The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Little name that boat ... Azimut 68S and behind it my hatty convertible fly bridge (MY 75 I think).  Both made of unobtanium right now.  But you know, dreams and stuff.  Both were chartered when we walked by this afternoon. 

0B9F8B6D-815E-4655-AF84-EC6D2915921D.jpeg

Edited by troph

Little name that boat ... Azimut 68S and behind it my hatty convertible fly bridge (MY 75 I think).  Both made of unobtanium right now.  But you know, dreams and stuff.  Both were chartered when we walked by this afternoon. 

0B9F8B6D-815E-4655-AF84-EC6D2915921D.thumb.jpeg.f55d27f9d7d7c23554acf5029d4e9c19.jpeg

Speaking of Troph, have you seen / is that Azimut still out on Lake Travis ? Was a 60 something. I don’t think I’ve seen it the past couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Horns99 said:

Speaking of Troph, have you seen / is that Azimut still out on Lake Travis ? Was a 60 something. I don’t think I’ve seen it the past couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I’ve seen it, there’s a 60 footer that cruises often but I don’t think it’s an Azimut - doesn’t have that below deck glass signature.  I’ll have to do a double take next time it’s out. 

Edited by troph

Never been down that way, it’s kinda port aransas-y which is good/fine, food options and things to do other than fishing, sailing and staring at the water is very limited.  I think there are dive spots too? Of course we didn’t go farther and had no desire to make it to key west this time either.  I can see the appeal of bouncing down the keys in a boat doing those lazy things though.

Oh my god the smells. Love the smell of saltwater and a little bit of seaweed mixed together. 

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, troph said:

Never been down that way, it’s kinda port aransas-y which is good/fine, food options and things to do other than fishing, sailing and staring at the water is very limited.  I think there are dive spots too? Of course we didn’t go farther and had no desire to make it to key west this time either.  I can see the appeal of bouncing down the keys in a boat doing those lazy things though.

Oh my god the smells. Love the smell of saltwater and a little bit of seaweed mixed together. 

Yeah there's plenty of wrecks to dive. Pretty good one down in Duck Key that I can't remember the name of right now

There's actually a shit load of fantastic restaurants down there though, provided you like seafood.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, troph said:

Driving down and back all I could think about was sail boats, power boats and how many dead bodies are in the mangroves. #bloodlines 

Fuck the dead bodies, gotta figure out the long/lat of where Kevin sunk those full birds.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

How about a $2.4mm center console?   Woof!

I don’t see why not. I’d rather have a SF or express, but there are people who want to get out and get back quickly, and this would be easier to sandbar.  I mean there’s a USED 42 Freeman for sale for 1.4 right now, that while a grade above in pure fishing, is nowhere nearly as luxurious.  And a 36’ fin/inv/SH are all 450-ish for straight fishing boats with triples.  The logo is cool. The cruise mileage is atrocious.  But build quality looked pretty damn good, at least the rigging and components.   Some people don’t want to deal with diesels, etc.   I can see this for the guy in Fla who sort of likes to fish, likes to sandbar and coke off strippers asses on that forward lounge, and doesn’t want to deal with a full time captain.  Why not. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t see why not. I’d rather have a SF or express, but there are people who want to get out and get back quickly, and this would be easier to sandbar.  I mean there’s a USED 42 Freeman for sale for 1.4 right now, that while a grade above in pure fishing, is nowhere nearly as luxurious.  And a 36’ fin/inv/SH are all 450-ish for straight fishing boats with triples.  The logo is cool. The cruise mileage is atrocious.  But build quality looked pretty damn good, at least the rigging and components.   Some people don’t want to deal with diesels, etc.   I can see this for the guy in Fla who sort of likes to fish, likes to sandbar and coke off strippers asses on that forward lounge, and doesn’t want to deal with a full time captain.  Why not. 

It would suck to have to fight a fish around the ass end of that boat. 5 huge engines on a bracket and a bench seat across the transom. It looks like it's got a fish door in the port side rear, which you would need to get a fish aboard that thing, but this thing definitely has that cruiser that looks like a fishing boat feel.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm doing that at the end of April. Renting a boat and just exploring. Rented a canal house in Marathon.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, for starters it's not a center console, plus you are definitely never going to sandbar it, and 99.999999999% of people will absolutely need a full time captain and could never safely handle that boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

It would suck to have to fight a fish around the ass end of that boat. 5 huge engines on a bracket and a bench seat across the transom. It looks like it's got a fish door in the port side rear, which you would need to get a fish aboard that thing, but this thing definitely has that cruiser that looks like a fishing boat feel.  

But that’s the same in 42YF/Inv whatever or any other big CC. It’s hard af to fish off of. Midnight express/Nor tech all running quads and quints.  But that’s no different than any other.  

41 minutes ago, G650 said:

Well, for starters it's not a center console, plus you are definitely never going to sandbar it, and 99.999999999% of people will absolutely need a full time captain and could never safely handle that boat.

Well, walk around, whatever they want to market it as.   And 99.9999999999% of people I see now could benefit from captains, but they don’t get them.   Daily vids of people hitting haulover at 3/4 throttle no matter the conditions out front should have told you.   At least this behemoth can trim up when they inevitably fuck up.

You could spend half of that on a freeman and still fight the motor/fishing issue, and not have AC.  Or spend 3 million and never dream of 60 mph or whatever they said.   It’s niche af, but someone with tons of $$$ will buy one. I watched a video when the Sueno came out and the guy said their entire market was execs that want to be able to day trip deep, but wanted a yacht feel.  This is just a more luxo Sueno. 

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Where do I sign?

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m honestly leaning toward a smaller, older SF at this point.

While I have not owned one, a very close friend has owned one (family anyhow) his entire life.  At some points, several at a time.  I could write a novel on the things I've learned about it between him and his family.  But it's doable.  Easily doable, if you can put up with some of the drawbacks.  Sounds easy enough, but picking the right one, with the right bones, and right drivetrain is about 90% of it.  Good luck. If I ever get bitten by the blue water bug bad enough, I think that's the route I'd take.  Their main workhorse was an '84 35' Bert, which was acquired in the mid-90's.   That sold last year for the "new" one, a very nicely retrofitted 31' (which is baller af).   They also own a 20', 26' and 28' Berts.  I *think the 28' was sold recently.    The 20' was originally purchased by the grandfather in 1969, then sold, then repurchased by my buddy and fully restored (came out VERY nice).  

Anyhow, the only real thing they ever had issues with over the 20 years of owning that 35, was the gensets.   The triple nickels were solid af, albeit very slow and heavy.  But very reliable.  IIRC they put about 4000 hours on them.  Drives were solid.  They kept it on a lift, and kept up with it, however it wasn't an open checkbook type of deal, albeit well maintained.  Dad was very mechanical, and enjoyed tinkering with it, so he was always doing something to it.  I think he finally got tired of piecing together gensets, and actually bought one, and it was smooth sailing from there.  I don't recall your budget, but I do remember it was waaaay more than something like that.  Just showing that its not impossible for "normal" people.  The biggest thing was they owned the lift. Without that, it would have been a much more expensive venture.  Also, that boat wasn't covered.  If it had been in one of their covered lifts (they own a whole row of them) it would have been tremendously easier on the old man.

Disregard everything I said if you want something capable of real tournament fishing.  That sends you into a whole other world.   

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

While I have not owned one, a very close friend has owned one (family anyhow) his entire life.  At some points, several at a time.  I could write a novel on the things I've learned about it between him and his family.  But it's doable.  Easily doable, if you can put up with some of the drawbacks.  Sounds easy enough, but picking the right one, with the right bones, and right drivetrain is about 90% of it.  Good luck. If I ever get bitten by the blue water bug bad enough, I think that's the route I'd take.  Their main workhorse was an '84 35' Bert, which was acquired in the mid-90's.   That sold last year for the "new" one, a very nicely retrofitted 31' (which is baller af).   They also own a 20', 26' and 28' Berts.  I *think the 28' was sold recently.    The 20' was originally purchased by the grandfather in 1969, then sold, then repurchased by my buddy and fully restored (came out VERY nice).  

