The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

14 hours ago, davidg said:

I’d bet he had the trailer backed in so far that it was floating until he pulled it out of the water.  That move is pretty much standard boat ramp fuckup video fodder.  

Don't forget the ladder hanging down for launch.  That's always a crowd pleaser.

• Like 1

My oldest daughter has been in England for the last 6 months and begs me to send sunset pics and videos since, "We never see the sun here!"

Last night looked like it'd be a real good chance to get the sun setting over a calm lake (reflections), so I shut her down, drifted, put on some Floyd and got this for her.  Nice, unexpected bonus starting about the 4:36 mark just left of center screen.  Thought some of you guys would dig it the most --

Edited by Cajun
Actually, you can see him at around the 2:20ish mark if you've got good eyes.
  • Like 2

Anybody heard of the Florida Skiff challenge?   Looks like a boat race all the way around Florida in 18’/70hp skiff raising awareness for an org working to clean Florida waterways.

Hells Bay, Yellowfin, Key West and Seapro.

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/skiff-challenge/

Live tracker here  http://captainsforcleanwater.org/skiff-challenge/map-tracker/

They left Pensacola this morning and most boats are east of Apalachicola in open water right now.  

Yea this is the 4th year, I believe. Hell's Bay has won two of the three previous races. Yellowfin blew everyone away last time, but it seems like HB is back in the lead this year. I wish some other manufacturers would join...Notably Chittum and East Cape, but both of them claim the reason they won't do it is "political" with Captains for Clean Water. Interesting is that HB switched from a 70HP Yamaha to a 60HP Suzuki this year, and are running a prototype version of the Biscayne hull (100% Carbon Fiber). Whatever they did seems to be working because they are kicking ass. Still anyone's race though. All it will take is a sheared jackplate bolt or broken trim tab to sideline a boat for an extended period of time. I believe Key West had to replace a tab actuator overnight. 

Well, CHIEF Jr. towed his first Mastercraft with a busted block yesterday. He said it was a sight to behold. Water coming out everywhere. It took two 1500 gph bilge pumps to keep it afloat. How can someone neglect to winterize a $100k boat. 

CHIEF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Wonder if the small Zuks have the same high rev limit as the big ones?  Those extra 3-400 revs on top end can certainly help in this scenario.  

could be. It's also 40 lbs lighter than the Yamaha. Weight distribution on these little skiffs can make a big difference. Especially one that's probably custom built and rigged like this one. I wonder if they went with a smaller fuel tank for weight savings, so they went with a 60 for fuel savings? 

Marco Island to Key West on 22gal of fuel is not something I'm sure I'd be comfy with.  

I guess that's why the teams are going to KW and not arcing through Florida Bay. 

Actually it looks like Team Key West is maybe going to skip the real life Key West. 

Edited by bigshark88

6 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Marco Island to Key West on 22gal of fuel is not something I'm sure I'd be comfy with.  

I guess that's why the teams are going to KW and not arcing through Florida Bay. 

Actually it looks like Team Key West is maybe going to skip the real life Key West. 

They have to go around Key West. HB and Yellowfin took a straight shot south from Marco. Sea Pro and Key West look to be sticking close to land. This is where Yellowfin smoked everyone last year. They took the straight shot and everyone else took the nearshore route. Looks like HB was on to them this year. 

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

They have to go around Key West. HB and Yellowfin took a straight shot south from Marco. Sea Pro and Key West look to be sticking close to land. This is where Yellowfin smoked everyone last year. They took the straight shot and everyone else took the nearshore route. Looks like HB was on to them this year. 

Sea Pro and Key West are the manufacturers I assume?  Surprised a Sea Pro can even make it through the entire route. 2 of these are not like the others.  I guess it’s all for the good cause but to have one of the best skiffs of all time, next to a good co that built a skiff, and then the other two just seems eclectic. 

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sea Pro and Key West are the manufacturers I assume?  Surprised a Sea Pro can even make it through the entire route. 2 of these are not like the others.  I guess it’s all for the good cause but to have one of the best skiffs of all time, next to a good co that built a skiff, and then the other two just seems eclectic. 

well, Sea Pro turned back and has been sitting in Everglade City most of the morning. Their chase crew turned back and is in EC now as well. I guess they broke something big. With the seas they were in last night they may have done something serious, like delaminate the deck from the hull or something. 

Sea Pro is officially out. They lost the engine cowling in the heavy seas and the motor ate some salt water. It was still running, but they weren't confidant in the powerhead running overnight in open water. 

