The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

I think I should have accepted the fact that my kids schedules and the lake just don’t much work any more. My nephews kept it going the last couple of years, but 3 months and 15 hours on the boat is ridiculous. Think I may start looking for the bay boat I wanted and flip this thing at some point next year or just keep it for the limited times they want to get out.

It gets better. My boat was out of commission for two summers when they were late teens and I just didn’t spend any time getting it fixed. Kids weren’t too interested when they were around. Fast forward to now and my 25yo daughter (nopics) drove 3 hrs and my 21 yo son drove an hour to meet us at the lake and camp for the weekend. Cooked some good food, fished a little, pulled them on skis, knee board and tube. They took off in the boat by them selves for a while doing who knows what.

Good weekend on the water. (And at the campsite).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 9/6/2021 at 8:10 PM, davidg said:

It gets better. My boat was out of commission for two summers when they were late teens and I just didn’t spend any time getting it fixed. Kids weren’t too interested when they were around. Fast forward to now and my 25yo daughter (nopics) drove 3 hrs and my 21 yo son drove an hour to meet us at the lake and camp for the weekend. Cooked some good food, fished a little, pulled them on skis, knee board and tube. They took off in the boat by them selves for a while doing who knows what.

Good weekend on the water. (And at the campsite).

Roll Tide!

Just kidding of course. That’s awesome. My kids don’t give a shit about the lake this year. 

Motherfucker. I went out to my shop tonight to move some trailers to start getting ready for winter and didn’t plan on pulling the boat out. One f-ing trailer wouldn’t quite fit where I needed it, so I decided to pull the boat out on to the pad to make room and never even thought about the fact I didn’t raise the door up all the way an hour before when I got there. Luckily the door gave way before the tower, so looks like it’s time for a new Bimini and at least three sections of garage door if not an entire new door since the tracks bent as well. Fuck me, just the bimini was $3500 and has a solid 5-6 uses on it.

F4BDD365-7501-476A-8AB6-065854EC1626.jpeg

• Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, Horns99 said:

My 7 year old is obsessed with wakeboarding now, it’s all he wants to do.

7d500085ef7df3750d7bee5d8ad33823.jpg

b08cebf56720e9ca515506f38e9d05ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome. That’s what makes it fun and he’s really hitting it for a 7 year old. What are you pulling him with?

1 minute ago, Horns99 said:

Old school Malibu Sunsetter LX. It’s time for an upgrade

Throw a bag on each side of the engine and another in the bow and it will clean that wake right up and give him more than enough wake for a couple more years. Then you can wait on the inevitable market crash that has to be coming.

I’m still amazed you have your 7 year old  grabbing air like that. Shorten the rope and you’ll have him going wake to wake in no time.

• Like 1

Throw a bag on each side of the engine and another in the bow and it will clean that wake right up and give him more than enough wake for a couple more years. Then you can wait on the inevitable market crash that has to be coming.
I’m still amazed you have your 7 year old  grabbing air like that. Shorten the rope and you’ll have him going wake to wake in no time.

Yeah, trying to get his technique down before I put the wedge down or add any weight. He watches some 10 yr old on YouTube that can rip for motivation. We’ll see on boat market, I’m starting to lose hope.

10 hours ago, davidg said:

It’s not FP but it will do.

Port Mansfield. Drinking coffee this morning from the flybridge watching bay boats fuel up at the marina and bait shop next door one at a time, sleepy, slow, more sea gulls than people, just what I need. 

Don’t have any fantastic fishing plans, will go catch some snapper for dinner later today. Brought some fly fishing gear we might try and find a fly fishing opportunity tomorrow, might not work out.

Edited by troph

On 9/24/2021 at 9:35 PM, troph said:

Some much needed Hatteras 50 action this weekend (stay aboard for 3 nights).  Bonus points for a correct guess of what Texas coastal town. 