Anyhow, the only real thing they ever had issues with over the 20 years of owning that 35, was the gensets.   The triple nickels were solid af, albeit very slow and heavy.  But very reliable.  IIRC they put about 4000 hours on them.  Drives were solid.  They kept it on a lift, and kept up with it, however it wasn't an open checkbook type of deal, albeit well maintained.  Dad was very mechanical, and enjoyed tinkering with it, so he was always doing something to it.  I think he finally got tired of piecing together gensets, and actually bought one, and it was smooth sailing from there.  I don't recall your budget, but I do remember it was waaaay more than something like that.  Just showing that its not impossible for "normal" people.  The biggest thing was they owned the lift. Without that, it would have been a much more expensive venture.  Also, that boat wasn't covered.  If it had been in one of their covered lifts (they own a whole row of them) it would have been tremendously easier on the old man.

Disregard everything I said if you want something capable of real tournament fishing.  That sends you into a whole other world.   

Not interested in tournaments (yet😂), and not interested in anything that old.  I do think I can find something produced this millennium that fits within the budget.  If you go away from the CCs, your choice is the express cruisers vs. the SFs.  We’re not overly fancy people, and as long as we have some somewhat nice inside space and the ability to entertain a bit, the better half will be happy, and I get the added fishing capability.

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Not interested in tournaments (yet😂), and not interested in anything that old.  I do think I can find something produced this millennium that fits within the budget.  If you go away from the CCs, your choice is the express cruisers vs. the SFs.  We’re not overly fancy people, and as long as we have some somewhat nice inside space and the ability to entertain a bit, the better half will be happy, and I get the added fishing capability.

Not surprised that’s where you are headed. You’ll be happy. 

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Your biggest issue is going to be there was a bunch of shit for engine choices in early 2000's.  Lots of the high spec'd Detroits, MANs (of MANgrenade fame)  There are some good ones, too. But that seemed to be a time they were starting to try and squeeze more power, speed, etc out of everything.  Lots of research in your future.  Or buy @justhookit rig, ha!  Or you can always add another comma to your budget.

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Not surprised that’s where you are headed. You’ll be happy. 

It’s a process that has to be worked through.  From multiple angles.  We’ll get some hands-on evaluation in the next month or so, and we’ll see what happens.  You deserve a little props, because I believe you recommended a SF in one of the first posts after my buy me a boat post.  An older Cabo IIRC.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Your biggest issue is going to be there was a bunch of shit for engine choices in early 2000's.  Lots of the high spec'd Detroits, MANs (of MANgrenade fame)  There are some good ones, too. But that seemed to be a time they were starting to try and squeeze more power, speed, etc out of everything.  Lots of research in your future.  Or buy @justhookit rig, ha!  Or you can always add another comma to your budget.

Do the engine choices get better if you creep toward 2010?  I did the bulk of my boat research during winterpolooza 2021, and I haven’t looked at a lot since then.

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Do the engine choices get better if you creep toward 2010?  I did the bulk of my boat research during winterpolooza 2021, and I haven’t looked at a lot since then.

Yes.  And they aren't all bad, even from brand to brand it can be dependent on model.  I wasn't trying to pick on MANs earlier, but many of their models were well known for melting pistons.  To the point there used to be a guy who would fly a banner over the Miami boat show and hand out pamphlets and whatnot.  But mostly the 10 and 12 cyl models, the 6's were pretty reliable although supposedly very expensive to maintain.  Couple of the Cummins were really well regarded.   Cats were hit or miss.  Volvo are well liked by some, and hated by others.  MANs and MTU's about the same.  They were high HP, high spec types that got a bad rep (fairly or not).   My understanding is by 2010 you'll be good with any of them by then.  Think mid 90s thru early 00s was the growing pains.  

