The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

22 minutes ago, troph said:

I'm very open to it, at least round one in south florida if we go that route. I think our fantasy (which it is at this point) of cruising or sailing the Med probably has to be solo unless we find a couple that we just love being around.  but that's highly unlikely, even our best of friends that we travel with annoy us within 3 days.  with all there is to do in South Florida and trips to the Bahamas, December through March is easy to divide up so everyone gets a month or even more to themselves.  Buying a $1.5M retirement cruiser or sailing yacht and splitting that and op costs 3-4 ways ($375,000 - $500,000 on the boat) is kinda brilliant.

Been in a partnership, with Brisket, and one other buddy, and it was great. We all fished together anyway. The payment was cheap enough that it really wasn't an arrangement to spread out a financial burden. But with such a small expenditure for each of us, it meant we got to go fishing a lot more often. We all were starting families, money wasn't really tight, but when payment and maintenance were less than $100 a month each, there never really was a time we had to worry.

I would say, though. I wouldn't enter into a partnership on anything that I didn't have the means to pay for, by myself. Partnerships can, and often do, go South. You are counting on everyone at the table to be making sound financial decisions, and not get over extended. You also have to be like-minded on maintenance, repairs, and adding electronics, etc.

CHIEF 

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, CHIEF said:

Been in a partnership, with Brisket, and one other buddy, and it was great. We all fished together anyway. The payment was cheap enough that it really wasn't an arrangement to spread out a financial burden. But with such a small expenditure for each of us, it meant we got to go fishing a lot more often. We all were starting families, money wasn't really tight, but when payment and maintenance were less than $100 a month each, there never really was a time we had to worry.

I would say, though. I wouldn't enter into a partnership on anything that I didn't have the means to pay for, by myself. Partnerships can, and often do, go South.

CHIEF 

for sure, but being able to afford in a pinch and wanting to save that cash for later years, or save it for something else doesn't mean you can't do the p/s.  btw, I spend considerable time doing work outs, force outs, buy outs, and litigation around partners going sideways.  I've seen 20 years of partnerships work and not work, and quite honestly, the two things that matter most - and far more than any lawyering can do - is each partner knowing who they are and what their limitations are in the deal, and clear/honest communication, including conflict resolution.  It truly comes down to being a good partner, much like a marriage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Barker.  Probably not best for a first boat but it’s in the price range and does all that. No cabin obviously.   But when he gets tired of the wife bitching I’ll buy that old depreciated thing...

I love the 26 Open/Bay, but there has been a ton of drama around Kevin the last few years with them putting out a cat model. I don’t remember all the details but it was a mess from what I remember.

50 minutes ago, troph said:

for sure, but being able to afford in a pinch and wanting to save that cash for later years, or save it for something else doesn't mean you can't do the p/s.  btw, I spend considerable time doing work outs, force outs, buy outs, and litigation around partners going sideways.  I've seen 20 years of partnerships work and not work, and quite honestly, the two things that matter most - and far more than any lawyering can do - is each partner knowing who they are and what their limitations are in the deal, and clear/honest communication, including conflict resolution.  It truly comes down to being a good partner, much like a marriage. 

You have my email if you get serious about South FL down the road and want to talk boat partnerships. I’m on the West Coast, but I’m pretty flexible although I would only be looking at sportfishes and express style. No sailing for me. I prefer internal combustion propulsion.

Just now, Brew said:

You have my email if you get serious about South FL down the road and want to talk boat partnerships. I’m on the West Coast, but I’m pretty flexible although I would only be looking at sportfishes and express style. No sailing for me. I prefer internal combustion propulsion.

sending PM now.

2 hours ago, troph said:

ok adding a new topic...

I'm one week away from the sailing certification restart!  so mariners, sailors!  what's the top list of makers for sea worthy vessels in your experience?  and what is your dream blue water sailing yacht.  just curious.  @Sbbruin @Viking@G650  does look like you can get more boat for the money than MYs and without a massive fuel bill a crew is more affordable. 

A question with a whole host of possible answers.  What do you plan to use it for?  Lots of overnighting?  Offshore?  Personally I would look at a smaller coastal cruiser to start, like a Catalina or Beneteau 30-32 or thereabouts to really cut your teeth and if you really fall in love with it, upgrade later.  You can get them as cheap as $20k for a quality old one, or $100k and up for a newer one.  Everyone has their preferences, but I would stay away from Hunters, only because most are fractional rigs- meaning the forestay only goes about 80% of the way to the top of the mast.  This means they are mainsail driven.  I prefer full rigs where a lot of the power comes from the headsail.  But if you want an offshore boat, that opens up a lot of other (much more expensive) options.  So back to the first question, what is the primary purpose of the boat?

