The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

16 hours ago, Loco said:

Those flags legit?   Or were some of those Palmbeach releases?

No that was legit. We set the unofficial Texas record last year for most releases in a day and then the other record for most in 2 days. Crazy thing was the first day we were traveling out of POC headed to south padre for TIFT and didn’t start fishing until 11am. Caught 16 before it got dark.

I’ll also add that the blue was iffy, at least if we are going by tournament video rules. It was a little rat maybe 225 or 250 and we caught it at the very end of the day the 2nd day. Got the leader on the rod tip twice, which counts as a catch in tournaments if they can see it’, then the little fucker took off to Mexico or wherever and we broke him off so we could get in to Port Isabel for our 6 dinner reservation.

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Damnit.  Hate to hear that hookit. 

Yeah I’m crushed. Not my boat but I’ve fished it a bunch.. it’s a fishing machine. We ran her from POC to Perdido last year in POCO, killed a blue first day ran back to POC weighed it at 11 topped off fuel and ran right  back to Perdido..  the next week was Lonestar Shootout we ran 330 miles to  fish a rig off Louisiana 

Also got the new flooring installed, finally . This is the entry way to the salon. Had a bad seal/gasket that was letting water in from the salon door and it rotted out the wood.
C536-A72-B-1-F62-4781-847-F-2809-A35528-F3.jpg

I that real teak & holly, or a Lonseal type product? I need to replace my floors.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I that real teak & holly, or a Lonseal type product? I need to replace my floors.

No idea. I haven’t seen it in person yet but I’ll let you know after I go down in about a month. Captain handles things like that and just sends the bill. Work like that is really, really cheap down there - provided you can get the material locally.

• Like 1

34 people holy shit. Bruin are you anywhere around this?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/people-killed-boat-fire-california-santa-cruz-island

At least 34 people have been killed after a boat caught fire off Santa Cruz Island, California, early Monday morning, fire officials have confirmed.

Fox affiliate KTTV confirmed the fatalities. Five people were rescued.

The U.S. Coast Guard said earlier it was coordinating a large rescue effort Monday in response.

KKFX-TV reported that Coast Guard Los Angeles responded to reports of a fully engulfed boat fire off Santa Cruz Island around 5 a.m.

Scary as shit. Just spent 7 nights on a 150 passenger tall ship and I went to bed most nights replaying the safety maneuvers but we were on the lowest deck and in the back near the engines so anything major like that and we wouldn’t be able to do anything.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Santa Cruz is.  Been many times.  Really sad.  Fire just consumed the boat before anyone could react.  Crew got out because they were awake.

Yes. Heard the five rescued were crew on shift and awake. Just jumped overboard. Terrible thing to live with. Must have happened fast as shit or an explosion 

On 9/10/2019 at 6:24 AM, davidg said:

I bet she slept for 4 days straight once she hit dry ground.   I would think that if you were under sail, you would need to be up at least every 2-3 hours.  Seems like that would get old pretty quick.

Yeah, a lot of solo'ers say they are up almost on the hour just to peak around.  I'm a shitty sleeper so there's no way I could pull that off.

Here's a good example of why boat projects can take so fucking long. The hatch over my helm is busted up. See that boom on the left? It strongly objects to the hatch being open in the most violent of ways as the previous owner discovered.

Fortunately the manufacturer of said hatch is still in business and still makes the exact same hatch. Same part number, same dimensions. This should be an easy job!

But nah, the holes on the bottom frame were all moved by 1/10 of an inch. My bimini top is aluminum and I know of know good way to "relocate" a hole 1/10" in Al. This isn't the first time where I've replaced an item from the same manufacturer only to discover that the mounting template is totally different. Why?!

spacer.png

• Like 1

I had a local shop re-do the wiring and fuel system on my "technical duck boat". The boat is 14YO and serves as a tidal creek running, rock hopping, redfishing machine. I was getting a little bit uncomfortable with the rats nest wiring job done by one previous owner or another.

