The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Goddamn rightr you are

hey, and I checked the time on my yacht master "time piece" excessively yesterday.  first day with that behind the helm too.  felt like a zen master and a baller at the same time.  hahaha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Few drone shots from Canyon last weekend.  Trying to help w/the power boat jones for some of you a-holes...

50CFFA74-147E-4ADC-807E-BAEDD032C32C.jpeg

53E7FB48-B2C1-4263-9CB0-C9A68713ABBA.jpeg

C3B4E444-0213-4EB0-AAF5-4784E51AD464_1_201_a.jpeg

nice.  still haven't gotten the courage to send up the drone over the lake yet.  did you use the auto tracking for those shots?

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m coming in blind and ignorant, not sure which is better.

Blind and ignorant is much better than knowing what prices of most models were 24 months ago. I’m seeing boats I’ve owned 5-10 years ago selling for 25%+ more than what I bought and sold for back then. I bought and sold an ‘07 Nautique 220 for low $40’s in probably 2012-2013, the ones out there now are priced upper $40’s, low $50’s. The damn thing sold new for upper $50’s 15 years ago. I called a guy about an ‘06 MC X30 with 800 hours and he wouldn’t budge from $52k. He’ll probably get it and someone will have a $30k boat when the market craters. Insanity.

• Like 1

The vehicle, housing, and boat markets are all borked right now. 2-3 yo 3/4-ton with 70k miles for 5k less than what you paid new? No bro.    Several neighbors listing houses for 50-70% more than anyone should be giving - not in Austin, not in the loop, in fucking West Houston exurbs.  Friend of friend did buy a small sport fisher the other day for half of list, but he only really got a decent deal. 

I need help with the electrical layout of my 1992 (yes, it’s that old) Bass Tracker. I need to replace everything that’s electrical EXCEPT the engine components. So, dash gages, trolling motor, bilge, lights...

I have found them online, but I was hoping there was a for dummies one. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

I need help with the electrical layout of my 1992 (yes, it’s that old) Bass Tracker. I need to replace everything that’s electrical EXCEPT the engine components. So, dash gages, trolling motor, bilge, lights...

I have found them online, but I was hoping there was a for dummies one. Thoughts?

Going to be hard to wakeboard behind that thing, but where there is a will there is a way.

Electrical is not my area. It generally just involves a checkbook from my experience.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You guys are trying to talk me out of buying a boat.

I’m pretty sure we tried talking you into buying two. The boat market you are looking in isn’t as inflated as the wakeboat market. Pricing has been pretty consistent as the demand is different.

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

I’m pretty sure we tried talking you into buying two. The boat market you are looking in isn’t as inflated as the wakeboat market. Pricing has been pretty consistent as the demand is different.

Yes you did.  Good to know.  My historical pricing information goes back about 4 months.  Is there a MLS for boats where I can look at prices over a span of a couple of years?

Going to be hard to wakeboard behind that thing, but where there is a will there is a way.
Electrical is not my area. It generally just involves a checkbook from my experience.

Considering I quit trying to flip years ago, I can ride behind just about anything and carve around. I can also drink a beer while riding.

13 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I’ve completely re-wired several boats.  What is it you are looking for exactly?  

16 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

There is a ton of stuff online for reference on wiring a boat.   

Are you going to shit can everything on the boat and start from scratch?  How big of an engine and are the gauges specific to the outboard?  Do you need/want a new switch panel on the console?  For a Tracker I would expect you would have 1 battery for engine and starting and 1 or two batteries for the trolling motor.  

The diagram below is pretty typical for a single start and a separate house battery.  With the switch, you can use the house battery to start the boat if the start battery dies.  This is pretty much how my boat is set up except I have an additional charging circuit to charge the house battery from the engine.  If your engine doesn’t have a separate circuit you can add an automatic charging relay that energizes when the first battery is charged and allows the house battery to be charged. 

It would be a little different if you are adding a trolling motor batteries to the system.  I generally put trolling batteries on their own circuit but you can use an ACR to charge them too.

Post up more details of what you want to do and we can guide you pretty well.

