The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

We have a few framed and hanging on the wall. One for Cape Henry here in Virginia Beach, and one for Mobjack Bay up in Gloucester.

I have quite a few for the Straits of Florida. If anyone ever wants one for decorating purposes I would be happy to donate.

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Ended up watching this last night.  Got sucked in and watched to the end.  Pretty awesome.  I was only vaguely familiar with the story.

Definitely pretty cool. I remember following along when they sailed back in the day, you got like monthly updates in the sailing rags, and a bit here and there on ESPN. Different times!

@troph@Cajun @Brew and any of the other skiers out there im missing.  Dozens of pages back there was reference to a type of ski/wake board for beginners. I’ve tried searching like crazy but cannot find. It could be somewhat configured as the kid grew into it. Zap or taz or something   My internet sleuthing has come up empty. Do any of y’all remember?    Want to get the oldest going this summer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@troph@Cajun @Brew and any of the other skiers out there im missing.  Dozens of pages back there was reference to a type of ski/wake board for beginners. I’ve tried searching like crazy but cannot find. It could be somewhat configured as the kid grew into it. Zap or taz or something   My internet sleuthing has come up empty. Do any of y’all remember?    Want to get the oldest going this summer. 

I think the Zup is what you are thinking about?  https://zup.com/pages/towables-collection-updated

I'm in the market for one of these pretty soon too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Finally got to see my new boat in person yesterday.  Have to say, I'm actually more impressed than I thought I'd be.  Online pictures really didn't do it justice.  The fit and finish is just impeccable everywhere and everything feels huge and well-made and in the right place.  Over the moon excited.  I guess we're doing this...this whole boating thing.

8yUqWr.jpg

Did it come with one of these? Because you definitely need one. 

captains+hat+silo.jpg?format=2500w

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Finally got to see my new boat in person yesterday.  Have to say, I'm actually more impressed than I thought I'd be.  Online pictures really didn't do it justice.  The fit and finish is just impeccable everywhere and everything feels huge and well-made and in the right place.  Over the moon excited.  I guess we're doing this...this whole boating thing.

8yUqWr.jpg

What lake are you on again? 

14 hours ago, Landomatic said:

8yUqWr.jpg

I can see it now

51001269598_bca6440286_z.jpg

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2021 at 8:48 AM, G650 said:

This has been in the works for a very long time. It's essentially impossible to get a paper chart even today, they used to be bought at any chandlery. The only time we carry them is if it's in the race requirements.

In the size boats you are looking at, you will have a dedicated chartplotter, and there are several good backups fro mhandheld GPS to your phone loaded with Navionics (which is pretty much the main go to these days)

I guess a chart plotter, an iPad and a phone/handheld gps is redundant enough - I kinda wanted to be more old school with big paper charts and plexiglass and red wax pencils with my sons keeping score. Oh well.

29 minutes ago, troph said:

I guess a chart plotter, an iPad and a phone/handheld gps is redundant enough - I kinda wanted to be more old school with big paper charts and plexiglass and red wax pencils with my sons keeping score. Oh well.

Oh for sure. You can still get the files and have them printed out at a local printer, that isn't going away.

12 minutes ago, G650 said:

Oh for sure. You can still get the files and have them printed out at a local printer, that isn't going away.

nice. 

and I'm sad I'm not sailing this weekend.  super bummed.  would be a bad idea anyway, gusts supposed to hit 25-30 mph today and tomorrow.  might have to get the surf boat ready instead.

Edited by troph

We're doing a reasonably socially distant trip this weekend, just staying in Long Beach and getting moorings at White Island.  3 boats for 6 people (Cabo 48, my Catalina 36, and my newbie friend's Catalina 30).  I'm gonna be solo on mine.  Haven't done these moorings before, but should be fun.

http://belmontmoorings.com/

8yUqWr.jpg
Man I'm in awe. I can't even fathom the amount of muff that'll climb onboard each sandbar session.

Serious question: how are you going to keep the sunscreen off of the upholstery?

17 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Man I'm in awe. I can't even fathom the amount of muff that'll climb onboard each sandbar session.

Serious question: how are you going to keep the sunscreen off of the upholstery?

Sunscreen?

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

This weekend was great and capped it off in style. Saturday was some work around the house and hood capped off with an outdoor party with the neighbors (extremely distanced). This morning I got our fishing gear dialed in and took the kids fishing. Youngest caught a baby bass but both kids had fun. Oldest tapped out for the evening sail. Youngest slammed a beer, crushed the empty on his head and brought the fucking heat (ok maybe not but he is a trooper).
My step dad has been in icu in a epically induced coma so I took my mom and my youngest out sailing, he drove damn near the whole time. Life is hard sometimes, but shit, no complaints on days like today.75c18f32cfa23fb7e39d5a8dffb59c7b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

I've been fishing for the first time in a month or so getting ready for the spawn and my boat keeps losing prime after I fish a spot for a while.  I prime it back up and as long as I get up on plane pretty quick it runs just fine, but if I idle for a while it will stall out and I'll have to prime again.  A quick google search says I've probably got a leak somewhere in my fuel line, but I replaced the whole thing early last year.  Any other ideas if I can't find a kink or something else constricting fuel flow?  I run ethanol free gas and always put in Stabil too just to be safe, so I don't think it's a bad gas issue.

My motor is a 2006 Mercury 225 2 stroke.

Aside from the Opti-bomb, I’d just check the bulb again.  Sounds like the check is letting air past.   When I studied it awhile back and replaced mine, OMC/Bombarider bulb was far and away best replacement. Iirc, it was the only one on the market worth a shit, and all the installation/rigging guys on THT would use them regardless of what brand they were rigging.  Probably cheapest and easiest thing to use. If that fails the new 300R would be nice replacement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the info. I looked closer at the bulb and noticed a tiny bit of gas would come out of one of the connections when I squeezed it. I can’t tell if it’s a bunk clamp or if the hose is split, but I’ll replace it. 

I don’t think I’ll be re-powering this old war wagon! I think she was really something back in ‘96 tho. (Not ‘06, I misspoke) She gets me around this little lake way faster than I need to go. 

0B307F6B-566A-4218-ADCF-FCF34CDCEF7C.jpeg