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

A question with a whole host of possible answers.  What do you plan to use it for?  Lots of overnighting?  Offshore?  Personally I would look at a smaller coastal cruiser to start, like a Catalina or Beneteau 30-32 or thereabouts to really cut your teeth and if you really fall in love with it, upgrade later.  You can get them as cheap as $20k for a quality old one, or $100k and up for a newer one.  Everyone has their preferences, but I would stay away from Hunters, only because most are fractional rigs- meaning the forestay only goes about 80% of the way to the top of the mast.  This means they are mainsail driven.  I prefer full rigs where a lot of the power comes from the headsail.  But if you want an offshore boat, that opens up a lot of other (much more expensive) options.  So back to the first question, what is the primary purpose of the boat?

just dreaming.  yeah no we are going to step it up gradually, will have a few years of lake sailing on mid-30s before we did anything (multiple certs, BVI, would not just straight to a big one).  just starting convos. would be 2-3 weeks sailing to the Bahamas etc.  Beneteau 54 for example looks like the tits.

6 minutes ago, troph said:

just dreaming.  yeah no we are going to step it up gradually, will have a few years of lake sailing on mid-30s before we did anything (multiple certs, BVI, would not just straight to a big one).  just starting convos. would be 2-3 weeks sailing to the Bahamas etc.  Beneteau 54 for example looks like the tits.

Uh, yeah, a Benny 54 would be the tits.  And a monster to take care of.  I was really deep into looking at a Beneteau 423, but the family  has always been fairly indifferent about boating so if I’m going to be continuing to do a lot of soloing, then I think I’ll just stick with the Cat 36. 

Edited by Sbbruin

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Uh, yeah, a Benny 54 would be the tits.  And a monster to take care of.  I was really deep into looking at a Beneteau 423, but the family  has always been fairly indifferent about boating so if I’m going to be continuing to do a lot of soloing, then I think I’ll just stick with the Cat 36. 

at its price point I’d want 1-2 partners and someone dedicated to taking care of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

You need a sea faring girlfriend.  

• Haha 1

I have a client (three brothers) that kept a 62 foot Sunreef in St Croix. I just double checked the numbers, they spent about $175k a year on upkeep not including capital improvements. They had a husband/wife that lived on it year round and served as captain/chef that they paid and then all the other costs added up. It got damaged in a hurricane several years ago and they took a bath on it when it all settled. They also found they didn’t go that often because of having to fly back and forth. A US base of operations is much easier to get use out of it I would think.

2 hours ago, troph said:

ok adding a new topic...

I'm one week away from the sailing certification restart!  so mariners, sailors!  what's the top list of makers for sea worthy vessels in your experience?  and what is your dream blue water sailing yacht.  just curious.  @Sbbruin @Viking@G650  does look like you can get more boat for the money than MYs and without a massive fuel bill a crew is more affordable. 

What size range? I'd start with a Swan, but in certain segments I can give you some more options.

Meanwhile, I earned the shit out of this conch burger and Kalik. 300 miles upwind in 20+ knots of breeze. What an ass whipping.

20210219-135458.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Big enough to cross the gulf stream or sail the med. small enough to captain/crew with 1-2 other sailors (could be my sons) without a paid crew.  Big enough to live aboard with a reasonable sense of luxury. On a motor yacht 50-70 feet seems the sweet spot for that but I don’t know sailboats.  The idea on any of these boats is to live aboard at the marina comfortably for a 2 weeks, take some 12-24 hour trips to destinations where we could then hop around and not wish we were onshore in a hotel.  Initially 2-3 weeks tops due to work. After a few years I could see 3-4 weeks as well as some long weekends just staying out at home base. 

but let’s be clear, we start on a 22 footer next week ha! 

1 hour ago, G650 said:

What size range? I'd start with a Swan, but in certain segments I can give you some more options.

Meanwhile, I earned the shit out of this conch burger and Kalik. 300 miles upwind in 20+ knots of breeze. What an ass whipping.

From where to where?  On your sled?

