South Austin Projects

Longhorn Al

• 4 weeks later...

Officials with Saint Elmo Public Market—a future mixed-use development that will include a 40,000-square-foot public market, office spaces, 385 apartment units and a boutique hotel—announced Friday that construction was underway, releasing a list of its first official tenants.

Located in South Austin at 4329 South Congress Ave., the public market’s list of tenants includes Mignette, a bakery and modern diner; a butcher shop and restaurant by the owners of Salt & Time; and a retail location for Texas Hill Country Olive Oil Company.

Saint Elmo Public Market is scheduled to open the spring of 2019, and more tenants expected to be announced this summer, spokesperson Jennifer Sinski said.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/southwest-austin/business/2018/04/13/first-tenants-announced-for-saint-elmo-public-market-mignette-texas-hill-country-olive-oil-company-salt-and-time/

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, bolverk said:

What's going on at the funeral home on South First a couple blocks north of Mary? Looks like that place is getting prepped to be demolished. The property has a big fence all around it now.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=11840439&t_selected_propertyrsn=219230

https://abc.austintexas.gov/attachment/attachmentDownload.jsp?p=cNjkKPpMg%2BzSuyz6ZnUhiu%2ByrCj4S5bVelYpN5t1VEA7sD8boLNR6g%3D%3D

These are saying it'll be an underground parking garage with some floors above ground containing 62 residential and commercial condo units.   

Not looking forward to whatever effect this has on peak traffic at Congress and Ben White through probably Stassney.  However, after the 19 year old pot dealer who was murdered for fun in the apartments off Wm Cannon the other night, I'm looking forward to a smidge of gentrification.  Plus restaurants.

• 3 months later...

1155 Barton Springs

241sdo2.jpg

Magdalena - South Congress

https://www.lakeflato.com/boards/magdalena-hotel-austin

24myffc.jpg

2ui9g02.jpg

Guesthouse Hotel - 2510 S Congress

2mmsmzp.jpg

20rtgxs.jpg

Garza Tract

By Shonda Novak

April 16 2018

A development firm says it is moving ahead with plans for a mixed-use development on a 34-acre tract of raw land in Southwest Austin that for years stirred battles over what could be built there.

Brandywine Realty Trust said Monday that it has signed on development partners for the project on the Garza Ranch site, which is at MoPac Boulevard (Loop 1) and Ben Garza Lane.

SHI International, Trammell Crow Residential and Pathfinder Development will bring high-end office, residential and hotel uses to the project, Brandywine said. The development will consist of two office buildings totaling 400,000 square feet; 370 apartments; a 140-room boutique Aloft hotel; and a 2-acre park called Garza Commons, Brandywine said.

Brandywine did not say when it plans to break ground on the project or its various components. The company, a publicly traded real estate investment trust based in Radnor, Penn., did not provide a figure on the overall cost of the proposed project.

oeo5.jpg

Edited by Longhorn Al

https://www.statesman.com/business/more-south-congress-changes-developer-remaking-complex/zt511hj431uZPbZ6Fp9XfJ/

By Shonda Novak, American-Statesman Staff

More changes are taking place on Austin’s trendy South Congress Avenue, with the latest redevelopment underway at the site that houses the CityView at Soco apartments.

The developer, Turnbridge Equities, is demolishing a four-story building at the front of the complex, which is at 1007 S. Congress Ave.

The old building — which included 36 apartments atop street level retail space — will be replaced by a new four-story building that will have three floors of office space on top of ground-floor retail space. The new building will feature about 50,000 square feet in all, said Andrew Joblon, managing principal with Turnbridge Equities.

• 2 weeks later...

Development planned for S. Lamar Schlotzsky’s site could rise 96 feet

An office building that could be up to 96 feet tall is being planned for a site just south of Lady Bird Lake that now houses a Schlotzsky’s restaurant.

Property owners Michael Carl Pfluger and William Reid Pfluger plan to ask the city for a zoning change to build the project on 1.26 acres at 218 S. Lamar Blvd.

The Austin City Council is scheduled to be briefed on the proposed project Aug. 9.

Amanda Swor with the Austin law firm Drenner Group PC is representing the Pflugers in seeking a type of zoning known as a planned unit development, or PUD.

Swor said the earliest anticipated start of construction is 2020.

