The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, I've been out of there a million times. My boat just went out of it yesterday as a matter of fact. I definitely would not classify it as huge, much less with captial letters.

But these people are still terrible.

Yeah that might be over use of capitals, but my point is that massive cruise ships and tankers have no problem without bouncing off the rocks.  It's not a tricky inlet to run by any means.

50.jpg?ver=1

not like this little bastard.. Jupiter 

d72d9b59-4ea5-4a0b-9cdf-230395ef9820-lar

or this tricky bitch... St Lucie

st_lucie_inlet_3.jpg?itok=Xwdryv6h

Oh, they shouldn't have hit the rocks, that's dumb. But Port Everglades is tight. You have to go in and out next to those cruise ships. The good old home waters here in your native land are a big entrance, and people still manage to brick up fairly often.

hrbtaerial2.png

57 minutes ago, G650 said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

051BB395-80CC-42F4-930B-D39D9B8136B4.gif

But for real, what’s the point of sinking your own real money in a damn boat?  If your money can’t grow faster then 2.5-3% you better fire your money guy / or hire one if it’s you fucking it up.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

15 year interest only at 2.5%.  Let the fucking bank own the fucker.  Pick one off cheap and use it / charter it.  List it for more than you paid - profit. 

Looking now.  Miami boat show in 3 weeks.  I’ll be hard until then.  

There can't be any way you can get an interest only note on a depreciating asset like a boat.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

There can't be any way you can get an interest only note on a depreciating asset like a boat.

Yes.  As I posted - If you give the bank enough money to invest you absolutely can.  It’s a line for money at that % that you can use for whatever the fuck you want.  The bank literally has 5x that of your money sitting with them.  It’s no risk to them. 

PM me and I’ll connect you personally if you want to discuss with them.  Hell a buddy has a G4 and a 30M boat from GS doing exactly that.  He also has a quarter billion with them.  

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes.  As I posted - If you give the bank enough money to invest you absolutely can.  It’s a line for money at that % that you can use for whatever the fuck you want.  The bank literally has 5x that of your money sitting with them.  It’s no risk to them. 

PM me and I’ll connect you personally if you want to discuss with them.  Hell a buddy has a G4 and a 30M boat from GS doing exactly that.  He also has a quarter billion with them.  

Nope, when it comes to boats, if I can't buy it outright, I ain't buying it.

BTW, I REALLY want this.  Wife wants a whole house remodel.  I think I lose.

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/yachts-for-sale/42-Beneteau-423-2005-San-Diego-California/7187736

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Oh, they shouldn't have hit the rocks, that's dumb. But Port Everglades is tight. You have to go in and out next to those cruise ships. The good old home waters here in your native land are a big entrance, and people still manage to brick up fairly often.

hrbtaerial2.png

Cops close the inlet now when cruise ships are coming in and out...  You can see the police boat on the far left of the picture I posted.  Even so there is a ton of room.  Everglades is as easy as it gets IMHO.

CSB I was way up north in Boyton visiting some friends and had planned to get a hotel and have a leisurely cruise back down south the next day.  About midnight or so the wife and I decided that it was such a beautiful night that we would just run off shore back down south and sleep in our own beds.  It was a windless, cloudless, moonless winter night and we thought it would be nice and we'd have the ocean pretty much to ourselves.   So we said our goodbyes got on the boat and headed out Boyton inlet into the night at an easy clip.  Words do not describe how peaceful and serene it was...  jazz playing and everything was right with the world.    The inlet dog legs south and we had just gotten up on plane.  About  40 yds off the end of the jetty and due east I hear something in the night...  Yup it's a set rolling in out of the darkness on the glass flat ocean.   It broke less than 30' from us....  Splashes captain!   We took the first wave almost broadside and put 1.5' of water in the boat.  The boat listed over and burped water over the gunwale.   I got on the throttle and managed roughly to quarter the next two waves.     Yup shit can go wrong quick and it's a sickening feeling to hear the roar and look over at whitewater that was flat clam a moment ago.  Not to mention the 2 hour soaking wet ride home...   /CSB

7b9d869809f36e9e2c4c1e614d0960fe.jpg

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Nope, when it comes to boats, if I can't buy it outright, I ain't buying it.

BTW, I REALLY want this.  Wife wants a whole house remodel.  I think I lose.

https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/yachts-for-sale/42-Beneteau-423-2005-San-Diego-California/7187736

You sound like my old man.  Nothing wrong w that.  But I want my money working.  Not sunk in a damn boat.  

