The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

It's pretty difficult to find a ramp that does drop off rapidly, most of the country just doesn't have them because of geography. Powerboats generally have it very easy, smaller sailboats have issues ramp launching whatsoever because of draft.

9 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

I think this is what I found before...

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#17.32/30.29804/-97.78279

Definitely not as steep a drop off as the ramp at Mansfield dam

In the Spring of 1962 I dropped my set of car/house keys about 25 yards out & to the left a bit from Walsh boat ramp. The next winter when Lake Austin was lowered, I trudged around in the mud looking for them unsuccessfully. Would've called the metal detector guy from Sh***y (Neptune?) to help search, but he probably hadn't been born yet.

Surly 1%'er post coming up.

Long story short, Mrs. FromTheMailRoom has decided she wants a higher end, large boat.  This is something completely out of my wheelhouse, so I need a little guidance.  She want's something 75 ft+ that has a motor and not a sail.  Something with 2+ cabins in case we wanted to stay on it overnight and needs to be freshwater.  

Does anyone have any experience with this?  She said freshwater but I think putting it on Lake Travis is a terrible idea.   Does it make sense to have something like that in the gulf?  Is it something best to go through a manufacturer for or is there some type of brokerage that could possibly locate one?  What kind of things should I be looking for?

No you're not getting pictures of my wife.  

19 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Long story short, Mrs. FromTheMailRoom has decided she wants a higher end, large boat.  This is something completely out of my wheelhouse, so I need a little guidance.  She want's something 75 ft+ that has a motor and not a sail.  Something with 2+ cabins in case we wanted to stay on it overnight and needs to be freshwater.  

Does anyone have any experience with this?  She said freshwater but I think putting it on Lake Travis is a terrible idea.   Does it make sense to have something like that in the gulf?  Is it something best to go through a manufacturer for or is there some type of brokerage that could possibly locate one?  What kind of things should I be looking for?

Sounds more 10%er to me.

Also a 75 foot boat in Lake Travis is hilarious.

Seriously though, what is your legitimate experience with boats?

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

So, I hear this thing might be coming available soon.  It would look great docked at the Emerald Point marina...

Edited by utee94

Nice night on lake travis at the gnarly. That's more like .0001 brag then a 1% er. There are some big boats out here, but please don't drive by my dock with that thing. If you have the means, I'd keep it Florida where you could go over to the Bahamas on it. That big would be a waste on Travis. You don't need 75ft for 2 cabins & to be able to sleep on it. Look at the 45-50 ft Searays - lots of those out here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice night on lake travis at the gnarly. That's more like .0001 brag then a 1% er. There are some big boats out here, but please don't drive by my dock with that thing. If you have the means, I'd keep it Florida where you could go over to the Bahamas on it. That big would be a waste on Travis. You don't need 75ft for 2 cabins & to be able to sleep on it. Look at the 45-50 ft Searays - lots of those out here   Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. 

I wouldn’t even keep it in Texas. I’d actually take it to San Diego but his idea of florida for the Bahamas is really intriguing.

I’ve spent many a day and night dreaming of a fishing yacht and the truth is it’s so much cheaper to rent what I want, when I want it. Unlike women actually.

Now I may buy in San Diego when my kids are grown but I would live there for a year or two.

Nice night on lake travis at the gnarly. That's more like .0001 brag then a 1% er. There are some big boats out here, but please don't drive by my dock with that thing. If you have the means, I'd keep it Florida where you could go over to the Bahamas on it. That big would be a waste on Travis. You don't need 75ft for 2 cabins & to be able to sleep on it. Look at the 45-50 ft Searays - lots of those out here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in town tonight and my old boat is being worked on and my new one isn’t here yet, but I just looked over and said, “damn, it’s Friday night we should be on the lake!” She said, “yeah.”

Truth is we all on this thread have it right. I’m convinced, especially when folks ask me why on earth am I out at the lake. Jesus people, do you even party on the water bro?