Read more on our premium site:

https://www.mystatesman.com/business/office-project-proposed-for-south-lamar-site-zoning-change-sought/KvTDVup1A1kDQCRkE8OncL/

I can't get access to the MyStatesman site linked at the bottom due to having given them too many clicks this month. Would anyone be so kind as to post the full story? tia

That goddamn Caravel is an Austin institution!  That Carpenter HOtel (which is weird, because given the material---it should be the Mason or Bricklayer Hotel) was bound to change the dynamics of everything around there.  That Hotel's developer and Huston Street are gonna completely change the face of that whole area from the River to Barton Springs, and Toomey to Dawson.  So cute people thought it was gonna house a soccer stadium.  

Posted: 4:20 p.m. Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Here you go, Bolverk.

An seven-story office building that could be up to 96 feet tall is being planned for a site just south of Lady Bird Lake that now houses a Schlotzsky’s restaurant.

Property owners Michael Carl Pfluger and William Reid Pfluger plan to ask the city for a zoning change to build the project on 1.26 acres at 218 S. Lamar Blvd.

The Austin City Council is scheduled to be briefed on the proposed project Aug. 9.

Amanda Swor with the Austin law firm Drenner Group PC is representing the Pflugers in seeking a type of zoning known as a planned unit development, or PUD.

The property is appraised at about $6.2 million by the Travis Central Appraisal District.

Heather Chaffin, the city’s zoning case manager for the proposed project, said plans call for a building with about 154,000 square feet of office space and 26,000 square feet of pedestrian-oriented uses on the ground floor..

The developer is offering up to $20,000 to upgrade an adjacent Capital Metro bus stop.

South Lamar Boulevard is identified as an “activity corridor” in the city’s Imagine Austin comprehensive plan, according to the developer, and the new building would mesh with what city planners envisioned for the area.

“Activity corridors call for a variety of activities and types of buildings located along the roadways,” the developer said in a submission to the city. “Specifically, this project will provide an office use along the portion of the South Lamar corridor between Riverside Drive and Barton Springs Road where there are currently no other office uses, thereby providing a vibrant, needed use for the corridor.”

But some area residents say the project is not a good fit for the location.

Dave Piper, president of the Zilker Neighborhood Association, said the site is better suited for a residential use.

“Here’s a perfect opportunity to put in residential housing that the city claims we need,” Piper said. “Do they really mean what they say when they talk about the need for more residential density?”

Chaffin said the site’s existing zoning allows a mix of residential office and commercial uses, though it does not require a mix. A development could be all residential, all commercial/office, or a combination of uses.

Jeff Jack, a resident of the nearby Zilker neighborhood, said: “My personal concern is that the building is too tall at 96 feet” for a location where height is capped at 60 feet.

Posted: 4:20 p.m. Tuesday, July 31, 2018

An seven-story office building that could be up to 96 feet tall is being planned for a site just south of Lady Bird Lake that now houses a Schlotzsky’s restaurant.

The property is appraised at about $6.2 million by the Travis Central Appraisal District.

Heather Chaffin, the city’s zoning case manager for the proposed project, said plans call for a building with about 154,000 square feet of office space and 26,000 square feet of pedestrian-oriented uses on the ground floor..

The developer is offering up to $20,000 to upgrade an adjacent Capital Metro bus stop.

Proposed development site

South Lamar Boulevard is identified as an “activity corridor” in the city’s Imagine Austin comprehensive plan, according to the developer, and the new building would mesh with what city planners envisioned for the area.

“Activity corridors call for a variety of activities and types of buildings located along the roadways,” the developer said in a submission to the city. “Specifically, this project will provide an office use along the portion of the South Lamar corridor between Riverside Drive and Barton Springs Road where there are currently no other office uses, thereby providing a vibrant, needed use for the corridor.”

But some area residents say the project is not a good fit for the location.

Dave Piper, president of the Zilker Neighborhood Association, said the site is better suited for a residential use.

“Here’s a perfect opportunity to put in residential housing that the city claims we need,” Piper said. “Do they really mean what they say when they talk about the need for more residential density?”

Chaffin said the site’s existing zoning allows a mix of residential office and commercial uses, though it does not require a mix. A development could be all residential, all commercial/office, or a combination of uses.

Jeff Jack, a resident of the nearby Zilker neighborhood, said: “My personal concern is that the building is too tall at 96 feet” for a location where height is capped at 60 feet.

“In short another step in turning the south shore into an expanded downtown, walling off both sides of the river corridor one project at a time,” Jack said.

In a controversial case, a site just across South Lamar that formerly housed a Taco Cabana received PUD zoning and 96 feet of allowable height, although that project has yet to break ground.

