The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Let’s be clear, I wouldn’t turn one down. But if I’m paying...

2939a932d12ea489cf5d4aa25135115c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty humbling when what I paid for my boat most likely wouldn't even cover the cost of the Penn fishing gear on his.

Well for quality I like the Vikings and Hattys a lot but that singular wrap around view in the Bertram 61 is stunning that really was my primary point.  If the quality is good I would have it at or near the top of my list for that reason.  The beam on the hatteras makes me happy too and at 60 I think you can get a king sized bed in the master stateroom. 

still very much on the sailing angle right now but man a SFY that’s got that kind of visibility is amazing. 

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@troph you don’t probably have to worry about it on the new models you sent, but I can absolutely attest the fore salon windows can get...leaky, in sporty conditions. And by leaky I mean don’t leave your hat/wallet/purse/keys up there.   Again, not an issue on a new 61’, very much an issue on an old 35’.  Either way, it’s got to have a brow. 

I’ve heard this. I know Hatteras has one they discontinued. It’s kind of why I did a double take on this one. 

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Pretty humbling when what I paid for my boat most likely wouldn't even cover the cost of the Penn fishing gear on his.

Funny you say that. Friend of friend has had several SF’s.  I remember he “re-upped” once on tournament tackle.  I’m guessing 30’s thru 80’s.  Anyhow the receipt he sent my buddy was like 30k.  They are real close and he likes to send him shit like that while my buddy is at work like normal people.  He does get cool ones like the receipt when he filled up at buddy’s family place during poco. Diesel bill was for something like 2500 gals.  Of course it came with a “you’re welcome” on the text lol. 

30 minutes ago, troph said:

That diesel bill is one (of many) reason(s) I’m giving powered by Mother Nature a strong look. 

When I was in college a friend’s parents had a place at Horseshoe Bay that we got to use occasionally.  Being a lake newbie I thought the proper thing to do was offer to top off the boat in exchange for the fun had that weekend, which it was. At the time,  I just had no idea that boats have larger gas tanks than cars.  My $250 balance in my bank account started getting really nervous when the guy at the dock just kept on pumping gas into that boat.  Lesson learned.

• Haha 5

I commented to my wife that this boat is real FU money and I wasn't referring to the cost of the boat. It was doing ~35kts for a few hundred miles (florida->abacos).
IMG_20210503_120143928.thumb.jpg.190865953ac032fdf13a271187d07c3c.jpg

One of the coolest parts of hanging out around those tournaments is seeing all the boats fuel up, rig up, etc. To me, anyhow. As noted above my buddys family owns one of the fuel docks in POC. Those guys would roll up and buy 2-4500g at a time. His dad would have tankers filling his tanks as fast as possible and the boats would just drain them.  Don’t know if it’s true but heard No Compromise had a tank buried across the street, and just uses that to fill his.  Don’t know if true or not, I know the lot next to his house is where he lands the swagcopter (yes, same one).  
d8cb57cc6bc71b442dc919d0eb93c012.jpg

We like to give my buddies dad shit because the guy worked for him for a year or two out of college before leaving to start Pumpco. Worked out for him, I’d say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, troph said:

that's a gorgeous boat.

During poco the entire fore deck is full of fuel barrels.  Doesn’t do much for the lines, but I guess if you are trying to run fast to Louisiana floaters and back, those extra 500 gallons are needed.  Lol. I got a pic somewhere. 

8 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

During poco the entire fore deck is full of fuel barrels.  Doesn’t do much for the lines, but I guess if you are trying to run fast to Louisiana floaters and back, those extra 500 gallons are needed.  Lol. I got a pic somewhere. 

Speaking of POCO.

D696D5E8-A571-47B0-9620-E3DE2382DDCB.jpeg

9B7DF498-E33C-491B-B172-1F6CA91E0A11.jpeg

4289A094-3FE8-42A3-9A74-AC52A007B88E.jpeg

93443BC1-83FB-455C-BFC1-62C21D37861D.jpeg

5A04043E-EDE4-4205-926E-38DD18C64979.jpeg

AD655797-4EB1-4776-85D1-7CC97C2C7B4F.jpeg

560EA7F0-0992-4531-9432-691B1BBF00D4.jpeg

26F8D545-4B1A-4C3A-8E4D-3DB537886383.jpeg

F3F11B7C-D65B-4878-9A68-2661916A1F81.jpeg

561B7E32-1D48-44AB-97D3-CE7347944B20.jpeg

80A5925E-EB34-47AB-8F83-3037F4A61AC2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

Honestly it’s not that bad. These days it’s mostly Shimano reels but you can outfit a boat from light to heavy tackle and spend less than 20,000. And that stuff will last for years and years. The LP dredge reels, line, lures, dredges, and teasers is what gets you.

