The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

This guy's rotor wash was taking up 100% of the marked channel on the way back in from a mid week fishing trip. Not sure what the maritime navigation rules say about this situation. We had plenty of tide to ride around clear of the rotor wash on the flats. It was training and there was nobody actually in the water. d3ecc3343d1f120c526f4d6db6fd1fc0.jpg

In a nut shell, Military vessels can do what ever the fuck they want, operate anywhere, AND don't need to be lit or marked...  Easiest maritime rule of the "road"   Everything else is so structured and detailed.... then there's a section that's like "Oh all this other shit you just learned...  these dudes don't have to follow that at all.  Just keep your eyes peeled and try real hard not to get fucked if they are around"

If you haven't read the colregs enjoy:   https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=NavRulesAmalgamated

I found that frequently Coasties & other on the water law enforcement rarely know the details of the regs.   95% are young guys on a RiB and just want to conduct courtesy PFD inspections on the boats with the smallest bikinis.

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

Progress. We had a snafu with Harken Italy delivering the pedestal, but I think we've gotten that sorted well enough to stay on schedule. They also had a heater break, so that set us back on the hull, but they flopped the labor to the deck, so hopefully that's a wash.

Deck-Laminate.jpg

Hulldebulk.jpg

keelhead.jpg

rudder.jpg

winchbuckets.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/28/2018 at 2:39 PM, G650 said:

Progress. We had a snafu with Harken Italy delivering the pedestal, but I think we've gotten that sorted well enough to stay on schedule. They also had a heater break, so that set us back on the hull, but they flopped the labor to the deck, so hopefully that's a wash.

Deck-Laminate.jpg

Hulldebulk.jpg

keelhead.jpg

rudder.jpg

winchbuckets.jpg

I didn't go back in the thread so I don't know if you've posted about it before, but is this a boat owned by a racing consortium/crew  you are part of or is it yours personally?    All those vac bagged CF parts seem to add up to the most Surly 1%er thing posted on this place.  Looks awesome.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, davidg said:

I didn't go back in the thread so I don't know if you've posted about it before, but is this a boat owned by a racing consortium/crew  you are part of or is it yours personally?    All those vac bagged CF parts seem to add up to the most Surly 1%er thing posted on this place.  Looks awesome.

Well considering his handle is "Gulfstream 650" something tells me he is more Surly .01%.

Yes, I'm having it built.

I know I've mentioned this before, maybe on the shag but not the surl, but the G650 handle was just a joke from the old site during the heyday of flight tracking the Nick Saban saga. I do not have a G650, or have any particular desire for one to be honest. Did a lot of soul searching even on getting another boat, the older I get, the simpler my wants are. Definitely did not want to stop sailing, but someone gave an offer that couldn't be refused on the last boat, so one more go round with a new boat.

To be honest I kind of want to get a fast cruiser, a Swan 80 or something, and just chill. Maybe after this one is done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Yes, I'm having it built.

I know I've mentioned this before, maybe on the shag but not the surl, but the G650 handle was just a joke from the old site during the heyday of flight tracking the Nick Saban saga. I do not have a G650, or have any particular desire for one to be honest. Did a lot of soul searching even on getting another boat, the older I get, the simpler my wants are. Definitely did not want to stop sailing, but someone gave an offer that couldn't be refused on the last boat, so one more go round with a new boat.

To be honest I kind of want to get a fast cruiser, a Swan 80 or something, and just chill. Maybe after this one is done.

Correction.  Surly .001%

• Like 2

10 hours ago, davidg said:

Yeah, but what kind of wake does it put out?

• Like 2

I guess this is one way to cross oceans.

https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-tourism/stories/cross-atlantic-barrel-savin?fbclid=IwAR2qqJLb4bp8tfFt0BKLr7ccJJ4bsw8oyVOUlVPJW_C0sDdBFcomJ7l5P1g

If all goes well, 71-year-old Jean-Jacques Savin will raise a glass of white wine to the fish on New Year's Eve.

The native of France set sail — or we should say set afloat — from Spain's Canary Islands this week.

His vessel? It's a 10-foot long reinforced barrel, according to Savin's website. With a small porthole, of course, where Savin can commune with the passing fish. The former military paratrooper hopes to cross the Atlantic in three months, washing up on the shores of some Caribbean island.

He would, naturally, prefer that island to be under French control.

"That would be easier for the paperwork and for bringing the barrel back," he reportedly told AFP in a phone interview.

Along the way, Savin's bright orange capsule will leave a trail of markers behind, as way to help scientists learn more about ocean currents.

And if Savin is going to accomplish his mission, he's going to have to rely entirely on those currents. According to his calculations, they should bear his resin-coated capsule all 2,800 miles across the sea.

"The weather is great," he told AFP. "I've got a swell of one metre (about 3 feet) and I'm moving at 2 to 3 kilometres per hour; I've got favourable winds forecast until Sunday."

The journey — the orca-proof barrel cost around $68,000 — was mostly financed through crowdsourcing. That may seem like a lot for a precariously simple vessel. But this is no ordinary barrel. Its 20 square feet of living space is crammed with enough food, including a block of foie gras and a bottle of wine, to last him months at sea.

There's also a battery of solar panels to keep his communications equipment running, as well as the capsule's vital GPS marker — lest Savin find himself caught in some infinite bobble in the middle of the ocean.

The barrel's plywood exterior is also sturdy enough to stave off attacks from predators and even the most powerful waves. But how do you stave off the loneliness of spending the new year in a tiny capsule on the great blue sea?

Well, that's where the bottle of wine may come in handy. And that porthole gazing into the depths. Just an old man and the sea.

You can follow the ups and downs of Savin's odyssey across the sea on his Facebook page.

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Pulled into Ballast Point Brewery in time to catch OT. Rams, Baby!
7d78d8a9ca7a56faf61d7ba3d66f8c45.jpgQ

I’ve read your posts about your boat before and know you’ve been doing this forever, but I have a couple of questions:  are you handling that boat solo, and if so, how long would it take someone who has never sailed before to become competent enough to sail something that size solo?

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve read your posts about your boat before and know you’ve been doing this forever, but I have a couple of questions:  are you handling that boat solo, and if so, how long would it take someone who has never sailed before to become competent enough to sail something that size solo?

Hard to say.  I’ve been doing it so long that I prefer it solo as people just tend to get in the way.  But as long as you have a healthy respect for what the weather is throwing at you, then not that long.  But ALWAYS wear a harness and pfd.  You go over by yourself and you are dead.  No ifs, ands or buts.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Adding to @Sbbruin, you also would want to make sure you have a boat with systems for single handing. Trying to handle something without takes an entirely different level of skill, and it's not really super dependent on boat size.

Can you elaborate on this (to a super novice, but who's really looking to learn in the coming year)?  Navigation?  Electrical systems? 

3 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Can you elaborate on this (to a super novice, but who's really looking to learn in the coming year)?  Navigation?  Electrical systems? 

Sail handling systems such as lazy jacks for the main, roller furler for headsails, autopilot, even electric winches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I know squat about go fast carbon boats. How thick is the hull? Is it solid everywhere?

It's cored. So there is an inner skin and outer skin, with foam core in the middle. Much lighter and stiffer than a solid laminate. It's about 1.5 inches thick overall in the hull, just under an inch for the deck

1 hour ago, Clackles said:

Amazing.  That is a ton of carbon fiber.  I know this isn’t your first rodeo with these, would be curious to know how the cost of the carbon has changed from your previous build(s) to this one?

Since the last one in 2011, not a ton. I don't know the specific per yard cost of the fabric, but the hull cost has not changed greatly. If I took a WAG I'd say like 10%