NBA Fantasy Island

Goo Punch

We did this four years ago and we should do it again during the lulls in the Finals (of which there are many). We take 8 people who are willing to fully commit to a veritable Dungeons and Dragons for basketball nerds. If you sign up for this you need to be able to commit to drafting an all-time NBA fantasy team (pick an individual season for one specific player), and then creating its lineups and strategy vs an opposing team, as well as making your case as to why your team should win. The Surly public will be able to vote on individual matchups until we have a winner. Posters who participated last time automatically regain their place. I don’t mind expanding (in theory) if there’s a wild demand for participants, but in that case I think doing two separate 8-team tournaments would be better than expanding to a 16-team field. Y’all down to clown?

We did this four years ago and we should do it again during the lulls in the Finals (of which there are many). We take 8 people who are willing to fully commit to a veritable Dungeons and Dragons for basketball nerds. If you sign up for this you need to be able to commit to drafting an all-time NBA fantasy team (pick an individual season for one specific player), and then creating its lineups and strategy vs an opposing team, as well as making your case as to why your team should win. The Surly public will be able to vote on individual matchups until we have a winner. Posters who participated last time automatically regain their place. I don’t mind expanding (in theory) if there’s a wild demand for participants, but in that case I think doing two separate 8-team tournaments would be better than expanding to a 16-team field. Y’all down to clown?

I’m in as long as its a snake draft.

25 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I'm probably not going to participate, but hope ppl do so I can lurk.

Out of curiosity, is a player limited to existing one time or could a team conceivably have 3 LeBron James's playing from different years in his career? 

You’d have to pick which season from LeBron’s career you wanted. This played a huge part in the game last time. One guy gets LBJ from whichever year he deems him to be at his best.

Edited by Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When are you thinking of starting this? I will probably have to take a pass this go around because of travel. 

It's been so long since the last one that I can't remember.... did I win?

All I remember from last time is that 3/5 of my starters were from the Dream Team, including MJ, and I lost in the second round by a vote of about 95-5 before I’d even made my statements due to some some typical, petty shaggy nonsense. Thankfully I was on vacation when it happened so I didn’t care as much, but I’ve always wanted to do it again. I don’t care if we wait until the Finals are over to do this, I’ve got the itch.

Edited by Goo Punch

45 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I won last time. As best I can remember my lineup was Duane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Dennis Rodman, Moses Malone, Ben Wallace. Allen Iverson and Ray Allen off the bench.

Would play again.

I'll take things you didn't win for $500, Alex. Your usage rate all-star team didn't even make the finals.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/147259-Fantasy-Historic-NBA-Final-MitchCumsteen-vs-BaggyBevo

And here's the classic matchup where me and the Derka-haters dethroned MJ.  You can put Team Cumsteen right up there with the Bad Boy Pistons, Father Time and internet memes that have all gotten the better of Michael Jordan.

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/147083-Fantasy-Historic-NBA-Final-4-MitchCumsteen-vs-Derka-Derka

• Like 1

Instead of a snake draft..... it'd be more interesting (but admittedly far more difficult) to do an auction type draft.  I don't remember how you structured your draft but it would seem whoever got the first couple of picks would be at a tremendous advantage.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

Lmao, my team with Stockton, Jordan, Barkley, and MVP Steph Curry lost by a 3-1 margin. Don’t get me wrong, I would have played it differently had I been able to do the draft all over again, but my team was nothing but shooters and athletes who would have run almost any other team out of the gym. You’d be hard pressed to find a team that could outscore mine, and we’d have won every game 140-133.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Instead of a snake draft..... it'd be more interesting (but admittedly far more difficult) to do an auction type draft.  I don't remember how you structured your draft but it would seem whoever got the first couple of picks would be at a tremendous advantage.  

I totally agree with this, and I was fortunate enough to get the no.1 overall pick last time.

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Lmao, my team with Stockton, Jordan, Barkley, and MVP Steph Curry lost by a 3-1 margin. Don’t get me wrong, I would have played it differently had I been able to do the draft all over again, but my team was nothing but shooters and athletes who would have run almost any other team out of the gym. You’d be hard pressed to find a team that could outscore mine, and we’d have won every game 140-133.

Well... Steph Curry wasn't an MVP yet back then. He's going to be drafted much higher now, I'd imagine. Also, you were always going to lose at Center with Artis/ Pau and at small forward with Paul Pierce. But I thought your fatal mistake was the year that you selected for Barkley. It just so happened that it was the same year I had McHale and McHale was 1st team all NBA and Charles was 2nd team. I always thought Barkley was the slightly better player overall but you literally picked the only season where I could make an objective argument otherwise. To me, that was enough to tilt the scales in my favor. Kidd and Stockton were essentially a wash. MJ was going to win out over every other 2 guard in the history of the league, regardless. I took the other 3 spots in the starting lineup. The gap between MJ and MVP KD wasn't as great as the gap between Bird / Pierce and the gap between Pau & Artis / Chief. Throw in a slight advantage to McHale and then of course there were all the folks who just wanted to poke the bear.

59 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'll take things you didn't win for $500, Alex. Your usage rate all-star team didn't even make the finals.

Ha. Damn that's right.  I lost the quarterfinal by 1 and then had votes come in after the deadline to push me over the edge.  Maybe I was thinking of the other Fantasy Island thing we did.  I could have sworn I won one of them.

I SHOULD have won though. C'mon this is a solid team that would D you up.  They could speed you up or slow you down.  My bench would run everyone out of the gym.  But Thibodeau tho.  Oof.

Team: Lazy Engineer
Coach: Tom Thibodeau, 13-14

G: Dwyane Wade, 08-09
G: Kobe Bryant, 05-06
F: Dennis Rodman, 91-92
F: Ben Wallace, 01-02
😄 Moses Malone, 82-83

Bench:
G: Steve Nash, 05-06
G: Allen Iverson, 00-01
F: Julius Erving, 80-81
F: Shawn Marion, 05-06
F: Blake Griffin, 13-14

Just now, HookEm said:

Ha. Damn that's right.  I lost the quarterfinal by 1 and then had votes come in after the deadline to push me over the edge.  Maybe I was thinking of the other Fantasy Island thing we did. I could have sworn I won one of them.

I SHOULD have won though. C'mon this is a solid team that would D you up.  They could speed you up or slow you down.  My bench would run everyone out of the gym.  But Thibodeau tho.  Oof.

😄 Moses Malone, 82-83

Bench:
F: Blake Griffin, 13-14

Nah, that one was never finished because I was just smoking everyone else. And I’m actually not joking here, that really did happen.

Food: Chicken fried steak with cream gravy and toast

Movie: Pulp Fiction

TV Show: Lonesome Dove

Drink: SoCo, which I believe was the last alcohol taken off the board, and what gave me my edge

Book: The Godfather

Video game: MLB The Show

Woman: Miranda Kerr

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Ha. Damn that's right.  I lost the quarterfinal by 1 and then had votes come in after the deadline to push me over the edge.  Maybe I was thinking of the other Fantasy Island thing we did.  I could have sworn I won one of them.

😄 Moses Malone, 82-83

Bench: