Galveston

RollLeft

I love Galveston in November and December. I wish I could send my kids to their normal school (in seabrook) but live in Galveston for those months. It’s a bit too cold for me, but the kids still love swimming December/January. 

We’re going to leave next Thursday and stay at a place on the beach for a week. Will be a nice get away

our boys (12, 10, 9, 6) love rainforest cafe.  there's a quick 10 minute ride inside the waiting area you pay i think $5 for they like also.  moody gardens has an imax if you don't want to do the whole moody gardens experience.  on the strand La King's confectionary is always a hit with them.  crabbing off the jetty on galveston island is one of their favorite things to do but you have to get there by 5am.

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I love Galveston in November and December. I wish I could send my kids to their normal school (in seabrook) but live in Galveston for those months. It’s a bit too cold for me, but the kids still love swimming December/January. 

We’re going to leave next Thursday and stay at a place on the beach for a week. Will be a nice get away

Yep, the fog season is Galveston’s best season.

9 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Taking my granddaughters to Galveston next week with a stop at NASA on the way down.

Have not been to Galveston in at least 30 years (I am a Port A guy).

Any suggestions would be great.

We do the following staples:

Book Galvez

Pool

Ocean

Murdochs for the kids to get beachy things

Strand for the kids and Wife (la kings, plenty of shopping for ladies, dad/grandpa can grab a beer and carry it down the street)

The Spot for burgers, fries, onion rings, beers, etc.

Hey Mikeys for ice cream.

Dolphin tour for the kids.

Hit a pocket beach down the road if you are really doing beach time, a few mile drive and a world away.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...

Made our Galveston trip a couple of weeks ago. Had not been there in probably 30 years.

We did the NASA thing on the way down and enjoyed it very much. The tour of Mission Control where they put us in the observation room overlooking the control room and then did a re-creation of the Apollo moon landing was very cool.

Rented a really cool house about 2 blocks from the seawall very close to Gaido's.

Gaido's was absolutley incredible. Service was amazing and the food was off the charts. All three of our adult dinners we ordered had crab meat on top and it was the best crab meat I ever tasted. Mine was with jalapeno bacon wrapped shrimp.

Amazing.

Rented umbrellas and chairs each day so it was no hassle. Always found a free parking space on the seawall right where we were going to be sitting.

Always went early though (around 9AM) 

Beach was in great shape as was the water.

Visited the Pleasue Pier on Saturday night. It was fine but nothing to write home about. Grankids had fun which is all that mattered.

Visited the Strand on our getaway day and it was pretty cool. Those old buildings and houses have a lot of history.

Will definitely go back even though I am more of a Port A guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
33 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Has anyone tried Little Daddys gumbo bar?

Oh yes. I thought the gumbo was amazing. It's become one of my go-tos because I don't get to eat much gumbo here in Austin.

4 hours ago, Sabalo said:

Has anyone tried Little Daddys gumbo bar?

A million times. My favorite fried shrimp on the island and I’ve tried just about all of them. Overall one of our favorite spots. 

• Hook 'Em 2