Also replaced the hydro turf which costs about 3X as much as it should. 2c973c5345f5eb1605f485bcaa3fe814.jpg

• Like 1

Yup, before kids' activities we hit the lake regularly on Fall Sundays, and even some Saturdays when the Horns were playing away. Now I have football, soccer, Scouts, and a host of other things that make it pretty difficult to get out at all past Labor Day.

However, this off-weekend we'll be out there,  my daughter requested a lake day as her birthday party.  So proud!

• Like 3

On 9/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, fattyflattie said:

Hell yes.  Glad someone is doing something to their boat.  Me, well we signed up for fall softball and the girls have double headers every Saturday for the next 6 weeks.  Not like fall fishing is enjoyable or anything. 

Less people on the water on Sundays.  Hopefully you can make some of those work. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 5:39 AM, fattyflattie said:

I was fully aware it was part of the deal when I signed up. Just bitching because I miss my boat. 

I haven't been to mine in 3 weeks and won't be for 2 more.  I hate that.  Always happens in the fall though.  

On 9/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, fattyflattie said:

Hell yes.  Glad someone is doing something to their boat.  Me, well we signed up for fall softball and the girls have double headers every Saturday for the next 6 weeks.  Not like fall fishing is enjoyable or anything. 

My son has two days in a row off school in October. I was planning to take them off too, and have 4 days off to drag the boat over to Cocoderie, but no...he's got a two day swim meet that Saturday and Sunday. FML. 

23 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

he's got a two day swim meet that Saturday and Sunday. FML. 

Heh. We are in swim too.  It’s a beating but it’s what my oldest is excelling at.  Maybe she’ll excel at working a spook jr in a few years, and all will be right again. 

Boating thread related. Anyone have a rec for good upholstery work in Houston area, or wherever really?  Willing to travel. Need seats, front console seat, and backrest done. Diamond pleat in seats and everything on console recovered and pleated.  

No swim team for us, but the son is in football, daughter is in soccer, both are in scouts.  

Amazingly enough, neither of them have any activities on that Columbus day weekend, so you'd think we could hit the lake-- but that's TX-OU weekend so we won't be back until late afternoon on Sunday.  They both have that Mon-Tues off but I have major presentations at work, so no laking for me until the end of October... maybe.

Thank you @davidg, I had not seen that outfit. 

I’ve reached out to Simmons as I’ll likely just replace the seats behind the console.  Need a rear bench fabbed up for the back deck. The seat and back rest on front of console is all that needs to be done. The rest is just gravy.  Since seat stand behind console will need to be modified to accept new style seats (going from Atwood Centric II to Avenir), looking to get everything coated in lineX (to hide the welds). Guessing it’ll be 5k or better from Simmons.  

Only other place I’ve been recommended to is BB upholstery which happens to also be in Tomball. I saw some of his work at the boat show and it was nice. A friend had his done there and it was...so so. So kind of torn on that one. But something needs to happen soon as the front console seat has a small split. 

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Thank you @davidg, I had not seen that outfit. 

I’ve reached out to Simmons as I’ll likely just replace the seats behind the console.  Need a rear bench fabbed up for the back deck. The seat and back rest on front of console is all that needs to be done. The rest is just gravy.  Since seat stand behind console will need to be modified to accept new style seats (going from Atwood Centric II to Avenir), looking to get everything coated in lineX (to hide the welds). Guessing it’ll be 5k or better from Simmons.  

Only other place I’ve been recommended to is BB upholstery which happens to also be in Tomball. I saw some of his work at the boat show and it was nice. A friend had his done there and it was...so so. So kind of torn on that one. But something needs to happen soon as the front console seat has a small split. 

If you get desperate I've got a guy in Sunrise Beach on Lake LBJ.  It's obviously not that close to you but if you're reaching...

Heh. We are in swim too.  It’s a beating but it’s what my oldest is excelling at.  Maybe she’ll excel at working a spook jr in a few years, and all will be right again. 

Boating thread related. Anyone have a rec for good upholstery work in Houston area, or wherever really?  Willing to travel. Need seats, front console seat, and backrest done. Diamond pleat in seats and everything on console recovered and pleated.  

I’m checking with a friend of mine to see if their shop does this kind of work. They do custom stereo installs, mechanical work, etc. check out their website:

https://liquidridestx.com