The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Yes.  It.  Does.

One of the first things we "need" to add to our new boat.  Swim platform and cockpit.  Currently fiberglass and "needs" to be some teak, sea dek, sea grass...or some combination thereof.  Anyone have any experience with all that?

I've SeaDeked a few cockpits. I'd highly recommend staying with SeaDek over the imitators, its a way superior product

• Like 1

I never SeaDeked my Nautique, but was on the verge right before I got the MC, which came completely SD'd out.

Aside from just looking a shit-ton better than the stock carpet in my Nautique, the clean up is so much fucking easier.

I doubt I'd consider anything in a Wake Board boat moving forward that wasn't already adorned with that shit.

2 hours ago, troph said:

Seems like sailors and power boaters strongly prefer one hull and the cat owners just laugh. 

Freeman has taken a lot of the laughing away in the offshore CC market. Watch his cats crush on those haulover vids.  And he’s got several models in the 70 mph range now so the old mono speed advantage largely negated.    There’s a 42 slipped across from a friends house and they are beautiful beautiful rides.  Also one of the few that people buy and sell a few years later for what they paid, depending on the current backlog. That’s an exclusive list of sleds that you can do that with.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Freeman has taken a lot of the laughing away in the offshore CC market. Watch his cats crush on those haulover vids.  And he’s got several models in the 70 mph range now so the old mono speed advantage largely negated.    There’s a 42 slipped across from a friends house and they are beautiful beautiful rides.  Also one of the few that people buy and sell a few years later for what they paid, depending on the current backlog. That’s an exclusive list of sleds that you can do that with.  

Build slots are going for 6 figures now. I’ve seen some year old boats selling for well over cost because they are something like 3-4 years out on builds. The cat market has really taken off in the offshore power boat category the last few years, but man they are expensive and you’re talking about close to a one trick pony in the big ones. They are hardcore fishing/offshore machines. However, the Calcutta 263 would be awesome for where I am.

47 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

that's crazy.

@conVINCEd

I'm a member of another boat forum and this just popped up.  I copied the pertinent parts.  Might be some good info for you, just FYI...

QUESTION:

Can anyone recommend a great broker in or around SC and NC?   It seems like we are never going to find a boat on our own.  We’ve looked at a few but they have all been the seller’s broker.

ANSWERS:

Tom Gatea - Just bought ours through him.

Chris Lombardi

Michael Martin

Curtis Stokes - Best I ever worked with.

Lee Scheele - We did the same thing chased ads called everywhere etc. finally I found a broker. Had knowledge of every boat I had called about. Detailed knowledge! He worked hard and got us the boat we wanted. He is not in the Carolinas but he knows what’s out there better than anyone I have run into. 239-699-6434

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

And he’s got several models in the 70 mph range 

This is mind boggling to me.

I remember, as a kid, riding along in my uncle's pal's jet boat out on Medina Lake around 80mph.  Those Fruit of the Looms were never worn again, I can tell you that.

70 mph in a CC?  Holy Jeebus!

Edited by Cajun

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s a slightly above average bay boat these days, especially on big water bays where pad v’s dominate.  But yeah strap quad 400/450s on them and blast off to the sword grounds and back for supper. 

I'm just used to Wake boats.   Low riders of the lake.

"The lower the slower ESE!"

I need to commission some dude from Acuna to paint something like this on each side of the hull.  Would earn mad San Antonio cred --

iu.jpeg

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Horns99 said:

He’s headed towards your house, pic is right across from Angel Bay. Come on Troph, you should know that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just described that exact spot? Coming toward my place rough hollow and that redic ridge of big homes there at 12 o’clock (might still be slightly obscured), bee creek at 1-2 o’clock.  

On 2/21/2021 at 11:03 AM, G650 said:

I've SeaDeked a few cockpits. I'd highly recommend staying with SeaDek over the imitators, its a way superior product

Still worth the premium if you were using it inside hatches/lockers?   I understand if it's something you are walking on.  @Sbbruin how is the stuff you put in holding up?  My biggest concerns is stain resistance; where I'm putting it will be under fishing gear/anchor/generally wet areas. 

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Still worth the premium if you were using it inside hatches/lockers?   I understand if it's something you are walking on.  @Sbbruin how is the stuff you put in holding up?  My biggest concerns is stain resistance; where I'm putting it will be under fishing gear/anchor/generally wet areas. 

Eh, probably marginal, but with such a small area I'm not sure the incremental cost makes using something else worthwhile?

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I didn't end up putting it in.  I saw it installed on another boat and it just had a cheap look to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That can't be more than a 30 footer (boat).  That'll get tossed around like a cork.  Displacement is key in that kind of stuff.

he basically admits he's an idoit (probably an oklahoma freakshow) but that the need for adrenaline got the best of him.  the camera can't do the storm justice.  you really have to pay attention to the waves and how high they are and really focus on the boat movement.  if you just casually watch it, it's like yeah that's bad.  if you focus on it, damn the guy should be dead and his boat should be at the bottom of the north sea.

20 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I didn't end up putting it in.  I saw it installed on another boat and it just had a cheap look to it.

The Sea Dek brand stuff or just that fake teak foam stuff in general?  Mrs Landomatic is trying to convince me that all that fake teak foam stuff looks cheap (regardless of brand, color, etc) and is thinking we need to get it all done with real teak.  I haven't priced any of it yet, but assuming the real teak is going to be stupid expensive comparatively (not to mention higher maintenance and all that crap), I'm hopeful there is a faux teak product on the market (probably Sea Dek brand) that doesn't?

I tried doing a walk around the docks with her, thinking some foam decking would jump out and look nice where she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and real teak on some of the more expensive boats.  Well, that backfired.  She could spot the difference a mile away and most of the nicest boats had real teak.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

The Sea Dek brand stuff or just that fake teak foam stuff in general?  Mrs Landomatic is trying to convince me that all that fake teak foam stuff looks cheap (regardless of brand, color, etc) and is thinking we need to get it all done with real teak.  I haven't priced any of it yet, but assuming the real teak is going to be stupid expensive comparatively (not to mention higher maintenance and all that crap), I'm hopeful there is a faux teak product on the market (probably Sea Dek brand) that doesn't?

I tried doing a walk around the docks with her, thinking some foam decking would jump out and look nice where she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and real teak on some of the more expensive boats.  Well, that backfired.  She could spot the difference a mile away and most of the nicest boats had real teak.

The fake foam stuff.  But there are a lot of good options.  PlasTeak is supposedly quality stuff.  Real teak has a major maintenance factor.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You’ll need to let it gray or oil it at least 2x per year. It’s a beat down. I like weathered for home applications, but for whatever reason I like the oiled look for boats.  The fake stuff will always have the color.  I bet the cost to oil 2x a year is not insignificant, or a full weekend (or more) if you do it yourself.  My teak was a swim platform and a small walk way, it took a half day to oil.  Oiled teak looks far superior no doubt. 

Edited by troph

Not a teak fan depending on use, the maintenance on teak that is in contact with water or sits in the sun is more than I want to deal with. If you let it gray, you lose the look of having teak. I think if it was an interior application without direct sun, I would probably reconsider that stance.