7 minutes ago, Loco said:

Everglades is as easy as it gets IMHO.

Lol. Okay.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's not super sketchy, but it's nowhere near as easy as it gets. Small boat channels you are posting have zero to do with navigating a shipping channel. And you still come in Everglades with cruise ships to this day btw.

These people still hit side on anyway, so the the size of the inlet isn't even at issue here.

Edited by G650

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

You can when you pledge additional collateral to the bank as ChiTownDoc is doing.  The boat is not the only collateral on the note.

He's not talking about a boat loan anymore, he is talking about using a line of credit now. He changed midstream.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, G650 said:

He's not talking about a boat loan anymore, he is talking about using a line of credit now. He changed midstream.

Wait I don’t get it?  Changed midstream?   Read what I posted.  The terms that I’d get the boat at.  Not that it’s defined as a boat loan. It’s all the same to me.  Same with vacation homes etc.  If you told the damn bank it’s a boat loan I’m sure they’ll happily put that on a piece of paper for you. 

And as for the ‘that sounds like something a poor person would say’.  I’d say you think like someone rich, not wealthy.  That there is the difference, friend.  No G5 for me yet though.  #Goals.  

18 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wait I don’t get it?  Changed midstream?   Read what I posted.  The terms that I’d get the boat at.  Not that it’s defined as a boat loan. It’s all the same to me.  Same with vacation homes etc.  If you told the damn bank it’s a boat loan I’m sure they’ll happily put that on a piece of paper for you. 

And as for the ‘that sounds like something a poor person would say’.  I’d say you think like someone rich, not wealthy.  That there is the difference, friend.  No G5 for me yet though.  #Goals.  

The whole discussion was about boat loans with 10-15 yr terms. But you do you.

59 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

giphy.webp

Just fucking with you my friend.

My advice is just have open LOC. Don't put a term on it. I'd shoot for a percent and a half rate too.

Edit: Actually my advice is still just pay cash. But do LOC instead of fixed term if you are determined. And don't plan on coming close to making anything on resale. Yachts are like jets, no one actually makes money after everything when chartering unless it's a full time charter rig with no personal use, it's just a cost defrayment method.

Edited by G650

29 minutes ago, G650 said:

giphy.webp

Just fucking with you my friend.

My advice is just have open LOC. Don't put a term on it. I'd shoot for a percent and a half rate too.

Edit: Actually my advice is still just pay cash. But do LOC instead of fixed term if you are determined. And don't plan on coming close to making anything on resale. Yachts are like jets, no one actually makes money after everything when chartering unless it's a full time charter rig with no personal use, it's just a cost defrayment method.

Hey not to corner you in a bedroom but you’re one of my favorite posters.  I may have come off as a prick, which is fine - but also a crybaby...definitely not fine.  Mea Culpa

Carry on gents...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Hey not to corner you in a bedroom but you’re one of my favorite posters.  I may have come off as a prick, which is fine - but also a crybaby...definitely not fine.  Mea Culpa

Carry on gents...

I'd be shocked and disappointed if you DIDN'T come off as a prick.  Keep up the good work, sir. ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I'd be shocked and disappointed if you DIDN'T come off as a prick.  Keep up the good work, sir. ;)

The lady got hit with the coronovirus, not really, but sick enough that we cancelled the Miami weekend.  Losing my edge stuck here in Chicago.  I'll break out the Balvenie and be myself in no time.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Update: better, Balvenie always wins
  • Like 3

If you want to finance your toys, finance them. If you can make the payment, you only live once so have at it. If you want the money for other things, finance it and go for it. I’ve been on both sides of that equation in my life and I only look sideways at the guys that are clearly over their heads. Having a boat is a luxury no matter how you look at it, so we’re all stupid and wasting our money on them. Some just waste a little more than others.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Brew said:

If you want to finance your toys, finance them.

I mean, at the end of the day this is my position. I just personally couldn't do it and wouldn't recommend it because the music can stop at any point.

One of my favorite anecdotes of all time is about a guy who was a developer, a pair of brothers actually, but this more pertains to the one. Before the bubble they were worth about a billion on paper, but that shit blew away like dust in the wind. They had like three jets, for some reason I can't discern, houses everywhere, the whole nine. Well, the one ends up having to live in one of the condos in a development he did because his wife left him once the money ran out, jets repoed, just total knock down. It can happen to anyone no matter how much you supposedly have if there isn't cold hard currency there.

