The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

18 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

481f8db5caf948cccefb42f6e1564602.jpg

Nice boat. When we're done with cruising I'd love something this size just to be able to get out on the water somewhat  easily.

After we got back to Florida we cleaned the boat (unlimited freshwater... a luxury!), mostly hurricane prepped it, and are now back in Texas for a few months. After a week away my wife and I are both jonesing to get back out on the water. She even had a dream last night about dropping the mainsail and it flaking perfectly. 🤣

spacer.png

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Viking said:

Nice boat. When we're done with cruising I'd love something this size just to be able to get out on the water somewhat  easily.

After we got back to Florida we cleaned the boat (unlimited freshwater... a luxury!), mostly hurricane prepped it, and are now back in Texas for a few months. After a week away my wife and I are both jonesing to get back out on the water. She even had a dream last night about dropping the mainsail and it flaking perfectly. 🤣

That is such a sweet rig.  You mentioned it before, but what is it again?  What engines does it have?  Do you keep the RIB on the davits on passages?  How’s the lady like it?  Very jelly.

awesome day on the water today.  Borderline small craft.  Was scooting at about 7 kts.  Yes @G650, that’s decently fast for a coastal cruiser.  It was fun.

F7D30DAB-0046-41B2-A6CF-9FA55355F4BA.jpeg

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 2

Oh, the smell of an overly rich two stroke ...

Did some service on the catfish boat today. New plugs, new water pump, changed the LU lube, tweaked the carb a bit.

Set it up at a high idle and fogged away the mosquitos for a while. Running a little rough on the low end of idle so slow speed jet might be a little clogged. Will get a carb kit for later this summer.

6773-A908-0-EA3-4-AD2-9-B92-7-DC41-FE86-E01.jpg

• Like 5

On 4/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, tigol said:

This is a low end boat question, but my Dad is looking for a small fishing boat to cruise lakes in Texas, LA, and Arkansas during retirement.  Top end of the budget is $7,000. Preferred is 4.5-6.  I figured that people may be offloading toys right now to make ends meet and he is a buyer.  

"17 to 18 ft bass trackers with  40-60 hp engines, good trolling motor, decent fishing seats, and electronics.  Fiberglass models with bigger engines would be great, but the mechanical shape of the motor and electronics are more important."

Anyway, if you know someone that needs the cash let me know and I'll put you in touch.

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/d/austin-1996-astro-18-bass-boat/7117697361.html

In case you’re still looking for a boat. 

On 5/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, Sbbruin said:

That is such a sweet rig.  You mentioned it before, but what is it again?  What engines does it have?  Do you keep the RIB on the davits on passages?  How’s the lady like it?  Very jelly.

I let the wife pick the boat to improve my cruising odds. She went to Florida to meet a broker and got on a handful of cats in our price & size range and she eliminated most of them pretty quickly. It's a Manta 42 with Volvo Penta MD2030Ds.

The dinghy stays on the davits during passages. There are four lines that hold it into place: 2 on 6:1 blocks hold it up and 2 on 2:1 blocks that hold it tight to the back. This is one of the things that we love about our boat (and cats in general) is that it's super easy to get the dinghy up so we do so every night at anchor. It takes just a couple of minutes to hoist it.

• Like 1

@G650 I am thinking about making carbon fiber winch pads. How crazy am I? I cant find much info on compression characteristics and what kind of reinforcement I need internally if any. I was thinking I could make them in a female cup shaped mould and just add a shitload of layers to make them rock solid. Yours are probably integrated but have you ever seen any that weren't and have insight?

20 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

@G650 I am thinking about making carbon fiber winch pads. How crazy am I? I cant find much info on compression characteristics and what kind of reinforcement I need internally if any. I was thinking I could make them in a female cup shaped mould and just add a shitload of layers to make them rock solid. Yours are probably integrated but have you ever seen any that weren't and have insight?

Most of them are just part of the deck layup on our boat, but the runner winches are on what they call buckets for extra reinforcement as they take up to 8 tons or so of loading.

Making the pads for your boat will be super easy, just get a small vacuum setup to make sure its all homogeneous and no voids. For compressive loads on the deck, drill out the bolt holes oversize and glue in G10 tubing the same length as the deck is thick to run bolts through.

Great weather this weekend and should have been out on the water but instead, did some overdue boat maintenance on my Key West.

Changed the engine oil and filter, fuel filters, lower unit oil, new plugs and powerhead zincs. Greased the trailer hubs, swapped out a roller that was bent, adjusted a couple of bunks and re-stapled the carpet. There is a lot of play in the hydraulic steering so I ordered some SeaStar hydraulic fluid to do a good purge on that some time next week.

E3763-CE7-3-BB4-4-B7-D-A021-5-C9-C14-DF50-E3.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got to the lakehouse for some family isolation vacation.  The good news is that the old girl, despite not having much use the last couple of years, fired right up.  The less than good news is when we were about to go out for a little cruise last night, the key spun in the ignition.  Couldn't find a new ignition locally on Mother's Day, so having to order it.  Fortunately, I was able to start her up and hold the key precisely in the "run" position to get it back to the launch this morning. 

Got the teak oiled and a few bits of carpet glued back.  At 22 years old, she's still a looker.

L-Hz4t8-Mdc-FXmzwy-Pv-SO3-Kfr5-T06-Js-IC

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 8

Great weather this weekend and should have been out on the water

It was blowing nearly 30 sustained on Saturday AM, but had some prop testing I needed to get done. I typically run a 26” B1 as my everyday, heavy load prop, and a 28” B1XS for my winter and tournament prop. Well the 26 lost a few mph over the years, so I took it to Baumann, and he put that aggy magic on it and returned it with even less performance (wtf). So anyhow, ran this new 27” PT. I couldn’t quite get the revs I needed but this would be a nice prop. I was getting ALOT of speed but just couldn’t swing it all the way out. Decided to go back with a new 26” B1 instead of sending this one back and forth to get it right (would either be a 25 or 26). Another thing was it is 3# heavier (25%) than a B1. And the original B1 lasted about 8 years before we lost 3 mph, so that’s good enough for me. Anyhow, was just nice to be on the boat again.
33db6f046ca418035a6c366234257f23.jpg

f28ce294fc5062b2b80824f89e202a51.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Not allowed to go - CR isn’t letting anyone from out of the country in right now - but got this from one of my mates today. Little Tico fucker took it out fishing today which he is always allowed to do. He’s been with me for years and I love him like family but told him next time he better ship me some fresh fish. Captain is stuck here in Port A right now. I never worry I know they will always keep the boat in good shape. I’ll be on the first plane down on Southwest when they open back up. Figure I can avoid IAH and get through San Jose with mask and without touching anything. Picked up at the airport and straight to the boat, fish, and come back. Should be safer than visiting my local grocery store.

84080FBA-EF25-4263-9178-5D646B78A4BC.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 5

Blew off work, well hourly rate work, took the boat out toward the perd with my favorite CFO and a young talented entrepreneur, pitched a business deal, watched the thunderbird flyover from the lake, and had the best wake surf run I’ve ever had all in an afternoon. Killer day. It’s been a long time since I felt that normal.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Anyone got a rec on a 1500lb trailer jack brand?  Cheap one from Bass pro shop got water in it and rusted out until the handle snapped. Possible replacements? Etrailer or west marine?

Magnum trailer. They have what you need.

Anyone got a rec on a 1500lb trailer jack brand?  Cheap one from Bass pro shop got water in it and rusted out until the handle snapped. Possible replacements? Etrailer or west marine?

Try this brand. The plastic part of my handle finally has an issue so it is getting replaced, but I had no issues for the 11 years prior. This one is only 1000# but I’m certain they make what you need.

7c4505d6e2449c10b018b2e71620f943.jpg

• Like 1

Blew off work, well hourly rate work, took the boat out toward the perd with my favorite CFO and a young talented entrepreneur, pitched a business deal, watched the thunderbird flyover from the lake, and had the best wake surf run I’ve ever had all in an afternoon. Killer day. It’s been a long time since I felt that normal.

Nice we went all the way up to the Perd the other day. How’s your house coming along?

23 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

Nice we went all the way up to the Perd the other day. How’s your house coming along?

we should all schedule an evening or weekend and meet up out there one day this summer, could be a disaster.  

house is dragging on, but we should break ground around June 1.  pretty stoked about it.  gf decided to go nuts and do the stuff her clients don't ask her to do so she's preparing for the zombie apocalypse and making it out of ICF concrete, with a 45,000 gal rainwater collection system and built for solar while maintaining a MCM/contemporary design on the exterior, should be a feat when done.  so those mods took a few extra months but she's now happy and we are about to start.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

we should all schedule an evening or weekend and meet up out there one day this summer, could be a disaster.  
house is dragging on, but we should break ground around June 1.  pretty stoked about it.  gf decided to go nuts and do the stuff her clients don't ask her to do so she's preparing for the zombie apocalypse and making it out of ICF concrete, with a 45,000 gal rainwater collection system and built for solar while maintaining a MCM/contemporary design on the exterior, should be a feat when done.  so those mods took a few extra months but she's now happy and we are about to start.

Bee creek, much closer to all

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Try this brand. The plastic part of my handle finally has an issue so it is getting replaced, but I had no issues for the 11 years prior. This one is only 1000# but I’m certain they make what you need.

7c4505d6e2449c10b018b2e71620f943.jpg

This post kind of got me off my ass a bit.  Looked them up and I can get the new handle for $12.  So guess that’ll get done next week. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G650 said:

What's the rush.

1) I just like everything to be ship shape, even on this old sled.  

2)Plastic handle fell off a little while ago, and I’ll end up with tetanus from what was under it if I don’t just fix it right.  

3)Was just going to buy a new jack but not impressed with what I found in box stores.   Handle is easy peasy and just needed a reminder. 

4) I convinced wife to start storing it down the street ($$) instead of my own barn so I could get it back to best condition.   Nothing major wrong but a few things like this need fixing. 

5) one of these days I’m going to use it again.  God I need some days on the water soon. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, markstanco said:

I dont personally own a boat as of today for the first time since 1996. Company owned is much cheaper.

I don’t personally own a boat I like for the first first time since around then (still have pontoon and jet skis), and it royally sucks. I informed my wife this past weekend that I was going to be making a not well thought out, stupid purchase in the near future. She just shook her head and more than likely ordered something expensive and unnecessary to make herself feel like we were even.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brew said:

I don’t personally own a boat I like for the first first time since around then (still have pontoon and jet skis), and it royally sucks. I informed my wife this past weekend that I was going to be making a not well thought out, stupid purchase in the near future. She just shook her head and more than likely ordered something expensive and unnecessary to make herself feel like we were even.

that's better than our house.  we make the stupid purchases together.  ended up with a fifth wheel this past monday after first discussing on saturday.  having aligned interests is a very dangerous thing.