Sunglasses - Ray Ban or...

I've been wearing some Knoxville S by Electric for a few months and like them.  My requirements: polarized lens option, sturdy, tortoise frame, "traditional" styling, not owned by Luxotica.  I'm pretty sure that last one is true :)

ee15113966_0000_l.png

http://www.electriccalifornia.com/mens/sunglasses/best-sellers/knoxville-s-matte-blk-m-grey-884932300618.html

On 6/4/2018 at 3:20 PM, crash_davis said:

3 choices.  do you care about lens clarify, polarization, or is it all about style and brand name?

i classify sunglasses into 3 categories.

1. cheapo: they are cheap but you get what you pay for, meaning shitty lens and subpar clarity.  do NOT bother buying cheap polarized sunglasses.  cheap polarized sunglasses fucking suck  and you are an idiot if you buy a pair.

2. fashion, most all sunglasses: learn this word - luxottica.  all you need know is that they prob own 75% of all name brand fashion sunglasses that you can buy, this includes ran bay and oakley.  lens are good, quality is good, pricing is arbitrary based on fashion name.  i do believe oakley still keeps their lens technology to themselves.  all the other fashion brands prob share the same lens.

3. costa del mar: the 580P glass lens are hands down THE BEST lens in sunglasses, there isn't a close second.  clarity and polarization are incredible.  the downside is that they are catered towards sport, mainly fishing, so styling is limited and mainly on the sporty side.  

i have costas for everyday sunglasses, especially if i'm on the lake.  i have a pair of persols if i am dressing nice, for example wearing a suit, or don't want to look like a frat boy at nice event.

Mostly right (I sold sunglasses a long time ago and still keep up with a lot of it).  I would only buy: Oakley, Maui Jim, Costa, Persol, Revo, or *some* Ray-Bans at this point.  Everything Luxottica is the same, except Oakley lenses are still a totally separate entity, Persol still uses their classic lenses, and Ray-Ban has a small number of lenses you won't find in the other brands (their tech series polarized for example).  The other brands are still independent, and have made high quality lenses for a long time.    I've heard good things about Randolph Engineering, but haven't ever owned a pair.  I personally find Oakley frames the most comfortable, so I have more of those than the others.  

And a lot of this goes out the window if you're looking at prescription (often you're not getting the brand's lens, only the frame, depending on your optometrist/insurance).  I'm talking off the shelf lenses.