The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

It's a shit load more peaceful than a powerboat, that's for sure. Power boats have their place for sure, I have a CC, but it's definitely now as relaxing.

Yeah not getting rid of my surf boat at all. Water is too cold and wind is too much right now for it anyway. We will sail now surf late summer.

33 minutes ago, Viking said:

I promise you there's few things more relaxing on the water than sailing along at 5-7kts in a 10-15kt wind. Just heaven. I almost never give up the helm seat on our boat because I can sit there for hours and hours just enjoying the ride.

My favorite sound is killing the engine and listening to the boat cutting through the water powered by mother nature.  

Oh, and 15-17kts in 10-15kts of wind if you're @G650

Edited by Sbbruin

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I promise you there's few things more relaxing on the water than sailing along at 5-7kts in a 10-15kt wind. Just heaven. I almost never give up the helm seat on our boat because I can sit there for hours and hours just enjoying the ride.

Oh I agree.  It's all the other stuff that goes on before and after that I'm talking about.

51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My favorite sound is killing the engine and listening to the boat cutting through the water powered by mother nature.  

Oh, and 15-17kts in 10-15kts of wind if you're @G650

Will vouch.  

When I'm out on the lake idling in the middle doing wake boat shit and a sail comes anywhere near me I cut the engine just to hear the water slapping her hull as she knifes by through the water.

Something hypnotic and elegant about it, even from a bit of distance.

Of course, shortly after I fire back up, turn the stereo volume to eleven, and crank up the Whitesnake because I promised to follow the Wake Boat code when making the purchase.

iu.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Hopefully you do all of that while running full ballast right by docks.

We call that maximum "plow" around here. Not planed off, but damn near close. It's a good way to get an anchor thrown at your head. Don't get me started on those fucks on July 4th when everyone is anchored about 5 feet apart to watch the fireworks, and the fucker is weaving his way through everyone at about 8 mph. Boating etiquette is my bag.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

We call that maximum "plow" around here. Not planed off, but damn near close. It's a good way to get an anchor thrown at your head. Don't get me started on those fucks on July 4th when everyone is anchored about 5 feet apart to watch the fireworks, and the fucker is weaving his way through everyone at about 8 mph. Boating etiquette is my bag.

CHIEF

I still have psychotic rage dating back to all the times I launched at Walsh Landing while fucksticks with maxed out fat sacs and throttles dialed into 11mph would cruise around just outside the bouys as I tried to tie up to the docks there so I could run back to the truck to get outta the way for the next guy launching.

Out of all the room to roam they're just bound and determined to turn that spot into a Maytag wash machine.

Cunts.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I still have psychotic rage dating back to all the times I launched at Walsh Landing while fucksticks with maxed out fat sacs and throttles dialed into 11mph would cruise around just outside the bouys as I tried to tie up to the docks there so I could run back to the truck to get outta the way for the next guy launching.

Out of all the room to roam they're just bound and determined to turn that spot into a Maytag wash machine.

Cunts.

When your primary goal is to look cool you need an audience.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Cunts.

It's the closest I've been to throwing fists in the last 15 years. It's totally rude and uncalled for. There is a whole fucking lake with minimal ( and distant) or no boat slips. Go there and throw humongous wakes to your hearts content. I hate to be a dick about it, but I've threatened to make claims on their boat insurance or sue them for damages. You throw a 4 foot wake 100 feet from the docks, you need an ass whoopin' or a bullet.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

One 18 yr old dipshit with all sorts of hot ass on his SANTE once did it to me right around 5pmish. 

I cruised the lake for a bit, went to Hula Hut, had some Tai Beef Fajita Nachos (highly recommend) and low and behold who was at the ramp just getting within about 50 yards from the trailer?

Yep, dooshmeister of the day.

I really enjoyed sending wave after wave toward his efforts as "My daddy bought me this mf'er two days ago" tried get that thing saddled up.  That little piece of Lake Austin just needed a few NASCAR circles at that very time.   

So satisfying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I thought about posting something about this but thought it would be whining and I was the only one with this issue. I'm not glad I'm the only one, but am glad to know I'm not the only one who rages when this happens to them. At the ramp in our neighborhood people will go full wake about 20 feet from the ramp when there's miles of empty lake in either direction, drives me nuts. Really sucks when it's just me and the kids and they are asking all kinds of stupid questions/talk about irrelevant things while I'm trying to tell them to do stuff or get out of the way. Broke the wood/carpet thing off the back of the trailer last weekend when a wave threw me sideways into it.

