The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Appreciate the feedback.  I know the bigger engine is obviously more desirable, but my question is more...will the smaller one handle that particular boat?  As I mentioned, the boat I want (color, options, location, etc) just happens to have the smaller engines.  If I were ordering it new, I could just get the bigger engines plus all the other shit the way I want it.  But I'm not buying new.  There are two total used ones on the market in the entire country (that aren't on a coast and in salt) and I don't like the one with the bigger engines enough to pull the trigger at that price.  So it's more, do I hold out for something else to come on the market or will the smaller engine be sufficient, even if not completely desirable?  Considering everything else is completely desirable.
I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with my boat search.  Have missed on the last three boats I was ready to buy...all already had contracts by the time I was ready to make offer.  First one I fucked around too long before I was ready to pull the trigger so that one's on me and will probably always just be the one that got away.  The other two were just gone really fast.  And there have been several before that that already had a contract when I called.  Apparently still a sellers market...fucking covid.
I've been shopping since the beginning of October.  I don't want to get desperate and do something stupid, but I'm starting to feel like no boat is going to be perfect and something's gotta give.

So all of the boats you want are selling really really fast except for the one with small engines. Is that correct?

If so, I think you have your answer.

If it was me and I bought that boat, I’d get an alert on my phone right after I signed the papers of one with bigger engines. Because that’s my luck.

What boat is this again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Appreciate the feedback.  I know the bigger engine is obviously more desirable, but my question is more...will the smaller one handle that particular boat?  As I mentioned, the boat I want (color, options, location, etc) just happens to have the smaller engines.  If I were ordering it new, I could just get the bigger engines plus all the other shit the way I want it.  But I'm not buying new.  There are two total used ones on the market in the entire country (that aren't on a coast and in salt) and I don't like the one with the bigger engines enough to pull the trigger at that price.  So it's more, do I hold out for something else to come on the market or will the smaller engine be sufficient, even if not completely desirable?  Considering everything else is completely desirable.

I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with my boat search.  Have missed on the last three boats I was ready to buy...all already had contracts by the time I was ready to make offer.  First one I fucked around too long before I was ready to pull the trigger so that one's on me and will probably always just be the one that got away.  The other two were just gone really fast.  And there have been several before that that already had a contract when I called.  Apparently still a sellers market...fucking covid.

I've been shopping since the beginning of October.  I don't want to get desperate and do something stupid, but I'm starting to feel like no boat is going to be perfect and something's gotta give.

Go take the one you want for a sea trial and see how it runs.   You aren't gonna be blasting the tops of the waves at 45 knots in that thing anyway as it seems more like a drinks at the dock and an evening cruise around the lake type of boat.

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

So all of the boats you want are selling really really fast except for the one with small engines. Is that correct?

If so, I think you have your answer.

If it was me and I bought that boat, I’d get an alert on my phone right after I signed the papers of one with bigger engines. Because that’s my luck.

What boat is this again?

No, the same boat with the bigger engines is available too.  I just don't like it as much.  Of the last three, one was on the market for a while but I just fucked around too long before I committed.  On the other two, one was pretty rare and one was probably price driven.  All three were different boats than this.

Oh, I fully expect to see my real dream boat come online the day after I sign the papers.  That's just how life works, right?

This is a 2018 Carver C34 - It really is pretty close to the perfect boat for what I need...how we use it, size of my slip, etc.  Probably really want something bigger, but that will require getting a second slip and that all just sounds like a little much.

3 minutes ago, davidg said:

Go take the one you want for a sea trial and see how it runs.   You aren't gonna be blasting the tops of the waves at 45 knots in that thing anyway as it seems more like a drinks at the dock and an evening cruise around the lake type of boat.

That's exactly how we boat.

