The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Has anybody else’s wife seen an amoeba (Naegleria fowleri) related story in years past and had an irrational freakout? Mine saw one on facebook last year about a girl swimming in a warm creek in the Carolinas or Ga last summer that got it and was sick with worry that our kids were going to get it. I did my research and explained to her that that’s a worry in stagnant/pond type water, not really with lake water, and even so, the risk is about 1/5 that of getting struck by lightning (if I remember correctly). Statistically speaking, driving from the house to the boat ramp is more risky. Still, she never really got over it last year and was trying to get the kids to wear nose plugs. Hopefully she’s over it this year.

53 minutes ago, 686 said:

What’s the water clarity like? do you have to watch for stumps?

Clarity is "silty."

Yes.  You have to watch for stumps if you don't know the channels.  The only thing I've ever hit is a broken off channel marker on the "big lake," but that was in someone else's boat.

It's best to visit there with someone who is familiar first.  If not, and you are in the neighborhood, PM me, and I'll send you a google channel map of the Big Cypress Bayou I made.

• Like 1

I’ll do holiday weekends bc that’s what friends want but I prefer warm weeknights and Friday afternoons. Lake Travis is almost completely empty and you can do what you want.

I worked at Lakeway the summers of 99 and 2000. We’d drop my bosses boat in the water at 6:45, fill the sacks and the cooler with any beer we found on the rent boats and head out as soon as we were closed. Go out of the marina, turn left and hug the cliff right past the boat ramp. We rode from 7:15 to 9:15. Saw a ton of sunsets and had some great times on that lake.
  • Like 2

I worked at Lakeway the summers of 99 and 2000. We’d drop my bosses boat in the water at 6:45, fill the sacks and the cooler with any beer we found on the rent boats and head out as soon as we were closed. Go out of the marina, turn left and hug the cliff right past the boat ramp. We rode from 7:15 to 9:15. Saw a ton of sunsets and had some great times on that lake.

Man that’s exactly it.

I have a couple friends with those Yamahas and like them. Takes some getting use to for docking and trailering, but no winterizing appently.

I've never run in to very shallow water at LBJ, but I grew up on boats inshore on the Texas coast so shallow is relative I guess.

There are all sorts of financing options in boats, but it would suck to have a payment, in my case, for something i use 50 days at best a year.

If you're new to boating, go used. I bump in to shit and worse all the time which would suck in a brand new financed boat. Quality boats last a long time if they are maintained properly.

Seriously considering a new boat for our family's lake house. Leaning Yamaha or another jet (shallow LBJ). Anyone bought one before? What kind of financing terms can i expect?
any other suggestions? Used a better way to go?

When I was looking for used boats several years ago, there were a good number of Yamahas on craigslist, so you might check there, that will also give you a glimpse of resale/depreciation. The Yamahas I’m familiar with have two engines, so kind of double the maintenance in some ways. I remember seeing some listed with engines out.

FYI You can’t really set jet boats up for surfing (from what folks have told me).

Is the water shallow by your place or are you just worried about LBJ in general?

On 4/2/2018 at 7:42 PM, Brew said:

That’s the market I’m shopping in as well. I’ve been looking at Ranger/Parhfinder/Sea Hunt BXBR/Sportsman and off and on at Robalo Caymans. I’m looking for one to use in the river locally and on the coast several times a year.

We have had a a Blue Wave and Sea Hunt. Surprisingly I don’t miss the Blue Wave at all. The sea hunt has been an amazing boat so far. 

Personally, I’m not a fan of the Yamaha’s. Buy a jet ski if you want a jet ski, buy a boat if you want a boat. Inboards and I/O’s are much more useful boats if you’re pulling things and will have much better fuel consumption numbers. I would go by a pontoon before buying a Yamaha boat. However, try a few out and if that’s what you want then get one. Boats are like guns and tracks, people have their personal preferences.

As far as financing, banks will pretty much go as far out as you want on one.

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We have had a a Blue Wave and Sea Hunt. Surprisingly I don’t miss the Blue Wave at all. The sea hunt has been an amazing boat so far. 

I like the BX 22 BR. Just need to make a decision at some point and get something. I was hoping to get something before our two week trip in May, but I may wait and look around while we are at the coast.

On 4/7/2018 at 9:17 PM, 686 said:

When I was looking for used boats several years ago, there were a good number of Yamahas on craigslist, so you might check there, that will also give you a glimpse of resale/depreciation. The Yamahas I’m familiar with have two engines, so kind of double the maintenance in some ways. I remember seeing some listed with engines out.

FYI You can’t really set jet boats up for surfing (from what folks have told me).

Is the water shallow by your place or are you just worried about LBJ in general?

Shallow where I live and that lake is just really shallow in general. Unlike most lakes where you hit dirt, on LBJ you can hit granite which is no bueno with a prop.

From my post upthread, no one has any experience getting their prop re-worked?  Figured this would be common on the lakes?
This was my first one and I guess I was just expecting more, especially from a reputable shop. 

My prop could probably use some work, but most of the wake/surf guys I hear from just buy new props when they bend one up; and aren’t looking for the top end you’re looking for, so I don’t have any info; sorry.

We had our prop redone at Nettle.   Took one in that was bent to hell, and they gave it back looking like a brand new prop.

Now, as for yours, I can't say too much.  Seems like they took some pitch out of your prop, but I can't really attest to their methods.  I only have good things to say about Nettle, as I've never really gone through the benchmarking process with our boat and prop.  Don't trust the speedo, wind varies too much, as well as the chop.

Out this weekend, 15 knot south wind, gulf was rolling 2-3ft.

Coming out of the Marco river this guy followed us right off the stern for a few minutes, there was actually a young calf as well, you can kind of make it out just to the upper left.

From the cuts on the dorsal fin it seems it may have gotten too close to other boats in the past.

e87a1a879e66e3eef3c20bb885d1605d.jpg

Edited by Ogie Ogilthorpe
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Now, as for yours, I can't say too much.  Seems like they took some pitch out of your prop, but I can't really attest to their methods.  I only have good things to say about Nettle, as I've never really gone through the benchmarking process with our boat and prop.  Don't trust the speedo, wind varies too much, as well as the chop.

That’s what has me all fucked up. I’m not over revving like he took out pitch. It’s a 26 and I can swing a 27 to WOT, so I thought maybe they added some pitch. But it’s considerably slower (relatively) and it runs same RPM as before. Just odd as it was in good/very good condition when dropped off, and came back worse.  It’ll be relegated to a backup soon. I’ll give him a call. Should have went to Hood instead I guess. $300 burned  

I’ve never had a speedo on boat, everything is GPS speeds. I have a pretty good feel for propping in general, this particular boat has about 30 hours of prop testing through its life, looking for those last few mph. But I’ve always had new props, never “freshened up”. 

Fwiw my 28B1xs still runs what it always has so motor/hull seem to be constant. 

Just bought my first boat today. Yeah, it’s an old man party barge tritoon. So I’m almost embarrassed to say it is a “boat”. But it floats. Bought my lake house a year ago in April and felt it wholly inappropriate to not own a boat. On a lake. And I wanted something that would accommodate a dozen folks, be reasonably comfortable at that number, and provide a “home base” for swimming and mooring my jet skis. Went with a Sweetwater 22 footer with the 27” upgraded tritoon package (and whopping 45 gallon capacity) for added stability. And packaged it with a 150 hp ETEC and ski setup for some added fun and versatility. Hope I don’t regret it. Was leaning a wakesurfer/ski setup Malibu. But thought this was more practical for what it will be used for majority of the time. 

Will post pics once I take delivery. Boat house is old, far too small (single slip) and in serious disrepair, so building a new one now. Won’t be able to get it out and in the water until that is finished. So i guess i put the boat before the boathouse, or something like that. 

Still excited. For now. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Just bought my first boat today. Yeah, it’s an old man party barge tritoon...

Make friends with somebody that has a wake boat and you guys will have a nice flotilla going. 

Also, welcome to the party, pal! : )

money-pit.jpg

Edited by 686

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

Just bought my first boat today. Yeah, it’s an old man party barge tritoon. So I’m almost embarrassed to say it is a “boat”. But it floats. Bought my lake house a year ago in April and felt it wholly inappropriate to not own a boat. On a lake. And I wanted something that would accommodate a dozen folks, be reasonably comfortable at that number, and provide a “home base” for swimming and mooring my jet skis. Went with a Sweetwater 22 footer with the 27” upgraded tritoon package (and whopping 45 gallon capacity) for added stability. And packaged it with a 150 hp ETEC and ski setup for some added fun and versatility. Hope I don’t regret it. Was leaning a wakesurfer/ski setup Malibu. But thought this was more practical for what it will be used for majority of the time. 

Will post pics once I take delivery. Boat house is old, far too small (single slip) and in serious disrepair, so building a new one now. Won’t be able to get it out and in the water until that is finished. So i guess i put the boat before the boathouse, or something like that. 

Still excited. For now. 

Congrats!

And condolences!

They are doing some crazy things with the Toons these days. There is one on Lake Travis with triple 300s on it, that sucker is huge and will fly. There are quite a few with twins, most with 200s or 250s on them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There’s a tricked out pontoon in the slip next to mine and it looks like a lot of fun. Tons of space to chill out and the seating looks posh and with a TV set up I might want to be on the boat in the water every game weather permitting

Like 686 suggested, I have a friend with a 24' pontoon that serves as the center of our flotilla, it's awesome.  Several other friends have runabouts and wakeboard boats, so we've always got a variety of options and activities.  The pontoon has two grills so we never have to break up to go eat, or bother with cold sandwiches.  It's a nice setup.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, G650 said:

Getting a pontoon boat is easy, all you have to do is give up all your self respect.

Pontoons are awesome. I pull mine out into the cove and then get a ride on the jet ski back to get the wakeboard boat. The pontoon serves as the floating dock where the kids can eat, hang out on, jump off of,  the women stay on it, etc and it keeps all that shit off my wakeboard boat.

1 minute ago, Brew said:

Pontoons are awesome. I pull mine out into the cove and then get a ride on the jet ski back to get the wakeboard boat. The pontoon serves as the floating dock where the kids can eat, hang out on, jump off of,  the women stay on it, etc and it keeps all that shit off my wakeboard boat.

You are not improving your argument here.

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

You are not improving your argument here.

There is no argument, a pontoon is perfect if you have kids, carry a bunch of people, etc. I’m on my 6th or 7th wakeboard boat and if I could only have one boat at this point it would be a pontoon. I don’t have to worry about dogs on it, kids eating on it, pulling it into the beach, etc. Luckily, I don’t have to choose and have multiple boats. I’m closing in on 40, my water activities have changed.