The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 1/6/2022 at 3:52 PM, troph said:

thanks for the encouragement, truly. like I said, this thread would be hard to give up. one day we need to all get together maybe on bruins boat, 650's goes too fast and mine is still a pipe dream. lando's is a lake boat or his would qualify, brew will be there soon i'm sure. shark's is too skinny some one would get hurt, cajun only likes young girls so me and my old lady are out, plus he's in the middle of nowhere.  maybe we find a spot in the bahamas for land dwellers to hang out and all the boats dock and we just muledick our way around with Jamaican accents, playing bob marley too loud and grab assing like friends from teh internet. I hear there are swimming pigs and cartel planes wrecked in the shallows. sounds like a luxury time to me.

Selling my beach house and trying to decide which way to go now. We’re either going to buy a trawler and keep the lake place or I’m giving up on the cruising lifestyle, selling the lake place, and probably buying a canal front house and a couple of saltwater boats. SWFL real estate prices along with the way the community we were in changing pretty much overnight has us thinking a little bit about where we want to be. We’re going to look around a little outside the US as well before deciding. 

As far as this place, just avoid the high drama boards. Stay off football and out of the clock room and life is a bit simpler. I enjoy the information in Hobbies, Travel, and the business side, everything else is a drive by post.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@Brew We’re checking out the trawlers in puget sound and the San Juan’s in 2023. Pretty stoked about it. 

And re the drama it’s almost that easy. I do feel an obligation to represent from time to time and when I do the haters can’t deal with it, let alone listen so it’s ends up devolving into - in this case - a legit threat of violence. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

Boats, man.  I just found out Ski Dock is no longer an MB dealer and said it would be a year and a half to get me a new cover for my Tomcat on Travis.  I’m tempted to unload it and work on trying to get a new boat for our place in Alaska.  Speaking of which, I’m trying to get a 29’-31’ boat up there and the dealers are saying 12-14 months build time for something like this.  What a time to be alive. 

8EAD57A5-97B6-4854-9F6A-5F8B05F2EDC1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

5 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Boats, man.  I just found out Ski Dock is no longer an MB dealer and said it would be a year and a half to get me a new cover for my Tomcat on Travis.  I’m tempted to unload it and work on trying to get a new boat for our place in Alaska.  Speaking of which, I’m trying to get a 29’-31’ boat up there and the dealers are saying 12-14 months build time for something like this.  What a time to be alive. 

8EAD57A5-97B6-4854-9F6A-5F8B05F2EDC1.jpeg

Where is your place in Alaska?

8EAD57A5-97B6-4854-9F6A-5F8B05F2EDC1.thumb.jpeg.46d9d5cf194ae6093ab47def2d411c8d.jpeg

Oh yeah! You gotta tell us more about this. I watched video a while back of a family who took a pilot house boat like that from Seattle/Vancouver up to Glacier Bay and back. Looked like a fantastic trip. I did a quick search and they were on an Ocean Sport Roamer. Great looking and functional boats for fishing and that type of cruising.

35 minutes ago, davidg said:

Oh yeah! You gotta tell us more about this. I watched video a while back of a family who took a pilot house boat like that from Seattle/Vancouver up to Glacier Bay and back. Looked like a fantastic trip. I did a quick search and they were on an Ocean Sport Roamer. Great looking and functional boats for fishing and that type of cruising.

Holy balls, they packed it all in that trip and absolutely killed it.  Ocean Sports are badass and a surgeon in Juneau keeps one a dock over from our current boat.  

Not sure I’d pick fiberglass over aluminum for up there because we beach ours all the time without a care.  For example, I had just ramped it up on this rocky beach to let my brothers in law out to shoot a Blacktail in this pic.  

75FB5D86-D013-4168-989D-2DB89D536D8F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

13 hours ago, USCATX said:

Juneau, none of that overcrowded Anchorage (the Houston of Alaska) area nonsense.  It’s mostly protected inside waters, but I’ll always be wanting to buy another boat. 

One of my favorite places on earth.  I would love a place up there with a boat like that, but I just wouldn't use it enough.  But fresh halibut, salmon, crab all the time sounds amazing.

32 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

One of my favorite places on earth.  I would love a place up there with a boat like that, but I just wouldn't use it enough.  But fresh halibut, salmon, crab all the time sounds amazing.

None of this makes any financial sense beyond being my childhood dreams come true.  We will be up there all summer at some point in the future and this is all setup for then.  The house will be on VRBO if you want to sample the dream.  Nobody touches the boat, tho.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, USCATX said:

None of this makes any financial sense beyond being my childhood dreams come true.  We will be up there all summer at some point in the future and this is all setup for then.  The house will be on VRBO if you want to sample the dream.  Nobody touches the boat, tho.  

If I'm renting the house, I'm touching the boat...

On 1/12/2022 at 5:35 AM, Brew said:

SWFL real estate prices along with the way the community we were in changing pretty much overnight has us thinking a little bit about where we want to be. We’re going to look around a little outside the US as well before deciding. 

Don't want to go CR, but was it the political attitudes of your community that had you rethinking?  I only ask because it's amazing that now that is a big factor in where one might want to retire.  There are some phenomenal areas we would consider, but the wife is worried we wouldn't mesh with the locals.  And if you are moving to a new area and don't know anybody, that can be tough.

