The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Its not a flats boat by any means.  I go with a buddy or take my Jon boat or kayak if I'm planning on fishing shallower than waist deep.

This guy pulled up next to me on a rock offshore and it's what got me interested in the Robalos R227s.  He had the top custom made by TopnTowers and it includes a ski tow.   Its big enough to take 6 adults and has the side console toilet area for the girls.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157199&stc=1

That’s probably taller than I want to be, the size of your KW doesn’t look too bad. I’ve looked at a few this morning with 15-16 inches of draft. Most of the bay boats I’ve looked at are 12-13 inches. I need to get out and look at some in the next few weeks.

5 hours ago, G650 said:

First race in the books.

20190622-150438.jpg

Good start but to succeed you need glows and grows so, listen up.

1.  Get new shirts.  

2.  Guy on the pedestal needs to not skip leg day anymore.

3.  What’s the cleat/belowdecks line coming out right behind the traveler?  That’s a weird spot for a control line.

4.  Need pictures of the owner’s wife.

thats all for now.

33 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Good start but to succeed you need glows and grows so, listen up.

1.  Get new shirts.  

2.  Guy on the pedestal needs to not skip leg day anymore.

3.  What’s the cleat/belowdecks line coming out right behind the traveler?  That’s a weird spot for a control line.

4.  Need pictures of the owner’s wife.

thats all for now.

Damn, I should have taken a picture of when I grabbed the black electric tape and added an I to to the X on Beau's shirt.

2, yeah, Pack isn't a gym kinda guy. But he is 6'5" so it's a little deceiving. The other half of the grinding team is the linebacker in the bottom right of the picture.

3, that's the vang. Pretty standard position on any modern high performance boat as that's where everyone is standing when its critical to blow it.

4, she says get fucked.

Fairly light air all day after starting in mid teens. We had a nice little slide though do between 9 and 10 in 9 knots of breeze here.

• Like 2

Looking at an old playlist I stumbled upon this blast down the Chesapeake Bay a few years back in 30 knots. Just wasn't hairy enough so we teed up the A5, which we promptly blew up and wiped a bunch of stanchions off the deck.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 10:57 AM, fattyflattie said:

Y’all are making me feel selfish.  The kids and wife have had to adapt to what works best for my fishing. 

Anything that gets you on the water is better than not getting on the water...

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 12:27 AM, justhookit said:

So I haven’t been down to the boat since mid April which is fairly normal for this time of year because we transition from sailfish fishing to marlin fishing. Been doing a little boat work, mainly replacing the floor where you enter the salon because it had rotted out from a combination of use and a bad gasket in the door. We did a bunch of work last year, including replacing the salon carpet, then I get this series of pictures sent to me from CR. I love boats.

1016-E445-06-A4-4327-A18-F-9-B55-E112-FD
5315-BBCB-2110-4-E9-F-9084-B0-A903-BF32-
994328-A1-A1-BF-4-F49-B465-DFDEC8-D023-B
2012 porsche panamera turbo 0 60

Did you go with teak and holly veneer, or something synthetic?  My flooring is probably the most dilapidated part of my boat.  Was thinking of using the Lonseal Marine flooring for replacement.  Also thinking of just doing carpeting.  But the wife and I got into a little spat this past weekend over my boat expenditures vs the house. Putting a new bimini on this week before a week in Catalina next week.  She accused me (rightly so) of focusing too much energy/money on fixing things on the boat, while letting issues at the house go neglected.  House maintenance is boring was my response, which was not well received.  

17 hours ago, Texaus said:

Way too much work and no cup holders. Out

Yeah, I've done a few races, but I take a more of a "set it and forget it" approach, provided conditions don't change much.  I'm not constantly trimming.  I let otto take over steering, and sit back and relax.

On 6/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, G650 said:

Looking at an old playlist I stumbled upon this blast down the Chesapeake Bay a few years back in 30 knots. Just wasn't hairy enough so we teed up the A5, which we promptly blew up and wiped a bunch of stanchions off the deck.

Why is the bow guy working so hard?  Chillax my man.  If it’s too much sail, God will take it down for you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, utee94 said:

Anything that gets you on the water is better than not getting on the water...

Either you are misunderstanding me, or I’ve had too many beers but I’ll clarify.  I have a very purpose built tounament boat that is not exactly good for kids and wife. I love taking them on it but 0% chance I’m compromising what I bought it for to accommodate. Ie: I’m a selfish prick wrt my boat needs vs family boat wants. 

On 6/23/2019 at 5:58 PM, G650 said:

Damn, I should have taken a picture of when I grabbed the black electric tape and added an I to to the X on Beau's shirt.

2, yeah, Pack isn't a gym kinda guy. But he is 6'5" so it's a little deceiving. The other half of the grinding team is the linebacker in the bottom right of the picture.

3, that's the vang. Pretty standard position on any modern high performance boat as that's where everyone is standing when its critical to blow it.

4, she says get fucked.

Fairly light air all day after starting in mid teens. We had a nice little slide though do between 9 and 10 in 9 knots of breeze here.

