Galveston

RollLeft

TOS has it all, I'm not going to list everything again, you can ask for specifics and I can answer. There is a place that got a remodel and is spitting out some pretty good Q and tamales. It's called Penny's (take out $$) on 37th, between ave O and P. Other than that pretty much same same, some good trailers around, I can ask about those.

you just missed the blue water day.  have to wait  until next year.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

What's TOS? BTW those historic home tours are great. And if you have small kids the library is a good way to kill time too.

the old site

Coming from Austin or SA, I would skip Houston and drive into town from the Bluewater hwy. Time it to have lunch or dinner at the Red Snapper inn. I only say that because family and friends bitch about driving in from Houston. Extra time, but more laid back than driving through or around Houston to get to the island.

Prefer the black pearl to Bennos. Shrimp and stuff is not bad at all, especially for the price. Original Mexican cafe does a good breakfast. 
The Original is good, for breakfast I'd hit one of 3, Melchor Ocompo, Mi Abuelitas, or Los Compos.

Bronco will be mentioned, but you can get a better breakfast burrito at Melchor Ocompo or Henry's. No matter where you go, if you like the hottest of salsas, you have to ask.for it, otherwise, they'll give what they give with the chips.
  • Like 1

I love Galveston.  I go about every 2 weeks in the summer.  I drive down to the public beaches, around Beach Accesses #10-14 or so.  Bring a cooler and sit and write on the beach while sipping some cool ones.  There's not much better, and I'm usually back in Austin that night.  My daughter lives on the coast so sometimes I stop by and see her (and use her shower).

Galveston takes a lot of shit; no it's not the garden spot of beaches in the world, but it's pretty nice, especially past the seawall.  On a good day you get some nice waves to body surf and there's a lot to do with kids (when we had 'em).

There's actually a passable BBQ down by 69th St. called Texas Pit Stop.  It's not bad, really.  And Benno's rocks, I don't give a fuck who thinks it's trendy to knock it. Nowhere I've been on the island has better all-around seafood, period.  There's a shitload of little cafes around the Strand area, you won't go wrong in any place bordered by Broadway (to the south), 14th (to the east), 45th (to the West) and Harborside (to the north).  Some of this is the Strand area, but some of it is the nice neighborhood east of it, just west and south of the UTMB area.  I like Farley Girls Cafe (killer weekend brunch) and the Original Mexican Cafe (no frills good Tex-Mex) among places.

I'll be going down there probably later this week or early next.  See ya there!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 3

Spent the afternoon at Galveston State Park with the kids and some other families from school as a last day of school thing.

I forgot how decent the beach could be in Galveston...

I normally park on one of the public access beaches (the one behind Woody's is my usual.)

There was no seaweed... The water at the shore was silty, but when i looked out just a bit, it was blue-green. The water is also warm already (which means prepare our anus this summer). Wind was perfect for sitting under a pop-up.

I'll be going back.

Water was gorgeous last weekend. Hopefully it continues through much of the summer.

Homecut donuts are awesome.

Olympia the Grill has very solid food. Both locations but the Pier side is a little nicer.

Trattoria La Vignia is great for Italian

Mario's (westside) had awesome pizza. The one on 61st is hit or miss.

Riondo's is ok but didn't blow me away.

My favorite place to go for breakfast or lunch is the Star Drugstore.  Other good places to go are:

Benno's

Fisherman's Wharf

Black Pearl

Little Daddys Gumbo

Stuttgarten

One place to avoid is Gaidos.  Also, don't ever get a room at the Tremont.  It's so loud there that it's hard to get any sleep.

• Like 1

I used to stay at the Tremont all the time. Had a regular room on the 4th floor at the end of the hall. Would stash a bottle of Weller on top of the armoire and it would be waiting for me the next trip. Nice and quiet. Cool hotel. The limo at the Galvez will pick you up and take you back and forth if you want some pool time. Drank some tequila with Kinky Friedman while we watched a Rangers game at the big ass bar in the Tremont lounge. Then head over to the Pearl for a dozen shucked and some shrimp diablo. I love Galveston.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I love Galveston.  I go about every 2 weeks in the summer.  I drive down to the public beaches, around Beach Accesses #10-14 or so.  Bring a cooler and sit and write on the beach while sipping some cool ones.  There's not much better, and I'm usually back in Austin that night. 

i wish i had the stamina to drive 4 hours back to austin after 4+ hours in the sun on the beach.  i could ask my husband to drive i suppose.

19 hours ago, Focht Up said:

My favorite place to go for breakfast or lunch is the Star Drugstore.  Other good places to go are:

Benno's

Fisherman's Wharf

Black Pearl

Little Daddys Gumbo

Stuttgarten

One place to avoid is Gaidos.  Also, don't ever get a room at the Tremont.  It's so loud there that it's hard to get any sleep.

Avoid Gaido's? Why? 

La King’s Confectionery on The Strand has awesome milk shakes and malts from an old time soda fountain - have some great candy made in-house too.

Been a few years since I’ve been to Gaido’s, but it was always delicious to me.

The Spot on the Seawall has great burgers and onion rings, nice laid back place you can go to straight from the beach.

Always loved Galveston - yeah, the beaches are what they are, but lots to do and really enjoy the history of the place.

also FYI Galveston is the best in the fall - late October till mid December is great. blue water. high in the 70s/80s. no tourists. plenty of AirBnBs to rent.  i know summer, kids, holiday, etc but if you can manage in the fall its worth it

• Like 1

Very true, the fall is my favorite time of year. I went to the beach yesterday expecting crowds, but I haven't seen crowds like that on a regular summer weekend in a long time. I turned around at 11 mile road, that beach was full, went to the pocket just past JB. Wasn't bad, still got what I wanted, just a busy summer, which is fine.

13 hours ago, Bull Horn said:

The Spot on the Seawall has great burgers and onion rings, nice laid back place you can go to straight from the beach.

The Spot only posted one time? 

Place is great for a simple lunch, especially with kids. Don't let the long line fool you it goes by quick. 

Also used to have a snow cone trailer right next to it. Not sure if it's still there haven't been this year. 

47 minutes ago, Air_Matt said:

The Spot only posted one time? 

Place is great for a simple lunch, especially with kids. Don't let the long line fool you it goes by quick. 

Also used to have a snow cone trailer right next to it. Not sure if it's still there haven't been this year. 

Spot is great for bigger groups and always has solid food. 

2 hours ago, staboner said:

also FYI Galveston is the best in the fall - late October till mid December is great. blue water. high in the 70s/80s. no tourists. plenty of AirBnBs to rent.  i know summer, kids, holiday, etc but if you can manage in the fall its worth it

The hear clear blue water over Memorial Day Weekend was fantastic.

20 hours ago, staboner said:

It's the best time to be there. Crowds are gone, weather is nice, prices drop. Little Diablo and I would fish that whole area for an entire week every fall. From Bolivar all the way to the old KOA which is now a county park. Can't beat it.