Just got back from Miami from the faux Nassau race. We earned this one. First Covid wrecked shop with all the plans, and after much gnashing and wailing, Miami Nassau ended up being a circle in the ocean from Miami over to the Bahama Bank and back. Then TS/Hurricane Eta fucked the timing, so the race got pushed back a day, and we had to take whole crew to try and sail the boat down from Palm Beach to Miami the day before the race dead upwind in 20+kts (motoring was not an option). So pretty well shot in the ass before the race even started.

Thankfully the weather for the race was pretty gorgeous, if a little light.

Miami-Nassau1.jpg

Miami-Nassau2.jpg

Miami-Nassau3.jpg

Miami-Nassau4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Gorgeous! I took up sailing a few years ago, started with ASA 101 basic keelboat and over the course of a year did 5 courses plus 105 Navigation (classroom) so I could rent a boat in the BVIs. I had a captain on board less than 24 hours then it was just me and my family, kids 10 and 13 for 9 days on a 46’ monohull, It was amazing. We are renting a 42’ cat next July for 10 days. I can’t wait!9dcf0a92516d6ec2302f9fa51d3e8a4e.jpg
c7a1fde9c677c9fd59a560a0aed62577.jpg
631915496b26fb6a790408a384fc466f.jpg
5f000816a03fd95556dc21ab2e4a1bd1.jpg
1946f4cc5363730d6a0ca2f7c1f2c355.jpg
2688041fccd780bfb73fa552f84a4af9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Landomatic said:

No, the same boat with the bigger engines is available too.  I just don't like it as much.  Of the last three, one was on the market for a while but I just fucked around too long before I committed.  On the other two, one was pretty rare and one was probably price driven.  All three were different boats than this.

Oh, I fully expect to see my real dream boat come online the day after I sign the papers.  That's just how life works, right?

This is a 2018 Carver C34 - It really is pretty close to the perfect boat for what I need...how we use it, size of my slip, etc.  Probably really want something bigger, but that will require getting a second slip and that all just sounds like a little much.

You said this is a 30+ foot boat. Can't imagine powering that with any V6 short of a highly modded race engine. Take a walk around 2 or 3 boat yards and ask the mechanics what they see powering that size boat. Guessing they don't see many V-6's.

1 hour ago, dlatin said:

Gorgeous! I took up sailing a few years ago, started with ASA 101 basic keelboat and over the course of a year did 5 courses plus 105 Navigation (classroom) so I could rent a boat in the BVIs. I had a captain on board less than 24 hours then it was just me and my family, kids 10 and 13 for 9 days on a 46’ monohull, It was amazing. We are renting a 42’ cat next July for 10 days. I can’t wait!9dcf0a92516d6ec2302f9fa51d3e8a4e.jpg
c7a1fde9c677c9fd59a560a0aed62577.jpg
631915496b26fb6a790408a384fc466f.jpg
5f000816a03fd95556dc21ab2e4a1bd1.jpg
1946f4cc5363730d6a0ca2f7c1f2c355.jpg
2688041fccd780bfb73fa552f84a4af9.jpg

That's awesome.  We spent a week of our honeymoon 24  years ago (celebrated our 24th yesterday) chartering the BVI's.  Fantastic.   Great place to cut your teeth.  

58 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

You said this is a 30+ foot boat. Can't imagine powering that with any V6 short of a highly modded race engine. Take a walk around 2 or 3 boat yards and ask the mechanics what they see powering that size boat. Guessing they don't see many V-6's.

Well, there are two of them in there.

Frank Butler, founder of Catalina Yachts and an icon in the industry, passes away at 92.  I met him during a tour of the Woodland Hills factory maybe a dozen years ago and he was a very engaging man. Thanks for building me a fine vessel.  Eight bells.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/story/people/eight-bells-frank-butler-founder-of-catalina-yachts/

20 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Talked to an appraiser/inspector buddy of mine and he said run don’t walk from that small engine.  Said he’d be shocked if it could do over 30 mph and although that might be fine for the way we use it, it’ll be a nightmare when it’s time to resell it.

