The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Got a drone awhile back but have not spent the time to really get it wired. First time over water was SUPER stressful, and there is so little takeoff and landing space on a sailboat deck you have to do it all manually. I need to spend a LOT of time trying to figure this out.
789818ccbcc911ab0008b0b47acffb86.jpg
9bc951ead6a4e5e9c54041aaf2f61984.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@Sbbruin

I fly mine (Mavic Air 2) over water all the time.  I have found that the best way to retrieve it is by hand either on the bow or the stern.  Just hover it close as possible and then reach up and grab the little bugger.

Yeah I’ve got the Parrot Anafi.  I just need more time with it.  Controls still don’t come naturally to me.  Oh, and I have a nice cut on my chin grabbing it out of the air.  Spaz.

• Haha 1

@Sbbruin

Drink more, you won't mind the cuts.

My best water/drone story was when I had to land it on some scuba divers' boat b/c I was at critical battery level and couldn't risk the extra 400 yrds to get it to the back of mine.  Luckily they were drone guys and undrestood.

Made for a quite entertaining conversation when they all surfaced and found a strange UFO on the back of their Malibu.

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah I’ve got the Parrot Anafi.  I just need more time with it.  Controls still don’t come naturally to me.  Oh, and I have a nice cut on my chin grabbing it out of the air.  Spaz.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@Sbbruin

Drink more, you won't mind the cuts.

My best water/drone story was when I had to land it on some scuba divers' boat b/c I was at critical battery level and couldn't risk the extra 400 yrds to get it to the back of mine.  Luckily they were drone guys and undrestood.

Made for a quite entertaining conversation when they all surfaced and found a strange UFO on the back of their Malibu.

On part one, I’m way ahead of you.

I got this with the idea I would make some glorious island videos.  I didn’t really think through the effort I’d have to put into it.  When I have the fam on board, they don’t do shit so I do everything, from all boating elements to most cooking and cleaning.  It’s the way I try to make them enjoying what almost everyone should enjoy naturally.  I also have the wife pressuring me for a bigger boat, which seems counter to most who want a bigger boat but the wife says no.  I would love a 42, but I have 2 kids in pricey private HS and headed for college.  I have to be the rational one.  But I’ve always had to be. So I will love and cherish this boat, and she’ll have to cope.  Or not.  Whatever.  I just sent them home on the ferry, and hallelujah sent the puppy home too.  Just me and my boat, enjoying the most glorious environs imaginable.  Look at this sweet old woodie that just moored next to me.  I could chill on that for a looong time.  

To all my fellow surly boaters, whether lake or stream or ocean, keep doing it.  It is what the soul was designed for.  I am certainly never happier than where,I am right now.

3ABBC689-78AC-4F83-9087-2D56029E4906.jpeg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

789818ccbcc911ab0008b0b47acffb86.jpg

And when I listen to everyone bash California, which is very bashable, I do laugh a little internally.  But there’s no where else you can do this.  Hard to get to, no doubt, but my BIL left San Clemente today for Lafayette, LA.  I can’t even begin to wrap my brain around that.   His wife is 17 years younger and pretty hot, but fuck.  I went to Lafayette when they got married.  3 days was more than enough for a lifetime.  And to leave San Clemente for that?  As they say…

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't bash CA at all except to say their sailing charter industry sucks for people like me.  If I could, I'd live anywhere on or within a 1-2 miles of the coast from San Diego to a few hours north of San Fransisco and wouldn't look back.  By the time I can though, I'll be untethered completely and will likely want to be in a lot of places not just there.

I had one of my semi-annual "Fuck this piece of shit, I'm selling it" moments last weekend. The steering has been getting progressively tighter on the skiff the past several months, so I decided to replace the helm and cable. The boat has no feedback mechanical steering, and if it gets a little corrosion inside the helm pod, it will start to tighten up. I have to replace it every 5 years or so, so I know the drill. It's one of those things if you're replacing the helm you replace the cable too, since it only adds about 5 minutes to the job on my boat. Well, the steering wheel was frozen to the helm spindle with corrosion (yes, I greased the spindle before I put the wheel on last time) and I broke my  Edson wheel trying to get it off with a wheel puller. Then the internal gearing was so corroded I couldn't get the cable out of the helm pod, so I ended up cutting the cable with a pair of 4' bolt cutters. I finally get the helm free and the cable removed, unbox the new cable.....and it's too short. So today I'm ordering a new steering wheel and trying to exchange the cable. FML

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, troph said:

I don't bash CA at all except to say their sailing charter industry sucks for people like me.  If I could, I'd live anywhere on or within a 1-2 miles of the coast from San Diego to a few hours north of San Fransisco and wouldn't look back.  By the time I can though, I'll be untethered completely and will likely want to be in a lot of places not just there.

I'd move to Santa Barbara tomorrow if I could get my wife to and if I had more scratch.  To me that is the most perfect spot in California.  Beautiful.  Perfect weather.  Smaller population. Close to fantastic wineries. I do not care for Los Angeles or OC that much.  I like the CA coast between Malibu and Carmel.  And San Diego.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'd move to Santa Barbara tomorrow if I could get my wife to and if I had more scratch.  To me that is the most perfect spot in California.  Beautiful.  Perfect weather.  Smaller population. Close to fantastic wineries. I do not care for Los Angeles or OC that much.  I like the CA coast between Malibu and Carmel.  And San Diego.

yeah OC sucks.  Dana Point is kinda nice. I wouldn't turn down beach property north of OC in LA up to malibu though (manhattan beach, redondo beach, venice beach, santa monica, etc.).  But yeah, San Diego, then Malibu to Carmel but then north of the golden gate is pretty spectacular.  Who wouldn't live in Sausalito, Marin City, Tiburon, etc. with a view of the bay?

