The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

9 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

Ha, I thought that might be you a little after 7 headed towards the cliffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir! Turned out to be a real nice night to be out.  I think we’re gonna spend the end of June and all of July out there at least.  

• Like 1

Meeting my BIL and his wife tomorrow who are moving to her home town of Lafayette, Louisiana in 2 weeks down at their place in San Clemente tomorrow.  God help him.  He’s a Trumper, so he should fit in ok, but he’s been a So Cal kid for for 60 years.  I think culture shock is headed his way.  We went to his wedding in Lafayette a couple years ago which was fun and interesting (full of super hot women I must say). but figured I’d stop on my way down to prep for Catalina for the 4th of July.  So nice down here.

1E23F745-4F0E-4168-9511-00950E3FE8A9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

What's the sport fishing like out of southern california?  I assume you don't have to run far, but is the fishing any count?  I am going to be out there for work quite a bit the next two years and would like to get some fishing in.  I will be in Orange County.
I go offshore in the gulf pretty frequent, but not like you do.  I have friends with a 38 foot cat hull center console they keep in storage in Freeport.  We leave at night and slow steam out to save fuel while taking turns sleeping on the bean bags.  We usually run 120 or so miles out to the floaters or go to Flower Gardens.  We always catch a lot of fish as we only go when conditions are good.  But man it would be nice to not have to run far offshore.  First time I ever fished offshore not in the Gulf was Kona.  And I think we may have gone out 5 miles at most.
Depends what you are looking to target. I know the yellowfin have been making their way up to Southern California waters in recent years.

3 hours ago, dlatin said:

We rented this boat for 10 days in July weather permitting…it was new being built and they’ve taken delivery and finally posted some actual photos. Looks great!
5eb2c4a799fecb6934b474cbc3fd4c9b.jpg

9d4a56d4f39e5dc7ca6d5c6c9f94a2eb.jpg
466fbda1bceec1c7343457f944da69eb.jpg
76de5fbb3b976af86956c59b19ebc990.jpg
2a800a0fa3d0dc033de63e36bad53399.jpg
f3da08f00b51f8d380f3cf544a8e096e.jpg
57a0045d28ec852fcfbd237ecb5e8a34.jpg
94d2f5675d06949bc577b4992e3219ae.jpg

https://www.virginislandsyachtcharters.com/ndoto

Very much my speed.  Can’t wait to hear about it from your trip!

we are chartering a 45 foot for thanksgiving but it’s a few years old. I do get to take the helm as much as I want but we have a guide/captain and a chef. 

Looking at the big lagoons and leopards for dreaming about a few years in retirement.  We are not yet ruling out monohull either. 

• Like 1

Very much my speed.  Can’t wait to hear about it from your trip!

we are chartering a 45 foot for thanksgiving but it’s a few years old. I do get to take the helm as much as I want but we have a guide/captain and a chef. 
Looking at the big lagoons and leopards for dreaming about a few years in retirement.  We are not yet ruling out monohull either. 

I wish we had a chef!

Came down to ""summerize" the boat- all kayaks, snorkeling gear, fishing gear, SUP, etc on board. Also repainted the bow of the dinghy as it had some wear spots. Fam coming in the am for Fathers Day. I think I'll do this tonight (also have a prime filet for dinner later).
2ef7c00c3151997c4cced072af6983f5.jpg
5cd057e1663230bd5ca62bb126af1b6f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Came down to ""summerize" the boat- all kayaks, snorkeling gear, fishing gear, SUP, etc on board. Also repainted the bow of the dinghy as it had some wear spots. Fam coming in the am for Fathers Day. I think I'll do this tonight (also have a prime filet for dinner later).
2ef7c00c3151997c4cced072af6983f5.jpg
5cd057e1663230bd5ca62bb126af1b6f.jpg

You live well.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got out for the first time this weekend and ran through all the break in procedures. Also had the fun experience of spending 3 hours mounting the Bimini and frame. Printed included instructions have gotten really shitty over the last few years. I guess they figure everyone just goes straight to YouTube. That works great unless you’re on my lake with no cell reception. Need to get some pictures next weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m looking to figure out a long board for wake surfing and not sure if I should buy 6 foot or true ocean water 9 foot. Brands etc. I have two boards now one is a mini ocean board the other is a more traditional wake surf board. Folks who surf long boards swear by them. Any thoughts? 

I like the shorter boards. The one I use is maybe nearing too small for me, my bro-in-law surfs a longer board, maybe 5’9”. It’s better for bigger guys but I find it too fast for my taste. I should try it again to see if I like it. I couldn’t imagine going 9’.

13 hours ago, dlatin said:

I like the shorter boards. The one I use is maybe nearing too small for me, my bro-in-law surfs a longer board, maybe 5’9”. It’s better for bigger guys but I find it too fast for my taste. I should try it again to see if I like it. I couldn’t imagine going 9’.

Talked to a surfer friend of mine he was 6’ not 9’ for wakesurfing. We got our second board this week will try it out tomorrow.  Probably going to by a long board to make it three total.

Shit, that sucks. Reminds me of one of my stories. We used to travel a lot for work. When there was a lake nearby, I would drive and pull the boat so we could go out at night. Probably 15 years ago we were out on one of those trips and me and one of the other guys that was with us were wakeboarding together. One of the girls swore she could drive the boat. She proceeded to cut across two wakeboard lines and wrap them up around 6:30. We tried flagging people down and got nowhere so we swam it into a wooded shore area. The other guy that was with us held the front of the boat and we worked on the lines with nail clippers one of the girls had. The guy in the front took the cooler with him and proceeded to get shitfaced drunk while we spent two hours undoing the mess. At some point we realized after it had gotten dark that we were drifting. The dumbass in the front was gone. He had decided to take off walking through the woods barefoot with beers stuffed in his life jacket. We got everything cleared by 9 and spent another 30 minutes trying to get him back to the boat. It was a clusterfuck.

Later that week the same guy was shitfaced again but this time at the strip club. He was sitting at the stage throwing bills at every dancer and didn’t realize until the next day he was throwing 10’s and 20’s. He still had his stack of 1’s he took. He had a drinking problem.

• Haha 2

OK I know I post a lot of pics from my slip, but this is when I get to chill. Headed to Catalina on Thursday and told the wife I needed to get down here to prep for the trip- fuel, water, water toys, yada yada. She promised me she and the daughter would be back from quincinera (sp?) with one of her best friends around noon so I could get down here to do my thing. Of course, as is my wife's MO, she pulls in the driveway at 4. By the time I hit the market and get to the boat it's almost 6. But I'm also supposed to be home by 10 to deal with the puppy. When the F am I supposed to deal with the boat? Plus the marine plumber re-did some plumbing (including replacing the stinky ass vent line and installing a charcoal in-line filter to de-stinkify the head) so shit was all tore up. So I bought some more time tomorrow to deal. But the reality is while I was waiting for them last weekend to go Father's Day sailing, I pretty much dealt with everything. So I have maybe 30-45 minutes of shit to deal with. But she thinks I'll be busting ass so I got that going for me, which is nice. So now:
2428af94ea773d284841e95e951265a7.jpg
7210c4d85598203aa10334fef93e8efd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Happens to the best of us. First order of business when I get back to my lake house is cut the rope out of my jet ski intake.

Well I was a bit distracted.  It wasn’t the game so much though as it was the wind and drift. 

2516DA9A-B86F-4E76-BAA5-834256AF197C.jpeg

the line was probably wrapped around the shaft 2 maybe 3 times but the wind was brutal we cut the line with the knife we had on board and then tried to yank it - didn’t work. Drifted quickly, holy crap headed toward the cliffs.

shit. The cliffs. We were up the channel just past Briarcliff marina. It was looking dire. The boat was picking up speed and we were going to get thrown on the rocks.  

I was really sweating bullets. So I did the stupid thing and hoped I could put it in gear and get out from the cliffs. I knew it was dumb. That really wrapped the line. 

now I’m 30 feet from the cliffs. Those that don’t know lake Travis it’s a steep drop to 80-100+ feet from there almost no anchor options. Really I’m fucked. 

qualified capitan here I come. Not a dock mishap, flat out pushed into the rocks. Major damage, insurance claims, worst case a sinker I mean it’s NOT good. 

did the only thing I could. Grabbed the anchor, bit the head off my usually very capable girlfriend and quickly assessed which side of the boat and which angle to drop it after a quick read of the depth. 45, 40, 38… and probably 25 feet from the cliffs. Threw it over the front. It landed and then I tied it off and hell yeah it stuck!!!

winds gusting over 18-20 I’m sure. Held for 2+ hours. The pendulum swing was tight and it had to be with how close we were. We were less than 10 feet from the cliff, 5 from a tree.  Everyone else got drunk I watched the game and watched for drift and the swing. 

E160538F-5773-48BE-B2D6-3393B948C2AF.jpeg

when the tow came and got us out we pulled up the anchor. Heavy as could be. Pulled out a tree. Not a branch, a tree.  Anchored to a tree, probably saved our boat.  Those cliffs are no joke and finding a crevice on the first throw is probably not likely.  Held like a champ. 

ran it out today after the fix. No issues.  What a fucking night. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

Well I was a bit distracted.  It wasn’t the game so much though as it was the wind and drift. 

2516DA9A-B86F-4E76-BAA5-834256AF197C.jpeg

the line was probably wrapped around the shaft 2 maybe 3 times but the wind was brutal we cut the line with the knife we had on board and then tried to yank it - didn’t work. Drifted quickly, holy crap headed toward the cliffs.

shit. The cliffs. We were up the channel just past Briarcliff marina. It was looking dire. The boat was picking up speed and we were going to get thrown on the rocks.  

I was really sweating bullets. So I did the stupid thing and hoped I could put it in gear and get out from the cliffs. I knew it was dumb. That really wrapped the line. 

now I’m 30 feet from the cliffs. Those that don’t know lake Travis it’s a steep drop to 80-100+ feet from there almost no anchor options. Really I’m fucked. 

qualified capitan here I come. Not a dock mishap, flat out pushed into the rocks. Major damage, insurance claims, worst case a sinker I mean it’s NOT good. 

did the only thing I could. Grabbed the anchor, bit the head off my usually very capable girlfriend and quickly assessed which side of the boat and which angle to drop it after a quick read of the depth. 45, 40, 38… and probably 25 feet from the cliffs. Threw it over the front. It landed and then I tied it off and hell yeah it stuck!!!

winds gusting over 18-20 I’m sure. Held for 2+ hours. The pendulum swing was tight and it had to be with how close we were. We were less than 10 feet from the cliff, 5 from a tree.  Everyone else got drunk I watched the game and watched for drift and the swing. 

E160538F-5773-48BE-B2D6-3393B948C2AF.jpeg

when the tow came and got us out we pulled up the anchor. Heavy as could be. Pulled out a tree. Not a branch, a tree.  Anchored to a tree, probably saved our boat.  Those cliffs are no joke and finding a crevice on the first throw is probably not likely.  Held like a champ. 

ran it out today after the fix. No issues.  What a fucking night. 