I was just informed, under no circumstance do you use Sea Foam for winterization, it has an alcohol base and even more corrosive than ethanol. Use Stabil Marine 360, hook up your water hose and let the engine run for about 8-10 minutes so the Stabil gets up into the fuel rail and injectors. Drain the block, unless your boat has a heat exchanger, drain the exhaust manifolds, transmission cooler, and heater, if your boat has these items. Use the pink biodegradable Marine and RV antifreeze, put all the drain plugs back in and fill the block, manifolds, transmission cooler, and heater (the whole system) its different on Yanmars, Mercruisers, Volvos, etc. on how to fill them. On the Tige above you just pull the water intake hose and fill the whole system up, Mercruiser you have to fill in three different places.

For ballast tanks, put a funnel into the ballast drain hole and pour antifreeze onto the top of the pumps. The ballast intake pumps on this boat are self draining, and most boats are also self draining, but it would be best to check.

Sea Foam goes into your first tank when you take it out of winterization. The non-toxic biodegradable antifreeze lets you just drop the boat into the water in the Spring and go on your way without having to do anything.

CHIEF

• Like 1

This is the best time of year to be out on your boat in Texas. I can’t imagine putting my boat to sleep until the spring.  Then again, I am on the coast where long freezes don’t really happen. 

I enjoy boating into November, but I’ll say a week night in august at about 7:30-8:30pm is the absolute best time on a central Texas lake, at least as far as I’m concerned. Warm water, summer breeze, temp is comfortable and the richness of the sunset makes the colors pop.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, troph said:

I enjoy boating into November, but I’ll say a week night in august at about 7:30-8:30pm is the absolute best time on a central Texas lake, at least as far as I’m concerned. Warm water, summer breeze, temp is comfortable and the richness of the sunset makes the colors pop.

Late August, yes.  Fuck that 110 degree shit in early August though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Perfect day, and after last weekend’s nice sail with the fam, and with LA on lockdown, I figured I could convince them to come down for another today given the weather.  Got nothing but pushback,so said “see ya” and headed down solo.  Nice little chill solo sail, and now have a prime filet, Brussel sprouts, and mashed potatoes lined up for dinner.  And UCLA football.  Cannot complain in any way. 

7BD59177-D772-43C3-9A91-392CEBC7BA63.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 12/5/2020 at 6:40 PM, Sbbruin said:

Perfect day, and after last weekend’s nice sail with the fam, and with LA on lockdown, I figured I could convince them to come down for another today given the weather.  Got nothing but pushback,so said “see ya” and headed down solo.  Nice little chill solo sail, and now have a prime filet, Brussel sprouts, and mashed potatoes lined up for dinner.  And UCLA football.  Cannot complain in any way. 

7BD59177-D772-43C3-9A91-392CEBC7BA63.jpeg

This is the thread to be on when your team sucks nasty donkey balls. There really can’t be a complaint when you’re on the water, it’s not possible.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

We probably won't have time to take the boat out the next few weeks, but will again in January on any day above 70. 
Should I do anything to winterize?

Fill gas tank and add some stabilizer?

Yep the Marine 360 Stabil. Use the 24/24 rule of thumb for the engine block. If it stays 24 degrees for 24 hours, any water in the block will probably crack it.

CHIEF

32 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I don’t know shit but when does it stay 24 degrees for 24 hours in Austin?

Never. It might happen once every 2-3 years, here, in North Texas. If you know how to do your own winterization there probably isn't a reason to have someone winterize your boat in Austin. Just watch the weather for an abnormally cold front and do it the day before.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

We probably won't have time to take the boat out the next few weeks, but will again in January on any day above 70. 
Should I do anything to winterize?
Fill gas tank and add some stabilizer?

A Texas winterization only takes about 5-10 minutes tops. Drain both sides of the block. Drain the v-drive and water pump. Once you have a nice winter day just put the plugs back in block and you are good to go.

Yeah the projected overnight lows in Austin from now through Christmas only dip below freezing once, it's supposed to hit 31 this Wednesday night but even if it does, it won't stay below freezing long enough to matter.

