The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, Fat Bastard said:

Don’t know shit about boats. About to start building a lake house. What’s everyone’s opinion on Yamaha jet boats?  

We have friends that we float with that have one, and they really like it, it's Yamaha, so it is very reliable, and maintenance is low, you also won't ding up a prop. They are going to get rid of their current one, and move up a size. You can also get thrust vectors on them now that helps with low speed maneuverability, and docking. Supposed to be better than the Sea Doo model.

CHIEF

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

We have friends that we float with that have one, and they really like it, it's Yamaha, so it is very reliable, and maintenance is low, you also won't ding up a prop. They are going to get rid of their current one, and move up a size. You can also get thrust vectors on them now that helps with low speed maneuverability, and docking. Supposed to be better than the Sea Doo model.

CHIEF

take a look at Scarab too.  Plenty of size options.  I think these types of boats make a lot on sense.   The pricing of Mastercraft Etc are insane.  I mean, is everyone trying to turn pro and needs one of these 200K rigs?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Bastard said:

Don’t know shit about boats. About to start building a lake house. What’s everyone’s opinion on Yamaha jet boats?  

Jet boats have a use I suppose, but it’s an oversized jet ski that serves no purpose in my book to be up front about it. I’ve never understood their target market outside of they were cheap at one point in time. They were susceptible to tail wag when pulling, they aren’t good at low speeds, ride quality wasn’t great, etc. although I am sure they have worked on all those things. 

If you want to run around with people and just pull tubes, it would work but so would a tri-toon with a much better seating layout. I think any use you have I could make an argument for a better boat and when it comes to multi-use I would take just about any variety out there over one.

38 minutes ago, PorscheGuy said:

take a look at Scarab too.  Plenty of size options.  I think these types of boats make a lot on sense.   The pricing of Mastercraft Etc are insane.  I mean, is everyone trying to turn pro and needs one of these 200K rigs?  

Several good sub $100k options for new wakeboard boats, plenty of even cheaper options in the I/O market, plenty of tri-toon options that will do what most people want to do, etc. The top end has gotten ridiculous for sure, but there is still a lot of availability at different ranges. 

I have zero idea what a new jet boat costs, but I think I could find a better alternative. I’m also clearly biased against them, so take that for what it is worth.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Jet boats have a use I suppose, but it’s an oversized jet ski that serves no purpose in my book to be up front about it. I’ve never understood their target market outside of they were cheap at one point in time. They were susceptible to tail wag when pulling, they aren’t good at low speeds, ride quality wasn’t great, etc. although I am sure they have worked on all those things. 

If you want to run around with people and just pull tubes, it would work but so would a tri-toon with a much better seating layout. I think any use you have I could make an argument for a better boat and when it comes to multi-use I would take just about any variety out there over one.

Yeah, we have a 26 foot Bennington tri-toon, its rated for 17 people, seats 11 comfortably. We've talked about getting something else when CHIEF Jr. gets out of college, but I would rather just keep it, it has the tow ring attachment on the back and runs fast enough to throw people off. The tubing days have been over for about 10 years though.

Jets aren't my thing either, however, they are very forgiving if you have a lot of stumps and timber in your lake, shallow areas, or if you park it up on the beach at times. If you are a recreational boater that travels to lakes that you aren't familiar with, it seems like it could keep you out of trouble. I worked at Bay Marine on LBJ one summer, I bet they repaired $100k worth of lower units and outdrives in that 3 months. About half of those came from visitors that drug their boat down to Horseshoe Bay Resort for a weekend, and didn't know which side of the bank to hug when you came into the marina. I remember, at that time, the shaft, rudder, and new prop on an Air Nautique was about $6500. Expensive mistake, and that was 20 years ago, I bet it's five figures now.

Might be good for someone starting out, get one cheap, then sell it in a year or two.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Buy cheap, then get rid of it.

Lot more to know here for a good recommendation. Lake / River ? Location ? How many people usually? Just looking for boat to go cruising in or more water sports focus ? Give us some details & you will get plenty of good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Handcruser said:

They don’t do anything great.

What do you want to do with your boat? Have kids?

Lake Travis. Have 3 kids, 7/5/1. Mostly to get them to have some fun and if they ever get into wakeboarding to have a decent option at that. Smart money is to buy some used shit, learn the ropes, see how the kids take to it. But, I’m really digging that Yamaha 255xd. Again, zero frame of reference. Just going by my buddy’s opinion who’s got a lake house in lake Charles. 

I can see the appeal, some cool features. Backward facing seats and the precision steering (if it works). Not sure that wave is much of a wave though.  I don’t know the sticker price but my first boat was $20k (2001 colbalt 26 feet - still miss the elegance of that ride), and I had the freedom to bump and scratch my way through the IRL docking lessons we all have to go through.  So if I was starting again, I’d buy used at a price that didn’t make me anxious. 

