2018-19 NCAA Basketball Season

Goo Punch

Just looked up his stats. Looks like he's 0for from 3 on the season (0-11). But he did have his best game of his 3 game career so far so he's got that going for him (12pts, 4ast, 3rebs). 

I just got back from the game. McClung has a very quick first step, but you can leave him wide open outside. His outside shot is terrible. Overall, it was a fun game with some young talent showing up.

10 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It's like a Brady Bunch perm

Quin Snyder has really bad hair at Missouri. Reminded me of a weird version of Danny galeki from his Roseanne days. It was always curly and falling in his face. Very feminine. Nipples protruding. Very disrespectful. 

18 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Zion is going to be the 1/2 pick.  He's going to do very well in college and anyone who downplays his skill at the college level will look like a fool.  His size more than makes up for any deficiencies he has in his game.  The duke team is very well put together and could only be better if everyone had 2-3 years of experience under their belt.  A junior/senior Zion would be a beast.

Junior/Senior Zion will be in his second or third year in the NBA.

The NCAA is Making a Virginia Tech Basketball Player Retake His ACT Because They Don't Think He's Smart Enough To Get His Score

fe61db7d4adf61f1.png

A new ACT score could be the ticket to getting Virginia Tech freshman forward Landers Nolley cleared by the NCAA.

Tech men’s basketball coach Buzz Williams has said that Nolley did not play in an exhibition win over Liberty nor in the season-opening victory over Gardner-Webb because he has yet to be cleared by the NCAA.

Nolley’s high school coach, Rory Welsh of Langston Hughes High School in Fairburn, Georgia, said Tuesday that the issue involves Nolley’s ACT score.

Welsh said Nolley had the ACT score and high school grade-point average he needed to meet the NCAA’s requirements for freshman eligibility.

“He did extremely well [on the ACT],” Welsh said in a phone interview. “He’s a very intelligent kid. He really has the natural ability to be an honor student. The type of focus [he had] his last year of high school, if he would’ve had that type of focus his freshman year and his sophomore year, he probably would end up being an Ivy League-type guy, because he has that type of intelligence level.

“So they’re making him basically retake the test, simply because he did very well on it, which I thought was utterly stupid.

Edited by Vic Mackey

This is where the lines of student-athlete are blurred. If you want to pay them then why make them be a student at all? Why does the ACT matter?

i think the only solution to the pay for play stuff is to allow athletes to market themselves and be done with it. 

Zion looks like an evolved modern-day Charles Barkley to me.  In college, Barkley played at a fat 300 lbs.  He eventually trimmed it down to ~250 lbs and had a 37" vertical. Zion is a better leaper, but I'm not sure he is a better overall athlete. Barkley was relentless and had great motor, strength, explosiveness, footwork and vision.  

Zion probably has better skills at a comparable point in his career, but I'm not sure he is wired to dominate like Chuck.  Time will tell.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He's been kicked off his team and barred from campus. Those are good.

But that's a crime. He should be arrested and prosecuted.

Indefinitely suspended, which still leaves a little wiggle room, ala Coach Urban Meyer. I'm not sure why they would not just say he is gone, for good.

The offender was a Criminal Justice major, and I think he was just named the conference player of the week.

In that Twitter link there is a longer video that shows Platt having just air-balled a 3-pt shot and then coming down doing this.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

ULM is not getting blown out by Sparty so that makes me feel a little better about our win over ULM.

If they get Daishon Smith back that ULM team is going to be pretty good. He's their best guard and he hasn't played against Texas or Michigan State. 

This was a close game until about the 15 minute mark in the 2nd half. ULM doesn't have the depth right now because of injuries. Michigan State and Texas both started to pull away in the 2nd half when ULM ran out of juice.