Of course, weather can change at any time, so be certain to check the weather frequently.  

sailors.... local ones especially or distant ones with general recs... I think we will add sailing lessons to our repertoire this spring and then we will want access to a sailboat fleet.  Could be adult only, could be family.   Looks like via online search there are four options:

Landfall Sailing - https://www.landfallsailing.com/sailing-lessons/  -   Positives, this is very close to us - we can drive 5 mins, or boat 10 mins (closer by boat but boating isn't as fast).  Rough Hollow Yacht Club is an easy on the eyes experience too (lots of big boats, the cove is one of the best on the lake).  not sure about Freedom Boat Club from a cost perspective for limited sailing access, obviously we don't need access to anything but sailing at this point.

Texas Sailing - http://www.texassailing.com/membership-advantages - monthly fees for membership are low but you only get a discount on charters.  If you want an overnight on a larger boat it's probably pushing $750 is my guess with discount.  I can't tell about their classes though, page for sailing lessons is light.  low cost, pay when you use it is nice.  if we sailed 6 times a year, it's probably not much different than some of the other cost packages where it's a few hundred per month no matter.

Outbound Sailing: https://www.outboundsailing.com/sailing-lessons/  -  maximum of two per class, can't tell if that's COVID related or not.  Upside they will help with "exotic" locations and training there and they have a membership program to provide access to sailboats without having to buy.  very cool.  downside is its one of the two farthest from us.

Austin Yacht Club - https://www.austinyachtclub.net/ - the place to go to learn how to race, not really what I'm looking for.  down side membership includes an interview.  there are some public service requirements it seems.  They want you committed, not sure we are ready for this.  other downside - farthest from our home.  cool side would be meeting people (potentially) that are like minded. 

Leaning toward Landfall or Texas sailing at this point, the one that will let me run jimmy buffet "a pirate looks at 40" and "son of a son of a sailor" on a loop probably gets the nod.  I have an email out to Landfall and Texas sailing.

thoughts?

Edited by troph

On 11/20/2020 at 4:00 PM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. is winterizing all of our friend's boats after school. He is doing about 10 a day for work on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I am about to help him with the one below, if anybody wants, I will have him make a tutorial video.

BryanRZX.png

CHIEF

prob late to this but a video tutorial would be great, especially on a surf boat.  he could probably post it on youtube and pick up some biznass.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

I leave the safety chains attached to the tow vehicle when I separate the ball from the trailer. Just in case. Safety chains are the last step in the separation process.

When I was a brand new boater I had a boat trailer start to move on me. Me and a buddy stopped and chocked it.

Yep, and always always set your parking brake.

CHIEF

11 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

What happened with the Pathfinder?? Did they reverse that hard or ??

Such a strange sequence of events. Did the guy driving jump out when the boat broke loose without the SUV in park? It seemed to be going too fast for that though.

Back when I was just a poor newlywed, A buddy and I would grab a couple of lawn chairs, ice down a case of beer and go sit at the boat ramp by the 360 bridge and people watch. The line to launch on Saturdays was usually 30-45 minutes long. Everyone would have their boat completely loaded, plugs in, test fired, everyone loaded, and ready to go....but not the Indians (dot). They backed down the ramp to where the back of the boat was about a foot from going in the water, then proceed to take about 10 minutes loading food, life jackets, put in the plugs, slowly load grandma and grandpa. By then some roided up gym rat had his craw full and mopped the floor with the Dad. Scared the whole family so bad, they all just loaded back up into the SUV and left. Hard way to learn a lesson.

Probably seen 200 people bust their ass where the ramp was slick. Watched several boats start sinking because the owner forgot to put the plugs in, a couple of engine fires from too much starter fluid, and the engine backfiring through the carbs. People not knowing how to back their boat, slamming their boat on the trailer hard enough to crack gelcoat, you name it.

Sad to say that it was amusing at the time. 

CHIEF