The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

5 hours ago, Cajun said:

I get the "Fuck trailering/ramps" sentiment.  I do.

I'm just offering up that if you have the right situation and experience it's just not a big deal.

It really isn't.

I have a place at the lake and still trailer my boat back and forth every weekend we go. I don’t want to leave it and it takes us 5 minutes to unload/load. I prefer gas stations over toting gas cans along with being able to wash it each trip and not having it outside constantly. To further complicate it, my shop where I leave it is probably another 20 minutes out of my way which adds to the trouble. We load everything at the shop and go, wash it, unload it, and cover it back at the shop when we get back.

If I had to wait to load/unload I would probably change my mind, but we never wait at the ramp.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

I you don't know what you're doing it is.  

Definitely.

If you do it's an afterthought.

I don't want to go early, stay late, wait in line, go to storage to get it, take an hour to get there, all that crap.  the mechanics of in and out of the water, meh.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, justhookit said:

Captain made it to Costa Rica yesterday and down to the boat today for the first time since March. Our 2 Tico mates did a great job keeping the boat up. It’s been nice not having to worry about that. I wouldn’t trust Texas mates to watch the boat for 6 months.

impressive condition.  but I wonder if....

ferrarijump.jpg

• Haha 1

Haha yeah. But they are actually allowed to take the boat out. It’s part of their job to make sure the boat gets run every 10 days or so. Diesels don’t like sitting and it keeps the bottom clean. So there’s a buoy about 5 miles from the marina they run out to and troll around for dolphin for 30 minutes or so. Jumped off a marlin doing that last year. Huge surprise that close to shore.

14 hours ago, justhookit said:

Looks a little shallow. Also needs more outboards. Don’t get me wrong it’s nice to go fast but when you are spending that much give me a kitchen, good a/c, real bathrooms, and beds.

What's this kitchen, a/c, heads and beds shit you are talking about?

C40-MKII-interior-aft.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, davidg said:

Shitter needs a set of winch pedals.  Might as well help trim a sail while you're down there.

This is actually a previous hull. We don't even have a shitter. I just didn't have any good pictures down below since construction.

20190401-141857.jpg

Free Islander 36 in Houston if anyone wants it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sailboatswapshop/permalink/2060247150778279/?sale_post_id=2060247150778279

Honestly if you pulled all of the shit out of the interior, you could salvage that thing.  I'd never do it, but for someone with a lot of time on his hands (and about $10k), you could bring it back to life.

On 10/27/2020 at 2:10 PM, justhookit said:

Captain made it to Costa Rica yesterday and down to the boat today for the first time since March. Our 2 Tico mates did a great job keeping the boat up. It’s been nice not having to worry about that. I wouldn’t trust Texas mates to watch the boat for 6 months.

IMG_1270.mov

How big is she? 

Vic approved. It’s about 50,000 pounds. 45’

Fantastic boat. A friend of ours just sold their 62 and he’s going custom now. I would have stuck with it.

My dad is closing on a 1979 58 Hatteras Yachtfish in a couple weeks after it’s surveyed. We are stoked. It will a loop boat first but then between the keys and bahamas before we take it down to the virgins. We are still weighing putting a sea keeper in her. She’s otherwise almost completely refit but for her low hour diesels(that are started and run weekly even when not in use). We’ll see. Our poor center consoles are going to be on the back burner, unless pathfinder says we can tow our 24 to the bahamas with some reinforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, longhrnfan said:

Fantastic boat. A friend of ours just sold their 62 and he’s going custom now. I would have stuck with it.

My dad is closing on a 1979 58 Hatteras Yachtfish in a couple weeks after it’s surveyed. We are stoked. It will a loop boat first but then between the keys and bahamas before we take it down to the virgins. We are still weighing putting a sea keeper in her. She’s otherwise almost completely refit but for her low hour diesels(that are started and run weekly even when not in use). We’ll see. Our poor center consoles are going to be on the back burner, unless pathfinder says we can tow our 24 to the bahamas with some reinforcement.

Hope the Hatteras works out. They are great boats. 
As to the custom boat thing I mostly hate them and I’ve fished on a bunch. I wouldn’t be able to run fast enough from a Spencer. That said, by far the best boat I’ve ever fished was a 62 F&S. Just an amazing boat. The nice thing about my Viking is when anything breaks you can easily get it replaced. Custom boats just can’t do that.

Unless you really think you need the seakeeper I wouldn’t do it. They work great but I know a bunch of people that have had issues retrofitting them in older boats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When my uncle retired a few years back, he became full time captain for his best friend who had just sold his healthcare software company for FU money.

This week they took delivery of a Leopard 50L, it'll be based out of Nassau.  They pulled it for surveying/insurance  and to install folding props.

https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-50

Hoping I can swing a few days/week on it within the next few months.