Boat-Wiring-Diagram-step-5-min.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

The vehicle, housing, and boat markets are all borked right now. 2-3 yo 3/4-ton with 70k miles for 5k less than what you paid new? No bro.    Several neighbors listing houses for 50-70% more than anyone should be giving - not in Austin, not in the loop, in fucking West Houston exurbs.  Friend of friend did buy a small sport fisher the other day for half of list, but he only really got a decent deal. 

I could sell my Hell's Bay today for 10 grand more than I paid for it in 2003, and the buyer would feel like they got a great deal. But then what? If I replaced it with the new version of the exact same boat, I'd have to add 30 grand to the total. If I wanted to upgrade, add another 10-15 to that. It's like housing. Sure, you can sell your house for double what you paid for it 5 years ago, but where do you go from there? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I could sell my Hell's Bay today for 10 grand more than I paid for it in 2003, and the buyer would feel like they got a great deal. But then what? If I replaced it with the new version of the exact same boat, I'd have to add 30 grand to the total. If I wanted to upgrade, add another 10-15 to that. It's like housing. Sure, you can sell your house for double what you paid for it 5 years ago, but where do you go from there? 

Agreed.  When I had mine built, the price jumped about 70% the next year or two.  So great, instant equity.  But now what?    I don’t have any plans on replacing (maybe repower to a 400 at some point) but yeah. Craziness.   Current sled was wired well to very well from factory, but if/when I repower, it’ll be gutted and redone from scratch.   1) I’ll likely pull console out, cut another 2” off, and have it reglassed down, so they can fill all the holes or start fresh with a new cut down one.   2) I don’t think I’m going with analog gauges again.    I like redundancy in a vessel but it’s time for me to get with the times.  12” for chart, 12” for gauges, fin.  Keep it simple.       

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Are you single and open minded?

Only when I sleep at night, and probably a lot less than I fancy myself as.  

• Haha 2

There is a ton of stuff online for reference on wiring a boat.   

Are you going to shit can everything on the boat and start from scratch?  How big of an engine and are the gauges specific to the outboard?  Do you need/want a new switch panel on the console?  For a Tracker I would expect you would have 1 battery for engine and starting and 1 or two batteries for the trolling motor.  

The diagram below is pretty typical for a single start and a separate house battery.  With the switch, you can use the house battery to start the boat if the start battery dies.  This is pretty much how my boat is set up except I have an additional charging circuit to charge the house battery from the engine.  If your engine doesn’t have a separate circuit you can add an automatic charging relay that energizes when the first battery is charged and allows the house battery to be charged. 

It would be a little different if you are adding a trolling motor batteries to the system.  I generally put trolling batteries on their own circuit but you can use an ACR to charge them too.
Post up more details of what you want to do and we can guide you pretty well.

Boat-Wiring-Diagram-step-5-min.jpg

The engine is a 2007 (I believe) 40hp Evinrude. The oil gauge is linked to the outboard and works. I have two batteries. I do not have a switch between them.

My goal is to get my damn trolling motor working again. I can live with out the rest. Just want to bass fish.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Agreed.  When I had mine built, the price jumped about 70% the next year or two.  So great, instant equity.  But now what?    I don’t have any plans on replacing (maybe repower to a 400 at some point) but yeah. Craziness.   Current sled was wired well to very well from factory, but if/when I repower, it’ll be gutted and redone from scratch.   1) I’ll likely pull console out, cut another 2” off, and have it reglassed down, so they can fill all the holes or start fresh with a new cut down one.   2) I don’t think I’m going with analog gauges again.    I like redundancy in a vessel but it’s time for me to get with the times.  12” for chart, 12” for gauges, fin.  Keep it simple.       

Only when I sleep at night, and probably a lot less than I fancy myself as.  

