The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

16 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And @Cajun I trust there’s a Capt. Stabbin ending to your boating escapades?

Um, no.  When Troph said “barely legal”, I’m afraid he was being VERY generous.  

I do get the occasional Cougar swim- out/“Hey mister” and then it’s game on!  Unfortunately, last time that happened one of ‘em threw up all over my deck.  

Kinda kills the mood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Um, no.  When Troph said “barely legal”, I’m afraid he was being VERY generous.  

I do get the occasional Cougar swim- out/“Hey mister” and then it’s game on!  Unfortunately, last time that happened one of ‘em threw up all over my deck.  

Kinda kills the mood.

Don’t make me show you my tits. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Yep. Mis-matched bikini is always the cool one.

I’d have to figure out what’s going on with her hip, but these aren’t the ones I was referencing.  There was one once (in black, naughty vibes) that had me about to trade my tournament sled in for a ski wagon with enough speakers and lights to jam Pink Floyd loud enough to make @Cajun say got damn. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@fattyflattieWhat’s “going on” with her hip is that she was about 9% body fat.

That’s what was going on.

Just wanted to put that out there.  For science.

Shit probably less than that.  Just a funny pic.  But the OG black suit had me running numbers on alimony and child support. 

My favorite sunset capture from last year.  The Point Break-esque paraglides landing in the lake at the end was a nice bonus.  Can’t wait to get on the water again.  Credit to Pink Floyd & WetSounds for the beats…

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

My favorite sunset capture from last year.  The Point Break-esque paraglides landing in the lake at the end was a nice bonus.  Can’t wait to get on the water again.  Credit to Pink Floyd & WetSounds for the beats…

I think the one thing I miss most from my college years was taking the bosses boat out, everyone getting in a quick set while watching the Sun sink over the cliffs on Lake Travis.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/17/2022 at 8:12 AM, Goofyboy said:

I think the one thing I miss most from my college years was taking the bosses boat out, everyone getting in a quick set while watching the Sun sink over the cliffs on Lake Travis.

that's half our summer these days with the kids. 630pm - 930pm.  been harder living in town, but we get to move into our place this summer.  I was made for the lake after work lifestyle and it's sucked massive donkey balls the last two years not to have that like we did before covid. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, Sbbruin said:

Still stuck at the dock while still waiting for the temp gauge to get installed. But spent the day prepping for season '22. Need maybe one more full day and she'll be ready to rock. Guess I'll just chill tonight and watch hoops.
ec72ea059ebfa9e690fb44c0c4c77868.jpg

Man just hanging on the boat in the marina looks pretty damn relaxing and enjoyable to me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

We spent the last 3 weeks in the Raggeds which is a remote part of the Bahamas that's just 100 miles north of Cuba. There's not much down here. No restaurants, no bars, no grocery stores, nada. Well except for the fishing which is .. amazing:

lobster.thumb.jpg.50c71f2986cb936a335965e3c8c0239f.jpg

Me and a friend have caught at least a hundred lobster the last 3 years and the guy 2nd from the right was way bigger than any previous one. Just a monster. The crew threatened mutiny due to too much lobster so I gave most of these and a bunch more away to other boaters.  

We've now turned north and are heading back up the islands and then back to the US. We've been here for 3 months and have just a month and a half left. Time flies way to fucking fast.

Our last anchorage in the Raggeds at Water Cay:

watercay.thumb.jpg.a04302903dbb04a8c8fd33f076b6c420.jpg

Heading northeast to Long Island:

north_to_long.thumb.jpg.45dabd67d8895e6e87c7fcb360f320a8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

During college, a friend of mine spent his last $250 to fly from VMI to St. Barts (iirc).   He became a beach bum, diver, dive instructor, bar tender, rum drinker. Said he was so poor he had lobster every day for something like 6 months at one point.  Still doesn't dig on lobster to this day.  He eventually came back to the states, got his engineering degree, and became a corporate guy.  Funny when he talks about the lobster days, it sounds like Bubba from Forrest Gump.  

On 4/6/2022 at 1:44 PM, Viking said:

We spent the last 3 weeks in the Raggeds which is a remote part of the Bahamas that's just 100 miles north of Cuba. There's not much down here. No restaurants, no bars, no grocery stores, nada. Well except for the fishing which is .. amazing:

lobster.thumb.jpg.50c71f2986cb936a335965e3c8c0239f.jpg

Me and a friend have caught at least a hundred lobster the last 3 years and the guy 2nd from the right was way bigger than any previous one. Just a monster. The crew threatened mutiny due to too much lobster so I gave most of these and a bunch more away to other boaters.  

We've now turned north and are heading back up the islands and then back to the US. We've been here for 3 months and have just a month and a half left. Time flies way to fucking fast.

Our last anchorage in the Raggeds at Water Cay:

watercay.thumb.jpg.a04302903dbb04a8c8fd33f076b6c420.jpg

Heading northeast to Long Island:

north_to_long.thumb.jpg.45dabd67d8895e6e87c7fcb360f320a8.jpg

13C2AA81-8933-4887-B0AA-B0CA0CCAB882.gif

• 4 weeks later...

So just hauled out for the first time since June 2020, and that was for a survey. I’m almost positive the last time we had a bottom job was almost 4 years ago. And well, it shows. Holy crap.

@fattyflattie like I said on the fishing thread the cockpit and interior are like new. I knew the bottom was a problem but wasn’t expecting this. After the yard sand blasts it my mate is going to hate me for life.