Had a similar situation occur near the cliffs up towards arkansas bend.  Bad situation.  Line wrapped in the prop, far too fucking deep to throw out an anchor, drifting quickly to the cliffs.  Did the stupid things and jumped in the choppy water and swam under the boat to untangle it.  No life jacket. Boat rocking, heading towards rocks. That thing just needed to come down on my head while I was under and my wife would be cashing some fat life insurance checks. Adrenaline doesn't necessarily make for good decision making. That said, I worked it out and got back on board and cracked another cold one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Had a similar situation occur near the cliffs up towards arkansas bend.  Bad situation.  Line wrapped in the prop, far too fucking deep to throw out an anchor, drifting quickly to the cliffs.  Did the stupid things and jumped in the choppy water and swam under the boat to untangle it.  No life jacket. Boat rocking, heading towards rocks. That thing just needed to come down on my head while I was under and my wife would be cashing some fat life insurance checks. Adrenaline doesn't necessarily make for good decision making. That said, I worked it out and got back on board and cracked another cold one. 

I’m down to one beer per outing and no more than 2-3 at home on a cut loose night. I was thankfully sober as could be. Not sure what I would have done had I been drinking. But Adrenaline is not good for thinking either - maybe about the same actually. It was actually my anchor practicing in sailing classes that helped. Read the wind, picked the right side, didn’t panic, fell back on some of that formal training and saved our ass. 

yeah getting under there is very dangerous. Two of the women did it, but it was after we anchored and there was no boat traffic. It didn’t help. 

Edited by troph

13 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

OK I know I post a lot of pics from my slip, but this is when I get to chill. Headed to Catalina on Thursday and told the wife I needed to get down here to prep for the trip- fuel, water, water toys, yada yada. She promised me she and the daughter would be back from quincinera (sp?) with one of her best friends around noon so I could get down here to do my thing. Of course, as is my wife's MO, she pulls in the driveway at 4. By the time I hit the market and get to the boat it's almost 6. But I'm also supposed to be home by 10 to deal with the puppy. When the F am I supposed to deal with the boat? Plus the marine plumber re-did some plumbing (including replacing the stinky ass vent line and installing a charcoal in-line filter to de-stinkify the head) so shit was all tore up. So I bought some more time tomorrow to deal. But the reality is while I was waiting for them last weekend to go Father's Day sailing, I pretty much dealt with everything. So I have maybe 30-45 minutes of shit to deal with. But she thinks I'll be busting ass so I got that going for me, which is nice. So now:
2428af94ea773d284841e95e951265a7.jpg
7210c4d85598203aa10334fef93e8efd.jpg

I need to talk to you about sailing west coast with my sons next spring break - thinking bareboat charter (hopefully) if I'm experienced enough to catalina then maybe to santa barbara and spend the week on the boat in a marina with two sailing days.  might need a co-captain too unfortunately.  but I do think that's the game plan.

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

You become keenly aware of all lines in the water after one bad experience.

did you see I was distracted with the game?  I did it once before years ago.  this was perfect storm of distraction, wind, drift, wind was bad enough I would have preferred we not go out, and the distraction of friends who don't get out on the lake so their energy was frenetic not calm.  we normally are super chill and it's all in slow motion.  friday night was mayhem.  I'm moving the rope up to the tower too, not my preference but fuck risking sinking the boat because I'm helpless.  wind pushes either to beaches or it pushes to jagged rocks.  not again.

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, troph said:

did you see I was distracted with the game?  I did it once before years ago.  this was perfect storm of distraction, wind, drift, wind was bad enough I would have preferred we not go out, and the distraction of friends who don't get out on the lake so their energy was frenetic not calm.  we normally are super chill and it's all in slow motion.  friday night was mayhem.  I'm moving the rope up to the tower too, not my preference but fuck risking sinking the boat because I'm helpless.  wind pushes either to beaches or it pushes to jagged rocks.  not again.

That looks like a tube rope, if so don’t put it on the tower. That’s a recipe for a problem and also outside of any warranty on the tower if something happens. They aren’t designed for the forces that a tube is going to put on them unless just pulling in a straight line.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

That looks like a tube rope, if so don’t put it on the tower. That’s a recipe for a problem and also outside of any warranty on the tower if something happens. They aren’t designed for the forces that a tube is going to put on them unless just pulling in a straight line.

good to know yeah then i'll move to plan B - no more tubing.  lol.

• Like 1