The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Ladyfriend and I are cackling at qualified captain videos on insta this morning with our coffee.... recent add reminds me of the Aggie who lost his truck on the lake austin boat ramp by morzarts. This one though sinks all the way. Good thing they didn’t misgender the boat though or they’d look like novices.

She says... as she follows them on insta, “where did you even find this ...? Oh your boy board”

yup.

• Haha 1

I have always enjoyed great boat ramp hi-jinx... idiots launching, drunks returning...  that guys truck was totaled way before it went all the way under.   In 2008 you would see new trucks in the water at the ramp all the time...  things that make you go hmmm 

• Like 1

I have always enjoyed great boat ramp hi-jinx... idiots launching, drunks returning...  that guys truck was totaled way before it went all the way under.   In 2008 you would see new trucks in the water at the ramp all the time...  things that make you go hmmm 

I messed up and parked in the turn around zone once and when we got there to move my car the two guys working to get their boat out started acting like assholes to us. Mind you we messed up and knew it and we apologized and hustled to move but they kept harping. So my girlfriend who can handle a trailer with the best of the dudes, stopped dead in her tracks and looked at them squarely and asked if she needed to do it for them bc she didn’t need a turnaround space. They shut the fuck up then. Anyway I don’t know what it is about men and the boat ramp but it’s a special kinda place to watch men in the wild. Some of y’all just go about your business, those are the guys to hang with. The bafoons though. Like talking about the boat in the female gender while the truck is sinking. Just stupid. I don’t get it.

I think you are on to something. Some % of these ramp crap shows have to be insurance fraud. Launched and retrieved hundreds of times. Never once did I feel like we were even close to sinking the truck.

OTOH, assuming an empty driver's seat and no parking break... I guess a transmission pawl could break? Bumping the trailer too hard knocks the tyranny into reverse? That's all I can come up with.

I had my Jeep roll back on me once on a shitty boat ramp. Slammed the break and emergency break. Dude with tow straps pulled me back to a better spot and got out with no issue. That said, it was my fault for parking on a busted piece of concrete and not a better spot.

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

OTOH, assuming an empty driver's seat and no parking break... I guess a transmission pawl could break? 

You know the sound. The one you hear over and over at the ramp where apparently only 2% of people use their emergency brake.  When they go from P to D.

Thuuuuuuuuuunkkkkkkk.  

Makes me cringe every time. 

• Like 1

I have to dig up a picture for you guys of when I tried to help some college kid at a boat ramp at a drained, muddy lake bed. He took his GF "mudding" in a Wrangler and made it just far enough to cause me to sink down to the frame when I tried to go out there and help him (at his and her request).

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That is baller as all hell.  Need to make me one of those and  put it in Saluria.

It pretty much has everything.  Covered cockpit with the knockoff EZ-Up, galley and sleeping quarters midships, and cocktails and sunbathing on the Lido deck on the bow.  I agree, pretty baller indeed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It pretty much has everything.  Covered cockpit with the knockoff EZ-Up, galley and sleeping quarters midships, and cocktails and sunbathing on the Lido deck on the bow.  I agree, pretty baller indeed.

Cockpit looks like it is a set of scaffolding and a dropcloth tarp which makes it that more awesomer

• Like 1

I bought a used APEX RiB about a year ago. Came with a near new Honda 5hp, all for $1,600. Well over the last year a lot of the glued connections- oar locks, handholds etc have failed. So that explains the price a bit. But the engine is worth it. So today I stripped it and prepped it for restoration. Dirty and thrashed
93a8fc28f0e41f5a16fc5e92e259aab0.jpg

Cleaned it thoroughly, and used PolyMarine two part adhesive to repair everything. Also installed a rod holder for trolling. Ready for summer. Hopefully it all holds.
9dd83f28be0da9924d5596c71d67b5ce.jpg