4392F942-00C1-40C1-BBE0-C82DF1DEBAEE.jpeg

I wouldn’t consider LT a prop killing lake as long as you learn the sandbars and they aren’t hard to find.  Some coves and the perd are jacked up with trees from the long drought but in 10 years of boating the only prop issue we had was operator error with a rope.

to me the main reason to consider that jet boat would be if they really do have the steering in dock situations down to a science.  Currently the boats that have those propulsion features are way above $100k. 

I would not buy it because the wake / wave looks weak.

Edited by troph

If you are willing to spend $100k+ on an oversized jet ski, I would at least demo it, a Cobalt R3, a high level Tritoon, and an Axis A24/T23 or Mastercraft XT22 and see want kind of boat suits your needs and that you prefer to drive. If it’s the wakeboat style, every brand pretty well has a $100k option at this point. If it’a the I/O style, there are plenty of options out there sub $100k.

Wakeboard boat - best option for pulling anything, most suck to just ride around on if you want to just cruise because of the hull design

I/O - decent option to pull especially beginner wakeboarders, best option to run up and down a large lake on.

Pontoon - ultimate party barge and cruiser, will pull anything but definitely for beginners or just tubing.

Personally, with no boat experience I would take Troph’s advice and pick up a decent used boat fairly cheap that isn’t going to make you sick the first time you hit the dock/sandbar with it. I have never bought a new boat in 20ish years of boat ownership. Too much crap happens to them and I want to have fun and my kids have fun and not worry every time something touches it.

I am a wakeboat guy. I love them, I’ve had 7 I think, I’m looking for a new one now, etc. Saying that, my pontoon and even the jet skis get used more than my wakeboat. If you’re building a lake house, you really need to think about multiple reasonable options rather than 1 high dollar one. I have a reasonably cheap pontoon that gets used to ride people around, a floating dock on the lake for people to tie up too and swim off of, all eating takes place on it, etc. I have jet skis for the kids and adults to screw around on individually. Then I have the wakeboard boat (not currently because I sold my last one) that pulls everything. The last group was probably $65k combined in all of that and every use is covered. Most every house on our lake has a similar setup although most have spent way over that for their toys.

Shit had no idea that thing is $100k+ so even more reason not to buy. I saw an Instagram add for the new Supras and they have the propulsion boosters.  If I tick up above $100k new I’m probably looking for 2-3 years old with that feature in a formerly $150k new but now $100k used boat. 

if you have your own dock I love the idea of an all purpose and a wake boat (used) all in for $100k. $20k on a no frills pontoon or bow rider easy rider (god that 26 ft colbalt floated on lake Travis) and a used but nice wake boat at $80k.  That’s a great set up. 

30 minutes ago, troph said:

Shit had no idea that thing is $100k+ so even more reason not to buy. I saw an Instagram add for the new Supras and they have the propulsion boosters.  If I tick up above $100k new I’m probably looking for 2-3 years old with that feature in a formerly $150k new but now $100k used boat. 

if you have your own dock I love the idea of an all purpose and a wake boat (used) all in for $100k. $20k on a no frills pontoon or bow rider easy rider (god that 26 ft colbalt floated on lake Travis) and a used but nice wake boat at $80k.  That’s a great set up. 

I didn’t either until I pulled it up. It has a starting price of $93k, I’m sure walk out the door of the lot is under that by $15k or more then add back options and a trailer. I also like how there are no clear wake shots in their videos online. 

If you are on the water, two boats is always going to beat one boat. I didn’t even bring up the fishing boats I keep as that is a different discussion. I think I may have a boat problem.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Brew said:

I didn’t either until I pulled it up. It has a starting price of $93k, I’m sure walk out the door of the lot is under that by $15k or more then add back options and a trailer. I also like how there are no clear wake shots in their videos online. 

If you are on the water, two boats is always going to beat one boat. I didn’t even bring up the fishing boats I keep as that is a different discussion. I think I may have a boat problem.

Or sail boat and cabin cruiser either. 

that video I linked shows the wave twice and it barely comes up half way to his knee.  That’s nonsense. I’m a tall drink of water and my axis comes up to my knee - almost 3 feet and I still want more wave.  It’s like the cowbell, you can always use more wave. I would be wholly unsatisfied with that boat foe surfing. 

43 minutes ago, Brew said:

I have four boat problems, and if it were up to my son, he would add a fifth. I agree that if you want to wakeboard, you have to have a dedicated wake boat. The boat that throws the best wake is a Centurion, made in the same factory as Air Nautique, but are hand built. The irony is, they are considerably cheaper than the Air Nautique because of name recognition.