Also, I stand corrected on team HB. They are running a Zuke 70, not a 60. 

Windy as hell. No sunshine. Fish pissed and not biting. 

Still a great day on the water, boat ran perfectly. 2+yr fuel system gremlin finally gone!!! (After replacing every piece of it and still having the problem intermittently last time out!!).

51105156492_13c2fc103c_b.jpg

51105728301_8e64ce40b1_b.jpg

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Great day to sail!! J-105 racing boat... close hauled at maybe tighter than 30 degrees? Fun boat. Very relaxing - different instructor too. Whole fam came out.  Going on the Benny 343 after lunch. Word. #FAAFO

D62F7ABA-9027-4502-8D56-660AD0F54AD9.jpeg

2EAB37B7-11FA-40E4-984F-9E20F3A47257.jpeg

81C8B7B8-4FBB-4CB5-81FD-424640F931D0.jpeg

DEDD7C10-16BF-4CFC-A5C8-F852EBFDE453.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, troph said:

Splain. Please.

You do you. I think you should get a 24. 😈   I would decide cruise or race. If you want to come to the dark side, I will skipper for you and get you rolling that direction. 105 is just not fitting imo. Family cruiser....go smaller/comfier...  My completely selfish pick is to buy a j80 or better yet j70 and come race with us. I will bring the drinks and get you dialed into the culture of degenerates. Otherwise, go mainstream benateau or hunter and enjoy life.  

Let's go race a club series on my boat and that may help steer you. 

Great day to sail!! J-105 racing boat... close hauled at maybe tighter than 30 degrees? Fun boat. Very relaxing - different instructor too. Whole fam came out.  Going on the Benny 343 after lunch. Word. #FAAFO

D62F7ABA-9027-4502-8D56-660AD0F54AD9.thumb.jpeg.29530ddde5c1f5eadc07b6b729236ad8.jpeg
2EAB37B7-11FA-40E4-984F-9E20F3A47257.thumb.jpeg.cf9c3bcf17223a4888607db76e949291.jpeg
81C8B7B8-4FBB-4CB5-81FD-424640F931D0.thumb.jpeg.e2c971e1e66d765010e038c3e22a8976.jpeg

DEDD7C10-16BF-4CFC-A5C8-F852EBFDE453.thumb.jpeg.fdc348f4ef4229ab344972fb6798aab2.jpeg

Outstanding. Not likely tighter than 30 degrees unless you have one of those rigid AC mains. But those look like happy kids . Sailing takes me away to where I heard it could be...
  • Hook 'Em 1

So these guys were obviously fishing and drinking all day. The f-bombs and slurring shit-talking coming from that boat are top notch. The one guy has a harsh Boston accent, and I think a Sox hat. But all 3 are so hammered. They were casting into the fairway hoping to catch fish. The only thing you'll catch in San Pedro is some bottom dwelling suction eel. Oh and CRANKING Bon Jovi.
081c24258d12733a5fc00e6607ced999.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I am dead serious @troph, come race with me and decide. You may be hooked or not. Either way, it will give you another data point.  I would love if we got another degenerate hooked into the infinite loop of spending more money to go faster than the next asshole.. 

I’ll fly with ya. /viper 

ya I’m serious. 

these are club boats, I’m not buying anything other than maybe going fractional on a 27-30 foot cruiser so we can easily charter where the water is turquoise. The j-105 was just available. It was much more adept than the Benny. 

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So these guys were obviously fishing and drinking all day. The f-bombs and slurring shit-talking coming from that boat are top notch. The one guy has a harsh Boston accent, and I think a Sox hat. But all 3 are so hammered. They were casting into the fairway hoping to catch fish. The only thing you'll catch in San Pedro is some bottom dwelling suction eel. Oh and CRANKING Bon Jovi.
081c24258d12733a5fc00e6607ced999.jpg

We’ve all been there.  Well I haven’t but I know you all have.

Got the murder hornet out today for the first time this year. Was worried it wouldn’t start and/or have leaks or problems due to the freeze but it fired right up and ran like a champ. 

power steering on the FJ went out on the way to the lake. Made putting the boat in the water a huge pain in the ass, on top of not being completely out of practice backing it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Got the murder hornet out today for the first time this year. Was worried it wouldn’t start and/or have leaks or problems due to the freeze but it fired right up and ran like a champ. 

power steering on the FJ went out on the way to the lake. Made putting the boat in the water a huge pain in the ass, on top of not being completely out of practice backing it up. 
Should have gotten the Landcruiser.