The 218 S. Lamar development would have access to both South Lamar and Toomey Street, Chaffin said.

All parking would be in an underground garage, and parking would be made available to the public after hours, Swor said.

Portions of the garage could be used for parking and storage by the Zach Theatre, which is located next door, according to city filings.

Those filings indicate the ground-floor uses could include retailers and a high-turnover restaurant.

Once the PUD application is submitted, it will be reviewed by city staff and undergo other reviews by various city committees, Chaffin said. The Austin City Council will have the final say on the zoning change, she said.

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That goddamn Caravel is an Austin institution!  That Carpenter HOtel (which is weird, because given the material---it should be the Mason or Bricklayer Hotel) was bound to change the dynamics of everything around there.  That Hotel's developer and Huston Street are gonna completely change the face of that whole area from the River to Barton Springs, and Toomey to Dawson.  So cute people thought it was gonna house a soccer stadium.  

Uh, have you been to that corner of South Austin lately? Aside from the trailer park and Casa de Luz, nothing over there is the same as it was 10 years ago.

True, but that block next to the hotel, the one by the wine bar, the scholotskty's lot, the mattress firm, the coffee joint/taco bell spot, the old jack-in-box, the old taco cabana, the block just west of the new hotel/north of juliet, and the other empty block down by Chuys.  All under development contract in the next few years.  Obviously a lot has changed, but about another 20-25% of that whole area is going to drasstically change in the next decade or less.  Big chunk considering we're not really talking about an area that big in terms of square blocks.  

• 2 weeks later...

This is...interesting.  I'm for it.  It's not my money.

https://robbreport.com/shelter/new-construction/forza-race-track-development-in-austin-2811311/

If you have the need for speed, you should race to reserve a luxe unit at Forza, a forthcoming real estate development and supercar club that will overlook the Circuit of the Americas Formula 1 race track in Austin, Texas. Developed by Forza-COTA in partnership with the Circuit of the Americas, the one-of-a-kind project will be located near the border of the track—giving racing aficionados the rare opportunity to actually live near the heart of the action.

Permits for the trackside project are awaiting final approval from the city of Austin; once finalized, the project is expected to break ground in fall 2019 and open in 2021. The four-tower development will house around 150 units (including 10 penthouses). Some residences offer views of up to 18 of the 20 track turns for an unforgettable viewing experience, and the penthouses come with private infinity pools and balconies. Ranging from 2,000 square feet to 6,500 square feet, the townhomes and penthouses showcase two- to four-car glass garages that allow residents to proudly display their supercars (though there’s no word yet as to whether any cars will be used as one-of-a-kind room dividers).

1z3s77c.jpg

21vi3s.jpg

2q1rmkw.jpg

11t0b69.jpg

2rxwf9v.jpg

28jdvzb.jpg

2z6e1qa.jpg

https://nathanlandreville.com/work/#/forza/

4gqgll.jpg

6dwwzp.jpg

10s9dop.jpg

13z7805.jpg

5zr1ts.jpg

i2uiqs.jpg

• 6 months later...

From AustinGoesVertical on SSP:

Have some news. The School of Deaf on South Congress was just sold to a developer.

This is what I’ve heard through the grapevine, so it could be it hasn’t officially closed yet. But I was told a developer was buying it. I thought they meant it was done but maybe they meant “in the process” of buying it. I’m not comfortable saying what broker company it is, but it comes from a reliable place.

Take it FWIW, but apparently part of the deal includes a contingency for a new state of the art facility to be built somewhere else and development on this specific site would be within 5 years, not necessarily immediate. I don’t know any other details.

From AustinGoesVertical on SSP:

Have some news. The School of Deaf on South Congress was just sold to a developer.
This is what I’ve heard through the grapevine, so it could be it hasn’t officially closed yet. But I was told a developer was buying it. I thought they meant it was done but maybe they meant “in the process” of buying it. I’m not comfortable saying what broker company it is, but it comes from a reliable place.
Take it FWIW, but apparently part of the deal includes a contingency for a new state of the art facility to be built somewhere else and development on this specific site would be within 5 years, not necessarily immediate. I don’t know any other details.

Wasn’t there a poster on TOS claiming that this deal was close? I feel like it was a year or two ago.

Wasn't me, but I echoed what that poster said having gleaned details from people intimately tied to the deal.  And some other poster just blew up and berated us for even suggesting it.  

Though it's largely a "correlation isn't causation" issue, the shift in the Permanent School Fund should be a subtle indicator.  Coverage, if you will.  