That's the nice thing about my little skiff. It doesn't have a lot of electronic stuff. The ignition switch is in the binnacle, so no external key switch or anything. Motor harness plugs right into the binnacle, then it's just nav lights, JP and trim tabs. I added a harness for my Simrad Go7 when I repowered, and I added a 12V Minn Kota co-pilot, charger, and the Minn Kota "alternator"  at the same time. Last fall I replaced the 20 year old fuse block, and all the wiring for the tabs, JP, and lights and did the whole project in an afternoon. I've probably got at least a year (knock on wood) left on the odyssey batteries, then I'm thinking about lithiums. Saving 100 lbs of battery weight makes a big difference in a little skiff like mine. 

Few drone shots from Canyon last weekend.  Trying to help w/the power boat jones for some of you a-holes...

50CFFA74-147E-4ADC-807E-BAEDD032C32C.thumb.jpeg.df8f9f1267d39154be8a7779e8bf050a.jpeg
53E7FB48-B2C1-4263-9CB0-C9A68713ABBA.thumb.jpeg.a11dabb9d52b12649105e4d1fc76010b.jpeg
C3B4E444-0213-4EB0-AAF5-4784E51AD464_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.99dc4ccefb40b4206d62e5275a7fa6c2.jpeg

Nice Cajun. I have a Parrot Anafi drone I've had for awhile but have been uncertain about flying over water. The one time I tried I didn't have a good cell connection and that's needed for communication. Just got an iPhone 12 with 5G hopefully that improves the situation.

BTW, made a run down this afternoon because my little 5hp Honda dinghy outboard has been giving me all sorts of grief. Had to come to the boat, grab the engine, and get to him by 5p. Made it by about 3 mins. He better get that little f-er going for the summer. Now it's me time.
282094291ee9226d73086d0ec5a605ec.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So funny.  I drove home and as I got off the freeway my wife calls and says both kids are spending the night at their friends house and if I wanted I could stay at the boat.  I literally jumped straight back on the freeway and drove back to the boat.  And had a nice sail.  My happy place. 

EE461050-6656-4AE1-9CB0-A876EB72F90A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Bertram 61 convertible with the wrap around windows in the salon showed up on my Instagram. $3.4m but might be my favorite layout yet.  Super yummy.  My primary criticism of the SFY lines is the lack of 360 views from the salon.  Sexy as hell. 

56 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Cannot go wrong w/a Bertram IMO

For whatever reason, I don’t like the “new” ones.   About 75% of my offshore has been off old Bert’s, but to me, they just don’t oooze sex like something with Carolina lines.  Built like tanks, yes.   

You might be a 20’s kinda guy now...

37623045-79AD-4F16-947B-16E7DA948A0F.jpeg

A0F40624-6292-41D8-A107-DCB5C5D9FD60.jpeg

9B52BAC8-F677-4B3D-BF4F-32E4EDD057BE.jpeg

C91911E4-C15F-49F9-B995-86BBC4A82003.jpeg

E46B7D07-F191-4FB5-9C70-9D60A7832051.jpeg

65DA9DA4-66BE-4CD4-B75B-9A60669103BE.jpeg

E9AEC227-5C4D-4123-AE05-3A45F6EE1023.jpeg

the only drawback I can find is it’s still a queen berth.  Man if they could just bump it up to a king this might be the perfect SFY.  I’d do a convertible deal for the fishing cockpit to make it a lounge area when not fishing - find a way to remove the fighting chair and add a table and comfortable seating and then it’s flexible for a particular use and boom - ladies, gentlemens, and all those in between - it’s party time! 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

You might be a 20’s kinda guy now...

37623045-79AD-4F16-947B-16E7DA948A0F.thumb.jpeg.75585baa592033d420a976ac651fbb50.jpeg
A0F40624-6292-41D8-A107-DCB5C5D9FD60.thumb.jpeg.65916b9b20bf02bef1f7446033ecda60.jpeg
9B52BAC8-F677-4B3D-BF4F-32E4EDD057BE.thumb.jpeg.1b7aeb6efab2ae2799e60cafb0e7df2d.jpeg
C91911E4-C15F-49F9-B995-86BBC4A82003.thumb.jpeg.3f740610173f9c491cfa1b1d9d5e75bb.jpeg
E46B7D07-F191-4FB5-9C70-9D60A7832051.thumb.jpeg.f706cba3712919249a2309171bde1cb6.jpeg
65DA9DA4-66BE-4CD4-B75B-9A60669103BE.thumb.jpeg.ddbbfeff0b089967f817e773b46d9116.jpeg