I know I have pics of it somewhere. In the meantime here’s the very large Spencer, Smooth Move blowing by us out the jetty. We were on Rebecca which is a 62ish F&S that cruises 33 knots. I’m pretty sure we flipped the captain Brian the bird as he passed. Good friend. They won that year and we were 4th.

4E73DFB5-A597-40E3-806C-DAAD6CFCEFAE.jpeg

B62BEA9A-B9F9-415D-ABFE-F32E203A1208.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Rebecca was beautiful, too. 

Yup. He tried to sell it a few years back and everyone told him he was out of his mind. Amazing boat. We did 700 miles round trip in Legends  at 30 knots and that girl didn’t break a sweat. Amazing boat. There’s only 2 of them that size.

DBEA3888-DFB2-46D2-B921-789E870FA51C.jpeg

8143BB18-D28D-4255-951A-1559F2EE36C0.jpeg

Meant to post this one too. State recored for billfish in a day and for 24 hours. Did it fishing our way from Legends down to TIFT at David’s Spot. Didn’t even get out there till 10:30 in the morning. Sad thing is we missed a ton more fish the first day. second day we fished 2 hours there then Colt then went inshore looking for a blue. We got him on a lure bite while we were reeling in lines to go to SPI and our TIco mate hooked him in the forehead. crazy bite that first day I think we were 19/32 or something horrible on whites and sails and 0/1 on blues. Terrible angling and my captain didn’t let us hear the end of it for days. Made up for that by winning Rockstar in Costa later that year by going 4/4 on blues second day. That’ll teach him.

C6401BC6-BC01-41AF-B4E6-06BEC03D52A4.jpeg

Edited by justhookit

59 minutes ago, justhookit said:

B62BEA9A-B9F9-415D-ABFE-F32E203A1208.jpeg

Boat owner’s girlfriend, owner, son, dog, big fish, Tico mate, owner’s friend, captain’s son/mate, captain, captain’s wife, me, my girlfriend, 2nd captains wife and kid, 2nd captain and other kid.

so x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,1,x,x,x,x in case she ever reads this.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

Meant to post this one too. State recored for billfish in a day and for 24 hours. Did it fishing our way from Legends down to TIFT at David’s Spot. Didn’t even get out there till 10:30 in the morning. Sad thing is we missed a ton more fish the first day. second day we fished 2 hours there then Colt then went inshore looking for a blue. We got him on a lure bite while we were reeling in lines to go to SPI and our TIco mate hooked him in the forehead. crazy bite that first day I think we were 19/32 or something horrible on whites and sails and 0/1 on blues. Terrible angling and my captain didn’t let us hear the end of it for days. Made up for that by winning Rockstar in Costa later that year by going 4/4 on blues second day. That’ll teach him.

C6401BC6-BC01-41AF-B4E6-06BEC03D52A4.jpeg

What’s the success rate on catch and release, meaning how many hooked make it back out there and how many go to the even bigger blue sea in the sky?

3 hours ago, troph said:

What’s the success rate on catch and release, meaning how many hooked make it back out there and how many go to the even bigger blue sea in the sky?

Pretty much 100%. The only time we ever kill a billfish is in the POCO tournament. We’ve also had 2 blue marlin die on us fishing the FADs in Costa Rica. Other than that we’ve released all that we catch. I’m sure a handful that we let go die but we are talking about 1000’s of billfish so it’s a pretty good success rate.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

Pretty much 100%. The only time we ever kill a billfish is in the POCO tournament. We’ve also had 2 blue marlin die on us fishing the FADs in Costa Rica. Other than that we’ve released all that we catch. I’m sure a handful that we let go die but we are talking about 1000’s of billfish so it’s a pretty good success rate.

Very good. Is that common in the practice? 

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Very good. Is that common in the practice? 