23 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wasn't me, but I echoed what that poster said having gleaned details from people intimately tied to the deal.  And some other poster just blew up and berated us for even suggesting it.  

Though it's largely a "correlation isn't causation" issue, the shift in the Permanent School Fund should be a subtle indicator.  Coverage, if you will.  

That was me, and in my defense, I was very drunk that night. I will say though that the sell of the entire site would still be very, very surprising. I think my reaction was due to perceiving that you thought it was a "good" thing at the time. I can't recall if that was actually the case.

Regardless, I apologize for coming off as an angry dick.

That said, I do know for a certainty that the state's Deaf community sees that campus as hallowed ground, having been located on the same site since the 1850s. Its sale would equal the emotional blow to the selling the UT campus for Texas alumni. To have a better understanding of its significance, it's the oldest public school site in the state - whether deaf, hearing, college, or K-12.

While there are indeed other schools in the state that have deaf public school students, there's no other comparison. That campus is the de facto deaf school for the entire state of Texas. Just go there for homecoming and you'll see the effect. Although they can't hear, I don't see them going "quietly" into that night if this rumor is true. It will get ugly very fast.

Deaf people see themselves as being a minority community that has been historically discriminated against (think the phrase "deaf and dumb") and closing down and relocating their school would be akin to closing down an HBCU for a real estate play.

I'm certain of all this because my daughter was a student there from the age of 2 to 18, having just graduated last year. So, I feel I've got about as good a handle of the state's Deaf community as any hearing person. Plus, in all honesty, I think it'd be a really shitty and unforgivable move by the State of Texas.

• Like 5

Well said and I totally agree.  There are few state icons that can match the place for social, cultural, and educational importance. TSD is a state treasure, IMO.

My high school (St. Edward’s)played TSD in football in the early 1960s. They were pretty good at one point (had a really tough 19 year old guy who kicked ass). The girls drill team precision marching routines were impressive to watch - following a drum beat was no easy task for sure. One of my classmate’s sister went to school there and graduated.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

I took ASL as a “foreign” language in college. My teacher was deaf and she taught us a lot about deaf culture. She had us go to events at TSD, including football games. Everything bolverk is saying is true. It’s a tight knit minority community that will absolutely raise hell if they aren’t on board with the move. I haven’t studied the issue at all but my gut reaction is that this is bullshit. The school existed for 94 years before the SBOE gained control in 1951. They survived the civil war making their own clothes and growing their own food at this location. To say the history runs deep would be an understatement. 

• Like 2

I'm awful with names, even message board handles.  Does serve me well on occasion though, because I never hold grudges.  No need to apologize.  And for the record, I never thought it was a "good" thing.  Was merely indicating that they were initial whispers that you glean when a major public project is about to get privatized.  

Anyway, what is accelerating it is the shift in the Permanent School Fund.  Obviously at the district level, we're seeing the proposed modifications in school finance reform, but the PSF having its control shifted is being done to make real estate deals on certain properties (the School for the Deaf chief among them) more "attractive"  We can discuss offline because it's sensitive to people we know.  My sister had hearing issues (though mostly cognitive processing, but a bit on the auditory side), my wife as an SLP has worked with hundreds of hearing impaired children/YA for two decades, and as such I don't want to see that footprint go.  But the powers that be see a shift in blame opportunity.  

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Well said and I totally agree.  There are few state icons that can match the place for social, cultural, and educational importance. TSD is a state treasure, IMO.

My high school (St. Edward’s)played TSD in football in the early 1960s. They were pretty good at one point (had a really tough 19 year old guy who kicked ass). The girls drill team precision marching routines were impressive to watch - following a drum beat was no easy task for sure. One of my classmate’s sister went to school there and graduated.

They're definitely no slouches when it comes to athleticism, having won multiple state championships in the TAAPS league in multiple sports, as well as national championships among state deaf schools (each state seems to have its own - California has two) in all kinds of sports. The absolute incredible pride that Texas Deafies have in TSD is really hard to convey.

If you've ever had the occasion to watch a football game off South First from their field with Austin's downtown in the background you might catch a glimpse of the "specialness" of the place.

I don't want to get too political about this, but I think most can agree that Texas isn't necessarily known for its social largesse. For whatever reason, however, we've got an incredible reputation in regards to how our Deaf community is treated in this state, and I've "talked" with multiple Deaf educators who surmise that the mere prominent presence of TSD's campus has played a role in this. In most states, the Deaf school is tucked away in a hidden and in a small town and is a forgotten kind of place, but not here.