The postscript to this story is he finagled a 100mm tax refund on his losses so got a parachute and this is why people rightfully claim the system is rigged and want to burn it all down.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, at the end of the day this is my position. I just personally couldn't do it and wouldn't recommend it because the music can stop at any point.

One of my favorite anecdotes of all time is about a guy who was a developer, a pair of brothers actually, but this more pertains to the one. Before the bubble they were worth about a billion on paper, but that shit blew away like dust in the wind. They had like three jets, for some reason I can't discern, houses everywhere, the whole nine. Well, the one ends up having to live in one of the condos in a development he did because his wife left him once the money ran out, jets repoed, just total knock down. It can happen to anyone no matter how much you supposedly have if there isn't cold hard currency there.

The postscript to this story is he finagled a 100mm tax refund on his losses so got a parachute and this is why people rightfully claim the system is rigged and want to burn it all down.

I feel like you're recounting the only-slightly-modified premise for the television show Schitt's Creek. ;)

23 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I feel like you're recounting the only-slightly-modified premise for the television show Schitt's Creek. ;)

I hear that's a pretty good show.

Edit: I meant to add I did a lot of work for the guys in the story I'm recounting.

Edited by G650

1 hour ago, Loco said:

That's insanity....  Just googled HCB...  lulz 

hqdefault.jpg

CC market has jumped the shark.  (nice sandy bow thruster bro!)

I stay somewhat current on boats (a beloved hobby afterall) but has never heard of them until I saw that one at the boat show. I guess I’ve been off THT longer than I realized.  But yes, CC’s over 50’ now. Many in the 40’+ range that run in 80’s with quads.  Crazy shit for the monied folks down there in Fla. 

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I stay somewhat current on boats (a beloved hobby afterall) but has never heard of them until I saw that one at the boat show. I guess I’ve been off THT longer than I realized.  But yes, CC’s over 50’ now. Many in the 40’+ range that run in 80’s with quads.  Crazy shit for the monied folks down there in Fla. 

same.   I'd buy a used Intrepid 375 and buy house in the Keys/Bahamas with the change.  Then in 10 years sell it for 95% of what I paid.   My days of wanting to go 60+ on the water are over.  No more paintball masks and Icy hot for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

My days of wanting to go 60+ on the water are over.  No more paintball masks and Icy hot for me.

Ha. I remember when I bought my boat, it was one of (but not the) fastest in the bays down here.  99% of the time I’m running 3800-4500 rpm at 40-48 mph.    Now there’s 20 or more of them that can run 70+.  My rig is “slow” now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

same.   I'd buy a used Intrepid 375 and buy house in the Keys/Bahamas with the change.  Then in 10 years sell it for 95% of what I paid.   My days of wanting to go 60+ on the water are over.  No more paintball masks and Icy hot for me.

Even that would be more than I want in a CC. The Jupiter 31 is pretty much right on point for an all arounder for me. Aka even that is too big for knocking around. My Seacraft was so much less headache.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Even that would be more than I want in a CC. The Jupiter 31 is pretty much right on point for an all arounder for me. Aka even that is too big for knocking around. My Seacraft was so much less headache.

Yup I just used that as an example if you wanted a high quality big honkin' CC.   

30-34' Dual engine for a big CC is the sweet spot.  You can trailer it without too much hassle, you can run it alone if need be and you don't need a tug to help you around the docks.  Anything larger than that, I want to be able to throw a party at the docks ... and do shots in the fighting chair... and have a disco bag hanging from the center rigger   65' Viking

Everyday do everything CC...   21-23' Single engine (Contender, Seacraft, Bluewater etc..)

add in a bay or flats boat to trailer around and hit the back-country you got it covered imho

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Ha. I remember when I bought my boat, it was one of (but not the) fastest in the bays down here.  99% of the time I’m running 3800-4500 rpm at 40-48 mph.    Now there’s 20 or more of them that can run 70+.  My rig is “slow” now.  

I was gonna say.  50mph will get you run over.  I did a few group runs from Flamingo down to Islamorada.  A few of those guys were basically flying on half a prop and low water pickups.  Lake & Bays with worked Merc race motors kind like this.  They had a roster tail competition to see if any of them could get cars on Snake Creek bridge wet.

narrator: they couldn't

03nss_9620_Lake_n_Bay_FB.jpg

Some dude with his face coming off...  

attachment.php?attachmentid=946408&d=150

pic included for comparison purposes...   could also haul ass

203ea08fdd780c3c02fac3479e5a5c61.jpg

41 minutes ago, Loco said:

Yup I just used that as an example if you wanted a high quality big honkin' CC.   

30-34' Dual engine for a big CC is the sweet spot.  You can trailer it without too much hassle, you can run it alone if need be and you don't need a tug to help you around the docks.  Anything larger than that, I want to be able to throw a party at the docks ... and do shots in the fighting chair... and have a disco bag hanging from the center rigger   65' Viking

Everyday do everything CC...   21-23' Single engine (Contender, Seacraft, Bluewater etc..)

add in a bay or flats boat to trailer around and hit the back-country you got it covered imho

Precisely.

@Loco we had a few of the 20’ BG down here, and a local builder has the 20’ mold when LB liquidated the first time. Imagine the 20BG with 1” sides and a 300xs strapped to the back, like a freaking 75mph surfboard.  When I bought mine, there was a cat builder just starting to take off. They had popped a mold off of a 22’ Talon and were the first to bring real speed to the TX coast.   Slap some rod holders on and call it a fishing boat. When you are conditioned to 35 mph tunnel boats your entire life and now you can go 80, it was a game changer.  People pretty quickly gave up the pure shallow and pure comfortable ride for speed.  Now there’s 5-6 builders with cat models that can break 70. That particular builder has had one over 100, but most around 80.  I spent a whole lot of money trying to get “well” into the 70’s (never got “well” into them) and now that’s just kinda normal.  Oh well. Maybe need to get one of those shiny new 450’s...

I think if I had one of each, I would be set. 
34’ YF/Invincible

Hells Bay

Current ride (23’ lowside pad V) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have zero desire to go any faster than 55 knots. And that is only when it's pretty flat.

Me either, really. But I want a fast efficient cruise. And it’s hard to have one without the ability of the other.  The few tournaments I fish a year, fully loaded we are a bit over 55 kts.   That’s full fuel, tackle, tools, spare prop, and catch livewell.   As long as you can break her over onto the pad, you can fly. The best part is this hull will start to walk at 75, but I can’t get there so no chime walk to deal with :)  I think my hour breakout is like .5% above 6000, 95% at 38-4400, and 4.5% at idle (I never cut it off when offshore).  Man. I need to knock the dust off her and get out there soon. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@Loco we had a few of the 20’ BG down here, and a local builder has the 20’ mold when LB liquidated the first time. Imagine the 20BG with 1” sides and a 300xs strapped to the back, like a freaking 75mph surfboard.  When I bought mine, there was a cat builder just starting to take off. They had popped a mold off of a 22’ Talon and were the first to bring real speed to the TX coast.   Slap some rod holders on and call it a fishing boat. When you are conditioned to 35 mph tunnel boats your entire life and now you can go 80, it was a game changer.  People pretty quickly gave up the pure shallow and pure comfortable ride for speed.  Now there’s 5-6 builders with cat models that can break 70. That particular builder has had one over 100, but most around 80.  I spent a whole lot of money trying to get “well” into the 70’s (never got “well” into them) and now that’s just kinda normal.  Oh well. Maybe need to get one of those shiny new 450’s...

34’ YF/Invincible

Hells Bay

My Hell's Bay won't break 30 with a tail wind and 40 degree air temps (50 4 Stroke), but it floats in an honest 7", and I can get it up if it's floating. Chittum and Drake are the new hotness, but I'm not paying $70K plus for a Redfish boat. I saw a new Simmons on FB the other day with a price tag of $123,000. Me and my skiff buddies laughed about that for hours. 

• Like 2

[mention=624]Loco[/mention] we had a few of the 20’ BG down here, and a local builder has the 20’ mold when LB liquidated the first time. Imagine the 20BG with 1” sides and a 300xs strapped to the back, like a freaking 75mph surfboard.  When I bought mine, there was a cat builder just starting to take off. They had popped a mold off of a 22’ Talon and were the first to bring real speed to the TX coast.   Slap some rod holders on and call it a fishing boat. When you are conditioned to 35 mph tunnel boats your entire life and now you can go 80, it was a game changer.  People pretty quickly gave up the pure shallow and pure comfortable ride for speed.  Now there’s 5-6 builders with cat models that can break 70. That particular builder has had one over 100, but most around 80.  I spent a whole lot of money trying to get “well” into the 70’s (never got “well” into them) and now that’s just kinda normal.  Oh well. Maybe need to get one of those shiny new 450’s...
34’ YF/Invincible
Hells Bay

You forgot the airboat and surface drive duckboat, just because.