Tamales in Houston

DoobieWah

My favorites are from Alamo on Berry, hand-rolled of course. They reheat pretty well, but I always grab a table and some of their killer salsa and have a couple on the spot.

A close second are Gerardo's. The neon orange habanero salsa is delicious, and their barbacoa is famous.

Dona Tera has their fans, but I find them way too masa heavy.

I think Texas Tamale Company is too pretentious. Tamales are peasant food and up-scaling them ruins them.

Goode Company Seafood makes Seafood Tamales that are pretty good. (Yeah, I get the irony given the preceding comment.)

Lastly, I really enjoyed the Mississippi Delta style tamales at Good Ole Boys in Katy. Wrapped in foil sheets instead of corn husks and seasoned with typical Cajun spices, they're unique in these parts. (I'm not seeing them on the menu but ask for Jay and tell him Doobie sent you.)  😉

Edited by DoobieWah

1 hour ago, DoobieWah said:

Probably La Rancherita. My favorite tortillas rustica. A few blocks west of Alamo.  😉

another block west is a guy that can do passable body work on a rental car that a female has driven through a support pole in a parking garage while her car is in the shop.  

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...