The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

14 minutes ago, troph said:

Depends on her matrix score (hot/crazy). Lando knows what’s best he’s not a noob.  

I walked right into that.  I get the impression that the place I plan on docking my boat has high school/college kids running around pumping gas and whatnot looking to make some extra money.  It also seems to be a busier place than a lot of marinas at Texas lakes.  I’m basing that on a small sample size, so perhaps I am misinterpreting the situation, but it would seem to me that if I offered one of these kids a couple hundred bucks to do some menial labor I would probably find a taker.  I also gashed my typing thumb yesterday, so I apologize for any typos, the bandage is fucking with my typing and I’m tired of mking corrections.

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I walked right into that.  I get the impression that the place I plan on docking my boat has high school/college kids running around pumping gas and whatnot looking to make some extra money.  It also seems to be a busier place than a lot of marinas at Texas lakes.  I’m basing that on a small sample size, so perhaps I am misinterpreting the situation, but it would seem to me that if I offered one of these kids a couple hundred bucks to do some menial labor I would probably find a taker.  I also gashed my typing thumb yesterday, so I apologize for any typos, the bandage is fucking with my typing and I’m tired of mking corrections.

yeah at the lake marinas that's totally possible.  cost us $20 to cover our boat for example.

29 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

So, how much to oil all of the new teak on Lando’s boat?

shit man I dunno.  it's 4-5 steps over what 100 sq ft? probably a few hundred bucks each time?  assuming the marina would let you do a side deal.  the marina might do it for you with the same kids, probably $350-500?  I dunno.  you do have the boat owner tax plus the big boat owner tax.

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

shit man I dunno.  it's 4-5 steps over what 100 sq ft? probably a few hundred bucks each time?  assuming the marina would let you do a side deal.  the marina might do it for you with the same kids, probably $350-500?  I dunno.  you do have the boat owner tax plus the big boat owner tax so it would be slightly out of line I'd think.  maybe that's too high.  I really wouldn't know.  I'd pay $200 pretty easily.  at $250 I start to think maybe I should break my back and do it.  at $350-500 I start to think I can do it in an hour or two (crazy) and that's approaching lawyer rates so it's my job to do.

Lando’s been trying to spend my money, I’m just trying to spend his by assuming the full teak upgrade.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Haha 1

Just now, conVINCEd said:

Lando’s been trying to spend my money, I’m just trying to spend his.

I deleted my rambling but since you quoted it an you want to spend his money, my son may be a marina-rat this summer.  I'll ask him, I bet he will want more than me.  I'll do it for real lawyer rates.  it's at least 6 hours so let's call it $3000 and I'll make sure it's done right.  sign here x_________________.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The Sea Dek brand stuff or just that fake teak foam stuff in general?  Mrs Landomatic is trying to convince me that all that fake teak foam stuff looks cheap (regardless of brand, color, etc) and is thinking we need to get it all done with real teak.  I haven't priced any of it yet, but assuming the real teak is going to be stupid expensive comparatively (not to mention higher maintenance and all that crap), I'm hopeful there is a faux teak product on the market (probably Sea Dek brand) that doesn't?
I tried doing a walk around the docks with her, thinking some foam decking would jump out and look nice where she wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and real teak on some of the more expensive boats.  Well, that backfired.  She could spot the difference a mile away and most of the nicest boats had real teak.

Oh hai.
d23335f2fb9b84628d9bfe1f8617a235.jpg
d92e23d140ee9558b1af8d6aa244dd6f.jpg

Cest la Vie (and it’s current iterations) are amazing boats with a pretty amazing story wrt ACY. Funny, it’s probably the cheapest vessel they own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, troph said:

Depends on her matrix score (hot/crazy). Lando knows what’s best he’s not a noob.  

Yeah, of course she's very hot aaaaand not that crazy.  Lando knows...trust me, Lando knows.

And BTW, I hate all of you.  Every.  Single.  One of you.

But in all seriousness, we should do a surly meet and greet at the boat.

Who's with me?

We're goin' streaking, through the quad, into the gymnasium

11 hours ago, troph said:

I deleted my rambling but since you quoted it an you want to spend his money, my son may be a marina-rat this summer.  I'll ask him, I bet he will want more than me.  I'll do it for real lawyer rates.  it's at least 6 hours so let's call it $3000 and I'll make sure it's done right.  sign here x_________________.

Here ya go...

782058252_FuckOffTroph.thumb.png.7043d5eea76ae007144a82a887df9d06.png

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh hai.

Cest la Vie (and it’s current iterations) are amazing boats with a pretty amazing story wrt ACY. Funny, it’s probably the cheapest vessel they own.

So, is the flooring synthetic and the rest of it not?  Or what's going on here?

Side story...almost named our boat c'est si bon...so, this hits close to home.  Kinda

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

So, is the flooring synthetic and the rest of it not?  Or what's going on here?

