The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

19 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Thanks for the info. I looked closer at the bulb and noticed a tiny bit of gas would come out of one of the connections when I squeezed it. I can’t tell if it’s a bunk clamp or if the hose is split, but I’ll replace it. 

I don’t think I’ll be re-powering this old war wagon! I think she was really something back in ‘96 tho. (Not ‘06, I misspoke) She gets me around this little lake way faster than I need to go. 

0B307F6B-566A-4218-ADCF-FCF34CDCEF7C.jpeg

My man.  Get that pollen knocked off and the sparklies sparklin.  That's a much better merc than what they had in 06 imo.  That maroon carpet tho...   Nice charts, great place to spend the $$$. 

I got a pass last year to a large very private company lake that's well...private.  And I'm not going to be in Texas for the spawn and it makes me ragey af.  Also first year I'll miss TOBI/LOBI in the better part of a decade.  I'm not a huge bass guy but my partner is and we were always in top 4-5% weights.  Always flipping beds.   ugh.  Back to work.

I had my local shop quote me a price to redo the top in matte black, touch up the sparklie silver along the bottom, re-do the seats, and replace the maroon carpet with grey.  I think it was like $7,500 total and I couldn't justify that on a boat this old.  Plus I've got small kids and I like not worrying about them walking all over the seats or getting red dirt on the carpet.

I went out yesterday evening and found a few coves where the water was up to 62-63, but the water looked like chocolate milk from the rain last week.  It's going to be tougher fishing for the spawn this year.

@fattyflattie

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I had my local shop quote me a price to redo the top in matte black, touch up the sparklie silver along the bottom, re-do the seats, and replace the maroon carpet with grey.  I think it was like $7,500 total and I couldn't justify that on a boat this old.  Plus I've got small kids and I like not worrying about them walking all over the seats or getting red dirt on the carpet.

I went out yesterday evening and found a few coves where the water was up to 62-63, but the water looked like chocolate milk from the rain last week.  It's going to be tougher fishing for the spawn this year.

@fattyflattie

It's rare in boats to have one appreciate, but it does happen. Especially with the rise in new boat prices. My Hell's Bay skiff was $17,000 new in 1999 with a 30 2 stroke. The same skiff today is $54,000+ upgrades with a Yamaha 4 stroke 30. There is a huge market today for the "vintage" hulls because they are 160lbs lighter than the new ones (no foam flotation). If you can buy them right, you can put 20 grand or so into a restore and have a better than new version of the same boat and still save $15K over buying it new. I almost sold mine in 2017, and had three guys begging me to take their money. After I priced out the next larger model with a 70, I decided to keep mine and repower it. I spent $10K on a Tohatsu short shaft 50 4 stroke and a new trailer and saved myself $60 Grand. I got a quote of $12,000 to do a complete hull restore by a guy in Florida that used to be the production manager of Hell's Bay when my skiff was built. New gelcoat, new non-skid on top, all new wiring and switches, all new fittings, new fuel tank, re-route the wiring and engine controls to fix a slight design flaw on the original hulls, polish or replace any aluminum fittings, hatch latches, seat cushion, etc. In short, the only thing that would be original is the fiberglass itself. I'm still thinking about it, but at this point I'll probably just fish it until next January then decide. I don't want to be without it for a month with prime time about to kick off. 

I still think about a new one all the time, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I got a quote of $12,000 to do a complete hull restore by a guy in Florida that used to be the production manager of Hell's Bay when my skiff was built. New gelcoat, new non-skid on top, all new wiring and switches, all new fittings, new fuel tank, re-route the wiring and engine controls to fix a slight design flaw on the original hulls, polish or replace any aluminum fittings, hatch latches, seat cushion, etc.

That’s not a bad deal there.  Might be a tad high if he was painting it but for new gel, that’s hard to beat.  I’ve come to the realization we will repower when it’s time, UNLESS we go a completely different route (shallow, faster, etc) If Merc can get one of their new 300 V8 to a 350NA then it’ll speed up that timetable to nearly immediately. 

That’s not a bad deal there.  Might be a tad high if he was painting it but for new gel, that’s hard to beat.  I’ve come to the realization we will repower when it’s time, UNLESS we go a completely different route (shallow, faster, etc) If Merc can get one of their new 300 V8 to a 350NA then it’ll speed up that timetable to nearly immediately. 