So what's the identical version (purple line) in front of the traveller?

8 minutes ago, CoTex said:

So what's the identical version (purple line) in front of the traveller?

Runner deflectors.

I thought that's what you were asking about at first, and had to redo my reply when I realized you meant vang.

8 minutes ago, G650 said:

Runner deflectors.

I thought that's what you were asking about at first, and had to redo my reply when I realized you meant vang.

That's a bunch of new fangled bullshit that we didn't need in the olden days.  Back before carbon fiber when the runner got tangled up, you couldn't ease the main, so you spun out, probably skied the pole because some greenhorn is on the pole controls, and broke some shit.  A slow motion clusterfuck.

I remember being in Corpus when the Ultimate Yacht Race first showed up.  I guess that was around 87 and I raced a Laser.  Those boats looked like something out of a sci fi movie - now all of that shit is just the norm.

Watching people like Cayard and Kolius capsize OD14's in the Corpus Christi marina was pretty cool.

1 minute ago, CoTex said:

That's a bunch of new fangled bullshit that we didn't need in the olden days.  Back before carbon fiber when the runner got tangled up, you couldn't ease the main, so you spun out, probably skied the pole because some greenhorn is on the pole controls, and broke some shit.  A slow motion clusterfuck.

I remember being in Corpus when the Ultimate Yacht Race first showed up.  I guess that was around 87 and I raced a Laser.  Those boats looked like something out of a sci fi movie - now all of that shit is just the norm.

Watching people like Cayard and Kolius capsize OD14's in the Corpus Christi marina was pretty cool.

Actually its IOR stuff rehashed. Deflector=Checkstay

Allright SBBruin, G650 and all other offshore sailors, here's the report on an MOB from 2017 that resulted in a death.

https://maritime-executive.com/article/cv30-man-overboard-tether-entangled-on-deck-fittings

My read is that, with a number of people taking down sail (wtf is a yankee), the driver gybed the boat and chucked at least two in the water.  After that, bad things unfolded, but that was the initial failure and the tether shackle failure was just unlucky.  It could have just have easily been a sharp object that cut through the tether and the shackle would have survived.

A sailboat in rough weather is hard to maneuver.  Gybing the thing unannounced and tangling the fuck out of probably everything, makes it infinitely harder.

Too harsh?  Why cant you be more understanding CoTex?

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Either you are misunderstanding me, or I’ve had too many beers but I’ll clarify.  I have a very purpose built tounament boat that is not exactly good for kids and wife. I love taking them on it but 0% chance I’m compromising what I bought it for to accommodate. Ie: I’m a selfish prick wrt my boat needs vs family boat wants. 

I was speaking from your family's perspective, not yours.  They're still getting on the water, and that beats not being on the water, every day. :)

15 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Allright SBBruin, G650 and all other offshore sailors, here's the report on an MOB from 2017 that resulted in a death.

https://maritime-executive.com/article/cv30-man-overboard-tether-entangled-on-deck-fittings

My read is that, with a number of people taking down sail (wtf is a yankee), the driver gybed the boat and chucked at least two in the water.  After that, bad things unfolded, but that was the initial failure and the tether shackle failure was just unlucky.  It could have just have easily been a sharp object that cut through the tether and the shackle would have survived.

A sailboat in rough weather is hard to maneuver.  Gybing the thing unannounced and tangling the fuck out of probably everything, makes it infinitely harder.

Too harsh?  Why cant you be more understanding CoTex?

Yankee and a jib top are essentially the same. Pretty rare to see it called a Yankee on a sloop.

The Clipper race is amateur hour. They have experienced people on the boat, but it's mostly pay to play enthusiasts. 

It is one of my big fears.  When I am solo, I am ALWAYS tethered outside of the cockpit.  Over the side alone and that's all she wrote.  But what about going over and still being tethered?  If the boat is on autopilot, which it likely would be, would I have the strength to pull myself back up, especially if I'm on the windward side?  I'm not sure.  Or get drowned on the leeward side.  Headed to Catalina solo on Sunday.  Note to self: don't fall overboard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yankee and a jib top are essentially the same. Pretty rare to see it called a Yankee on a sloop.

The Clipper race is amateur hour. They have experienced people on the boat, but it's mostly pay to play enthusiasts. 

Oh, I know it's amateur hour.  I bumped into these guys in 1996 in Southhampton or Portsmouth.  They were "training" in the Solent and all I saw were a lot of boats broad reaching back and forth, and a lot of sails flapping for a long while after every tack.  It reminded me of 8 year old yacht club camp with some big bulletproof boats that sorta looked fast but on close inspection were overbuilt so you could crash them into the dock. 

I read this overboard report as "we did some really big things badly, and then when the small part broke, it cost a man his life."  My thought was "uh, don't do the big things badly and the small part won't be the only thing sparing your soul."

Shit, if you're going to wipe out, at least go to weather.  You break less shit and have less to untangle.

When do we get to see your afterschool special about mob?

