Austin Transportation & Roadways

Longhorn Al

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, elfenix said:

Slate, noting that texdot uses circular reasoning to tell you that i35 needs massively widened to support all the traffic that a massively widened i35 could support:

https://slate.com/business/2021/10/austin-texas-interstate-35-expansion-20-lanes.html

TexDot is dumb.  I35 needs to be expanded.  Both of these can be true.

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If we had competent planners, this would hold true in Austin, but they couldn't plan walkable space and public transportation if their life depended on, and somebody gave them a copy of Cities Skyline.

FQF3udAXoAssKmd?format=jpg&name=medium

Having just taken the clan to Disney World in December, I’m not sure how magical or walkable it was…not when there’s roving fleets of 350lb land whales riding scooters, towing 12yo kids in strollers, screened by a flotilla of angry red faced 250lb teenagers staring at their phones…all standing 6’ inside the only working MagicBand scanner at rope drop.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/13/2022 at 7:43 AM, Homercles said:

Having just taken the clan to Disney World in December, I’m not sure how magical or walkable it was…not when there’s roving fleets of 350lb land whales riding scooters, towing 12yo kids in strollers, screened by a flotilla of angry red faced 250lb teenagers staring at their phones…all standing 6’ inside the only working MagicBand scanner at rope drop.  

Maybe take the family out camping or something instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Deej said:

Maybe take the family out camping or something instead. 

Eh it’d been planned for years, gift from Santa…so wasn’t talking my way out of that one.  It wasn’t too bad as we’d get there at open, grind until about 4p, then bail.  

It was just insanely crowded, beyond even what I’d expected.  DW has to be raking in unbelievable profits as they sure weren’t keeping quality to the standards I recall as a kid, using the pandemic as an excuse to pull back a lot of the ‘magic’ like parades…and everything was outrageously expensive. 

Scooter rentals have to be a million dollar business there.  

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Eh it’d been planned for years, gift from Santa…so wasn’t talking my way out of that one.  It wasn’t too bad as we’d get there at open, grind until about 4p, then bail.  

It was just insanely crowded, beyond even what I’d expected.  DW has to be raking in unbelievable profits as they sure weren’t keeping quality to the standards I recall as a kid, using the pandemic as an excuse to pull back a lot of the ‘magic’ like parades…and everything was outrageously expensive. 

Scooter rentals have to be a million dollar business there.  

they need to raise prices more.  The parks are way too crowded. Scooter rental fees need to go up 1000%.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/18/2022 at 9:07 AM, Your Mom said:

Pretty proud of never having been to a Disney park. Somehow my kids lives have been fulfilling anyway. 

I couldn't agree more. I've been 3 times (all DisneyWorld/Epcot), once as a kid, once on a H.S. trip (way too much fun ifyaknowwhudImean), and once as a chaperone to a youth group.  But never with the family, though, and not since the mid-80's when it was somewhat managable.  And thank god.  In the old old days it was kind of fun, but tickets weren't fifty bejillion dollars and lines so long the Last Judgment seems like a walk-thru by comparison.  And nowadays you need to get into line to get into the line to save time over getting into the line.  

My kids never wanted to go, and were marginally into Disney stuff, but not overly so.  And to me DW is a glorified amusement park - at 10 times the cost.  Worst fucking place to take a family IMHO.  It's one thing to go yourself maybe as an older kid, but holy shit, no way I'd ever want to go with the brood.  Nope.  Never.

I think I'll leave extra in my will for my kids not wanting to drag me there.

Same here, zero desire to ever go to a Disney park.

We take the kids camping all the time, which I consider much more valuable time spent with them.

And we also take them on beach vacations throughout the Caribbean-- which actually turns out a lot cheaper than a week at Disneyworld...

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Simply have to go to parks like Disney or Universal when school isn't out everywhere. Let my kids miss 2 days of school in Sept 2020 to go Universal and it was way worth it. 

Did this a few years ago at Universal when my boys were young.  It was awesome. 

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Same here, zero desire to ever go to a Disney park.

We take the kids camping all the time, which I consider much more valuable time spent with them.

And we also take them on beach vacations throughout the Caribbean-- which actually turns out a lot cheaper than a week at Disneyworld...

This.  Now that both are old enough to enjoy hunting, we do that a lot as well while the wife stays back at the cabin with a roaring fire, a book, and both dogs.  

• Hook 'Em 1