Why not a Suzuki 350 V8? Just curious.

11 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Why not a Suzuki 350 V8? Just curious.

The far biggest is 512# vs 727#, that’s on the back of a 12” offset JP.    Second would be that while I haven’t had any “major” problems out of my current Zuk, it wasn’t near as reliable as I had hoped.  Had SHO been out then, I would have continued my long tradition of Yamaha power, but it wasn’t.  Third, as much as I distrusted Mercs and remember all the jokes from years ago, they have been dominating everyone in outboards.  They’ve been the absolute leader in props forever, now they’ve got the mechanical down.  That’s my opinion anyhow.  Also, not sure how I feel about 12:1 compression on them.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It's rare in boats to have one appreciate, but it does happen. Especially with the rise in new boat prices. My Hell's Bay skiff was $17,000 new in 1999 with a 30 2 stroke. The same skiff today is $54,000+ upgrades with a Yamaha 4 stroke 30. There is a huge market today for the "vintage" hulls because they are 160lbs lighter than the new ones (no foam flotation). If you can buy them right, you can put 20 grand or so into a restore and have a better than new version of the same boat and still save $15K over buying it new. I almost sold mine in 2017, and had three guys begging me to take their money. After I priced out the next larger model with a 70, I decided to keep mine and repower it. I spent $10K on a Tohatsu short shaft 50 4 stroke and a new trailer and saved myself $60 Grand. I got a quote of $12,000 to do a complete hull restore by a guy in Florida that used to be the production manager of Hell's Bay when my skiff was built. New gelcoat, new non-skid on top, all new wiring and switches, all new fittings, new fuel tank, re-route the wiring and engine controls to fix a slight design flaw on the original hulls, polish or replace any aluminum fittings, hatch latches, seat cushion, etc. In short, the only thing that would be original is the fiberglass itself. I'm still thinking about it, but at this point I'll probably just fish it until next January then decide. I don't want to be without it for a month with prime time about to kick off. 

I still think about a new one all the time, though. 

This is a great point, some of the lightly used bass boats I've seen for sale at the shop make me thankful for the one that I bought from a co-worker for $5,000.  $12,000 for a redo that complete seems like a pretty good deal to me. 

The one thing I'd really like to have done is a complete re-wire on mine.  There are so many little electrical gremlins from 25 years of different people fucking around with things - the front graph loses power every time I start the motor, if I hit a big swell going too fast I get a short alarm and the engine stalls for an instant, one of the live well pumps only works part of the time, etc.  I always figured that a rewire was a huge ordeal that any shop would charge at least $2,500 for. 

But the motor is still really strong and hasn't lost much (if any) compression according to the mechanic.  I put a new lower unit on it last year and it's even happier after that.  As long as I feel good about the motor, I guess it wouldn't be a terrible strategy to put some money in to this one instead of spending $50k+ on something like this:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/d/colleyville-2017-ranger-z521c/7288491301.html

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know a thing about sailing or boats in general but has anyone been following the America's Cup? 

Fascinated by the science that goes into the boats - it's insane what they're capable of. I'd be curious to know from some of you sailing guys what kind of skill goes into working these things? I'd imagine it's a pretty hard/impossible gig to get. Some of it is obviously very specialized but they're so consistent and I bet a lot of that comes from the computing elements involved. Hoping for some more good racing this week. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, The Royal We said:

This is a great point, some of the lightly used bass boats I've seen for sale at the shop make me thankful for the one that I bought from a co-worker for $5,000.  $12,000 for a redo that complete seems like a pretty good deal to me. 

The one thing I'd really like to have done is a complete re-wire on mine.  There are so many little electrical gremlins from 25 years of different people fucking around with things - the front graph loses power every time I start the motor, if I hit a big swell going too fast I get a short alarm and the engine stalls for an instant, one of the live well pumps only works part of the time, etc.  I always figured that a rewire was a huge ordeal that any shop would charge at least $2,500 for. 