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

It is one of my big fears.  When I am solo, I am ALWAYS tethered outside of the cockpit.  Over the side alone and that's all she wrote.  But what about going over and still being tethered?  If the boat is on autopilot, which it likely would be, would I have the strength to pull myself back up, especially if I'm on the windward side?  I'm not sure.  Or get drowned on the leeward side.  Headed to Catalina solo on Sunday.  Note to self: don't fall overboard. 

My first recommendation to anyone is don't fall off the fucking boat.

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

Oh, I know it's amateur hour.  I bumped into these guys in 1996 in Southhampton or Portsmouth.  They were "training" in the Solent and all I saw were a lot of boats broad reaching back and forth, and a lot of sails flapping for a long while after every tack.  It reminded me of 8 year old yacht club camp with some big bulletproof boats that sorta looked fast but on close inspection were overbuilt so you could crash them into the dock. 

I read this overboard report as "we did some really big things badly, and then when the small part broke, it cost a man his life."  My thought was "uh, don't do the big things badly and the small part won't be the only thing sparing your soul."

Shit, if you're going to wipe out, at least go to weather.  You break less shit and have less to untangle.

When do we get to see your afterschool special about mob?

Yeah, that's generally the call. Don't put yourself in a position for a small thing to be the issue. Control the controllables. 

I need to find a link, its posted somewhere or other. I'm glad they didn't make me do all the dumb posing Mark had to do at least.

Yeah, that's generally the call. Don't put yourself in a position for a small thing to be the issue. Control the controllables. 
I need to find a link, its posted somewhere or other. I'm glad they didn't make me do all the dumb posing Mark had to do at least.

I read that yesterday on SA. Don't know how I got there but it took me a few minutes to realize the connection. Had to be pretty scary shutting down a race boat and reversing course. Definitely like you AAR comments
  • Like 1

I was speaking from your family's perspective, not yours.  They're still getting on the water, and that beats not being on the water, every day.

Ah, it was the beers then. They love it, just not a kid friendly boat (no gunnels, limited seating, fast) Need to make a family trip soon, as a matter of fact. When the youngest 2 get a bit older it’ll be tube time.

43b483da84df0ebd123407ac72a7f684.jpg

151c2493db78365a22dee8570d25056a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6

Lake Travis was divine tonight. No one out, wind was calm, temp was mild. Just perfect. Kids swam and the ladies drank hazy IPAs and compared ages by remembering how old we were when certain 80s songs came out. Good times. So nice I coulda even gotten laid but kids were kids until too late. A little sundown pic because why not?

bf7ec81865d72bfc03d6e02c439e9831.jpg

• Like 2

Btw [mention=205]fattyflattie[/mention] — your wife is a keeper if she’s willing to take those three young ones on that boat at that age. I bet she’s got her hands full. Mad props to her. I wouldn’t go back to that age for anything.

4 hours ago, troph said:

Btw [mention=205]fattyflattie[/mention] — your wife is a keeper if she’s willing to take those three young ones on that boat at that age. I bet she’s got her hands full. Mad props to her. I wouldn’t go back to that age for anything.

She’s a saint. Dealing with those 3 is a cakewalk compared to me most of the time.  Her hands are indeed full. 

Digging the new bimini and connecting piece to the dodger. Had a pretty janky awning before. Off to Catalina in the am for a week. The first 4 nights solo. This is one of the busiest weeks of the year out there so need to head out to secure a mooring. Of course I could wait another day or so, but as long as I have to take the whole week off, better to be out there. Wife and kids coming first thing on the 4th. Should be an interesting solo experience.
195a99ab5488639e9db9ecdf1e2cdf92.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 7:25 PM, G650 said:

My first recommendation to anyone is don't fall off the fucking boat.

Look man, I practiced for 6 months on a J22 only to show up in Bellingham to find out these assholes were making us race Santana fucking 20s. I cant help it that my muscle memory told me there was boat to stand on after that tack. While punched out...only to lose 2 places while my crew spun around to pick my dumbass up. Fucking Sears cup nightmares.

I agree, stay on the damned boat. Also fuck that abortion of a boat.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Like 1

I have searched online, cant find it.  My rear stern light, it is 24 or 30 inches long.  I need a THREE PIN white stern light.  I even called Perko to no avail, and West Marine as well.  Very hard to find.

If you can find me one I will give you 7 internets and semi-positive reputations. 

I have searched online, cant find it.  My rear stern light, it is 24 or 30 inches long.  I need a THREE PIN white stern light.  I even called Perko to no avail, and West Marine as well.  Very hard to find.
If you can find me one I will give you 7 internets and semi-positive reputations. 
Will this work for you? I actually found it in a rod locker on my bay boat this weekend 82a5f6a5bf8b2c9c4331f2a5fc3b3300.jpg0e3ee05ce0db34e0c05bbadf914512b6.jpg
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 1:03 PM, markstanco said:

???  

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/rinker-boats-2320631-attwood-5340-60-1-white-60-inch-anti-glare-all-round-light-folding-artic-pole

7b3735ca3c6394e351ec0b99e2d92bf8.jpg