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

you guys should try loading a shallow draft skiff at an intracoastal boat ramp during duck season with a ripping tide. Barge traffic, tidal movement, dickheads trying to power load airboats...all kinds of fun. 

Or a big tunnel and needing to reverse. Lol nope. 

19 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Or a big tunnel and needing to reverse. Lol nope. 

I always shallow staged where it took a wide-open throttle run to get the nose to the front bumper. It can get brutal at the Fishing Center in Port O with a 3-5 knot tide ripping through there.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

I live on a lake and the assholes who hug the shoreline to surf make me ragey af.  Why don't those fuckheads realize they don't need glass to plow a 10k+ lb boat through the water to make a wave?  It's especially aggravating when the water is higher than normal and the waves come up on the deck or toss around kids who are playing in the water in front of the dock.  More than once I've given the "dad yell" at them for being too close and tossing kids around.

Learning to sail by the telltales, how to balance the boat, and steer with the sails today.  All in a 35 foot Benny.  Different instructor.  Okay, he’s an older guy but quite easy on the eyes. He’s pleasant, calm, inquisitive, thoughtful, observant, he’s a former racer, has 50 - 60 years of sailing experience, decades of ocean experience, has his own boat still, and is an all around great teacher. He listens, adapts and waits. So much better. 

I don’t know guys this is amazing. We had an easterly wind so we could sail up wind up the channel near the marina and there was a stretch for about 15 minutes that was easy and relaxing. Our lake is a challenging sail it’s narrow and the wind is often across the channel and swirls, dead spots, areas it picks up fast, etc.  today we had a breeze that was more consistent and the tack we took was just right.  I’m about to head home and I’m completely deflated stress wise. The quiet intensity is unparalleled. 

I had ultimate "ramp guy" experience on Monday. Dude in lifted F250 blaring bro country from some type of exterior speaker system. He was on my radar immediately.

He successfully blocked both lanes of a two lane ramp. Once that was accomplished: he removed the tie down straps, transfered gear to/from the truck bed and installed the boat plug while blocking both lanes. This is after pulling through the well-marked staging area.

Then he couldn't back the rig down. Eventually he got the Bayliner wet (following an Austin Powers routine in reverse). His girlfriend (not pic worthy) couldn't climb in the driver's seat. The old Mercury "tower of power" wasn't trimmed down because his trailering lock thing was still engaged. So it took forever to get the Bayliner off the trailer.

He apparently needed throttle to maintain idle/ignition so he waked up all three docks. Engine got at least 2min of dry run time. Much of it under partial throttle.

There were at least four other rigs waiting for the ramp. A solid 10min we'll all never get back.

I know this sounds like a BS story but it's 100% accurate. Thought we'd be free from ramp guy fishing on a Monday, but alas, we had an encounter. Dude basically hit through the cycle of boat ramp douchbagery.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

10 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

I had ultimate "ramp guy" experience on Monday. Dude in lifted F250 blaring bro country from some type of exterior speaker system. He was on my radar immediately.

He successfully blocked both lanes of a two lane ramp. Once that was accomplished: he removed the tie down straps, transfered gear to/from the truck bed and installed the boat plug while blocking both lanes. This is after pulling through the well-marked staging area.

Then he couldn't back the rig down. Eventually he got the Bayliner wet (following an Austin Powers routine in reverse). His girlfriend (not pic worthy) couldn't climb in the driver's seat. The old Mercury "tower of power" wasn't trimmed down because his trailering lock thing was still engaged. So it took forever to get the Bayliner off the trailer.

He apparently needed throttle to maintain idle/ignition so he waked up all three docks. Engine got at least 2min of dry run time. Much of it under partial throttle.

There were at least four other rigs waiting for the ramp. A solid 10min we'll all never get back.

I know this sounds like a BS story but it's 100% accurate. Thought we'd be free from ramp guy fishing on a Monday, but alas, we had an encounter. Dude basically hit through the cycle of boat ramp douchbagery.

I think it was my first post on this thread. A buddy and I would go down to the 360 bridge and watched people get the shit kicked out of them by 'roided up dudes that thought they were inconsiderate dooshbags. Sadly it was amusing, and most that got their shit pushed in deserved it, and it was oddly satisfying.

CHIEF

43 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Not at all.  Sadly, it sounds all too familiar and 100% believable.

