The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Landfall / freedom boat club got back to me, landfall is awesome but freedom doesn’t have a sailing only membership. Plus they have a down payment requirement now.  No way. Would love to base out of rough hollow but that seems unlikely.  Texas sailing seems next best and they are out of lakeway, that’s who takes care of us still, it’s where we gas up, and we love the staff so it may make good sense.  

14 hours ago, troph said:

I get people taking too long but there really isn’t any reason to rake someone at the boat ramp.  Everyone is stressed.  Everyone is there to have a good time.  Take a deep breath and don’t be an asshole. 

Agree. When it's appropriate and people seem receptive, I've offered to back up and help launch many n00bz at the boat ramp.  Helps them have a better outcome, helps the rest of the line to move along.  Total win-win.

21 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Watched several boats start sinking because the owner forgot to put the plugs in, 

Sad to say that it was amusing at the time. 

CHIEF

That was me over at the Walsh Landing circa 1962.
when I got back from parking the trailer up in the lot, saw the gf (see pic below) standing on the dock desperately holding the bow line to my sinking 14’ Glasspar. Lol

32D08C9A-3104-4B7E-AD4E-1C0D608ED98D.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

speaking of sailing, leaning toward Texas Sailing with a private family class if they will let 5 of us do this (not sure if you can get 6 people on one 23 foot sail boat).  In addition to being close (enough) and at our old marina they have this to offer for sailing instructions:

Certification: Texas Sailing has both private and group instruction for the Basic Keelboat level. Basic Keelboat is twenty-four hours of instruction on a Precision 23. You will learn about parts of the boat, sailing's language and nomenclature, knots, rigging the boat, leaving and returning to the dock, points of sail, safety procedures, sailing a course, maneuvering and securing the boat, motoring, weather and much more. This is a hands-on course with 24 hours on the water learning the skill of sailing.

Texas Sailing is a certifying school. We chose to certify through US Sailing due to the high quality of the organization. In case you are unfamiliar with US Sailing, the organization is the National Governing Body of Sailing. US Sailing instructors as well as school have an arduous testing/certification process and must prove they are both worthy of the US Sailing name, which means you will have professional instructors for your safety and high instruction level. The US Sailing certification is recognized worldwide as the organization is the only National sailing organization. Texas Sailing is one of only 52 schools nationwide able to offer the US Sailing certification.

seems like it would be great for us.  plus they have a fleet of nice boats and the membership price is minimal per month with discounts on charters, so it's pay as you go instead of a hefty monthly amount.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/27/2020 at 6:52 AM, Armybrat said:

That was me over at the Walsh Landing circa 1962.
when I got back from parking the trailer up in the lot, saw the gf (see pic below) standing on the dock desperately holding the bow line to my sinking 14’ Glasspar. Lol

32D08C9A-3104-4B7E-AD4E-1C0D608ED98D.jpeg

Nice gams on that broad. Respect.

CHIEF

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

DO IT!  There is something that power boaters don’t understand.  It is getting the canvas out, and then cutting the engine and letting Mother Nature take over.  It is truly magical.  At least for me.  

I’m doing it so my kids have the upper hand in today’s dating world.  Men who sail are pretty damn sexy at least in my mind. And there’s usually some cash somewhere around them. Swipe left and right maybe my boys will look the part.  That and I need a crew to man that 45 foot cat in BVI when I make the charter.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

DO IT!  There is something that power boaters don’t understand.  It is getting the canvas out, and then cutting the engine and letting Mother Nature take over.  It is truly magical.  At least for me.  

Sailing is about the journey - power is about the destination. Always how we thought about it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My Dad just bought this 1979 Hatteras. We will use her for the great loop (when I can join) and Bahamas. Had to take out the center console and put the lift all the way down to squeeze her onto the dock. Not a permanent solution, but the boat will soon leave home base for quite some time. 

IMG_1124.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That thing is legit!