1 hour ago, troph said:

Big enough to cross the gulf stream or sail the med. small enough to captain/crew with 1-2 other sailors (could be my sons) without a paid crew.  Big enough to live aboard with a reasonable sense of luxury. On a motor yacht 50-70 feet seems the sweet spot for that but I don’t know sailboats.  The idea on any of these boats is to live aboard at the marina comfortably for a 2 weeks, take some 12-24 hour trips to destinations where we could then hop around and not wish we were onshore in a hotel.  Initially 2-3 weeks tops due to work. After a few years I could see 3-4 weeks as well as some long weekends just staying out at home base. 

but let’s be clear, we start on a 22 footer next week ha! 

Generally I'd say for what we have been discussing that 50 to 60' sailing yacht is what you are looking for. Any bigger and you will have a hard time handling it yourself. The next question would be budget of course, and that can vary wildly. Offhand I would start with say a Swan 54 on the high end or an X Yachts X4.9 for a more mid range option. Check those out when you have a few and let me know how they look and I can have a better idea of good choices. I can give you seaworthy stuff all day but there is a wide variation in aesthetics. The upside of sail yachts is almost all of them are more seaworthy than any power boat so you don't have to worry too much about that part.

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

From where to where?  On your sled?

Miami Eleuthera race on the carbon shell. Took an ass whipping man.

image.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, G650 said:

Generally I'd say for what we have been discussing that 50 to 60' sailing yacht is what you are looking for. Any bigger and you will have a hard time handling it yourself. The next question would be budget of course, and that can vary wildly. Offhand I would start with say a Swan 54 on the high end or an X Yachts X4.9 for a more mid range option. Check those out when you have a few and let me know how they look and I can have a better idea of good choices. I can give you seaworthy stuff all day but there is a wide variation in aesthetics. The upside of sail yachts is almost all of them are more seaworthy than any power boat so you don't have to worry too much about that part.

Miami Eleuthera race on the carbon shell. Took an ass whipping man.

image.png

That first leg out of Miami looks like it would have been awesome.  Howling on slight broad reach.  Must have been flying.

Ha, Swan or X-Yachts.  Surly .01% indeed.

Edited by Sbbruin

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That first leg out of Miami looks like it would have been awesome.  Howling on slight broad reach.  Must have been flying.

Ha, Swan or X-Yachts.  Surly .01% indeed.

Shit, I wish. That's the Gulf Stream current. We went upwind the whole way till bottom tip of Eleuthera

[mention=93]troph[/mention] we are up in the same area of lake Travis. I’m north shore though in Lago vista at Waterford.  Who else is up our way? I can’t keep track. The reason I’m asking is because we are having major issues with the 50’ yachts that have exploded in the last year. Their rollers are tearing our marina apart. I’m curious if y’all are seeing the same thing? It’s very common that someone has one of the bolts that attaches their lift to the marina is sheared off. I mean one time they rolled thru and the 37’ foot formula next to us destroyed his anchor light and tower when it hit the marina roof. After that bitch rolled thru the entire marina was soaked in water as all the boats rolled with it.  I have so much more to say on this. 

At least it’s a marina with a break wall, try having your private dock out there. It’s like being on a amusement ride sitting on your dock on a holiday weekend. No way any regulations are going to happen / possible. It gets worse as the lake level goes down & the lake gets narrower . We are in between you & troph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

At least it’s a marina with a break wall, try having your private dock out there. It’s like being on a amusement ride sitting on your dock on a holiday weekend. No way any regulations are going to happen / possible. It gets worse as the lake level goes down & the lake gets narrower . We are in between you & troph.

are you on the north or south side?  I feel for those on Lohman Ford Rd. high cliffs, docks all the way down and getting battered by surf boats and cruisers all day long.  some of our really good friends are north shore near volente and they are water front and I do not want.  the noise and traffic is intrusive to their privacy and enjoyment.  early mornings, late evenings and off season yes, boating season on the weekends, uh no. Their view with no boats:

C738078B-923F-4507-9B5F-1851E6013234.jpeg

but this was a chilly evening in the off season. 

Edited by troph

actually some of the swans wouldn't be out of range. they are all over the map?  saw a 2016 54 for like 1.8 yeah that's a negatory. 2002 77 for just under 9 hundo, that's doable, especially with less fuel to burn, would be easy with 2 other co-owners.  seems a tad to much boat though, even after skill acquisition.  all over the map 2005 75FD for $2.8M and a 2002 77 for $900.