7 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

For the record a ‘75 foot boat is a pretty broad range and can go anywhere from a shaggy 10%er to a shaggy a .00001%er. They are very specific to the use you are looking for and where you plan to use it. I know a number of people that run 75+ foot Sumerset/Fantasy/Horizon’s which are perfect for lake/river use and can be had in the low to mid 6 figures. If you are looking for Gulf use, you’re looking for something completely different and need a big budget. Then the size depends completely on the style you are looking for. You could get two berths in the 50 foot range if you look at trawlers like Ocean Alexander’s and similar styles and find them in the mid 6 figures. If you want to cover more ground more quickly, you’ve got to go up in size for the same interior space and your budget will get into 7 figures quickly.

Also, if your boating background is limited or you have no big boat experience, don’t even think about stepping into that size boat. If you’re on the lake/river you can find a 40 foot Gibson that will break you in much easier and serve your needs for a while.

7 hours ago, Brew said:

For the record a ‘75 foot boat is a pretty broad range and can go anywhere from a shaggy 10%er to a shaggy a .00001%er. They are very specific to the use you are looking for and where you plan to use it. I know a number of people that run 75+ foot Sumerset/Fantasy/Horizon’s which are perfect for lake/river use and can be had in the low to mid 6 figures. If you are looking for Gulf use, you’re looking for something completely different and need a big budget. Then the size depends completely on the style you are looking for. You could get two berths in the 50 foot range if you look at trawlers like Ocean Alexander’s and similar styles and find them in the mid 6 figures. If you want to cover more ground more quickly, you’ve got to go up in size for the same interior space and your budget will get into 7 figures quickly.

A decent 75 foot yacht is about 3 million dollars minimum for a gently used one, and a full time crew of 3 and costs about half a million a year to run. On top of that you physically couldn't get one to Lake Travis.

A Horizon is also basically a floating piece of Tupperware. With my conversations with GFTMR, I'm pretty sure he is looking for something a little different.

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

A decent 75 foot yacht is about 3 million dollars minimum for a gently used one, and a full time crew of 3 and costs about half a million a year to run. On top of that you physically couldn't get one to Lake Travis.

A Horizon is also basically a floating piece of Tupperware. With my conversations with GFTMR, I'm pretty sure he is looking for something a little different.

Which was my point that a 75 foot boat doesn’t tell you anything. That’s anywhere from less than a $100k used houseboat you can run yourself on a lake/river to bumping 8 figures for a new Viking convertible. Where do you want to use it, do you want to run it yourself, is 75 ft pulled out of the air or is there a reason behind it, etc? If cabin space is the main thing and you are looking for gulf use, you can get a 50ish foot OA Pilothouse that will have three berths and be much easier to deal with.

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

Which was my point that a 75 foot boat doesn’t tell you anything. That’s anywhere from less than a $100k used houseboat you can run yourself on a lake/river to bumping 8 figures for a new Viking convertible. Where do you want to use it, do you want to run it yourself, is 75 ft pulled out of the air or is there a reason behind it, etc? If cabin space is the main thing and you are looking for gulf use, you can get a 50ish foot OA Pilothouse that will have three berths and be much easier to deal with.

I agree.

So back to the question, give us some more details. It's always fun to spend other people's money.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m not a fan of jet boats. They have their uses, but for where I’m at I can’t see it. However, if I was going to buy one I think I would go with manufacturers that have been in the jet boat market for a long time although that Open series is interesting.

On 4/22/2018 at 9:49 PM, Goofyboy said:

Damn, I love that boat. 1000 lbs of steel and full ballast and that has the best wake I’ve ever hit. There is an all yellow one somewhere in Central Texas. It used to be a buddies boat here in Houston. I loved riding that boat.

Like classic cars, the new ones just don’t have the look and style of the older ones. The 90’s into the early 00’s were the best years for wakeboard boats with the SAN’s and 205’s. Everything is too angular and busy now and the new windshields and towers just aren’t my thing. It’s why I went backwards on boats and bought an X-1.