The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

13 hours ago, RMac5 said:

This is a cool looking Master Craft, I would think that black interior would be hot as shit though, not to mention the water spots.789d07a283166b4be8f60dc09fb747b6.pngb336dfc9152517d7f9a9d94feca6342b.pngd1123a66155eb264f9c113ba4b0dd7f3.png

Or you could save a ton of money and just put a motor and propeller on one of these and come out about the same...

iu.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Lol at the lifted excursion with 2wd. 

No shit.  I had a two wheel drive Suburban as my boat hauler for all of about a week.  First time to Mary Quinlan Ramp, spun the tires trying to haul out, had to get about 7 guys to stand on my bumper, and bought a 4WD F150 about a week later.

Rookie mistake, but I learned my lesson quick.

F150 pops it out no problem every damn time.

One thing I'll say is that this Mastercraft pops out of the water at the ramp and tows a lot easier than my Nautique.

When I mentioned that to my cousin at Boat Town he nodded along and then explained that eventhough the two boats are similar in weight, the Nautique carries a lot more of it aft than the MC which changes the trailering characteristics tremendously.

I would have thought it would make a bit of difference, but damn, night and day.

My plan before I lucked out with a slip at a marina was to tow my Ri237 with an X7.  It's has AWD and a 7500# towing capacity with a factory-installed hitch, but the prospect was still quite scary, especially since I've been watching Qualified Captain and other similar video series. 

8 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Pretty cool-looking competitor to Jeep Wrangler, but can it tow for shit?  

This.  I see 3500lbs in the spec sheets and that nothing.    I bought a new Ram Diesel to tow the travel trailer and we took my Dad's old suburban to tow the boat with on camping trips this summer.  Wife has driven a minivan forever and we have been thinking of getting rid of the van and sub and get her into something that that can tow up to 5k and only have 2 vehicles in the driveway.  

Edited by davidg

8 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Am I going to end up on "Austin Boat Ramps" with my 97 4runner that can tow 5000 pounds if I get a 23/24 foot boat?

It's got 4wd and has a ton of torque at the low end.

My boat is a 20' dual console Key West with a Yam F150 4 stroke sitting on an aluminum 2 axle trailer and all loaded up its about 4k.  My daughter has a 4x4 Tacoma and we've pulled it back and forth to the boat shed a few times on surface streets and I really wouldn't want to my boat with it at highway speeds.  I think it has a tow rating of about 6500lbs but it seems like the boat wants to push the truck around a bit too much for me.

A 24' wake boat is probably 5K+ by itself and another 1K for the trailer so you might be 6-7K which IMO is overloading a Taco/4runner for highway travel. 

3 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Pretty cool-looking competitor to Jeep Wrangler, but can it tow for shit?  

I'm going to guess that's a yes.

But it's only a guess.

I'd shoot for the diesel version as word is it'll be rated for 5000lbs.

Edited by Cajun

Don't plan on getting on the highway, 99% of miles will be the mile to and from the lake.

Your short distance and your ramp not being too steep weigh in your favor. Travis ramps are generally steeper than Austin’s. But you have a lot working against you. Find out what your weight on trailer is and then add more for gas in the tank, water that didn’t drain from your ballasts fully, wet life jackets, tubes, ropes, dock lines, bumpers, coolers, anchors, tools, spare parts, etc.

For reference, mine is 6950# factory “weight on trailer” before adding all the aforementioned variables for a 23’7” boat.

I’d put rubber floor mats in the 4Runner just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

Am I going to end up on "Austin Boat Ramps" with my 97 4runner that can tow 5000 pounds if I get a 23/24 foot boat?

It's got 4wd and has a ton of torque at the low end.

I have the same gen 4Runner (2001) and 4WD also and no way I would tow anything close to 5000 pounds.  Before buying it new I took the demo model up and down 360 and finally decided it could get up and down the hills - that was without any additional weight. I can't imagine towing anything bigger than a bass boat around the hills of Austin and even then I would have trailer brakes.  IIRC it has about 185 HP and 220 ft lbs of torque. That might get the boat out of the water but you are assuming you can get it to the water. Even though you mentioned no highways I would sure take a test run with the 4Runner before buying.

Edited by AUinHsv

I towed my American skier quite a bit with my 4Runner (same as yours bob) and that was prob 3000 all in. All over austin I towed that thing.

Double the weight? Nah. I don’t think so.

But 1 mile or so to and from without getting on the highway.....it would prob be fine.

Do. Not. Forget. To. Put. In. 4wd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Salesman was pretty funny.

"Your 4runner should be fine for a mile from your house to the lake. I had same era toyota pickup and a T23 and it was fine. But when you bring it here for maintenance you'll want to call us to come get it"

I was thinking

Frontage road -> howard -> Metric -> Burnet -> 45th -> Lamar -> barton springs -> bee cave road

but yeah, I'm probably borrowing a big pickup

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Salesman was pretty funny.

"Your 4runner should be fine for a mile from your house to the lake. I had same era toyota pickup and a T23 and it was fine. But when you bring it here for maintenance you'll want to call us to come get it"

Wow, a salesman that actually told you your vehicle might not be up the the task.  I would have expected a Your truck is fine or some other bullshit to try to close the deal.

Some serious coin getting dropped the last few pages, your move [mention=93]troph[/mention].

We decided to stick with ours for now. Besides we are distracted with the RV money pit at this very moment. And your the one without a boat man, it’s actually your move!

You guys bring your big dogs on your boats?  I have a 85# chocolate lab (named Major) who loved to come out with us on the old pontoon. I'm not sure he'll ever be scoring an invite onto the wake surf though.  He has feet the size of dinner plates and I worry he'd scratch up the GatorStep or vinyl.  I feel bad that the poor guy was stuck in the house all day yesterday though. 

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

If you've got a dog, especially a freakin' Lab, and you're not getting that F'er out on the water with you, you're doing it wrong.

So, very very wrong.

Oh, he's definitely a water dog. We have a community dock on Lake Austin that he loves.  Although one time he ended up getting stapled on all four paws b/c of the damn zebra mussels.  He was a regular on the pontoon, but even with the nail grinding suggestions, I'm still a little hesitant to get him out on a nearly brand new Centurion.

5 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Oh, he's definitely a water dog. We have a community dock on Lake Austin that he loves.  Although one time he ended up getting stapled on all four paws b/c of the damn zebra mussels.  He was a regular on the pontoon, but even with the nail grinding suggestions, I'm still a little hesitant to get him out on a nearly brand new Centurion.

I could never take mine out on the wakeboats. He rides on the pontoon and then he goes out with us when we rent boats at the beach. A lot depends on the interior. I’ve noticed with some interiors his claws would mark the seats some while on others it didn’t show anything.