You'll be fine.  Just a balance between what was available, budget, timing, hours, etc.   Just plan like you would for any other 300k purchase and you'll be fine.  

The only reason I sort of kinda barely know a little bit about mid 90's thru early 00s boats are there was a minute we were thinking about delving into that lifestyle.  I spent ALOT of time studying it ALL.   Someone like hookit knows 100x as much about the true costs of these things.  The 1000/2000/etc services.  What it costs for haulout etc.  For instance, an oil change on a big common rail is much more than you'd expect.  Like a few grand.  

One day, I'd love to make a run at one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes.  And they aren't all bad, even from brand to brand it can be dependent on model.  I wasn't trying to pick on MANs earlier, but many of their models were well known for melting pistons.  To the point there used to be a guy who would fly a banner over the Miami boat show and hand out pamphlets and whatnot.  But mostly the 10 and 12 cyl models, the 6's were pretty reliable although supposedly very expensive to maintain.  Couple of the Cummins were really well regarded.   Cats were hit or miss.  Volvo are well liked by some, and hated by others.  MANs and MTU's about the same.  They were high HP, high spec types that got a bad rep (fairly or not).   My understanding is by 2010 you'll be good with any of them by then.  Think mid 90s thru early 00s was the growing pains.  

You'll be fine.  Just a balance between what was available, budget, timing, hours, etc.   Just plan like you would for any other 300k purchase and you'll be fine.  

The only reason I sort of kinda barely know a little bit about mid 90's thru early 00s boats are there was a minute we were thinking about delving into that lifestyle.  I spent ALOT of time studying it ALL.   Someone like hookit knows 100x as much about the true costs of these things.  The 1000/2000/etc services.  What it costs for haulout etc.  For instance, an oil change on a big common rail is much more than you'd expect.  Like a few grand.  

One day, I'd love to make a run at one. 

300k is not the budget despite @Landomatic trying to make it so.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

It’s niche af, but someone with tons of $$$ will buy one.

Well duh, of course they will. People are morons.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m honestly leaning toward a smaller, older SF at this point.

If that is the case, I can tell you right now you want a repowered 32 Blackfin. May be the single greatest fishing boat ever.

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t believe you are going to find anything SF related in the 2010 range for under $200k. That is Express pricing and even that would be thin for that new a model. You’re going to be better off looking for one of the higher end brands that has been repowered with a redone interior. You also want to make sure you are prepared for the operating costs on one as well as making sure you know your local waters and the availability of a deep water marina.

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

Definitely a good one but I would take the Blackfin. Much better riding hull

Never fished one, but I know they have a loyal following. The 31 Berts are like the F150 of the sportfishing world. They made a lot of them, the hulls last forever, and they're pretty easy to work on. Back in the BK times (Before kids) I toyed with the idea of buying a great lakes boat and bringing it to Texas and refitting it. I figured out the opex would have been the killer for me, and living 180 miles from salt water just couldn't sell it to the CFO. Then I picked up a fly rod...

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, G650 said:

Well duh, of course they will. People are morons.

If that is the case, I can tell you right now you want a repowered 32 Blackfin. May be the single greatest fishing boat ever.

Heads to boat trader for the first time in a few weeks...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, G650 said:

If that is the case, I can tell you right now you want a repowered 32 Blackfin.

Very nice.  The age might be issue with OP. It’ll definitely be in the price range. 

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The Bertram 31 would like a word. 

Day trip GOAT.  Buddy loves their “new” one. You’d shit to see what restored ones sell for. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I don’t believe you are going to find anything SF related in the 2010 range for under $200k. That is Express pricing and even that would be thin for that new a model. You’re going to be better off looking for one of the higher end brands that has been repowered with a redone interior.