Now back to your regularly scheduled boating talk.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Don't want to go CR, but was it the political attitudes of your community that had you rethinking?  I only ask because it's amazing that now that is a big factor in where one might want to retire.  There are some phenomenal areas we would consider, but the wife is worried we wouldn't mesh with the locals.  And if you are moving to a new area and don't know anybody, that can be tough.

Now back to your regularly scheduled boating talk.

No, I avoid the political stuff. I have places in two of the most conservative states around, we could use a few more blue state people moving in.

When we bought it was a heavily snowbird community and we were on the opposite schedule with kids school. We went for the summers and the place was empty, fall break empty, Christmas and spring break busy but we kept our trips shorter. We could eat anywhere, beaches were empty, etc which was part of our draw. Now with people relocating to live it changed quite a bit last summer along with tourism going up a bunch and it just sapped a lot of the reason we were there out of it. We’re looking at getting off the island we’re on and looking nearby all the way up through Punta Gorda and seeing what we can find that is a little slower.

On the boat front it’s why I’m pushing for a trawler. The waters are overrun with people down there, but you can still get away.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Brew said:

No, I avoid the political stuff. I have places in two of the most conservative states around, we could use a few more blue state people moving in.

When we bought it was a heavily snowbird community and we were on the opposite schedule with kids school. We went for the summers and the place was empty, fall break empty, Christmas and spring break busy but we kept our trips shorter. We could eat anywhere, beaches were empty, etc which was part of our draw. Now with people relocating to live it changed quite a bit last summer along with tourism going up a bunch and it just sapped a lot of the reason we were there out of it. We’re looking at getting off the island we’re on and looking nearby all the way up through Punta Gorda and seeing what we can find that is a little slower.

On the boat front it’s why I’m pushing for a trawler. The waters are overrun with people down there, but you can still get away.

Whatever you do, don't miss the n in Punta Gorda or the visuals get pretty rough.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, USCATX said:

On 1/13/2022 at 12:36 PM, Chewbacca said:

If I'm renting the house, I'm touching the boat...

fuck that noise, I'm living on the fucking boat and fucking on it too for that matter.  #childhooddreams and all.

30 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I spoke too soon.  Just saw that this whole area is still under tsunami watch.  I’m here.  T’s & P’s appreciated.  May need to head to sea to avoid the shoreline collision.

FF44C168-16D0-4D6B-84FA-D5B6182C2693.jpeg

Watching don’t look up right now, spooky post to come see. Yikes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dear Boat Trader,

If I wanted your app on my ipad, I would’ve already installed it.  If I wanted to receive email updates I would’ve already signed up for them. It annoys the fuck out of me that you feel the need to ask me about these things every 15 seconds while I am trying to look at boats.

43 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Dear Boat Trader,

If I wanted your app on my ipad, I would’ve already installed it.  If I wanted to receive email updates I would’ve already signed up for them. It annoys the fuck out of me that you feel the need to ask me about these things every 15 seconds while I am trying to look at boats.

it's like pop up ads when you're trying to look at tiddies. so annoying.

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

it's like pop up ads when you're trying to look at tiddies. so annoying.

This is more than annoying, it almost renders the website unusable.  First time I’ve been there in a few months, it wasn’t anything like this the last time I spent some time looking at boats there.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

This is more than annoying, it almost renders the website unusable.  First time I’ve been there in a few months, it wasn’t anything like this the last time I spent some time looking at boats there.

I like yachtworld.com better than boat trader, but i'm looking at 40+ I don't know if they have smaller boats there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hurricane Harvey, building a new house, and Covid kept me away from my girl for way too long.Gonna spend a few months down here on it, fish a bunch, and list it for sale for way too high of a price. The market is on fire. If it actually sells I’m going to downsize to a one bedroom 35ish foot boat which is all I need for fishing here. @troph y’all better get down here soon

326B1297-F1B8-4952-8DCA-428F9BDDFFD8.jpeg

76F92F03-16FF-4D88-AAFC-36D303ECBF73.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t see a helipad on the last one.  WNB.

I guess it just doesn’t fit on a 200 foot super yacht. If you can get past that though you can charter it starting at 470,000 a week.

https://www.fraseryachts.com/en/yacht-for-charter/formosa/?gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5wajOsM9BsmCrVEshxJInwSm-yMvV-7ADhs6fbPbaX4gTmQ8LulQtW0EaAozoEALw_wcB

Edited by justhookit

14 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I guess it just doesn’t fit on a 200 foot super yacht. If you can get past that though you can charter it starting at 470,000 a week.

https://www.fraseryachts.com/en/yacht-for-charter/formosa/?gclid=Cj0KCQiArt6PBhCoARIsAMF5wajOsM9BsmCrVEshxJInwSm-yMvV-7ADhs6fbPbaX4gTmQ8LulQtW0EaAozoEALw_wcB

Wakeboarding behind a 200 ft yacht would be interesting.

39D6B380-BF97-4E48-A767-CC5DFDE50B7A.thumb.jpeg.344cd1e709618e761da2ebed08ac54a7.jpeg

Edited by conVINCEd