But the motor is still really strong and hasn't lost much (if any) compression according to the mechanic.  I put a new lower unit on it last year and it's even happier after that.  As long as I feel good about the motor, I guess it wouldn't be a terrible strategy to put some money in to this one instead of spending $50k+ on something like this:

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/boa/d/colleyville-2017-ranger-z521c/7288491301.html

There are companies that will build bespoke harnesses for cheaper than you would think. I don’t know how mechanically inclined you are, and bass boats can be a pain (especially console fore) but that would be a really good mod.   I was lucky enough on current boat to buy new, and rigging was done very well, but my last one was a nightmare.  Don’t know how many hours I spent tracing down wires in that rats nest.  I since added rock lights to each hatch, and all wires were cut to length, twisted, loomed, the whole 9 yards.  It took forever but came out great. 

I’m a bit boat discouraged this week. I was a frogs hair away from pulling the trigger on a new toy, and it sold while I was arguing with the devil on my shoulder.  With a 6.2L.  And carbon fiber blades. Complete stainless rigging. I know I know, that guy.  But I need something for duck hunting/oystering/crab trap cleanup weekend.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, vicerous said:

I don't know a thing about sailing or boats in general but has anyone been following the America's Cup? 

Fascinated by the science that goes into the boats - it's insane what they're capable of. I'd be curious to know from some of you sailing guys what kind of skill goes into working these things? I'd imagine it's a pretty hard/impossible gig to get. Some of it is obviously very specialized but they're so consistent and I bet a lot of that comes from the computing elements involved. Hoping for some more good racing this week. 

I know a few of the guys that were on America Magic, and from some past cups.

It's definitely a close fraternity of guys that do cup racing, similar to how the Volvo race guys are pretty clique ish, but it's not impossible to be involved. You obviously have to be very good though.

The current boats are super computer controlled, and the race is almost won in the design phase really.

• Hook 'Em 1

It absolutely blows my mind how this boats can do 2-3 times the wind speed.  As [mention=285]G650[/mention] said, it's mostly in the design phase.  The slightest advantage wins it.
I was given this signed Dennis Connor "Stars and Stripes" painting reproduction hanging in my office.
bf99d84587fcba42fc5f8894095e947f.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s amazing. These big bitches are literally flying with one damn water ski in the water. Insanity. Although in the earlier stages when the wind was crazy and the speed died, they were worthless. Boat touched the water and they could hardly even sail. Went from 30-6mph in a heart beat. At that point they seemed like the worst boats ever designed. 

Made it to Pensacola Beach from Austin in 12 hours.  Not sure it was 12 of the 18 driving hours probably more like 9 of them. Probably have 10 more to go to get to south beach.   Ate at some crab trap on the beach it was fun though. Our pup was super patient all day and by the time we got there he could smell it all. We walked to the water and he had a great time.  Cover band playing all the pop country and my girlfriend was confused for a second then said oh the Florida panhandle is super country, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia.  Uh yeah.  Stars out, nice weather, cool place, never been.  Ready for Miami though.  

Starts quickly when we get there boozy happy hour and dinner followed by a boozy Sunday brunch is apparently the plan - thank god club soda and lime looks like a vodka tonic.  

All I can think about is a 65 foot Sunseeker Manhattan Flybridge trip on Wednesday.  Still haven’t booked fishing - might scoot down to islamorada for the day instead.  Might rent a sail boat too. Just not sure yet.  

Love being here though. But someone needs to tell the Zack Brown Band and his myriad of cover bands it’s Pah-con pie not Pee-can pie.  Ha.

• Like 1

Fuck around and find out. On the beach now with 3 other hot lesbians (one is mine full disclosure) ...  stopped to see some friends. Quite nice.  Can’t wait for Wednesday, recon for me and @Brew and our yacht escapades.  @G650 @Viking @Sbbruin @HOOKEM4Still torn on MY or cruising sailing cats ... got time though. View from their condo before heading to the beach on the other side. And view from the beach back to their condo.

C4FCF265-3D26-4D87-8A3A-A8120A664EA9.jpeg

8751810F-38A7-41A7-A570-AE38924CF92A.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Headed to Charleston for a week or so next month to look at houses and further my boat research.  Window shopping on the boats at this time, but it will be nice to be able to see a whole bunch in one place, and window shopping is better done in person than on the internet.

39 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Very nice work.  I did my own bay boat this winter. 

Question: does that stuff take off water spots?  I wound up waxing the water spots onto my black hull in places.  FML.  Need something for next time.    

Yes.  I usually use a 50/50 vinegar/water mix, but that shit is much faster.   Pricey, but it doesn’t take a lot.