Edited by troph

4 minutes ago, troph said:

actually some of the swans wouldn't be out of range. they are all over the map?  saw a 2016 54 for like 1.8 yeah that's a negatory. 2002 77 for just under 9 hundo, that's doable, especially with less fuel to burn, would be easy with 2 other co-owners.  seems a tad to much boat though, even after skill acquisition.  all over the map 2005 75FD for $2.8M and a 2002 77 for $900.

They are depend on age and how well maintained they are. Can definitely be a big difference. Its key to get a good surveyor and broker.

A 77 would be way more than you want. You would need professional crew any time you wanted to sail.

If you like the looks of the X Yacht, also check out a Dehler 46 or Solaris 47.

There's many good options, so just get to looking and we will sort it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

I bet. Twice over summer we are hanging out grilling and one cruised by and the rolling waves follow minutes later. I Look over at my buddies slip and I see the ass end of his boat at like 30 degrees. Second time same scenario but the bow was sitting way up. Both times it was welds that failed. Both are top of the line lifts. I don’t know how my buddies boat didn’t slide down the bunks and bury the bow under his deck. It was crazy. Second time was old news. In both cases we were able to rig them back to level. Took around 20 people. Majority to weigh the lift back to level.  I think they’re coming from the reserve marina. At least according to my friend. He said the dude that sells them does the demos out of there.  They’re responsible for the damage their wake causes but proving it is another thing. We have hundreds of surf boats surf by right off the marina and it’s a minor annoyance. Have you had anything break? 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

They are depend on age and how well maintained they are. Can definitely be a big difference. Its key to get a good surveyor and broker.

A 77 would be way more than you want. You would need professional crew any time you wanted to sail.

If you like the looks of the X Yacht, also check out a Dehler 46 or Solaris 47.

There's many good options, so just get to looking and we will sort it out.

thanks, yeah a 1999 65 in italy for 575K, not out of range, just wildly variable. I'll start poking around.  and the two boat conundrum never dissipates.  sailboats and power boats, fishing boats and cruisers, ugh.

beyond my limit, so far beyond. I don't talk to my dad much anymore but he told stories of the North Atlantic in the Navy, all non-essential personnel strapped into their bunks doing 90 degree rolls from 45L to 45R and guys crying and puking.  no thanks.

8 hours ago, troph said:

ok adding a new topic...

The two monohullers have weighed in so now my turn. I love all sailboats and I'm the first one to hop into the cockpit and peep on every boat that enters the anchorage. "Ooo, that's a Ted Brewer... she's lovely!"

However multihulls are the way to go. They are so much more comfortable at anchor and on passage. We've buddy boated with several monohulls and we feel guilty telling them how the trip went after we hear about their miserable experience. At anchor is even better. We were in Staniel Cay about 2 weeks ago when a blow came through with 35kt winds from the west (so no protection for the big anchorage). The anchorage cleared out 2 days before to hide between the Majors where the current is strong. There was a swell that rocked half the boats the day before and it was miserable for them. Two monos spun around each other and had their rode tangled. Another wrapped its rode around its keel. No one slept well since they were all crammed so tight.

Except for the 3 cats that just took the brunt of the weather. We weren't protected but 3ft seas head-on just isn't a big deal and not at all unconformable. We all slept fine that night.

My dream boats:

Big FU money: Gunboat 68

Normal FU money: Balance 526

Realistic dream: an older Outremer 55

If you were to stick to Florida and Bahamas then there's a lot of great cats. We have friends with a Gemini that has an 18" draft and it's a Bahamas cruising machine. Sooo many badass places you can get to.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hadn’t planned to come down, but the wife asked if I was thinking of heading down.  I told her “I’m ALWAYS thinking of being down here.  You know that.”  She so I should go.  I could have taken offense that she wanted to get rid of me, but I wasn’t going to debate the idea.  I was out the door 10 mins later.  Heck, we did family dinner and a movie last night.  And probably again tomorrow night.  A night to myself isn’t such a bad thing.

51DCDDDF-F454-4A07-8D2D-991FBCE3DC9F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, troph said:

beyond my limit, so far beyond. I don't talk to my dad much anymore but he told stories of the North Atlantic in the Navy, all non-essential personnel strapped into their bunks doing 90 degree rolls from 45L to 45R and guys crying and puking.  no thanks.

My grandad had stories about Japanese torpedoes and sharks and cannibals.  I’ll take the puking and crying if given the choice.