Not just common, it’s really looked down on to kill a billfish anymore. It’s basically against the law in many places (Costa Rica for one). The only place it still happens much is Hawaii. And of course some of the big money tournaments are kill tournaments but that is only a handful of fish that would get allocated to the commercial sector if the recs don’t meet their quota (which they never do). They’ve done a remarkable job managing billfish stocks all over the world in the last 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Any transient slips on lake austin?  Friend is looking for one for a 31 foot boat. Hudson Bend to Lakeway is preferred for him. 

That’s lake Travis I know lakeway marina has some or they used to not that long ago. Call them. Great marina. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, Brew said:

$&@(, it’s time to suck up my pride and overspend on a boat. I’m not going through the summer without one.

Made an offer on a leftover new 2020 Nautique 210, we’ll see what they come back with. Don’t want a new one, but I feel a whole lot better offering on it at the price it is than what I’m still seeing in the used market. It will probably crash as soon as I buy something.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Made an offer on a leftover new 2020 Nautique 210, we’ll see what they come back with. Don’t want a new one, but I feel a whole lot better offering on it at the price it is than what I’m still seeing in the used market. It will probably crash as soon as I buy something.

but it's kinda like sex, have boat, don't care. 

51 minutes ago, Brew said:

Unless something falls apart tomorrow or a better option becomes available, look like I’m picking this one up on Saturday. Don’t think that drive is what my wife had planned for our 22nd anniversary that day, but shit happens

There's no better anniversary/birthday/christmas present than a boat.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:48 PM, Brew said:

It will probably crash as soon as I buy something.

I think even if it did, there would be awhile before thinks equalize back down.  There ALOT of people that just went big on pre-owned boats and that will take awhile to realize all those losses. 

I think even if it did, there would be awhile before thinks equalize back down.  There ALOT of people that just went big on pre-owned boats and that will take awhile to realize all those losses. 

I plan on buying something whenever everyone starts dumping them because they can go on vacation again.

I’m either going to get a late 90’s ts6, an early sunsport v, or some centurion variant. If I could find a 93 Stars and Stripes I might go there too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There are still only so many boats being put out and very few carry over to the next year in inventory. Those sales are pretty fixed each year, so I think it will be the older used market that crashes. I got a deal on this one versus overpaying by as much as double on the used ones right now. I called on an 06 X-30 and they were firm in the low 50’s. That was the end of my used search. There are ‘17-19 210’s for sale for as much and more than this one.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I've given up on waiting for the boat bubble to pop. I've watched them stay higher than giraffe snatch through two oil busts and a Covid bust. Last oil bust I watched the boat classifieds on 2cool every day waiting for the glut of almost new Shoalwaters and Simmions to hit the market and it never happened. I guess the banks figured it was easier to work something out than to have a big glut of used fishing boats hit the market all at once. Either that or all the Chadbros had them financed out for so long they could still cover the $200/240 month note. I guess if your house note in Victoria or Bay City is only $500/month you have plenty left over for your F250 and your SCB. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Either that or all the Chadbros had them financed out for so long they could still cover the $200/240 month note. I guess if your house note in Victoria or Bay City is only $500/month you have plenty left over for your F250 and your SCB. 

Wait.  You’re telling me all those 20 something plant hands didn’t plunk 200k down for truck and rig?   9 year truck loans and 15+ year boat loans fucked the regular folks.    But I agree. The amount of 200+k rigs at froggys every weekend is astonishing.  Dozens and dozens of them.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brew said:

There are still only so many boats being put out and very few carry over to the next year in inventory. Those sales are pretty fixed each year, so I think it will be the older used market that crashes. I got a deal on this one versus overpaying by as much as double on the used ones right now. I called on an 06 X-30 and they were firm in the low 50’s. That was the end of my used search. There are ‘17-19 210’s for sale for as much and more than this one.

Oh I agree.  I’ll be replacing my truck in the next 3-4 years and see all these pickups with 90k miles selling for 5k less than paid. Nah dawgie, think I’ll just splurge on that last 5k and not buy your worn out shit. 

If anyone is shopping, there's a new Ri257 at Ski Dock that's been sitting there forever.  It was there when I was shopping around last summer.  Maybe that's one you can actually get a good deal on.  Centurion released their new line of Ri245's and Ri265's last summer and that may be making it tougher to move a new Ri257.  That and the fact that you'd be more likely to win the lottery than to find a slip on Lake Austin big enough to accommodate it.  

https://www.skidock.com/texas-centurion-boats-for-sale/new/ri-257/