2E250B75-C2E0-423E-9042-9FE209ED6CE4.jpeg

Have not scrolled down, but Mansfield? Pretty sure I drunkenly fell down near those gas tanks a few years ago.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1

Season is coming to a close and I haven’t been out much since football season started but had to get on the water for a few last night. I had hoped to jump in the boat with my neighbors but since they didn’t go out I put her in to take a spin by myself and catch sunset.
af7af811995c3b27aa693da6b9d478a2.jpg
8bdc650d51eeabea7c3b50c914e6fb49.jpg
c5b5a9681b1764076a756ac8c8ff2fbd.jpg
b7e290cee12571cf7eabeb9df5b4ec0d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Getting antsy. We've been in TX since May and will return to the boat in a few weeks. We'll spend 3-4 weeks getting ready and then head down to the Keys.

I didn't share in May but while we were docked at the St Augustine Municipal Marina we got hit by 55ft power boat. The current in St Augustine can rip at max flow and some captains underestimate it. This boat was docked directly in front of us and was backing out and quickly got sidewise to the current. They hit us once and were then the wrong direction to get out of the marina so they powered forward, hit another boat, managed to turn around, and then hit us again on their way out.  The other boat that got hit was hit again two days later. 😠

The damage was both rubrails on the bows were ripped off, anchor and anchor roller were pulled out of the deck and twisted, bent anchor bridle padeye, and a bent pulpit. Just 5k in damage! Not bad! Fortunately the dude had money and just sent me a check. My insurance broker when I asked him what to do: "Do not get the insurance companies involved! Work it out between yourselves first." Ah insurance companies that don't pay out... it's the american way.

IMG_20210512_150853854.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I guess he has no deep water access?  No other reason to severely cut your range, and backing that thing down outside of that calm bay is going to be the suck.  

If it’s like any of of the other recent Spencer’s it will spend more time in the yard than it does on the water. They somehow took a beautiful boat and fucked it up.

Little Santa Barbara sailing action today… first time on the ocean. 47 footer, it was quite calm and easy, didn’t have wind for the first few hours then the day heated up and the wind started blowing in. Ended up cruising about 5 knots.  We didn’t start out like the horns but we finished strong. Heh. 

2A7C0AC2-60A2-4BF2-A8E2-962CF19A9006.jpeg

1C656B53-0779-4BD6-AFB5-D0EC3CD18EA1.jpeg

BEFC5EEB-60D0-4630-810E-22C9D4BE6FB5.jpeg

FBAAC0E7-78E6-4C70-8D83-52EBAE65EFAB.jpeg

6358582F-58C5-41AB-8616-6D03C6E44165.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Little Santa Barbara sailing action today… first time on the ocean. 47 footer, it was quite calm and easy, didn’t have wind for the first few hours then the day heated up and the wind started blowing in. Ended up cruising about 5 knots.  We didn’t start out like the horns but we finished strong. Heh. 

2A7C0AC2-60A2-4BF2-A8E2-962CF19A9006.jpeg

1C656B53-0779-4BD6-AFB5-D0EC3CD18EA1.jpeg

BEFC5EEB-60D0-4630-810E-22C9D4BE6FB5.jpeg

FBAAC0E7-78E6-4C70-8D83-52EBAE65EFAB.jpeg

30C21853-5B9C-4D81-A904-097CA3D5DE29.jpeg

Outstanding!  Spent many nights in that harbor and sailing the East SB channel.  Details?  Boat?  Whose and how?

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Outstanding!  Spent many nights in that harbor and sailing the East SB channel.  Details?  Boat?  Whose and how?

Santa Barbara sailing center offers day courses - non certified for those with some experience. We sailed a 42 foot catalina (I said 47 I was wrong), here’s the boat: https://sbsail.com/boat-charters-rentals/#calafia

zero wind until noon then 2 hours of good gentle sailing. Had a chance to learn some and take the unknown out of ocean sailing. Clearly not open / blue water but still ocean nonetheless.  BVI up next. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Santa Barbara sailing center offers day courses - non certified for those with some experience. We sailed a 42 foot catalina (I said 47 I was wrong), here’s the boat: https://sbsail.com/boat-charters-rentals/#calafia

zero wind until noon then 2 hours of good gentle sailing. Had a chance to learn some and take the unknown out of ocean sailing. Clearly not open / blue water but still ocean nonetheless.  BVI up next. 

That channel can get as pissy as anywhere.  Glad you had a mellow day