer with guide on poles is pretty easy to load unless there is a strong cross wind. 

A properly positioned trailer plus trailer guides make loading pretty simple. I think if I was going to teach my wife one of the two, it would be loading the boat as trailer positioning covers most of the issues you run into. As far as loading, outboard and I/O’s are pretty simple. Inboards can get you into trouble with a breeze or current because they don’t function well in reverse. I’ve seen too many come in slightly angled and end up over the side of the trailer because the trailer also wasn’t positioned correctly.

10 years or so ago I owned a very shallow water cat.  Stevie wonder could have landed that thing on the trailer. Only downside is it didn’t have reverse. Technically you could put it in reverse, but no, no usable reverse.   But you really couldn’t fuck it up.  Current ride isn’t bad, but can still be a pain on steep ramps. Wife isn’t interested in backing down, and definitely not putting boat on/off.  We can still get it done in about 90 seconds give or take a minute. 

• Like 1

What really grinds my gears is watching others on the ramps with lot's of "helpers" taking 4 times as long as I do by my fucking self to get their boats launched and their truck/trailers out of the way for the next guy waiting.

No urgency at all as they pretend not to see the 5 boats stacked up in a holding pattern waiting their turn.

Happened all the time at Walsh Landing.  Selfish mf'ers.

much better today.

Only had to pull forward once. Stopped listening to wife and just watched sides in mirrors. 

I think the key is constant little adjustments both ways rather than just trying to stay strait.

Boys and their friends had a blast. Lake Austin was pretty busy a few miles on either side of the bridge but pretty open west.

• Hook 'Em 1

Take your boys to the rope swing a couple of miles down from Mansfield Dam.  It's calm, clear, and a shitload of fun.  Water is CryoTherapy cold though.  It's on the right side as you're heading toward the dam ---

IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg

IMG_0542.jpeg

IMG_0567.jpeg

Edited by Cajun

22 hours ago, Brew said:

A properly positioned trailer 

IMO, this is the biggest part to getting a boat on the trailer.  If you look at the qualified captain or other boat ramp videos, the guys really screwing up have the trailer backed way too  far into the water to where the bunks don't even guide the boat.   I took pic in Sept of my wife putting the boat on the trailer.  I like to back it in so that about 1/2 of the tops of the fenders show when loading.   She can drive it right on, give it a slight power load and be within a foot or two of the bow stop.  By the time she has the motor shut down, trimmed up and electronics killed, I have winched it up tight and put on the bow safety strap.   Whoever is in the boat, stays there until I pull it out and move to an area out of the ramp  to unload the boat.  We usually wheels in/out in under a minute.

IMG_8131.thumb.JPG.beed7a5a61cb14480c864d75fd906750.JPG

• Like 1

That’s where the sweet spot is for me too, little more fender showing actually. Any deeper and the tires will float the trailer just enough to be unstable.  I can pretty much hit the bow stop if it’s perfect, no real “powering on” or winching.  But too steep a ramp and I’m screwed. All kind of wonky issues.  

I need to take a video of my sailboat launches. It involves unhooking the trailer from the truck and then throwing the rope tied to the trailer on the hitch. Speed launch ftw. When you have a keel you try to get the job done and fast so the others can get in as well. I could back a trailer at 14 as my old man taught me well. I would lose my shit at a public ramp. Ain't nobody got time for that shit.

What's the incremental cost difference between storage and time value of adding 30m-1h to each trip vs. slip fee?  Seems pretty close based on the rates I saw around here last time I looked.

Unless you have a slip very close to home and can store your boat on your own property without triggering your HOA, seems like a slip would be a relatively easy sell. 

My storage is 3/10ths of a mile from the ramp.  Full on covered with electricity to charge batteries, inflate toys, do work, etc.  Fully protected from the elements and much less worry about winterization.  Much.  The boat is spotless inside and out everytime I take it out.  No pain in the ass putting on the cover either.

$160 per mo.

Keeping it on the lake (Canyon) is roughly $500 per mo, with a lot more exposure to the elements even with a cover and a roof. 

Keep in mind Canyon Lake is cheap to keep in a slip relative to Lake Austin (my former "home" lake).

Edited by Cajun