I'll never understand people that do their prep and rigging in the launch slip when there are typically plenty of places beforehand they could do it, most of them clearly marked as such

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigshark88 said:

That's minor league shit compared to Walsh Landing on the 4th of July.

I'm not kidding either.

Random question time -  Anyone here ever foiled behind a wake boat?

Thoughts, notes, opinions?

My girls are enamored w/the idea of it since some dude floated by us awhile back.  My oldest nerd said, "It's just like Luke Skywalker!"

Edited by Cajun

Not behind a wake boat, we did it behind my old Ebbtide. I never really liked it, so it didn’t last long and got relegated to the back of the basement. It was the old sitting style though. I can‘t imagine it will be any different behind a wake boat. You just have to pull at surf speeds and the wake typically flattens out behind the surf wave. 

I need to check the basement at the lake house sometime and see what all is in there. A lot of memories and some really stupid ideas more than likely.

Edited by Brew
  • Haha 1

It got me thinking on some of the things we tried/did growing up. My dad was/is a dumbass, so he was always at the front of the line to try something.

There should be a parasail setup in there somewhere still. You had to slow down half way down the lake to clear the TVA transmission lines that crossed. The lake police ended up ticketing us for using it and threatening to arrest him if they saw it again.

We built a 3/4 or so sized jump and also a baby one that we would pull into a creek and hide it when not using it. We had skis and knee boards we would use on it that are probably still down there. A tube or two went over the baby one along with the stand up jet skis.

I think most of the slalom course is still down there somewhere. It has been run on skis and wakeboards. That doesn’t even begin to get into the stupid stuff done on kneeboards, jet skis, etc.

• Haha 2

Went up to ATX to visit my cousin at BoatTown and procure a new wake surf board.  He walked me through the yard to show me some of the stuff they were doing to my Nautique to get it ready for sale.  As we were walking through I saw an absolutely gorgeous 2020 X26 without a blemish on it.  

I commented on it saying something like, "Man, that's Holy Grail shit right there!"  He replied, "Well, you can pull it out of here for about 10 grand".

Apparently, the owner left the plug out of it and sunk it for over a week.  "Fried everything" he said.  "Totaled".

He also told me they were getting around 6 or 7 boats a week being brought in with cracked blocks from the freeze.   Showed me 3 of them.  Each one very new and loaded.

Bricks now.

Oh, and the Chris-Craft they've got in their showroom.  Holy JEEBUS!

I felt like cuz & I were Rob Reiner and Nigel Tufnel touring the music room.

Cousin - "Don't touch it!"

Me - "I wasn't, I was just looking at it"

Cousin - "Don't even look at it!  Let's move on to something else..."

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

Went up to ATX to visit my cousin at BoatTown and procure a new wake surf board.  He walked me through the yard to show me some of the stuff they were doing to my Nautique to get it ready for sale.  As we were walking through I saw an absolutely gorgeous 2020 X26 without a blemish on it.  

I commented on it saying something like, "Man, that's Holy Grail shit right there!"  He replied, "Well, you can pull it out of here for about 10 grand".

Apparently, the owner left the plug out of it and sunk it for over a week.  "Fried everything" he said.  "Totaled".

He also told me they were getting around 6 or 7 boats a week being brought in with cracked blocks from the freeze.   Showed me 3 of them.  Each one very new and loaded.

Bricks now.

Cajun, is the block cracked on this boat?

CHIEF

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

Bricks now.

Yeah, same thing happened after the last big freeze in Austin a few years back.  Of course, that one was somewhat unexpected, it came on much earlier in the winter season and nobody thought it would stay below freezing for more than 24 hours.

This one, we knew it was possible and even likely to remain freezing for an extended period of time, several days before hand.  And it was also in February, so even the procrastinators should have had their boats winterized by then.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

Don’t know but I’ll find out

CHIEF Jr. got all exited, he missed the "X" in the X26. He was all G26 Paragon, hell yeah when he got home. I had to tell him to go back and read what I sent. Kids.

Yeah, an X26 is totaled.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Well, then, I'll not hit send on that text.

Yeah, didn't see in Paragons at BoatTown and if it had been one it'd be in my storage there right now because that for REALZ holy grail shit.

Yeah, he said that's a $300-400k boat. The tower with actuators is $100k, by itself. Labor would probably be 50% of the bill, so that's why it was totaled. But I don't have $200k laying around for parts, which he seems to be forgetting.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1