10 minutes ago, Viking said:

The two monohullers have weighed in so now my turn. I love all sailboats and I'm the first one to hop into the cockpit and peep on every boat that enters the anchorage. "Ooo, that's a Ted Brewer... she's lovely!"

However multihulls are the way to go. They are so much more comfortable at anchor and on passage. We've buddy boated with several monohulls and we feel guilty telling them how the trip went after we hear about their miserable experience. At anchor is even better. We were in Staniel Cay about 2 weeks ago when a blow came through with 35kt winds from the west (so no protection for the big anchorage). The anchorage cleared out 2 days before to hide between the Majors where the current is strong. There was a swell that rocked half the boats the day before and it was miserable for them. Two monos spun around each other and had their rode tangled. Another wrapped its rode around its keel. No one slept well since they were all crammed so tight.

Except for the 3 cats that just took the brunt of the weather. We weren't protected but 3ft seas head-on just isn't a big deal and not at all unconformable. We all slept fine that night.

My dream boats:

If you were to stick to Florida and Bahamas then there's a lot of great cats. We have friends with a Gemini that has an 18" draft and it's a Bahamas cruising machine. Sooo many badass places you can get to.

Gunboats are excellent for sure.

15 minutes ago, Viking said:

My dream boats:

Yeah with the smoother ride and kitchen / salon up higher that’s more realistic for my partner. But when I convince G650 to run off together (jk) it’ll be a monohull for sure. Heeling at that angle in the Solaris above would be the adrenaline rush I need. 

funny story she has no idea what I’m doing and she’s playing Jimmy buffet island music in the other room - a solid match we are for sure. Fuck covid. 

Edited by troph

So if anyone wants to know what it's like to be down below on a race boat offshore, here's a little video. The bangs are everytime we go off a wave, and the low howl is the wind in the rigging. You can also see an inflatable throwable hanging on the port side that inflated because of all the water

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My grandad had stories about Japanese torpedoes and sharks and cannibals.  I’ll take the puking and crying if given the choice.

100%. Never knew my granddads they died before I was born or right after I was born. I’m sure they had stories. 

1 hour ago, G650 said:

So if anyone wants to know what it's like to be down below on a race boat offshore, here's a little video. The bangs are everytime we go off a wave, and the low howl is the wind in the rigging. You can also see an inflatable throwable hanging on the port side that inflated because of all the water

That’s awesome.  The lighter the boat, the harder the “slap”.  We sailed a 52,000 lb 51’ tank to the South Pacific when I was a high schooler, and it never sounded like that, even in 30’ seas.  More like a thud and a shudder.

Amel 54 for the win.   Two masts,  not two hulls. 

I said this the the cruising thread but buy a 10yo hull for ~$500k, spend $50-80k on retrofit/updating, then sail it around the world for 5 years, spending $60-80k a year, sell it for $350k+ when done.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, davidg said:

I said this the the cruising thread but buy a 10yo hull for ~$500k, spend $50-80k on retrofit/updating, then sail it around the world for 5 years, spending $60-80k a year, sell it for $350k+ when done.

That would be a great bluewater cruiser choice for sure, but talking to @troph I don't think it fits his usage profile.

You are spot on in your overall point though.

Edited by G650

2 minutes ago, troph said:

The big (50 ft) cats are pretty darn impressive.  Why the hate? Seems like sailors and power boaters strongly prefer one hull and the cat owners just laugh. 

I don't know that anyone hates on cats. They can be a great way to cruise draft restricted areas. Mostly from a practical standpoint there are drawbacks. You get less volume for a given size.

9 hours ago, davidg said:

They have Amel sloops too.  A great boat.  Dream boat if you ask me.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, troph said:

That teak deck begs for sexy times anchored near a secluded beach. Wow.

Yes.  It.  Does.

One of the first things we "need" to add to our new boat.  Swim platform and cockpit.  Currently fiberglass and "needs" to be some teak, sea dek, sea grass...or some combination thereof.  Anyone have any experience with all that?

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

Yes.  It.  Does.

One of the first things we "need" to add to our new boat.  Swim platform and cockpit.  Currently fiberglass and "needs" to be some teak, sea dek, sea grass...or some combination thereof.  Anyone have any experience with all that?

yes I've had sex on a teak deck boat.  highly recommend.  I would be willing to assist but you'd need to send pics first.

Edited by troph