• Like 3

Came down under the guise of summer boat prep. Well, there is a measure of truth in that. Headed to Catalina for Memorial Day and want to do numerous others over the summer. And after a few weeks in the yard, now need to get the rest dialed in. But it is also an excuse to spend some quality time with my mistress. Weather is perfect down here. Got some shrimp stir fry on tap, and not a care in the world. Not a whole lot I can complain about right now. And my wife doesn't bitch (much). She knows this time is critical to my sanity.
51d40dc6e98de7dab34430fb4f05abfb.jpg

• Like 1

I have to dig up a picture for you guys of when I tried to help some college kid at a boat ramp at a drained, muddy lake bed. He took his GF "mudding" in a Wrangler and made it just far enough to cause me to sink down to the frame when I tried to go out there and help him (at his and her request).

Sent from my SM-T837A using Tapatalk

As to not derail: I posted in the truck thread

On 5/12/2019 at 8:36 AM, G650 said:

Quantum 

I like that one poor bastard - the last one on port tack right next to the mark.  There’s nothing more fun than working your ass off for the entire beat, and then ducking the entire fleet because ...

It’s better in dinghies because you can just bumper boat your way in there and pray.  These 52’s don’t bumper boat as well.

g650, where’s your new ride?

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

I like that one poor bastard - the last one on port tack right next to the mark.  There’s nothing more fun than working your ass off for the entire beat, and then ducking the entire fleet because ...

It’s better in dinghies because you can just bumper boat your way in there and pray.  These 52’s don’t bumper boat as well.

g650, where’s your new ride?

Salalah, Oman currently. Awaiting transfer onto the ship that's taking it transatlantic (Seamax Norwalk for those who want to AIS track it like a psycho crack head like me).

IMG-8956.jpg

IMG-20190509-134130-925.jpg

IMG-20190508-190129-381.jpg

IMG-20190509-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20190505-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190509-WA0006.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CoTex said:

You're a patient dude.  I would be doing more than tracking the shipper online.

The boat looks perfect.  How long until assembly?

Given the fact its two months late it needs to be perfect. 

I am super happy with the finished product. They exceeded expectations with a the little customs bits and details.

Its supposed to land here June 10th.

How is the keel secured?  Slide it in the hole and then bolt some plate to the top of it, or does the fin go in top down and then bolt bulb on?

do you have to fair it every time or does it just fit really well?

When’s the first race?

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

How is the keel secured?  Slide it in the hole and then bolt some plate to the top of it, or does the fin go in top down and then bolt bulb on?

do you have to fair it every time or does it just fit really well?

When’s the first race?

It slides up and has a carbon keel head bolted on. It has a fairing plate on the underside, and delrin bearings inside the trunk. We also have a proprietary system that uses hydraulic bags that pump up and clamp on keel to allow looser tolerances in the bearings so it's not so hard to raise keel.

IMG-20190501-WA0000.jpg

Hope to race on the 22nd, but we will see.

I'm a fan of the Noco Genius chargers.  I have the 2x 4 A onboard, a single 7.2 A and a couple of the .75A trickle chargers.  Would buy any or all of them again.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENM2-Waterproof-Battery-Charger/dp/B00CBTRMZ4
Thanks. Definitely on the short list. I have a couple of the 3.5A portables and I have had mixed results.

What day are you sending the G650 around to pick us up for the christening party? Need to make sure my calendar is clear.

No doubt. One hell of a sled, G. What sort of speed would you get out of that thing on a beam reach in say 15kts if breeze?

I've got the speech for your christening:
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat, but the man who's worthwhile is the man who can smile when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Headed to Catalina in the am, family coming Saturday, so I have a couple of days to myself.
cdb24c2f99dc4a7fe81382d9fdc5f5cc.jpg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Page 25, #1239.   That’s my baby. Pathetically underused (bought before wife and 3 kids arrived)  going to install hatch lights over the weekend and polish the gauges if I get to it. 

I know. But post again.  And again.  I do.  This is the boat fanatic thread, and there is nothing I am more fanatical about than my boat.  Post more pics.

• Like 1