It's actually something that we should take great pride in as Deaf families move to Austin from all over the country just to provide their children with a top-notch education. Again, having had a deaf child, my ex-wife and I looked at all of our options (we fortunately already lived in Austin) and the only school in the entire country (and, hence, world) that beat TSD was one that was affiliated with Gallaudet in Maryland. Connecticut was also in the mix. In all other respects, TSD beat every single one of its peers amongst all other public Deaf schools in the country.

We don't often have the chance to brag about public education in this state (except for UT), and I'd argue that the prominent location of both schools in the state capital plays a critical role in each of their successes. I'd even go so far as to say that the campus' location near downtown and along South Congress gave my daughter a great start to understanding how to interact with the wider hearing community when she went off campus with friends to shop, dine, and just hang out for fun.

If some developer comes along, buys the campus, and builds one elsewhere, it'll never be able to replicate the educational experiences that Deaf Texas kids currently gain at their present location. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'm awful with names, even message board handles.  Does serve me well on occasion though, because I never hold grudges.  No need to apologize.  And for the record, I never thought it was a "good" thing.  Was merely indicating that they were initial whispers that you glean when a major public project is about to get privatized.  

Anyway, what is accelerating it is the shift in the Permanent School Fund.  Obviously at the district level, we're seeing the proposed modifications in school finance reform, but the PSF having its control shifted is being done to make real estate deals on certain properties (the School for the Deaf chief among them) more "attractive"  We can discuss offline because it's sensitive to people we know.  My sister had hearing issues (though mostly cognitive processing, but a bit on the auditory side), my wife as an SLP has worked with hundreds of hearing impaired children/YA for two decades, and as such I don't want to see that footprint go.  But the powers that be see a shift in blame opportunity.  

I honestly don't think I can talk about this issue in a rational manner at this point, but I appreciate you reaching out. Believe me, I understand the value of the "dirt" but I really have a hard time reconciling the supposed calculus that my beloved state's government has problemed through to reach this short-sighted decision.

Any legislator that is in favor of this is going to have egg all over his/her face when (literally) hundreds of Deaf folks show up on the steps of the Capitol and make very loud, awkward sounding noises.

Just as an anecdote, my 89 year old father-in-law has often told me the story of being a high school student at Concordia in the early ‘40’s and getting their asses kicked by the TSD team on the football field. 

He said he and his teammates expected an easy win and were shocked at getting rolled by TSD. 

1 hour ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Just as an anecdote, my 89 year old father-in-law has often told me the story of being a high school student at Concordia in the early ‘40’s and getting their asses kicked by the TSD team on the football field. 

He said he and his teammates expected an easy win and were shocked at getting rolled by TSD. 

Prior to my daughter being born and before knowing a single thing about Deaf culture, I had a friend who officiated football games and told me a similar story about a kid who was like a bowling ball that just ran through every defense he saw.

On the other hand, my daughter's softball team kicked some serious ass on a national level.

Edited by bolverk

6 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I was shocked when Concordia sold out to the developers and built the new campus at 2222 & 620. Was really sad to see that beautiful little campus and cool baseball field disappear and be replaced by those uglyass “modern” boxes.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

Prior to my daughter being born and before knowing a single thing about Deaf culture, I had a friend who officiated football games and told me a similar story about a kid who was like a bowling ball that just ran through every defense he saw.

On the other hand, my daughter's softball team kicked some serious ass on a national level.

Well, they are Texas girls, aren’t”t they? Or do they attract a lot of out of state kids? If so, do do those non Texans have to pay higher tuition ?

Laguna Gloria is getting an facilities addition, the road is finally being improved, parking additions, sidewalks, etc.  It ain't going anywhere for a long while.  Same for Camp Mabry.

Muny is beyond gone.  Say your goodbyes now.  The punting of the short-term lease extension was theater.  The Regents are pulling the plug on that thing the next time the Legislature drops funding or oil loses $10/barrel.  

Laguna Gloria is getting an facilities addition, the road is finally being improved, parking additions, sidewalks, etc.  It ain't going anywhere for a long while.  Same for Camp Mabry.
Muny is beyond gone.  Say your goodbyes now.  The punting of the short-term lease extension was theater.  The Regents are pulling the plug on that thing the next time the Legislature drops funding or oil loses $10/barrel.  
I can attest to this. My partner and I own the 711 right there. They told Corporate we got 3 years left.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk