The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Yeah, I do believe Horns99 is right.  I remember being on Lake Austin for the fireworks show out at Austin Country Club by the bridge a couple of years ago.  Heading back to the ramp at Walsh Landing I took 3 or 4 waves over the bow.  The boat was near capacity and "washing machine" is a perfect descriptor of the conditions.  Fortunately, the Nautique bilge system handled the unexpected water, but had I been on my old Sea Ray Sport I would of been in trouble.  

Of course, on that lake all I would of had to do was jump out and wade the thing back to shore.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It might not be the Atlantic, but I’d bet it’s more than many of them have seen

I would say both these ideas are 100% accurate. I can guarantee most of these clowns have not seen a 2 foot wave, much less a 10 foot or 20 foot wave.

It’s already been said but this was easily foreseeable if you had told me that many boats all going at the same time.  A nice organized line? No problem, a mad dash from a Fourth of July fireworks display? Yeah you’ll take on water if you don’t know what to do. Lake Travis is narrow and those huge boats churn up the little ones.  Really nothing extraordinary about it.  Everyone knows LT is murder on small boats and the parade route was through some of the roughest parts of the lake.  It really doesn’t smooth out much at all until after you turn N/NW at point venture.  And that was the end spot where they supposedly did a u-turn. Yeah that’s smart. Wash cycle is right, extra soiled heavy duty wash cycle for some of them. Dumbasses.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2020 at 10:28 PM, Anastasis said:

Weather was pretty calm out this way today.  Wasn't on the lake to witness dumbassery, but sat under the dock yesterday morning while the storms passed through.  Felt right, cracked a pop, listened to the rain hit the cover while the kids ran around the dock. 

Your kids have no idea how good they’ve got it.  Well done dad.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2020 at 8:55 PM, fattyflattie said:

So I need to find that float. 100% my speed. 

I had one wash up on shore when I was chilling at the lake. It didn't have the sun shade dammit. I got ripped off on my free float. It lasted for around 5 years before my kids and their friends went a little too crazy in the shallows with the zebra mussels chilling below. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got this text from my cousin who manages Boat Town...

I just took in a 2019 Mastercraft NXT 22 w 165 hours, upgraded sound, Gen 2 Surf System, Mastercraft Trailer w spare, underwater lights and more.

74K w trailer....

Anyone here with knowledge/experience on that rig (any year) please spill the beans and give me the good, bad, and ugly.  I'm heading up first thing tomorrow morning to lake test this one.

IMG_8834.jpeg

On 9/7/2020 at 6:17 PM, Party_Taco said:

62bd069f94ab91a3cd1b2d11be647f3f.jpg

It was a good day

We had this one.  Got a couple of holes and patched, but kept losing air and for the life of me couldn't find the leak so we junked it.  Had got it at Costco for about $75.

spacer.png

Replaced it with this, which we've yet to use.  Got it off Wish for about $90.  Amazingly it came in less than 2 weeks.

spacer.png

Just got this text from my cousin who manages Boat Town...
I just took in a 2019 Mastercraft NXT 22 w 165 hours, upgraded sound, Gen 2 Surf System, Mastercraft Trailer w spare, underwater lights and more.
74K w trailer....
Anyone here with knowledge/experience on that rig (any year) please spill the beans and give me the good, bad, and ugly.  I'm heading up first thing tomorrow morning to lake test this one.
IMG_8834.thumb.jpeg.ec0d1dadd9c32cd155c9617b069f68a3.jpeg

Man, I just don’t like the design philosophy that Mastercraft has going now.

NXT series is their “less frills” line I believe.

So your going from the gold standard to the lesser line of the silver standard with a whack design lol if that makes sense. 74k is a pretty tasty price though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm still torn right now. I love the new Centurion Ri245. I've been flirting with placing an order.  Got the wife all hot and bothered by letting her sit in one and start making color selections while I picked out the other options.   But that's a newly released boat and they don't want to move off the MSRP enough yet to make me happy.  A lightly used Centurion Fi23 or Ri237 at >$50k less seems like the smarter play.  After a season or two then maybe trade in for someone else's Ri245.  Seems like this is the time of year where it starts to become more of a buyer's market on used boats. /crosses fingers  

We had a big floating island like that for a couple of seasons, but found that the adults seldom used it becase we typically preferred to float IN the water on wet buns/life vest diapers, etc.  So the only people using it were the kids, and they actually preferred the lily pad because it was more versatile for floating, wrestling, playing king of the mountain, etc.  

So ultimately we ditched the island and stuck with the lily pad.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

IMG_8834.thumb.jpeg.ec0d1dadd9c32cd155c9617b069f68a3.jpeg

Man, I just don’t like the design philosophy that Mastercraft has going now.

NXT series is their “less frills” line I believe.

So your going from the gold standard to the lesser line of the silver standard with a whack design lol if that makes sense. 74k is a pretty tasty price though.

It is the "less frills" line.  What, specifically do you not like about the design.  I ask only in the spirit of wanting more info, not to debate you.  Is it the pickle fork (not my favorite, btw), the interior design, the tower, all of it?  Spill it mayne!

It is the "less frills" line.  What, specifically do you not like about the design.  I ask only in the spirit of wanting more info, not to debate you.  Is it the pickle fork (not my favorite, btw), the interior design, the tower, all of it?  Spill it mayne!

All of it exterior wise. Interior isn’t too bad.

I don’t like the shape of the boat at all. It isn’t graceful in any capacity. Those pickle forks don’t track worth a shit either. Buddy has an x-star and if your going down a canal or something slowly your constantly going left and right with the wheel.

9f2a82aecd5dc0477406cc9b9de71bc0.jpg

I hate the windshield as well. It just stops. It doesn’t flow into the rest of the boat.

It’s like the Pontiac Aztec design team went over to Mastercraft.

29940d262c7db9c5cd60bc72b04f2f0c.jpg

Much more graceful.

Just my thoughts. Drive that boat slow and see if it tracks.

• Like 1

THAT is the kind of info I was looking for.   Thank you for elaborating.  That will help me during the lake test and I will indeed take it slow and check its track.

And, agreed, I like the look of the Nautique over just about all other designs out there.

The things that I find attractive about this one (without having actually driven one) are the newness (2019 vs 2005 current), low hours (165 vs 570 current), wake system (Gen 2 vs just a ballast system current), horsepower (380 hp vs 330hp current), 48 months left on the factory warranty, and finally the price (I can write a check and be done).  

Something else I place value on is that purchased through Boat Town means that I have an "in" though my cousin with mechanics who are schooled specifically on keeping MasterCraft up and running.  Having my Nautique and not having that personal connect with the same type of mechanic situation, especially with an older boat, has been a bit frustrating at times.  For instance, I called Sail and Ski here in San Antonio (Authorized Nautique Dealer) about a month ago wanting to get a service done and they couldn't even look at the boat for "8 to 10 weeks".  I wouldn't get that response from my cousin.  I put a crap ton of value on that.

Having said that, they do have other boats.

Edited by Cajun

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I don’t like the shape of the boat at all. It isn’t graceful in any capacity. Those pickle forks don’t track worth a shit either. Buddy has an x-star and if your going down a canal or something slowly your constantly going left and right with the wheel.

redboat.JPG.756c975447357040fd8691351e8646c4.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

THAT is the kind of info I was looking for.   Thank you for elaborating.  That will help me during the lake test and I will indeed take it slow and check its track.

And, agreed, I like the look of the Nautique over just about all other designs out there.

The things that I find attractive about this one (without having actually driven one) are the newness (2019 vs 2005 current), low hours (165 vs 570 current), wake system (Gen 2 vs just a ballast system current), horsepower (380 hp vs 330hp current), 48 months left on the factory warranty, and finally the price (I can write a check and be done).  

Something else I place value on is that purchased through Boat Town means that I have an "in" though my cousin with mechanics who are schooled specifically on keeping MasterCraft up and running.  Having my Nautique and not having that personal connect with the same type of mechanic situation, especially with an older boat, has been a bit frustrating at times.  For instance, I called Sail and Ski here in San Antonio (Authorized Nautique Dealer) about a month ago wanting to get a service done and they couldn't even look at the boat for "8 to 10 weeks".  I wouldn't get that response from my cousin.  I put a crap ton of value on that.

Having said that, they do have other boats.

If you’re not interested, shoot me some pictures and his contact if you can. If you don’t mind, I’ll PM you my email address. I’m looking for an XT but considering an NXT. It is their budget series to compete with the Axis line from Malibu. The interiors are simple composites and vinyl, straight edges with no shaping, carpet instead of the new composite materials, more manual functions instead of all the digital electronic, older series tower, etc. It’s right up my alley as I think all the electronic crap is BS now and serves no purpose. The NXT is a budget wakeboat only, the XT is an upgrade that you can still slalom behind. The NXT is narrow and a closer approximation of the old 205 series boats in size, hull design, and wake from my experience with them. The XT is more akin to their larger series but still with budget items.

If you are looking for flash, the NXT is not your boat. It will be a simple boat which appeals to me. I don’t like not having a wraparound window, don’t really like the tower, don’t like the way they have tied the trailer and boat profiles together, but I’m looking for a wakeboard boat with little of the flashy stuff which is why I’m looking at them. You can find close out 20’s for high 80’s/low 90’s in leftover colors, so the pricing is decent. I believe the ‘20 has a HP upgrade to it.

Pickleforks have less v at the water level so they will track differently at idle than a standard V. It’s a trade off with front seating. I’ve never noticed an issue with it, but I don’t operate in tight spaces. All wake boats have their on quirks on how they drive and ride. The Centurion above is one of the best riding wakeboats on the market and one of the only ones I would own in a rougher water setup because they still use a deeper v on their models. 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Ha!

I glanced quickly at that Enzo and thought it was Nautique.  Helluva resemblence and a damned fine looking boat.  

Oh, and I agree 100% on the windshield design of the MasterCraft.  WTF?

The BTS design window is supposed to be more functional docking, talking to downed riders, dealing with ropes, etc. Several companies have moved that direction. I prefer the classic lines of the wraparound windshield, a 4 point tower, and clean lines on the boat design but not to the tune of the money involved in them now. I can buy a new NXT for what I’m looking at 8 year old SAN’s and Wakesetters for.

Thanks for that Brew.  Makes sense on the windshield, but still don't like the look.

And your last sentence is where I find myself smack dab in the middle of right now.  All things being equal and it'd be a SAN, but fuck they are hard to find at a price point under 100k unless they have a shitpile of hours on them.

Edited by Cajun
Oh, and I'll definitely send you all the info on it if I decide to pass. I'll take some pics and video during the lake test too and send them your way if...

3 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I hate the windshield as well. It just stops. It doesn’t flow into the rest of the boat.

It’s like the Pontiac Aztec design team went over to Mastercraft.

29940d262c7db9c5cd60bc72b04f2f0c.jpg

Much more graceful.

Just my thoughts. Drive that boat slow and see if it tracks.

That is a probably ‘08 Enzo I would guess, the new Centurions look nothing like that. The only line I can think of that is even close is Malibu’s LSV line and Nautique’s 210/230 line. There are probably others I’m not thinking of at the moment, but most have moved to a modified version of the pickle fork for bow seating.

4 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

I'm still torn right now. I love the new Centurion Ri245. I've been flirting with placing an order.  Got the wife all hot and bothered by letting her sit in one and start making color selections while I picked out the other options.   But that's a newly released boat and they don't want to move off the MSRP enough yet to make me happy.  A lightly used Centurion Fi23 or Ri237 at >$50k less seems like the smarter play.  After a season or two then maybe trade in for someone else's Ri245.  Seems like this is the time of year where it starts to become more of a buyer's market on used boats. /crosses fingers  

That’s a big ass boat just for the record. You always hear the adage “No one ever wished they had a smaller boat”, but I can say unequivocally the 22-23 foot series are the perfect size in my book for a wakeboat. Even if you are regularly out with 8-10 people, they still have plenty of room for people and storage. The big 24-26 foot boats are super wide, less maneuverable, a lot to trailer/tow, have to have 4000 pounds of ballast to get them to sit, burn gas, and 90% of the time you aren’t using the space. I’ve had multiple 20 footers with 8 foot or less beams and never said to myself I needed 5 more feet of boat.

30 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Thanks for that Brew.  Makes sense on the windshield, but still don't like the look.

And your last sentence is where I find myself smack dab in the middle of right now.  All things being equal and it'd be a SAN, but fuck they are hard to find at a price point under 100k unless they have a shitpile of hours on them.

There are some newer 21’s out there, but the 23/25’s are few and far between. I would look at the MC XT’s if you want a few more frills. There are also some decent prices on X23’s out there as well.

Buxton Marine still has several G series boats in your price range and a nice x23. There are also some reasonable priced options still on Boat Trader if you cycle out all the new ones.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

What are y'all's thoughts on Mastercraft NXT vs Moomba vs Axis?  I know there has been some positive talk about Axis upthread.  I've been casually looking around a bit, and I'd prefer to stay in that 75-90k range (never used to think that would be so hard...).

I gather those are the Toyota, Honda, and Nissan to their respective Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti.  My primary purposes would be for wakeboarding and surfing.   Any opinions on one vs the other?  Or in that range is it better or possible to pick up an older Nautique or Supra?