48AB8B3F-2241-4D6C-911C-7136C7D8C1A8.jpeg

BDBE4D51-0031-4100-BA9C-46D71E06962D.jpeg

Had a bit of excitement today that I was not expecting. 13yo was wakeboarding and dropped the rope so I circled back to get him. We get to him and he says he wants to keep going but in the other direction due to getting close to the dam and the water being so cold. I had shut off the engine as I thought he was done and the wind was heavy and was blowing the boat on top of him. I tell the 11yo to get the rope so I don't run over it and of course he can't pay attention to anything for more than ten seconds and starts talking about how crowded the lake is and we should keep going to the damn. I ask him if the rope is good and he says yes so I back up to get away from 13 year old and end up running over the rope and it gets stuck in the propeller. 

Go to the glove box to get the knife and of course it's not there. 13yo tries to untangle but can't, so I get in the water and immediately go into shock/can't breathe due to the water being so cold so get out. 13yo starts cutting the rope using channel locks.

We're about 30 feet from a dock of a nice house and several people were on the dock so I told the 11yo to go swim to the dock and ask the guy if we can borrow a knife. Guy on the dock asks if we want to instead get the boat on his lift and I gladly accept. By the time they got their boat out of the lift we drifted about 100 yards down so he ended up getting his jet ski and towed me over. 

We get the boat up on the lift, I get in the water and make my way around and the rope is only around one propeller blade and twisted. In less than a minute I have it untangled and off the propeller, but of course it's already ruined by my kid trying to cut it so it's trashed. I ask how I can repay the dude and he says you can't do a thing for me, just pay it forward and help someone else out with boat trouble. So someone somewhere has help coming from me without question, not that I wouldn't have done it anyway. 

Looked through the truck and garage and can't find my knife I keep on the boat, now starting to wonder if some kids in the neighborhood swiped it.

Realize now the biggest mistake I made was not dropping anchor immediately once I knew the rope was tangled, we could have easily washed up on dirt or into a boat dock. Second is not making sure I have a knife on board at all times. Third is not telling kid to be quiet and mind the rope. 

• Hook 'Em 3

A few years back we had a guy blow his boat to smithereens from this.
https://www.pilotonline.com/news/article_cd1d9ae5-f916-535f-9109-1a739ffc558d.html

My ancient boat is one of the last using CNG (compressed natural gas) which is a huge hemmeroid to do tank exchanges as they are more and more difficult to find, but gas is lighter than air so I don't even have a blower on board.

Headed to Catalina tomorrow for the first time in 8 months. Criminal that it has been that long. Guys' trip Tomorrow I'm taking mine solo and buddy boating with my lifelong bud and another lifelong bud on his Catalina 30 to Whites Landing. His first trip on his boat to the island. Then our other buddy is bringing his Cabo 48 on Saturday with some other friends to fish all day Saturday. Gonna be epic. 3 boats between 7 people. But Whites is pretty epic. And my Cabo 48 bud is a member of the Balboa Yacht Club so we'll bocce ball and wutnot at the end of the day. I've known all of these guys for anywhere from 40-49 years. Should be pretty spectacular.
Classing it up on board right now and this is where we're headed.e5f2afd2bcd389df56952f8be88b96b4.jpg
7ed2d57e2aedb52e9a2e2fb149295f51.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:
Headed to Catalina tomorrow for the first time in 8 months. Criminal that it has been that long. Guys' trip Tomorrow I'm taking mine solo and buddy boating with my lifelong bud and another lifelong bud on his Catalina 30 to Whites Landing. His first trip on his boat to the island. Then our other buddy is bringing his Cabo 48 on Saturday with some other friends to fish all day Saturday. Gonna be epic. 3 boats between 7 people. But Whites is pretty epic. And my Cabo 48 bud is a member of the Balboa Yacht Club so we'll bocce ball and wutnot at the end of the day. I've known all of these guys for anywhere from 40-49 years. Should be pretty spectacular.
Classing it up on board right now and this is where we're headed.e5f2afd2bcd389df56952f8be88b96b4.jpg

And you made fun of me and my “dress pants”?   Lol. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

My ancient boat is one of the last using CNG (compressed natural gas) which is a huge hemmeroid to do tank exchanges as they are more and more difficult to find, but gas is lighter than air so I don't even have a blower on board.

How was y’all’s marlin season this year? CR was epic because the water stayed cool all winter and spring. We only caught 2 stripes but the blues stayed all season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

How was y’all’s marlin season this year? CR was epic because the water stayed cool all winter and spring. We only caught 2 stripes but the blues stayed all season.

@Sbbruin Edit- shit last year. I’ve been in warm weather so long this year it seems like I’ve already been through a summer.

Edited by justhookit

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

@Sbbruin Edit- shit last year. I’ve been in warm weather so long this year it seems like I’ve already been through a summer.

I didn’t do the trip this year, but hopefully in the fall.  My Cabo 48 bud is pulling into Newport on Sunday and headed straight to the airport and flying down to Cabo.   Last time we buddy boated with a guy who has a Cabo 40 and he has it in Cabo now so that’s where he’s headed.  Jealous.  Is your boat still in CR?

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I didn’t do the trip this year, but hopefully in the fall.  My Cabo 48 bud is pulling into Newport on Sunday and headed straight to the airport and flying down to Cabo.   Last time we buddy boated with a guy who has a Cabo 40 and he has it in Cabo now so that’s where he’s headed.  Jealous.  Is your boat still in CR?

Yeah it’s still in CR but just went on the market officially. If it sells quick I might be boatless for a bit. Not a lot on the market right now and it’s all high. Hopefully I can find something after the summer season is over.

17 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm guessing your Cabo 48 friend is the same one with the ridiculous house in Utah?