2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

• 1 month later...

Aren't we all just waiting for Pitino's book to come out?  I imagine that is going to drop some bombs on Louisville, AAU, and perhaps a few other programs.

Edited to add:  ...meaning things we do not already know.  Obviously enough bombs have been dropped by the Feds the past 18 months.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

• 2 weeks later...

I see.  Texas also tips off on 11/6, which is a week earlier than usual.  Eastern Illinois.  Should be just as much of a scorcher as Duke/Kentucky.  In that, both games will be decided by less than 5 points.  

Zion is going to get his a lot this year then he is going to run into a big versatile 4 and a rim protector and come away with 8 points or something. It would have been awesome to see him go at the rim against bamba or to see him go at konate. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

RIP RPI.

Welcome our new basketball overlord, NET (NCAA Evaluation Tool).

-Result
-SOS
-Game location
-Scoring margin
-Net offensive and defensive efficiency
-Quality of W/L

Just like BPI they'll try and kill the RPI but the basketball overlords and media won't let it die.  Everyone knows the RPI so going away from it is painful for too many people.  They've tried to kill it for years without success.

22 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I think everyone is going to find Zion will be the third (maybe fourth) best player on the Duke team by the time we are in conference season,

I think he'll be the 2nd or 3rd best on his team.  He's huge and athletic but he isn't some world beater as a shooter.  There are going to be a lot of landmines sitting on the court waiting for a charge with him.  If he decides to play stiff defense though he will be a great college player with plenty of highlights.

Seems to me his problem will probably be fundamentals.  He has the size and athleticism to never have worried about fundamentals before.  When he plays like sized people he might have some tough games.  That being said, I wish he was making back door cuts for KU.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zion has a better handle than I thought after watching him.  I think his immediate NBA skill that will translate well is rebounding -- he looks very quick off the ground and his vertical is obviously elite to say the least.  His athleticism and unusual height/weight combo doesn't really garner many good NBA comparisons, but maybe guys like Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley are somewhat in the neighborhood.  I think he's the best pure athlete I can recall since LeBron although I am sure I am forgetting somebody.  Lot of good NBA talent on Duke this year...as usual I suppose.