Yep. That's where we'd move, or the poor man's SB, Ventura. My wife would move there without me if she could.

21 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Cruise ship tenders/ passenger shuttles for places that don't have a cruise ship pier.

CHIEF

Yes, and they double as lifeboats. They are also hot as fuck with no ventilation. You definitely want to be last to board if you are in a hot climate.

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So my good buddy is entering the TransPac. They leave on Tuesday. Beneteau 47.just went over and checked it out. It is dialed in. There's a tracker app if you want to follow it.
54617a723fb3882189e6bbc312157629.jpg

Yes post it please.  I’ll unlikely go cross ocean as the lady in charge but I for damn sure think I’ll be a crew member at least once.

10 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So my good buddy is entering the TransPac. They leave on Tuesday. Beneteau 47.just went over and checked it out. It is dialed in. There's a tracker app if you want to follow it.
54617a723fb3882189e6bbc312157629.jpg

Fair winds and no issues this year for your buddy.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, davidg said:

Which one of you ballers was towing this down the road Saturday?

F3EEF695-3277-4F09-84D8-84B1CE5FFABE.thumb.jpeg.b53e5aa5e021521a9c3bc45a01bd03bb.jpeg

Decals are top notch but his speaker game tells me he rents a luxury apartment and spends all his money on the boat payment (and is broke) and gladly accepts cash donations for regular fuel.  In essence that’s not a surly baller. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

Decals are top notch but his speaker game tells me he rents a luxury apartment and spends all his money on the boat payment (and is broke) and gladly accepts cash donations for regular fuel.  In essence that’s not a surly baller. 

That’s funny.  I have just enough speakers to jam out a bit myself (and not others) but I’m far from the lake scene.  More jam out with the fam at the pass type system.    And I couldn’t imagine putting a bunch for pickup truck badging all over my boat, though can confirm fat chicks help with ballast.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s funny.  I have just enough speakers to jam out a bit myself (and not others) but I’m far from the lake scene.  More jam out with the fam at the pass type system.    And I couldn’t imagine putting a bunch for pickup truck badging all over my boat, though can confirm fat chicks help with ballast.  

you really need more than he has in my experience if you are surfing behind the boat.  the boat is loud and you need to play over that to enjoy the music.

as for fat girls, that's my past life, I'll stick with water for the ballasts now and have the cute slender ladies on board now, or at least the one I'm sleeping with.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think that Supra actually comes with that raptor and 6.2 badging. Agreed on everything else though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, dlatin said:

Lake living is nice. We can jump in the boat and catch a sunset as often as we like. The down side is the family takes it for granted. I could do it every night.
d87a69ad3d72d72851aa84c890bb3d91.jpg
ffbcc61d3558b1f29ede07d6a6fcf1ed.jpg

We moved back to town after selling our lake house while our better lake house is being built and it suuuuuucks. 

3 hours ago, Clackles said:

As a skier, I’ve always preferred sunrises.

Our new place is oriented for sunrises and as I get older I like that more. As a surfer with the traffic these days on the water we will probably end up going out in the mornings. 

Our new place is oriented for sunrises and as I get older I like that more. As a surfer with the traffic these days on the water we will probably end up going out in the mornings. 

We find evenings are pretty good for surfing because a lot of boats leave and it almost always gets really calm, regardless of how windy it’s been that day. We always talk about getting out early but it never happens. Sunday evenings are great.

On 7/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, troph said:

you really need more than he has in my experience if you are surfing behind the boat.  the boat is loud and you need to play over that to enjoy the music.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to upgrade.  But it is an internal struggle. Do I really need 3k worth of lithium batteries to save 65# to try and touch those last 2 top end mph? Only to put 40# back in speakers (console is my only spot I can fit speakers). 

• Hook 'Em 1

@Handcruser

I actually don't have the MC back yet and have yet to get the Nautique out on the water.  I was all set to go out about a week ago, but the weather conspired against me.

If you put a gun to my head I'm taking the MC ONLY b/c it's a 2019 vs a 2005.  More room, more goodies, more get up and go, all that.  Buuuuuuut, let's say that the Nautique was updated and tricked out w/all the same shit - well, it'd be the Nautique and it would really be no contest.  Sexier boat, better ride, easier docking, etc.

3 hours ago, dlatin said:

We find evenings are pretty good for surfing because a lot of boats leave and it almost always gets really calm, regardless of how windy it’s been that day. We always talk about getting out early but it never happens. Sunday evenings are great.

Travis is getting more crowded at night but yeah we are a weekday 6-10p boaters usually.

How many boats should a gal have? (Trick question) Answer: One more than she currently has.  Now the proud half owner of a “vintage” (i.e. 40 year old) Catalina sailboat.  

6EB67665-5693-4D2A-B10F-1983E7A204C2.jpeg

0AAF5541-BC25-4904-84D0-ADA209CDFE12.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Congrats @troph   Father of a close friend of mine is currently at 11… 3 Bertram’s and a bunch of bay boats (rentals) I think you are squarely in solid amount, maybe one SF short…

I’m riding my friend’s Hatty 50 set up for as long as I can!  2x a year on that diesel guzzler might be enough! 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, troph said:

How many boats should a gal have? (Trick question) Answer: One more than she currently has.  Now the proud half owner of a “vintage” (i.e. 40 year old) Catalina sailboat.  

6EB67665-5693-4D2A-B10F-1983E7A204C2.jpeg

0AAF5541-BC25-4904-84D0-ADA209CDFE12.jpeg

Outstanding.  As a proud owner of a "vintage" Catalina myself, I say "cheers!".  Now let's work on your headsail trim.  Is your headsail rack on the rail?  Do you have another inboard track?  If so, sheet it to the inboard track.  The sheet is way to far outside.

Edited by Sbbruin