She's in fantastic condition for a vessel her age. Prior owners put way too much money into the boat that they couldn't get out  (all new cabinetry, davit and new plumbing), and we benefitted greatly from that. No bow thruster, but my dad has his 100 ton license and is old school - so its not an issue. Taking out the 10" plotters and replacing with 16." Apart from regular maintenance, not much else needed to be done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We got back on the boat two months ago. Spent 6 weeks putting her back together and fixing things (new autopilot computer, gps, engines overheating, ...) and then left for the Keys. Spent a few days each in the Everglades, Marathon, Islamorada, and now in Miami. Miami is crazyville for boats. We rolled into our anchorage a few hours before sunset and there was at least 100 power boats from 20 feet up to 150 foot all partying. They left after sunset and we've now got the place mostly to our selves.

IMG_20201028_180721509_HDR.thumb.jpg.06723d1d81c4d380bdfb9437f3d2e5e0.jpg

IMG_20210104_142842548.thumb.jpg.65270aa1f670ff13dc9de7f30feafd25.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Viking said:

We got back on the boat two months ago. Spent 6 weeks putting her back together and fixing things (new autopilot computer, gps, engines overheating, ...) and then left for the Keys. Spent a few days each in the Everglades, Marathon, Islamorada, and now in Miami. Miami is crazyville for boats. We rolled into our anchorage a few hours before sunset and there was at least 100 power boats from 20 feet up to 150 foot all partying. They left after sunset and we've now got the place mostly to our selves.

IMG_20201028_180721509_HDR.thumb.jpg.06723d1d81c4d380bdfb9437f3d2e5e0.jpg

IMG_20210104_142842548.thumb.jpg.65270aa1f670ff13dc9de7f30feafd25.jpg

Miami is INSANE. Two people hit the the seaport bridge on saturday, including one dumbass sailboat that didn't clear it by like 20ft. People running without nav lights, jet skis at night. You probably saw our Hatt if you anchored off KB on Saturday. 

Does anybody in Austin not winterize their boat? A friend just posted a video of them wakeboarding today. The boat stays on a lift in Lake Austin. They are not experienced boat owners. I am truly “asking for a friend”. I don’t winterize my boat because it hangs in a sling in Galveston where it rarely freezes. 

4 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Does anybody in Austin not winterize their boat? A friend just posted a video of them wakeboarding today. The boat stays on a lift in Lake Austin. They are not experienced boat owners. I am truly “asking for a friend”. I don’t winterize my boat because it hangs in a sling in Galveston where it rarely freezes. 

If the boat is in a lift, it has to have a plug for the lift (most aren't hard wired). Put a tarp over the engine, and plug in an electric blanket on low, maybe medium if it is going to be less than 20 degrees for a few days (which is NEVER, in Austin), and cover the engine. There isn't an open flame to ignite gas fumes, if possibly present. Never worry about an outboard, the engine drains naturally, all you need to do is add fuel stabilizer. I would never winterize in Austin.

CHIEF

9 hours ago, longhrnfan said:

My Dad just bought this 1979 Hatteras. We will use her for the great loop (when I can join) and Bahamas. Had to take out the center console and put the lift all the way down to squeeze her onto the dock. Not a permanent solution, but the boat will soon leave home base for quite some time. 

IMG_1124.JPG

Please tell me it has shag carpet, a wet bar, and beanbag chairs. That boat is killer. Would blast the Bee Gees 24/7.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, longhrnfan said:

IMG_1124.JPG

Length?

9 hours ago, CHIEF said:

If the boat is in a lift, it has to have a plug for the lift (most aren't hard wired). Put a tarp over the engine, and plug in an electric blanket on low, maybe medium if it is going to be less than 20 degrees for a few days (which is NEVER, in Austin), and cover the engine. There isn't an open flame to ignite gas fumes, if possibly present. Never worry about an outboard, the engine drains naturally, all you need to do is add fuel stabilizer. I would never winterize in Austin.

CHIEF

I wish someone woulda told me this earlier. Ours is winterized. Previously our marina had a program to keep the boat in good operating condition over the winter so it could be used anytime. 

Edited by troph

On 1/4/2021 at 5:20 PM, longhrnfan said:

Miami is INSANE. Two people hit the the seaport bridge on saturday, including one dumbass sailboat that didn't clear it by like 20ft. People running without nav lights, jet skis at night. You probably saw our Hatt if you anchored off KB on Saturday. 

We got there Sunday night so we missed seeing you. One more Miami special was listening to the drunk captains yelling at each other on 16 as they went home after sunset. 