Wake boat prices are past the point of stupid right now. At this rate I’m going to sit out another year or do something stupid like buy a new one. I’ve seen piles of ‘05-‘07 models in the $50k range. Damn boats were cheaper than that new.

8 hours ago, Brew said:

Wake boat prices are past the point of stupid right now. At this rate I’m going to sit out another year or do something stupid like buy a new one. I’ve seen piles of ‘05-‘07 models in the $50k range. Damn boats were cheaper than that new.

That’s crazy.  Life’s too short to wait another year, stop acting like your profession and act like mine. Screw it, just buy it and enjoy it. Or not. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

Definitely seemed tighter than 45 degrees... but what the heck do I know ? 

Without getting too far into geometry, you are feeling apparent wind angle. As you are moving forward, the wind will feel like it's at a tighter angle.

The easiest way to conceptualize it is to think of standing still in 5 knots of breeze, it will feel like five knots. If you are moving forward at 5 knots, it will feel like 10 knots. That is apparent wind speed. To get angle, it takes a bit of trigonometry, but you get the picture.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Without getting too far into geometry, you are feeling apparent wind angle. As you are moving forward, the wind will feel like it's at a tighter angle.

The easiest way to conceptualize it is to think of standing still in 5 knots of breeze, it will feel like five knots. If you are moving forward at 5 knots, it will feel like 10 knots. That is apparent wind speed. To get angle, it takes a bit of trigonometry, but you get the picture.

So what’s the tightest angle a ailing boat can go? With dead into the wind as 0 degrees.

Edited by troph

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Saw this guy on the Brazos yesterday. Music booming, wake boarder it tow. Looked like a hell of a party and something I'd have given my left nut to be doing when I was in my 30's. 

DSC_6796.thumb.jpg.02f5bc54df79c7b8e7c44024c0c228dc.jpg

Tin Top? Hamm's Creek?

CHIEF

5 hours ago, troph said:

So what’s the tightest angle a ailing boat can go? With dead into the wind as 0 degrees.

It varies a lot. Cruising boats usually are in the upper 40s TWA. Old race boats are in the low 40s, modern ones get way up in the 30s. For instance our sheeting angle on our jib is about 4 degrees off the centerline of the boat, so pretty tight angles. We sail between 27 and 30 TWA upwind depending on conditions.

You generally sail to apparent wind angle (AWA) in modern boats as it changes more rapidly than TWA with speed and pressure differences.

Edited by G650
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, G650 said:

It varies a lot. Cruising boats usually are in the upper 40s TWA. Old race boats are in the low 40s, modern ones get way up in the 30s. For instance our sheeting angle on our jib is about 4 degrees off the centerline of the boat, so pretty tight angles. We sail between 27 and 30 TWA upwind depending on conditions.

You generally sail to apparent wind angle (AWA) in modern boats as it changes more rapidly than TWA with speed and pressure differences.

Great info thanks! I noticed a difference between the two yesterday for sure.  Taking the little 22 out on our own BY OURSELVES here in a few minutes.  

Yeah this is why I dont sail. It’s too complicated. I need big engines.

I just put the hammer down.
  • Like 3

So amazing. So crazy awesome. I had no idea how to do this a month ago. Now I’m sailing. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! 

9EE12930-54E6-42B4-8AFA-8B6F74E383E4.thumb.jpeg.07e62a89d6446086d915406e8f8d3fa5.jpeg

It’s really addicting. I’m going to Pensacola in a couple of weeks to practice sailing a catamaran in preparation for my sailing trip in the Virgin Islands in July. I’ve only sailed monohulls so I’m excited. We are sailing 2 days. I hope we have weather that cooperates.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:22 PM, Handcruser said:

Yeah this is why I dont sail. It’s too complicated. I need big engines.

I just put the hammer down.

Yep this is me too.  I love a sailboat.  I respect people who run them.  Hell I’m even probably somewhat mesmerized by them if I’m being honest.  I just wouldn’t ever want one of my own. Just seems like an awful lot of work and I’m there to relax.

15 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yep this is me too.  I love a sailboat.  I respect people who run them.  Hell I’m even probably somewhat mesmerized by them if I’m being honest.  I just wouldn’t ever want one of my own. Just seems like an awful lot of work and I’m there to relax.

I promise you there's few things more relaxing on the water than sailing along at 5-7kts in a 10-15kt wind. Just heaven. I almost never give up the helm seat on our boat because I can sit there for hours and hours just enjoying the ride.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1