E9AEC227-5C4D-4123-AE05-3A45F6EE1023.thumb.jpeg.4092f1ff07e389d84e12f38bceef7758.jpeg

the only drawback I can find is it’s still a queen berth.  Man if they could just bump it up to a king this might be the perfect SFY.  I’d do a convertible deal for the fishing cockpit to make it a lounge area when not fishing - find a way to remove the fighting chair and add a table and comfortable seating and then it’s flexible for a particular use and boom - ladies, gentlemens, and all those in between - it’s party time! 

Let’s be clear, I wouldn’t turn one down. But if I’m paying...

67cc1ab1801dbc0e890e4182d7088cb4.jpg

965a09163132605a097b915722e47384.jpg

9b5c61d583220adbd0e2ebc4259d3494.jpg
2939a932d12ea489cf5d4aa25135115c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

yeah, but the whole problem with the standard SFY is the lack of visibility like with the standard MY.  that salon on the Bertram 61 is so sexy.  the visibility basically makes the want/need for a MY unnecessary entirely.  and don't get me wrong either, I'm not turning down your pref either. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

@troph you don’t probably have to worry about it on the new models you sent, but I can absolutely attest the fore salon windows can get...leaky, in sporty conditions. And by leaky I mean don’t leave your hat/wallet/purse/keys up there.   Again, not an issue on a new 61’, very much an issue on an old 35’.  Either way, it’s got to have a brow. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I’m with @fattyflattieon the lines. The Blue Eagle above is owned by a friend of mine. pretty sure it’s an ACY - American custom yachts. Give me a custom for the lines or even a Vikings lines look better than that Bert. Also I’m sure they’ve fixed it but the build quality of Berts took a nosedive after the 80’s. Hell I didn’t even realize they were making boats.

@trophthe fighting chairs are really easy to take on and off and they make a table that fits down into the hole. We take ours on and off depending on if the people fishing need it otherwise a rocket launcher is in 95% of the time.

22 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah I’m with @fattyflattieon the lines. The Blue Eagle above is owned by a friend of mine. pretty sure it’s an ACY - American custom yachts. Give me a custom for the lines or even a Vikings lines look better than that Bert. Also I’m sure they’ve fixed it but the build quality of Berts took a nosedive after the 80’s. Hell I didn’t even realize they were making boats.

@trophthe fighting chairs are really easy to take on and off and they make a table that fits down into the hole. We take ours on and off depending on if the people fishing need it otherwise a rocket launcher is in 95% of the time.

Didn't Bertram get bought out by some conglomerate in the 80s? Not AMF, but someone like that? I think I remember that. Then some time in the early aughts I think they got sold again back to a smaller ownership group? Anyway, love the ACY and Viking lines. I was always a fan of Buddy Davis as well. He always seemed like one of those guys that was an amazing builder, but a terrible business man. Seemed like every time I picked up a copy of Marlin magazine he was in or teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Then he changed the name of the company to "BD yachts" and turned out a drop dead gorgeous 68' that seemed like it was for sale forever in the back of Marlin.  

11 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Didn't Bertram get bought out by some conglomerate in the 80s? Not AMF, but someone like that? I think I remember that. Then some time in the early aughts I think they got sold again back to a smaller ownership group? Anyway, love the ACY and Viking lines. I was always a fan of Buddy Davis as well. He always seemed like one of those guys that was an amazing builder, but a terrible business man. Seemed like every time I picked up a copy of Marlin magazine he was in or teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. Then he changed the name of the company to "BD yachts" and turned out a drop dead gorgeous 68' that seemed like it was for sale forever in the back of Marlin.  

I want to say they went bankrupt and then sold to a foreign company. Really can’t remember. You are spot on with Davis. My friend has a 60’ Davis hull that was bought out of bankruptcy @2003ish. Purchaser took it  to another builder to finish it out. My friend bought it 3 years ago for 1.2. Great boat that I’ve fished a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1