Next night there was a collision between two boats 3/4 of a mile up wind of us. There were 2 helos and 8-10 boats (coast guard, fl fire and rescue, police) searching the area.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2b42995

All I do to winterize is drain the water off the block and the manifold. Putting the plugs back in is a 2 minute job so it's easy to get back on the water when you want to.

This is all I have ever done and never a problem. If you have a v-drive drain that as well. For as long as I can remember my dad did this to our competition boats when I was a toddler.

On another note please do not rely on a blanket or light bulb. If the power/light goes out your toast of it stays really cold for multiple days.

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

All I do to winterize is drain the water off the block and the manifold. Putting the plugs back in is a 2 minute job so it's easy to get back on the water when you want to.

I promise you they don't know the first thing about doing this.  I'd hate to see them destroy their new six figure ski boat.

On 1/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, troph said:

speaking of sailing, leaning toward Texas Sailing with a private family class if they will let 5 of us do this (not sure if you can get 6 people on one 23 foot sail boat).  In addition to being close (enough) and at our old marina they have this to offer for sailing instructions:

seems like it would be great for us.  plus they have a fleet of nice boats and the membership price is minimal per month with discounts on charters, so it's pay as you go instead of a hefty monthly amount.

TSA seems to fit your wants the best.

AYC is more about being in a club and having somewhere to store your boat. The requirements are very easy to meet but it is something to consider. You have to essentially volunteer to do tasks around the club like planting flowers, clearing some brush etc. Also go out and help with race committee some. It isn't a big deal if you truly want to be a member. They have plenty of folks that don't race and only cruise.  

20 hours ago, utee94 said:

I asked my son why they don't just do this and not put antifreeze in the block and manifolds, years ago. He said because the block galleries and inside of the manifold is just exposed cast iron and will rust. A big flake of rust will come loose and plug up a block gallery and then you are fucked.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I asked my son why they don't just do this and not put antifreeze in the block and manifolds, years ago. He said because the block galleries and inside of the manifold is just exposed cast iron and will rust. A big flake of rust will come loose and plug up a block gallery and then you are fucked.

CHIEF

For sure, could happen.  If I lived somewhere that didn't allow me to boat for 4-6 months at a time, then I'd use the antifreeze.  Since I live in Austin and can get out on the water throughout the winter, I don't worry about it. So far 25 years of winterizing this way and no issues, but I also run it at least once per month even during the winter.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:42 PM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

We just got our first boat this year (super excited!) and we have done something close to this. We have it on a lift on LBJ and have one of these in the engine compartment https://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Engine-Compartment-Heater-Silver/dp/B00MEMRGZE/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2021 at 5:46 PM, Lat22 said:

There are wake boarders and wake surfers out on Lake Austin all through the fall and winter.  In fact, for some, that's the sweet spot.  Traffic is extremely low and water is glass.

Never stops.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:11 PM, Cajun said:

There are wake boarders and wake surfers out on Lake Austin all through the fall and winter.  In fact, for some, that's the sweet spot.  Traffic is extremely low and water is glass.

Never stops.

Checking on construction at our new digs last Saturday and LT near rough hollow / bee creek was without a noticeable ripple in some places.  Would be cold even in a wet suit tho. But the thought did cross my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

Checking on construction at our new digs last Saturday and LT near rough hollow / bee creek was without a noticeable ripple in some places.  Would be cold even in a wet suit tho. But the thought did cross my mind.

Dry suit with sweats underneath. Other than feet, hand and head, the rest of your body stays warm. I’ve ridden in 50 degree water and 48 air temp and was fine. It was worth the glassy water back then.

On 1/5/2021 at 6:31 PM, Viking said:

We got there Sunday night so we missed seeing you. One more Miami special was listening to the drunk captains yelling at each other on 16 as they went home after sunset. 

Next night there was a collision between two boats 3/4 of a mile up wind of us. There were 2 helos and 8-10 boats (coast guard, fl fire and rescue, police) searching the area.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/2b42995

The captains are not only the captains of their vessels, they are the kings of the waterway. Everyone knows best, and no one knows anything. For anyone that ever boats in south florida - be on the DEFENSIVE, or you WILL get hit.