I think even that is going to be tight, unless you are looking to put the last 1000 hours on it.  You can pick up a Post or Ocean in that range but it leaves you with a bunch to the TB/TBI Detroit’s. 

28 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Heads to boat trader for the first time in a few weeks...

Yachtworld.com

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Very nice.  The age might be issue with OP. It’ll definitely be in the price range. 

Day trip GOAT.  Buddy loves their “new” one. You’d shit to see what restored ones sell for. 

I think even that is going to be tight, unless you are looking to put the last 1000 hours on it.  You can pick up a Post or Ocean in that range but it leaves you with a bunch to the TB/TBI Detroit’s. 

Yachtworld.com

Man, it the early 2000s you could pick up a Great Lakes (fresh water) boat with low hours for 20 grand or less, depending on the interior. Rebuild the engines and transmissions, paint it, put on a set of taco outriggers and new electronics and you were fishing. You could spend a lot more on a full refit, but you didn't have to. The only drag about those boats was most of them were gas (454 crusaders) and I'd really want diesels for a serious offshore boat. 

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Man, it the early 2000s you could pick up a Great Lakes (fresh water) boat with low hours for 20 grand or less, depending on the interior. Rebuild the engines and transmissions, paint it, put on a set of taco outriggers and new electronics and you were fishing. You could spend a lot more on a full refit, but you didn't have to. The only drag about those boats was most of them were gas (454 crusaders) and I'd really want diesels for a serious offshore boat. 

There was a late 60’s model for sell recently for just under 200k.   It’s FULLY updated, but probably 4x what it cost new.  I was struggling the F150 comparison for that reason. 31’s have a following like old Land Cruisers or something, and folks routinely pay way more than you’d think.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'd look for one repowered with Cummins from the mid aughts.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Pescado_Rojo said:

Even with diesels does the 31 have the legs for overnight at the floaters?  

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

There was a late 60’s model for sell recently for just under 200k.   It’s FULLY updated, but probably 4x what it cost new.  I was struggling the F150 comparison for that reason. 31’s have a following like old Land Cruisers or something, and folks routinely pay way more than you’d think.  

yea, Land Cruiser might have been a better comparison as something that was originally built to be utilitarian but has developed a huge cult following. I went with F150 because they were pretty much a production boat, and they made a lot of them, relatively speaking. 

15 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

How fast you wanna get there? :)

But no, not internally it doesn't. You'd need bladders. 

It *could* do it but no not really.  It’s not the best GOM day boat.  But anywhere with close deep water, look out.   Trying to remember the specs on the one I have experience with and can’t, but I know it’s ALOT faster than their 35’ was. The 35 was a 17-18kt boat at fast cruise, and I think this one is low 20’s.  That 35 only made a handful of floater trips, just too damn slow.  

Sunseeker was a fun boat.  2002 60 foot manhattan flybridge.  Clearly a charter boat, it had some wear, but I’d still consider it for 2-4 people.  Good news is this year and condition it’s probably $400-500k. Don’t know the exact engines but straight shaft and the crew said cat engines.

didn’t get many pics but here you go - three berths and kitchen down below. Kitchen opens to the upstairs. 

131AF023-FB3C-4061-BC8C-5332226B5E23.jpeg

A8078121-538F-4A69-9FCB-5CD4547016B3.jpeg

5DCD080D-8DE5-4876-86D0-70B7D9FD1721.jpeg

BFC532F3-FBE1-44ED-AFB8-DE58BD68F914.jpeg

82CE39D3-EB65-4C50-894B-5CE70E8B1B57.jpeg

BE8E3524-321C-4AFA-971A-D0F93F9949F3.jpeg

rounded out with published pics...

1440CC36-356B-410B-8111-4F3575CB0EE5.jpeg

7456AE56-7C09-4063-BBAE-552420FB6392.jpeg

6D0E77BF-E07A-4188-BA57-0E9D689953A4.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2