Side story...almost named our boat c'est si bon...so, this hits close to home.  Kinda

No I don’t believe there is anything synthetic on it.   It’s all real, because that’s what the high end is.   But when you are burning 9k HP worth of diesel to chase a fish around, and aren’t even thinking of the cost, then you probably aren’t doing your own maintenance. 

eta: a friend of mine grew up with one of the Chouest kids.  They had chefs in the house that would make them food at 0230 when they got home from partying and shit.  They aren’t taking care of the teak.  I said probably aren’t above. I meant absolutely not. 

Edited by fattyflattie

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

No I don’t believe there is anything synthetic on it.   It’s all real, because that’s what the high end is.   But when you are burning 9k HP worth of diesel to chase a fish around, and aren’t even thinking of the cost, then you probably aren’t doing your own maintenance. 

eta: a friend of mine grew up with one of the Chouest kids.  They had chefs in the house that would make them food at 0230 when they got home from partying and shit.  They aren’t taking care of the teak.  I said probably aren’t above. I meant absolutely not. 

Not for nothing, but the ECO office in Cutoff is maybe the most randomly out of place building in the world. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Crazy they went from grandpas shrimp boat running parts to what it is now (or has been for last 20 years).  American dream. 

How much of the family still lives in that big plantation home in Cutoff? We were selling them some IT gear for that big training lab out behind the office, and the guy we were working with told us "the family still lives here!"

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

How much of the family still lives in that big plantation home in Cutoff? We were selling them some IT gear for that big training lab out behind the office, and the guy we were working with told us "the family still lives here!"

Been years since I’ve heard the story but that was still the place when my buddy was running with them.  This would have been his late high school/college years.  He was also a strike it rich (not nearly that rich tho) 2-3rd gen shitheel.   

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh hai.

That real teak is absolutely beautiful, but I'll bet the novelty of that beauty wears off with upkeep.  That being said, ballers who can afford a rig like the first one pictured can also afford for some other mf'er to have to deal with keeping that teak looking like that, so...

To me, the SeaDek stuff is there for utility, not beauty.  Fishing boat (I'm talking real, blue collar, fishing boat), wakeboard boat, etc.  Hell yeah, that's the stuff.  Yachts and fancy schmancy cabin cruisers, go with the real stuff and have Ruprecht handle the rub downs.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

That real teak is absolutely beautiful, but I'll bet the novelty of that beauty wears off with upkeep.  That being said, ballers who can afford a rig like the first one pictured can also afford for some other mf'er to have to deal with keeping that teak looking like that, so...

Story is ACY wouldn’t build him a 90’, so they purchased ACY. And built a 90’. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

shiiiit...that boat looks like a million bucks when the owner shows up...that's all they ever see. They just stroke the check to the boat account and the captain deals with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That’s too much teak.  And for the big nice boats I’m not sure - I mean I like it but damn that’s a lot of area to cover. Looks gorgeous oiled or wet (that’s what he said) but gray nah. I might go fake to increase usage and enjoyment and decrease maintenance and work. It’s just prolly not worth it. 

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I don't mind the teak covering boards and cockpit, but I'm not a fan of the varnished wood on the back of the salon and seating area or the transom. It's just not my style. 

Same. Only one I can recall that I did like in person was king George’s Day Money. Other than that I’m not huge into the teak transom.  But these are problems I don’t have...I mean I’d take a big ass Winter if someone is just giving theirs away :) 

• Hook 'Em 1

Can we please get back to licking caviar off my balls?  Please?  Jeezus!

Caviar, flowers and champagne, that fine boat of yours gets more expensive by the minute.

Always been a huge Carver fan. Without a doubt the best boat I’ve ever been on. Congrats on the purchase.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 3:37 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

I like this one a lot. 

Viking.jpg

Anytime I've been out in deep water, no matter whether if it has been Cabo, Hawaii, the Caribbean, or GOM, if a Viking comes within view I can't take my eyes off of it.  

Something about 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Anybody got any rubbing compound?

tenor.gif?itemid=16080834&f=1&nofb=1

This is my fear of potentially being a first time boat owner and buying something bigger.  Obviously not that big, but I’m gonna try to hire a retired captain or something like that to hang out with me for a month and help me avoid ending up on youtube.

^^Very wise.  Out on open water I have no problem taking the controls on one of those big daddies, but bringing it into dock?  Hell no.

I'm still getting used to the difference between putting my old Nautique and this new MC on the trailer.

Classic bow vs pickle fork really makes a much bigger difference than I had anticipated.

12 minutes ago, Cajun said:

^^Very wise.  Out on open water I have no problem taking the controls on one of those big daddies, but bringing it into dock?  Hell no.

I'm still getting used to the difference between putting my old Nautique and this new MC on the trailer.

Classic bow vs pickle fork really makes a much bigger difference than I had anticipated.

There are classes available, the Coast Guard does some of them, but knowing what I know about myself, I do better with 1-on-1 instruction.  Do I need to take the formal classes for insurance purposes?  I have an insurance background but never dealt with offshore boats.  I would imagine there is a little more scrutiny there versus lake boats.  Learning a lot leads to more questions.

• Hook 'Em 1