CHIEF

1 hour ago, Brew said:

If you’re building a lake house, you really need to think about multiple reasonable options rather than 1 high dollar one. I have a reasonably cheap pontoon that gets used to ride people around, a floating dock on the lake for people to tie up too and swim off of, all eating takes place on it, etc. I have jet skis for the kids and adults to screw around on individually. Then I have the wakeboard boat (not currently because I sold my last one) that pulls everything. The last group was probably $65k combined in all of that and every use is covered. Most every house on our lake has a similar setup although most have spent way over that for their toys.

This setup is what we are aiming for. We have a Centurion and 2 Jet Skis now and I want to get a Pontoon boat for all the reasons you list plus something to do light fishing out of for the kids and their cousins. 

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I have four boat problems, and if it were up to my son, he would add a fifth. I agree that if you want to wakeboard, you have to have a dedicated wake boat. The boat that throws the best wake is a Centurion, made in the same factory as Air Nautique, but are hand built. The irony is, they are considerably cheaper than the Air Nautique because of name recognition.

CHIEF

Wakeboats are like trucks, women, etc, everyone has an opinion on what is the best. I don’t know that you will find much support on Centurions throwing the best wake (surf maybe, board no) , but I will say they are one of the best riding wakeboats I’ve been in especially the older ones. They have a deeper V format that is better in chop than a lot of the other brands. They are also pretty well lined up with Nautiques price wise at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brew said:

Wakeboats are like trucks, women, etc, everyone has an opinion on what is the best. I don’t know that you will find much support on Centurions throwing the best wake (surf maybe, board no) , but I will say they are one of the best riding wakeboats I’ve been in especially the older ones. They have a deeper V format that is better in chop than a lot of the other brands. They are also pretty well lined up with Nautiques price wise at this point.

Yes, best for surfing. CHIEF Jr. is into wake surfing, and knows enough people to have surfed behind them all. He said the Centurion has less air bubbles and a bigger curl for surfing. The hull design is the best. He also said the Centurion is ram filled ballast bags vs. pump filled. You can take on 3000 lbs. of ballast water in about 90 seconds.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
ram fill

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Yes, best for surfing. CHIEF Jr. is into wake surfing, and knows enough people to have surfed behind them all. He said the Centurion has less air bubbles and a bigger curl for surfing. The hull design is the best. He also said the Centurion is ram filled ballast bags vs. pump filled. You can take on 3000 lbs. of ballast water in about 90 seconds.

CHIEF

That's fucking impressive.  My NXT takes on just over half that and it takes a fuckload longer.

3k lbs is insane.

40 minutes ago, Cajun said:

That's fucking impressive.  My NXT takes on just over half that and it takes a fuckload longer.

3k lbs is insane.

Ram fill setup, you have to be moving and it basically opens vents that force water into the ballast system. It works great for wakesurfing where you want max ballast, but I have not been impressed with it for dialing in for wakeboarding. You basically just max fill and then back it down. I prefer flipping my switches while we’re sitting and getting ready and letting it fill to whatever level I want based on passengers. Everything in boating is preference though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ram fill setup, you have to be moving and it basically opens vents that force water into the ballast system. It works great for wakesurfing where you want max ballast, but I have not been impressed with it for dialing in for wakeboarding. You basically just max fill and then back it down. I prefer flipping my switches while we’re sitting and getting ready and letting it fill to whatever level I want based on passengers. Everything in boating is preference though.

Same. Get on the water, flip switches, drink a beer, then ride.
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Brew said:

I'm learning.

Much grass.

48 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Same. Get on the water, flip switches, drink a Fresca, then ride.

fifm

If I had captained one of these things back in my Dean Martin days there is almost zero doubt I'd be swapping crawfish recipes with my Celly...

iu.jpeg

spending two nights on a 50+ foot Hatteras. Gently used, great condition. 

gorgeous interior, plush carpet and two sizable staterooms.  helm and aft are huge. the impressive part is the width. That’s what she said. This boat has tons of room. I’ll get some pics tomorrow.

Edited by troph

The layout on this is pretty damn great. Two large staterooms. The master suite is lacking in nothing the only thing that would make it better is a king sized bed.  Two bunks for crew and sharing the general use bathroom. All of that below.  Then the galley, sitting and dining up top.  

I could get used to this. 

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

On what body of water will this vessel be residing?   Also, (how does the ass take that) length?

It’s 34 feet...Carver C34.  It was pretty much the most boat I could find that would still fit in our existing slip, which I wanted to keep because we like our location and layout.

• Hook 'Em 1