Leopard%2050-8146.jpg?itok=jH6WliZ8

123240883_1508358552686629_6330788771114364009_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=YGTfARGpV8cAX9QPUJh&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=0749d91037f514d6ff7f5477ecae7026&oe=5FC854DE123089652_1508358579353293_6817202481910720608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=EIPY68LySJIAX-jhtHy&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=10911a818d3e12db7041f2fb1f17c135&oe=5FC59EB0123244215_1508358609353290_8440854875308172610_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=vzKsxf9qYdEAX9JWarL&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=35473f3e9fa7b367f447dc20f4fdf96a&oe=5FC909C9

• Hook 'Em 4

When my uncle retired a few years back, he became full time captain for his best friend who had just sold his healthcare software company for FU money.
This week they took delivery of a Leopard 50L, it'll be based out of Nassau.  They pulled it for surveying/insurance  and to install folding props.
https://www.leopardcatamarans.com/catamarans/leopard-50
Hoping I can swing a few days/week on it within the next few months.
Leopard%2050-8146.jpg?itok=jH6WliZ8
123240883_1508358552686629_6330788771114364009_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=YGTfARGpV8cAX9QPUJh&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=0749d91037f514d6ff7f5477ecae7026&oe=5FC854DE123089652_1508358579353293_6817202481910720608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=EIPY68LySJIAX-jhtHy&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=10911a818d3e12db7041f2fb1f17c135&oe=5FC59EB0123244215_1508358609353290_8440854875308172610_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=vzKsxf9qYdEAX9JWarL&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=35473f3e9fa7b367f447dc20f4fdf96a&oe=5FC909C9

I'm not sure how much you realize how awesome that boat is. A 50' Leopard is a sick yacht with a massive amount of space. If you can figure a way to weasel a trip, you do it. That is a yacht of the highest order.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure how much you realize how awesome that boat is. A 50' Leopard is a sick yacht with a massive amount of space. If you can figure a way to weasel a trip, you do it. That is a yacht of the highest order.

I just watched all the videos wow I’d love to spend a week on one !!

11 hours ago, troph said:

I just watched all the videos wow I’d love to spend a week on one !!

I’m a monohull guy, but just because that’s how I’ve lived my life since I was a kid.  But a big cat is something I’d love to charter.   And that’s why almost all charter companies have shifted to a lot of cats in their fleets.  Damn are they roomy.  And the cockpits are massive. And they sail pretty flat.  I type this sleeping in my monohull for the first time in a month after ankle surgery.  Boy was she filthy when I got here.  Longest I have abandoned her ever.  Never again.

• Like 1

I’m a monohull guy, but just because that’s how I’ve lived my life since I was a kid.  But a big cat is something I’d love to charter.   And that’s why almost all charter companies have shifted to a lot of cats in their fleets.  Damn are they roomy.  And the cockpits are massive. And they sail pretty flat.  I type this sleeping in my monohull for the first time in a month after ankle surgery.  Boy was she filthy when I got here.  Longest I have abandoned her ever.  Never again.

I’ve got a new consumer product startup in the works. I now have new dreams of a cat like this in south Florida or the Bahamas, dedicated captain and crew and offset some personnel expenses with an exclusive charter business.

11 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ve got a new consumer product startup in the works. I now have new dreams of a cat like this in south Florida or the Bahamas, dedicated captain and crew and offset some personnel expenses with an exclusive charter business.

I wish you the best of luck.  And yes, they are perfect for the shallow drafts of south Florida.   Port Charlotte is one of my retirement destinations.

On 11/7/2020 at 10:02 AM, Sbbruin said:

Gunboat ftw.

Really wish I had told my wife to get her phone out today. We were heading back to the pier and were pulling my son and his buddy on the tube. A boat was pulling a wakeboarder ahead of us and due to a few boats around there was not a good place to pass him. So I cut strait across his wake, boat went flying, look up in the mirror and the tube is about 10 feet in the air and the boys are doing cartwheels through the air in opposite directions.

Had a bit of excitement after the lake when taking the boat to get gas. As I turned into the gas station the tube flew off the boat and landed in the middle of the road. About shit myself thinking the boat fell off the trailer when I heard all the horns honking from the cars behind us.

• Like 1

There’s no yellow or black paint? Right?

Right. The murder hornet is not a suspect at this time.

I don’t see anyone else’s paint there. I went and checked the starboard side of all the boats that have to pass mine to leave the marina. I didn’t find any smoking guns unfortunately. I have a pretty particular paint and I was looking to see if it was rubbed onto anyone’s boat, but I didn’t find it. I did find these suspicious and consistent marks on the starboard side of a boat a couple of slips over, but it doesn’t really prove much.

19e9e3a009d818339e920e844e7de6f6.jpg

Waiting on an estimate from a gel coat guy. And I just purchased a cover for the platform. I’ll probably see if I can modify the cover with a pool noodle to serve as a bumper. My platform sticks out in the channel more than most of the other boats by about a foot. But I pull as far forward as I am able. My boat is nose to nose with the boat in front of it.